Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWho are the five greatest generals of all time?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Bauhaus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who are the five greatest generals of all time?
    Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 12:57
1.Rommel
2.Nobunaga
3.Patton
4.Barca
5.Robert E Lee

Plus, the admiral in charge of my coast guard  base is awsome, 2nd Admiral James Denton.
"Semper Paratus"- United States Coast Guard
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 16:18
Originally posted by Hannibal Barca

Augustus was never a military commander nor did he command in the field. The only victory that he was in overall command of was at Actium and there the Roman Navy was commanded by not Augustus but by Aggripa. Octavian never established himself as even a military commander. He was an excellent ruler, leader, and politician. Nothing else.

Indeed, I find it quite strange how so many posters list famous political leaders among the greatest generals of all time, even though these barely touched military matters.
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2006 at 22:03
Originally posted by Reginmund

Augustus was never a military commander nor did he command in the field. The only victory that he was in overall command of was at Actium and there the Roman Navy was commanded by not Augustus but by Aggripa. Octavian never established himself as even a military commander. He was an excellent ruler, leader, and politician. Nothing else.

Indeed, I find it quite strange how so many posters list famous political leaders among the greatest generals of all time, even though these barely touched military matters.

Perhaps some people get mixed up when it comes to Augustus and early emperors in general,  during the principate military victories were almost always credited to the princeps even if he wasnt present at the battle. I suppose also people find it hard to believe that Augustus could rise to such supreme power without 1 single significant victory to his name that he personally gained.

Augustus was a political genius, but as a military commander he was probably average.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Bauhaus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 06:59
Actually, Robert E. Lee is tied for the best with Rommel
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 08:12

Lee? Gosh!

OK, I'll leave 19th and 20th century out and provide my top-5

#5: Epameinondas. VERY underrated. He lacks only one thing: magnificent results. You see, he only led the armies of smallish Theba, not some huge nation or empire. But his military innovations shaped the way warfare is conducted for more than 20 centuries (right up to the Napoleonic era, actually) and that cannot be claimed by anyone else.

#4: Subedei. The best Mongol (even though he wasn't a Mongol...) general deserves a place in the list. He was a tactical genious and had an almost spotless record and utilized the strength of the Mongol army to the greatest extend. 

#3: Hannibal. His tactical genious is unsurpassed (and challenged only by the #1 on my llist) and while as a strategist he left much to be desired, and his end results were poor, he deserves a place in the top-5.

#2:  Belisarius. The often overlooked genious. A magnificent tactician, a good strategist, brought home excellent results. Extremely effective, loved by his men, loyal to his state and leader ...what else can you ask by a general?

...and the #1 goes to...

#1 Alexandros o Megas. The greatest general of all times, according to merit, results, starting point, achievements, tactics and strategy employed. No other military leader combines those.

If you wanna play arrogant with me, you better have some very solid facts to back up that arrogance, or I'll tear you to pieces
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 10:01

Originally posted by Alkiviades

#2:  Belisarius. The often overlooked genious. A magnificent tactician, a good strategist, brought home excellent results. Extremely effective, loved by his men, loyal to his state and leader ...what else can you ask by a general?

I agree fully with Belisarius' inclusion, but I must correct you on something, Belisarius never won the love and full loyalty of his men. It isnt really a negative on him as it probably had more to do with the fact his army was almost entirely mercenaries. More in it for the loot than anything else, a good example is the wavering loyalty of the Hunnic mercenaries in North Africa or the steady stream of desertions he suffered throughout his campaigns.

He was quite rightly loved by the people, but his army was often extremely unreliable in many aspects, which makes his achievements even more impressive as men in better situations with greater forces have failed to do things on the scale of what Belisarius did.

Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 10:25

Yes, I think you are right, my wording was rather vague there. No military leader has managed to actually gain the love of mercenaries, unless he poors mucho moneda in their pockets all the time.

Loved by the people, and his (meaning: the actual Byzantine army he led, additionaly to the mercenaries) men would be more appropriate. What do you think about the other underdog of that list, Epameinondas?

If you wanna play arrogant with me, you better have some very solid facts to back up that arrogance, or I'll tear you to pieces
Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 10:50

To be honest i've never heard of him, i've just got a page up on him so i'm going to read it. So I can't as yet offer an opinion of his ability etc, but i'm glad lesser known guys are being introduced.

