Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ethnicity of mimar sinan(ottoman architect)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ethnicity of mimar sinan(ottoman architect)?
    Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 16:12
   i want to learn the roots of mimar sinan (ottoman architect) . i heard that  he was rum(greek) origin, is it true?

Edited by nemesia
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 16:37

The name comes off as Armenian to me, but I am not sure.  He made many buildings.

Me'mar means architect in Arabic, so it is not part of his actual name.

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 16:54
I have heared he was from Albania, how accurate is this?
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 19:41
he was an armenian rum.

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 20:34

He was of the Ottoman Muslim millet.

Mira View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 02:14
Originally posted by Beylerbeyi

He was of the Ottoman Muslim millet.

I think I read that, too.  He was born Greek Orthodox with name Joseph, and then somehow, somehwere converted to Islam?
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 03:56
He was born around 1490 in Kayseri as the son of a Christian mason. In 1521 he enrolled in the Janissary Corps, an elite wing of the Ottoman army whose members were all taken from Christian families converted to Islam and trained to fight for the Sultan.

Source: http://www.mymerhaba.com/en/main/content.asp_Q_id_E_142

In Kayseri (Caesarea), most Christians were either Armenian or Greek. Beylerbeyi is right, he was part of the Muslim millet, but his roots were part of an ethnicity that practiced Christianity. In that part of the Empire that means chances are he could've been Armenian.

As you know, Ottomans had many famous Armenian architects. The Balian architect family for example, was Armenian.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 04:18

both names mimar and sinan are Arabic names.

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 04:36
Ya, the name could have been given to him after he was Islamicized (which was standard practice for Janissaries).
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote TheodoreFelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 12:36
I have heared he was from Albania, how accurate is this?

There are some few who have supported this, although I was not one of them, because he designed a popular mosque in Albania. But thats the only reason I can think of. Seems like BS to me.
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 14:26

His roots (probably Armenian) are not important. He was a typical Ottoman. 'Mimar' is not a name, it means 'architect'. 'Sinan' is a Muslim name, common one among converts/janissaries etc.  'Mimar Sinan' means 'Sinan the Architect'.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 15:01

It's as important as this thread.  The person who created the thread did so for the very purpose of finding out for his/her own personal interest.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 02:45

oh there is no such thing as muslim name, its Arabic.

oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 10:53

no one said it wasnt arabic, and there is such things as muslim names just like there are christian names, jewish names, etc

Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 19:49

Nobody could know his origin

Mimar Sinan was picked up from Kayseri (City where located  in the middle of Turkey) as a Janissary when he was child and he educated by best teachers of Ottomans.His family could be  Armenian but its not important as beylerbeyi said.

He was good Ottoman and muslim.

Moreover he was best friend of  Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent.

Edited by Tegin
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 00:11
If it isn't important, then why do some sources prefer to say that he was an Albanian or a Rum?
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 09:50

Dont look at his origin, look at his artworks. Read about it and youll amaze him twice... You simply say "whaaowww"

He whas a kind  "Haman" of the padishah kanuni sultan suleyman.

Edited by DayI
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 14:47

If it isn't important, then why do some sources prefer to say that he was an Albanian or a Rum?

Because we live in an age when nationalistic ideas are popular. Everyone wants a piece of a great man for her nation. But I already told you the reality, he was 100% Ottoman Muslim. Not Armenian, not Rum, nor Albanian nor any kind of Christian. Not even Turkish. He was of the Ottoman Muslim millet.

oh there is no such thing as muslim name, its Arabic.

Yes, I've met many Confucianists, Buddhists, Christians, Animists and Shamanists named Sinan myself. That's why he has that name, because he was a Christian Arab, right? Or maybe a Shamanist Turk.

Wake up and smell the coffee mate, he got that name when he converted to Islam, because it was a Muslim name, common one for converts, meaning 'tip of the spear'. Of course it is Arabic, but he did not convert to Arabness, he converted to Islam, Islam is why Turks are called Sinan, and you know it as well as I do.

Turkish nationalists say that Turkish Islam should be cleansed from Arab language and customs, or be abandoned altogether. We should return to our ancestors' religion of Shamanism.  You are giving them ammunition by writing this.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 15:19

you didnt prove anything, this name is Arabic and islam isn't a language its a religion for all people.

this name and other names were used before islam by Arabs and you can find many non-muslims arabs and not arabs having arabic names that doesn't mean they are Muslims using "islamic names".

iam not arguing people who converted to islam usually change their names to names muslims use, this is a part where the person coverting changing his name from the non-bliever name to a name muslims use.

and not all muslims has arabic names, and they are muslims.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2006 at 15:47

changing his name from the non-bliever name

There is no such thing as a non-believer name! It is an Armenian name.

to a name muslims use.

Bending over backwards not to write 'a muslim' name...

Well, I think everyone including you knows what I mean, anyway.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>