Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Serbian(Slavic?)-proto IE(Sanskrit) conne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serbian(Slavic?)-proto IE(Sanskrit) conne
    Posted: 28-Jul-2006 at 07:10
Ancient myths.
I know no website, but I know that there are myths about Hercules travelling to India (Alexander knew these myths), and the god Dionysus who travelled to India and brought the grape tree and the art of producing wine to Greece.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Aarya View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Aarya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jul-2006 at 11:03
Hi Xerster, You are telling that there are Greek myths that are related with India ,
   I would want to know those myths and learn about them, are these myths documented on any websites please provide me with the link...
  and Is there any website that has these myths talkig about India
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 11:42

Reading all this stuff about indoeuropean language, I wonder why is Greek considered indoeuropean.

I know there are some similar words, but most (in socrates') list are different, sometimes totally different.

Socrates, I don't think that in the traditional poems you will find remanants of IE tradition. If there's a mention of India it is probably based on much more recent experiences. In Greek tradition India is totally abcent. I think there are some ancient Greek myths that are related with India, but now we are talking of myths 3,000 or 4,000 thousands years old.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Aarya View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Aarya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2006 at 09:32
           I suspect the one post made by teleindus. becoz if he was serious enough he would have returned and posted regarding his opposition but as he has not it seems he had got that info from some propaganda site...he just copy pasted....
          This is really a nice thread, and it reveals many things that werent known before regarding serbian folklore and cultural connection with the India and sanskrit....
          Socrates did u investigate the saying of the poem refering to India..it might yeild some details...
Boztorgay View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Boztorgay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 11:48
Originally posted by TeldeIndus

Well, genetically there's no Serbian connection with North India (Sanskritized area).

Haplogroup I (purple) is absent in North Indian populations.

Can you give me the address of your source, please?

Il n'y a que les imbciles et les huitres qui adhrent - Paul Valry
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 07:38
OK Socrates.Looks better.You get 5/10 this time.
Jai Badri Vishal
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 07:34
Originally posted by Socrates

Originally posted by Jhangora

Socrates your notebook is untidy.You get 2/10 .

Cheeky fellow.Deleted his post.

What r u talking about?

-I remembered!!U were here  when I posted yhe original table...yes, very messy...I couldn't handle it, so i deleted it.I've just posted it in a new form...

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 07:28

I filled some blanks:

Sanskrit

Serbian

Latvian

Meaning

abhi

oba(e)

abi

both

asmi

(je)sam

esmu

am

asti

jesti

esti

to eat

bhedati

beda(misery)

bedati

worry

bhuti

biti

buti

be, exist

cathurth

cetvrta(i,o)

ceturta

fourth

dala

deo,del

dala

part,division

dina

dan

diena

day

dhuma

dim

duma

smoke

jiv

zhiv

dziv

alive

j*vati

zhiveti

dzivuoti

live

katha

kako to

ka ta

how that

kada

kad(kada)

kad

when

kliba

klipa*

kliba

unable,lame

madhu

med

medu

honey

pretvira

pretvara**

pret vara

opponents,contra power

rasa

rosa

rasa

dew

sad

seda

sed

sits

sth

stav

stav

stand

slaviti

slaviti***

slaveti

glorify

saditi

saditi

staditi

plant

ti

jedi

edi

eat

trayas

tri(troyka)

tris

three

trasati

tresti

triceti

tremble

ud*n

voda

uden

water

udhar

vidra

uden

otter

*klipa is used in all three genders-it is used as a noun ( mostly in comical conotation)

**pretvarati is a verb-means to turn into (like turn into stone),and it also means to pretend-however its obviously somehow connected to pretvira and pret vara.

***Slaviti-derived from slava (glory)-or is it vice verse?However, it could be connected to the ethymology of Slaven,Sloven-Slav.

Edited by Socrates
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2006 at 07:26

What r u talking about?

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 07:39

Jai Badri Vishal
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2006 at 07:37
Jai Badri Vishal
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 13:56
Originally posted by Socrates

Thank u for the links, Jhangora.

''Anyhow, Baltic languages are often mentioned as one of the most "archaic" among IE languages. I also think that Balto-Slavic languages have pre-historically been more exposed to influences from Eastern IE languages such as Scythian, while at the same time less exposed to transformation by a non-IE substratum. Therefore one would expect them to be "more pure", closer to proto-IE.''

Even many elements from baltic folklore r surprisingly similar to ancient indian ones...I found that in all Slavic languages, the word bog - god,was adopted from the iranian( scythic, sarmatian) and displaced the proto IE dievas.However-the Balts kept the original form...Some of the rituals of slavs-burial customs-r similar to those of india.I would also dare to note yhe similarity between what Helmhold wrote of baltic Slavs and some vedic writings-the belief in inactive god who created the world and then begotten it to ''lesser gods'' to govern it...Or the priest caste that existed among baltic slavs, where priests were payed more respect then towards the kings-if i remember correctly-such was the case with brahmans in india ( i found it in Louis Leger, La Mythologie Slave ).