Nothing wrong with including some of those more famous generals, they truly deserve praise, but it's always interesting to hear about other less famous commanders whos achievements are perhaps overlooked.

EDIT: Belisarius is one of those guys who achieved great things but will never have the fame or respect Caeser has no matter what, Caeser is in that band of generals who is both respected and totally admired for his ability on the field by pretty much everybody. Belisarius is just not well known enough to be included in most minds.

Edited by Heraclius
honeybee View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 14:33

"Sun Tzu was not a general.

There is doubt that he was even a real person, instead of a series of authors.

We have no record of him winning ANY battles."

Actually he is a general, he is the Wu general Sun Wu and defeated the Chu army in history. But there are much better Chinese generals, tryhan Xin, XiangYu, Huo Qu Bing, Wei Qing, Li Shi Min, Zhao Kuan Yin, Li Jing, Su Ding Fang..

Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 16:26

Didnt Belisarius massacre a whole stadium of people?

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 17:17
Originally posted by Loknar

Yes, on the orders of Justinian Belisarius and his colleague Mundus massacred roughly 30,000 people in the hippodrome during the Nika riots. The mob was on the verge of deposing Justinian and the massacre was the only way the Emperor could reassert his authority.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 17:25

Meh...

General MacArthur

Joshua

Admiral Perry (ok, so he's not a general)

Joan of Arc

Genghis Khan?

ughh too many

Alexander the Great

Define great please.

(Btw., notice how three out of five choices are american...)

BigL View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 17:33
How is Subedei not mongolian,he might not be from genghis tribe but they are the same peoples
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 17:45

Subedei... oh I didn't catch his name a moment, I'm pretty sure he was in Age of Kings II. 

Nah, I sort of feel he qualifies for the tuck-in folder under Genghis Khan, Ogdei and his brothers. Anything a mongol prince did, his great-great-grandfather twice removed on the mother's side could've done better (disclaimer: I have no knowledge of Mongolian royalty).

Edited by Salazar
Hannibal Barca View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 18:40
Originally posted by honeybee

Actually he is a general, he is the Wu general Sun Wu and defeated the Chu army in history. But there are much better Chinese generals, tryhan Xin, XiangYu, Huo Qu Bing, Wei Qing, Li Shi Min, Zhao Kuan Yin, Li Jing, Su Ding Fang..

Can you give me book evidence please that staes "we know for a fact that Sun Tzu......"I would appreciate that. None of the books that I have can prove he was a general in the field. Unless you give me evidence that he fought a battle and won then I won;t believe it and neither should you.

"In the absence of orders go find something and kill it!"

-Field MArshall Erwin Rommel
poirot View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Editorial Staff

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 22:23

Originally posted by honeybee

Can you give me book evidence please that staes "we know for a fact that Sun Tzu......"I would appreciate that. None of the books that I have can prove he was a general in the field. Unless you give me evidence that he fought a battle and won then I won;t believe it and neither should you.

The Chronicles of Eastern Chou gives detailed description of Sun Tzu's success in his campaign against the state of Chu.   However, Sun Tzu's military accomplishments pale to that of Alexander and Hannibal, due to logisitical limitations during the Spring and Autumn Period in China.  His biggest contribution to military history remains his book, the Art of War.

Sun Tzu's existence as a general is a fact.  But his overall military accomplishments were limited to a small scale due to the logistics of warring states in the Eastern Chou Period.  Thus, western scholars often omit Sun Tzu's real battles because they are quite insignificant in the larger scale.

Edited by poirot
AAAAAAAAAA
"The crisis of yesterday is the joke of tomorrow.�   ~ HG Wells

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 00:39
Originally posted by Loknar

Didnt Caeser wipe out hundreds of thousands if not millions of Gauls?

Nobody ever seems to hold that against him, the people in Constantinople were rioting, burning the city down, looting everything, I really don't see what else could of been done to restore order. The Blues and Greens were little better than thugs when they got going, it was about time they were taught a lesson or two on whos in charge.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 02:33
It seems you just missed the anniversary of that event. See here for more details:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=8392&a mp;PN=1
Bauhaus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 10:02
ROBERT E. LEE, AND ROMMEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2006 at 16:09

Oh hey I'm not judging Belisarius, I was wondering for sure if it was him or not. And if there wewre rioters then of course you deal with them.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>