Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Emperor (of Byzantium)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Poll Question: Who was the Greatest Emperor? (364-1453)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
55 [35.71%]
16 [10.39%]
1 [0.65%]
3 [1.95%]
3 [1.95%]
57 [37.01%]
1 [0.65%]
1 [0.65%]
4 [2.60%]
13 [8.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Emperor (of Byzantium)
    Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 11:30
Originally posted by ihsan

Originally posted by Master of Puppets

Basil II was great, but he was lucky to have a relatively quiet Eastern Front (unlike Heraclius, (duh )).

Not that quiet actually. He conquered Armenia and pushed the Byzantine-Muslim frontier to the other side of the Taurus, also capturing important Northern Ftmid towns.

You can't be Ihsan, you called the "Eastern Roman Empire" as the Byzantine Empire? WHO ARE YOU? LOL

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Aug-2004 at 15:15

I voted for Leo III. He put stability back in the country after the pointless power struggles of various weak emeperors who didn't see the threat from the east. It must be some odd case of luck that Leo III got the throne when he did. He was a true soldier after years of dumb rulers (in a military point of view). None the previous rulers could have kept the Arabs from entering Constantinople and have not stayed inside the city to govern the defence himself.

Justinian just had Belisarios, (and one general more who was a rather genius) and a crazy idea of restoring the former Roman borders, little to do with the battles AFAIK. The laws he created were his legacy and the uprising of Nike aswell.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 04:52

Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

Erm, I hope someone can explain to me how is it that the Roman Empire was only 500 years while the East was in for a 1000 years. Rome began in the 800s BC (and is now being estimated to be a century earlier than that), and the Roman Empire lasted until 476 (West), which, IIRC, is a lot more than 500 years. Also, the Eastern Roman Empire survived until the fall of Constantinople in 1453, but, like Ihsan said, it's culture fell in the 7th century.

I think that IIRC meant that the Roman Empire (not the Roman Republic) from Octavianus Augustus...

Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 05:07
Originally posted by rider

Erm, I hope someone can explain to me how is it that the Roman Empire was only 500 years while the East was in for a 1000 years. Rome began in the 800s BC (and is now being estimated to be a century earlier than that), and the Roman Empire lasted until 476 (West), which, IIRC, is a lot more than 500 years. Also, the Eastern Roman Empire survived until the fall of Constantinople in 1453, but, like Ihsan said, it's culture fell in the 7th century.

I think that IIRC meant that the Roman Empire (not the Roman Republic) from Octavianus Augustus...

Rome began in the 800s?

By 735 Rome is supposed to be founded (even though there are no evidences besides what later Roman authors told about that date). Until the late 7th century it was a small and insignificant (even in Latium) agricultural settlement. In the period of the Etruscan kings (616-509 BC, IIRC) Rome started to grow a tad bit and become the later powerhouse it became. The true Roman expansion started in the 5th century BC.

And the Roman Empire lived in the West for a mere 500 years, so much is true. In the East, the same Empire lived on for more than a thousand years. Ain't that a treat?

Scythian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Scythian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 21:29
Heraclius had a lot of bad luck
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 22:31

Heraclius had a lot of bad luck

Very true.

Edited by Ptolemy
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 23:00
Originally posted by Scythian

So, I vote for Basil II.

But.. but.. he killed a lot of Bulgars!

Anyway, I voted for Manuel Palaeologus, I've always favored the intellectual. If Julian was on the list I'd vote for him although he wasn't exactly a "Byzantine" emperor but then he wasn't exactly a Roman emperor either in the classical sense of the word.
Master of Puppets View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 04:26

[Q]Not that quiet actually. He conquered Armenia and pushed the Byzantine-Muslim frontier to the other side of the Taurus, also capturing important Northern Ftmid towns.[/Q]

Well, uhm... what I meant was that the threat posed by the Arab nations at that time wasn't as grave as the Persian and Arab threat under Heraclius and the Arab threat under Leo III, that's all

And Heraclius indeed had a lot of bad luck. You have barely overcome an almost hopeless situation, are barely restoring from it and then there comes another gulf

Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245
Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 05:12

Yup, Heraclius was in deeeeep crap. Beating back the Persian was considered an almost impossible task at the time and he did it with the greatest skill and ability, and by the same time consolidated the other borders and laid foundations for the progress of the empire.

He did though a mistake: the Byzantine agents and the Christian Arabs did a great work at warning him for the potential danger the new religion posed... but he didn't pay much attention (for one reason or another) and the results are known... The Christian Arabs, before Islam consolidated its powers, were more powerful and could have strangled the newly found religion before it could pose a serious threat. But the Byzantines didn't pay attention... Both them and the Persian would be paying the price. The Persian even more, since their culture barely survived under Islam (even though it later thrived again).

