Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Central Database of Shoah Victims’ Names

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Central Database of Shoah Victims’ Names
    Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 17:14
The Yad Vashem Museum in Israel maintains a list of those killed during the holocaust.

It's terrifying to browse through it and see these names. Sometimes they have the same name as you, other times they're the same age.

At the same time it's interesting to browse through the information and see where people from your part of the world were killed. Also where they were from, what was their profession, and their families.

From browsing through the site I've found that a lot of Sarajevo's Jews were killed in Auschwitz, something I didn't know. I also found out far more were killed at a lesser-known camp in Dakovo, Croatia, than were killed at the "Auschwitz of Yugoslavia", Jasenovac.

I'll share a few of the stories I found that touched me, and I'd encourage you all to take a look and do so yourselves!

Firstly what strikes me is the number of people from the same family who were killed, and how even a single family from a single town was decimated in different camps hundreds of kilometers apart:

Sarika Alkalaj was born in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia in 1926 to Moritz and Rivka. She was a pupil and a child. Prior to WWII she lived in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. During the war was in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. Sarika died in 1943 in Jasenovac, Yugoslavia at the age of 17.

Sara Alkalaj was born in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia in 1878. Prior to WWII she lived in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. During the war was in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. Sara died in Djakovo, Yugoslavia.

Rena Alkalaj was born in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia in 1891. She was married. Prior to WWII she lived in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. During the war was in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. Rena died in Djakovo, Yugoslavia.

Luna Alkalaj was born in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia in 1936 to Roza. She was a child. Prior to WWII she lived in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. During the war was in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. Luna died in 1942 in Djakovo, Yugoslavia at the age of 6.

Roza Alkalaj was born in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia in 1909. She was married. Prior to WWII she lived in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. During the war was in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. Roza died in Djakovo, Yugoslavia.

Menahem Alkalaj was born in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia in 1918 to Izidor and Blanka Gaon. He was a student and single. Prior to WWII he lived in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. During the war was in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. Menahem died in Jasenovac, Yugoslavia.

And others you know of personally. These are the relatives of my friend, "Eva" (Eveta):

Rivka Romano nee Barukh was born in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia in 1922 to Meir and Berta. She was a seamstress and married. Prior to WWII she lived in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. During the war was in Slavonska Pozega, Yugoslavia. Rivka died in 1944 in Slavonice.

Salomon Romano was born in Serajevo, Yugoslavia in 1875 to Moshe. He was a tinsmith and married. Prior to WWII he lived in Serajevo, Yugoslavia. During the war was in Serajevo, Yugoslavia. Salomon died in 1944 in Auschwitz.

Sara Romano was born in Mostar, Yugoslavia to Isak and Lea. She was a housewife and married to Leon. Prior to WWII she lived in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. During the war was in Auschwitz, Poland. Sara died in Auschwitz, Poland at the age of 48.

Lenka Romano was born in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia in 1906 to Zadik. She was a teacher. Prior to WWII she lived in Gradacac, Yugoslavia. During the war was in Gradacac, Yugoslavia. Lenka died in 1942 in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia.

Estera Romano was born in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia in 1922 to Tin. Prior to WWII she lived in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. During the war was in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia. Estera died in 1942 in Dakovo, Yugoslavia.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply