Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest 5 US Presidents

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest 5 US Presidents
    Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 13:32

Taken from Genghis' post, I would like to know who you feel are the top five greatest Presidents in the history of the United States.

-My personal selection is 1. Ronald Reagan, 2. Thomas Jefferson,    3.George Washington, 4. Theodore Roosevelt and 5. Abraham Lincoln (solely for his effort in bringing a war-torn United States back together)

Edited by BMC21113
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 13:36
Actually, that thread was a spinoff of this one:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4874& ;KW

BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 13:39
Again, I stand corrected!  
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 17:28

Jefferson was a great statesmen and lousy president, Reagan was nothing more than a rhetoric spouting demagogue long on words and short on tangible action, and perhaps most damning of all is that this hero of the American right was no better than former president Clinton in cutting and running, see his Lebanon fiasco.

1.  Franklin Delano Roosevelt

2.  Abraham Lincoln

3.  George Washington

4.  Dwight D. Eisenhower

5.  Theodore Roosevelt

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 17:37

Damn Laelius, your good.  I was just about to mention how Reagan is super overrated and Jefferson is a looser but youve done the job for me.  I think when people think of Jefferson they think of the ideal, not the real man.  Jefferson destroyed our economy, said he would curtail governemtn power and then crippled us with his imposed embargo, failed to effectively deal with barbary pirates, cut the navies funding in a time of need, removed the bank of america which was not a good thing, and generally was a giant hypocrite loser.  he would actually go in my bottom 10 worst presidents.

And Reagan destroyed the Republican parties principles.  The party that historically so great (and still has a massive functional and administrative superiority) was corrupted by Reagans big government deficeit spending and kowtowing to the wretched evangelicals.  The evangelicals would in turn change the republican party for a practical industrialist-privacy party to a house of religious loonies who run the US like it was the USSR.

anyway my top 5 are:

1.  Theodore Roosevelt

2.  Richard Nixon

3.  George Washington

4.  Harry Truman

5.  James K Polk  Sorry Jalisco, but evil or not, he was a genius.

If anyone says Woodrow Wilson was a great president I will tear their neck out with my teeth!

Edited by Tobodai
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 18:00

England has only called one ruler 'great' in 2000 years of history, and you want 3 great leaders in two centuries. A bit presumptuous don't you think......

P.S. Laelius, I thought Reagan's runing away faster than a Frenchman in Lebanon (while the Italians stayed) showed he had the sanest policy on a middle east crisis of any president before or since.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 21:11

Mine are.. :

1. JFK

2. George Washington

3. Abraham Lincoln

4. Harry Truman

5. Ronald Reagan

None of the modern U.S. presidents are something special. *coughs* GWB *coughs*

Edited by Jay.
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jan-2006 at 22:38

ah but Paul consider the conservative vision of Reagan the mighty the invincible, the savior of mankind!  Not that sissy long haired hippy who has graced the cross for far too long!  Referencing Reagan's lack of stomach in Lebanon is a perfect and irresistable counter argument, along with his wife who had him trained like a dog.  As to the sanest policy in the ME I'd go with Truman for simply not getting involved.

England has only called one ruler 'great' in 2000 years of history, and you want 3 great leaders in two centuries. A bit presumptuous don't you think......

Has anyone suggested giving any American president a sobriquet?

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 06:55
Originally posted by Laelius

Has anyone suggested giving any American president a sobriquet?

No, but only because either (a) they don't know what it means or (b) they think it's something French, or (c) if they don't fall under (a) and (b) they think it would be an infringement of the Constitutional ban on titles.

Mind you, you have Wilt the Stilt and Walter the Train, Stan the Man and Joe the Shoeless, so I suppose it's not inconceivable.

On thinking about it, it's actually quite an interesting question. Dick the Tricky?

Edited by gcle2003
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 07:54
Originally posted by Paul

Ok.For me the top 5:

1-Thomas Jefferson

2-FDR!

3-Kennedy

4-Grant

5-Washington

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 07:57
Originally posted by Tobodai

anyway my top 5 are:

1.  Theodore Roosevelt

2.  Richard Nixon

4.  Harry Truman

No offence but these choices are the worst choices except for number 3  I have ever seen for the list of top American presidents!

If anyone says Woodrow Wilson was a great president I will tear their neck out with my teeth!

Look.I agree with you here

Edited by TheDiplomat
ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Illuminati View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Illuminati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 14:30
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Originally posted by Paul

Ok.For me the top 5:

1-Thomas Jefferson

2-FDR!

3-Kennedy

4-Grant

5-Washington

Grant and Kennedy huh.......those two don't even deserve to be on the list of top 15 presidents.

as for my list....

1. George Washington
2. Franklin Roosevelt
3. Abraham Lincoln
4. Theodore Roosevelt
5. James Monroe

Edited by Illuminati
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 15:16
Originally posted by Laelius

ah but Paul consider the conservative vision of Reagan the mighty the invincible, the savior of mankind!  Not that sissy long haired hippy who has graced the cross for far too long!  Referencing Reagan's lack of stomach in Lebanon is a perfect and irresistable counter argument, along with his wife who had him trained like a dog.  As to the sanest policy in the ME I'd go with Truman for simply not getting involved.

And I thought the reason he pulled out was because his wife told Mr christian, Venus was in the Uranus of the Great Bear.

Truman a strange bunny. He joined a civil war in Korea, Funded several in the middle east without joining and sent McCarthy and his bloodhounds out to start one at home.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 17:18
so Tobo how does a paranoid libertarian choose Nixon for no. 2?
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 21:50

Because pure genious transcends all barriers.  Id take a million smart evil people over one idealistic and well intentioned moron.

Why do so many people like Kennedy, he was horrible!  He talked about doing something for civil rights and never did, he almost blew up the world, he told the Germans that he was a jelly donut and he really started involvement in Vietnam. 

The best "idea' that ever went through Kennedy's head was a bullet.  Hell no one would even know who he was if he hadnt been shot, and now we all have to hear how great he is because his brains got splattered on film.

-Alexander Hamilton
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 21:56
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

anyway my top 5 are:

1.  Theodore Roosevelt

2.  Richard Nixon

4.  Harry Truman

No offence but these choices are the worst choices except for number 3  I have ever seen for the list of top American presidents!

Look.I agree with you here

Many non Americans forget to look at a presidents domestic record.  A president must be judged first on what they do for  Americans, and second for other reasons, its why they are elected.  Teddy Roosevelt busted monopolies, eneded a massive coal strike, started the first environmetnal and archeological conservation system, and really cleaned up both corruption and standards of living.  Nixon was also a great forward thinking man despite his reputation, he did more for minorities than LBJ or anyone else ever did.  SO too did Truman desegregate the military and remove that fool MacArthur from command (which took balls).

-Alexander Hamilton
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2006 at 22:35
I agree with Laelius (almost in the same order):

1. Franklin Delano Roosevelt
2. Abraham Lincoln
3. Dwight D. Eisenhower
4. George Washington
5. Theodore Roosevelt
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
bradcorazon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote bradcorazon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2006 at 19:44

While we have had many great presidents, there is no doubt that a select few stand out.  My choices are:

1-Washington

2-Lincoln

3-FDR

4-Theodore Roosevelt

5-Jefferson

6-Madison

7-Reagan

8-Truman

9-Jackson

10-Eisenhower

Kapikulu View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Kapikulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 09:34

My like for FDR had somewhat decreased after I heard that he knew almost nothing about the needs of European states after WW II...He was noted saying about Austria: "A friend of mine, who is colonel, told me that if we build a dam over Danube, all problems of Austria will be dealed"...Which is a weak comment for a US president.,

And Tobodai, I didn't understand why you had put Nixon among those "great president"s..

I would personally put Washington in the first place, after all, he was like the "saviour".

Second would be Reagan, he was the victor of the Cold War, and probably took the most important steps for that victory.

Even though he is not liked all among the world, being a true and greedy president who worked solely for American benefits, he did a lot for America's move towards being a great power, Theodore Roosevelt, got the third number.

As the fourth, I would choose Eisenhower,major steps had been taken by him,such as creating bases for US in Europe and Asia and getting allies in his side and using them well...

Fifth in my list is Woodrow Wilson, a man who really worked for world peace,but failed.And of course, it was his time the American influence began to spread towards Europe. "Armed neutralism is enough at best"

We gave up your happiness
Your hope would be enough;
we couldn't find neither;
we made up sorrows for ourselves;
we couldn't be consoled;

A Strange Orhan Veli
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Feb-2006 at 15:11

when judging FDR on anything he did late in his tenure it is wise to look at his health and questionable mental state.  If you study the pictures from the last meeting of the BIG THREE, yalta i think, look at his eyes. that is not the same man that gave the day of infamy speech. 

As for wilson, he is the reason the KKK was able to parade down pennsylvania avenue some 20,000 strong.

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>