Edited by Rebelsoul
Ptolemy View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Ptolemy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 21:25
Heraclius' treatment of the Christians in Syria and Egypt wasn't helpful either.
Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 01:05

Originally posted by Ptolemy

Heraclius' treatment of the Christians in Syria and Egypt wasn't helpful either.

Egypt as well... yes, it played a decisive role in the loss of the middle east and egypt (seing as many, if not most of, the inhabitants were not excactly fond of the imperial rule)

Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 15:51

Rome began in the 800s?

It's called a typo, I suppose the perfect Greeks have never had one huh?

Anyway, Justinian and Heraclius were the best IMO. Both made mistakes. Justinian managed to keep the Sassanians at bay, and reconquered a lot of the Western Roman Empire back, and even rebuilt the city of Constantinople after the Nika Riot. But he also made a few mistakes. He was the one who started the Nika Riot (IIRC), and he did weaken the empire deeply which may have influenced the later Sassanian invasion that forced Heraclius to beat them back in the first place.

Heraclius did an amazing job in reforming the economy, raising and army, and astonishingly, recovering all Roman territory lost to Persia, AND forcing them to a peace treaty after the sharp defeat. However, he killed the Roman Empire culturally....

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 01:47

I think Heraclius was very important as he played a significant role in the Hellanization of the empire. Some people say he was the reason for the foundation of the modern Greek nation by replacing Latin with vernacular Greek. It completely changed the face of the empire.

And he was Armenian! As was Basil II (who reconquered Syria, Greece, as well as destroying the Bulgar army), John Tzimiskes and John Ducas. John Tzmiskes overthrew and killed Emperor Nikephorus Phokas to take the throne. Actually, 70% of the empire's existence was under the rule of Armenian emperors.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 07:08
I don't know if Hellenization was a good thing. Hehe, centuries of Romans fighting Hellenizing influence and the Eastern Empire embraces it... LOL!  And Heraclius was not Armenian, he was a Latin from Carthage (born) and through his mother's side Latin as she was a descendant of Roman colonists throughout the area. I'm not really sure about Heraclius's father, though, maybe he was African too? I mean, he was Military Exarch of Carthage.

Edited by Imperatore Dario I

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 16:49

You can't be Ihsan, you called the "Eastern Roman Empire" as the Byzantine Empire? WHO ARE YOU? LOL

Bah, just an old "tradition"

Roman-Muslim Frontier

[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
Rebelsoul View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Rebelsoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 01:17
Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

I think Heraclius was very important as he played a significant role in the Hellanization of the empire. Some people say he was the reason for the foundation of the modern Greek nation by replacing Latin with vernacular Greek. It completely changed the face of the empire.

And he was Armenian! As was Basil II (who reconquered Syria, Greece, as well as destroying the Bulgar army), John Tzimiskes and John Ducas. John Tzmiskes overthrew and killed Emperor Nikephorus Phokas to take the throne. Actually, 70% of the empire's existence was under the rule of Armenian emperors.

Heraclius was Armenian? Now that's funny, all sources give him as Greek by his father (I haven't seen anything about his mother though, his father was the offspring of a very well known Greek family) not even "with Armenian blood" (as was the case with Basil II and John Ducas and Tzimiskes - btw you can't call "Armenian" someone who doesn't even speak Armenian, the most you can tell is "he had Armenian blood by his father's side").  What would an Armenian governor be doing in Cyrenaica anyway?

And that 70% is a gross (extremely gross) innacuracy... only one dynasty was Armenian (read: rulers who could be considered "Armenian", didn't just have a drop of Armenian blood in their bloodline) while about 85% of the emperors from Heraclius until the bitter end, were Greek.

Edited by Rebelsoul
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 12:26
Erm, I am not sure if he is qualified as Greek. I did read that Heraclius' father was in fact born in Armenia, but, how many Greeks were in fact in Armenia? Also, his mother was from Cappadocia, an area IIRC populated by Romans, not Greeks, right?

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 03:44

I don't know if Hellenization was a good thing. Hehe, centuries of Romans fighting Hellenizing influence and the Eastern Empire embraces it... LOL! 

I guess the strongest culture prevailed after all

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 18:04
Originally posted by Yiannis

I don't know if Hellenization was a good thing. Hehe, centuries of Romans fighting Hellenizing influence and the Eastern Empire embraces it... LOL! 

I guess the strongest culture prevailed after all

Evil Yiannis

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 16:09
Cappadocia was inhabited by Greek-speakers AFAIK.
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>