Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Novi Sad, Serbia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Novi Sad, Serbia
    Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 17:06
NOVI SAD vojvodina
S E R B I A  A N D  M O N T E N E G R O

Source: Wikipedia. This city has some Hungarian history and it might seem like I'm trying to take Serbia and Montenegro apart piece by piece but that's not why I chose it. Any city where my people were treated like this I'd be proud to call my own someday as well! It has one of the most interesting histories of Serbian cities:

Novi Sad (Нови Сад, Nov Sad, jvidk, Neusatz an der Donau, Neoplanta) is a city located in Serbia and Montenegro; it lies in the northern Serbian province of Vojvodina and is located on the banks of the Danube river.

It is the capital city of the Vojvodina province and a large industrial and cultural centre. Its name means "New Planting" (noun) in Serbian.

Novi Sad City is divided into two municipalities: Novi Sad and Petrovaradin. Between 1980 and 1989, the city was divided into seven municipalities: Stari Grad, Podunavlje, Liman, Slavija, Petrovaradin, Detelinara, and Sremski Karlovci.

The city's population was 215,659 in 2002 and 298,139 with the surrounding inhabited places of the municipalities included. An unofficial estimate of the current city population is approximately 240,000-250,000.

According to the 2002 census, the population of Novi Sad is composed of Serbs (75.50%), Hungarians (5.24%), Yugoslavs (3.17%), Slovaks (2.41%), Croats (2.09%), Montenegrins (1.68%) and others. Most of the inhabited places in the municipalities have a ethnic Serb majority, while the village of Kisač has a ethnic Slovak majority.

Human settlement in the territory of present-day Novi Sad has been traced as far back as the Stone Age (about 4500 BC). This settlement was located on the right side of the river Danube in the territory of present day Petrovaradin. This region was conquered by Celts (in the 4th century BC) and Romans (in the 1st century BC).

The Celts founded the first fortress at this location, which was located on the right bank of the Danube. During Roman rule, a larger fortress was built in the 1st century with the name Cusum and included in Roman Pannonia. In the 5th century, Cusum was devastated by the invasion of the Huns.

By the end of the 5th century, Byzantines had reconstructed the city and called it by the names Cusum and Petrikon. The city in time became conquered by the Ostrogoths, Gepids, Avars, Franks, Bulgarians, and again by the Byzantines.

The city was conquered by the Kingdom of Hungary (in the 12th century); by the Ottoman Empire (in 1526), and by the Habsburg Monarchy (in 1687). The city was first mentioned under the name Petrovaradin (Ptervrad) in documents from 1237.

Petrovaradin was known under the name Ptervrad under Hungarian rule, Varadin under Ottoman rule, and Peterwardein under Habsburg rule.

During the Ottoman rule, Petrovaradin had 200 houses, and three mosques. There was also a Christian quarter with 35 houses populated with ethnic Serbs.

At the outset of the Habsburg rule, people of Orthodox faith were forbidden from residing in Petrovaradin, thus Serbs were largely unable to build homes in the city. Because of this, a new settlement was founded in 1694 on the left bank of the Danube. The initial name of this settlement was Serb City (Ratzen Stadt). The settlement officially gained the name Novi Sad in 1748 when it became a "free royal city".

For much of the 18th and 19th centuries, Novi Sad was the largest city populated with ethnic Serbs (The reformer of the Serbian language, Vuk Stefanović Karadić, wrote in 1817 that Novi Sad is the "largest Serb municipality in the world"). It was a cultural and political centre of Serbs, who did not have their own national state at the time. Because of its cultural and political influence, Novi Sad became known as the Serb Athens (Srpska Atina in Serbian). In 1820 Novi Sad had 20,000 inhabitants, of whom about 2/3 were Serbs.

During the Revolution of 1848-1849, Novi Sad was part of Serbian Vojvodina, a Serbian autonomous region within Habsburg Empire. In 1849 the Hungarian army located on the Petrovaradin Fortress bombarded and devastated the city, which lost much of its population (According to 1850 census there were only 7,182 citizens in the city compared with about 20,000 in 1820).

Between 1849 and 1860, the city was part of an separate Austrian crownland known as the Vojvodina of Serbia and Tami Banat. After the abolishment of this province, the city was included into newly formed Bačka-Bodrog County. After 1867, Novi Sad was located within the Hungarian part of Austria-Hungary, also known as Transleithania.

Serbian troops entered the city on November 8, 1918, and on November 25, 1918, the Assembly of Serbs, Bunjevci, and other nations of Vojvodina in Novi Sad proclaimed the union of Vojvodina region with the Kingdom of Serbia. Since December 1, 1918, Novi Sad is part of the Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes. In 1929, Novi Sad became the capital of the Dunavska banovina, a province of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia.

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 19:07
I've been to Novi Sad, it's a beutiful place.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Surbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 20:58

Vojvodina 1848
When your heart is empty,your
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
YuGo View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote YuGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 21:40

let's not get too political Surbel!

Mila, Thanks for presenting one of our many beautiful Serbian cities!

ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 01:22
Originally posted by Surbel

Vojvodina 1848

keep that out of the forum seriously
Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 02:37
excuse my ignorance, but what is the picture that Surbel posted. I've never seen it before

and Novi Sad looks like a beautiful city

Edited by Illuminati
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Surbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 04:34
Originally posted by ill_teknique

Vojvodina 1848

I posted an official coat of Novi Sad from 1848. I thought it will be interesting for other members to know better some parts of the world(or city where i spend every year a month) and to see folowing simbols on that coat,but no...segnior ill_teknique felt disturbed. Segnior,what you don't like or don't aprove keep it for your self seriously.
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 09:10
Is it the coat of arms for the city?  The place looks beautiful and the history is pretty Serbian by the sounds of things.
Surbel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Surbel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 09:58
 From the Nacional Guard,because it was a military frontier betwen two separate empires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imageerbia02.png

Coat represent the four diferent regions inside of Vojvodinarem,Banat,Baranja and Backo Bodroska zupanija.

http://sr.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A1%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BA%D0%B0: Vojvodina02.jpg

The city was maby the most beautiful one in exSFRJ. After 1991 start a not so good period of that city. But today is freshing up. On the other side of city across the Danube river stand tremendous fortress even called "Gibraltar of Danube"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrovaradin
mind is worth nothing.
anonimus
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 16:32
Originally posted by ill_teknique

Vojvodina 1848

What's wrong with that? That's like me saying keep the picture in your mission out of the forum.....'seriously'..
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
 Post Reply Post Reply