I thought strava was turkic-but my source is very old...it means horror in serbian( slavic)

To some extent you are right Socrates.The king was guided by a brahman {Rajpurohit}.He would consult him on matters,major n minor.N usually follow Rajpurohit's advise. 

Jai Badri Vishal
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 06:24

Hey Maju I just edited my earlier post.Please read the footnote.

Well, the less important thing in the end is where did IE languages came ultimately from. The true important thing is that they are clearly connected.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 06:09

Thank u for the links, Jhangora.

''Anyhow, Baltic languages are often mentioned as one of the most "archaic" among IE languages. I also think that Balto-Slavic languages have pre-historically been more exposed to influences from Eastern IE languages such as Scythian, while at the same time less exposed to transformation by a non-IE substratum. Therefore one would expect them to be "more pure", closer to proto-IE.''

Even many elements from baltic folklore r surprisingly similar to ancient indian ones...I found that in all Slavic languages, the word bog - god,was adopted from the iranian( scythic, sarmatian) and displaced the proto IE dievas.However-the Balts kept the original form...Some of the rituals of slavs-burial customs-r similar to those of india.I would also dare to note yhe similarity between what Helmhold wrote of baltic Slavs and some vedic writings-the belief in inactive god who created the world and then begotten it to ''lesser gods'' to govern it...Or the priest caste that existed among baltic slavs, where priests were payed more respect then towards the kings-if i remember correctly-such was the case with brahmans in india ( i found it in Louis Leger, La Mythologie Slave ).

I thought strava was turkic-but my source is very old...it means horror in serbian( slavic)

Edited by Socrates
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 02:59
Hey Maju I just edited my earlier post.Please read the footnote.
Jai Badri Vishal
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 02:54

LEXICAL COMPARISON OF SANSKRIT AND LATVIAN

http://www.lexiline.com/lexiline/lexi51.htm

A theory that some English words are actually Sanskrit-like

http://hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/essays/sanskritwords.htm

I agree with both Milton and you Socrates. Anglo-Saxons and Slavs originated in India.

They are all Indo-European.

abhi

abi

"both"

See Spanish "ambos"

asti

esti

"to eat"

It's obvious that English "eat" comes from the same root, after losing the "s"

avata

avuota

"spring water, source"

Latin aqua (water)

cathurth

ceturta

"fourth"

Spanish cuatro (four) or cuarto (fourth).

dina

diena

"day"

Spanish "dia", English "day"

Dyaus

Dievs

"Deus, God"

Latin "Deus", Greek "Theos" and "Zeus"

dhuma

duma

"smoke, of smoke"

Spanish "humo"

dusim

duosim

"give, will give"

Spanish "dar" (to give), "das" (you give)

ga*s

guovs

"cow"

English "cow"

griva

griva

"mouth, estuary, firth"

Spanish "ra" (firth, stuary)

grabh

grab

"grab"

English "grab"

yukt

jugta

"harness"

Spanish "yugo"

kas

kas

"what"

Spanish "qu"

kataras

katris

"each"

Spanish "cada"

kuti

kuti

"shed, coop, stable"

Spanish "cuadra"

lakt

lakt

"to lap"

English "lap"

mat*h

mate

"mother"

English "mother", Latin "mater"

madhu

medu

"honey"

Spanish "miel"

n*kt

nakt

"night"

English "night", Lat. "nocte"

nabhi

naba

"navel"

English "navel"

pl*si

blusi

"fleas"

Eglish "fleas"

prasnaya

prasnaja

"question"

Spanish "pregunta"

pluti

pludi

"flood"

English "flood"

r*tha

rata

"wheels, of wheels"

Latin "rota"

srava

strava

"stream, current"

English "stream"

tava

tava

"yours"

Spanish "tuyo"

ti

edi

"eat"

English "eat"

trayas

tris

"three"

English "three", Spanish "tres"

udhar

udr

"otter"

English "otter"

vayus

vejis

"wind"

English "wind", Spanish "viento"

vrkas

vilks

"wolf"

English "wolf"

vira

vira

"man, husband"

Latin "vir" (male, man)

vrdhi

vardi

"words"

English "words"

vayu

vaju

"weak"

English "weak"

Anyhow, Baltic languages are often mentioned as one of the most "archaic" among IE languages. I also think that Balto-Slavic languages have pre-historically been more exposed to influences from Eastern IE languages such as Scythian, while at the same time less exposed to transformation by a non-IE substratum. Therefore one would expect them to be "more pure", closer to proto-IE.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 01:08

LEXICAL COMPARISON OF SANSKRIT AND LATVIAN

http://www.lexiline.com/lexiline/lexi51.htm

A theory that some English words are actually Sanskrit-like

http://hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/essays/sanskritwords.htm

I agree with both Milton and you Socrates. Anglo-Saxons and Slavs originated in India.

PS:I hope now Maju knows my view on the AIT.

Edited by Jhangora
Jai Badri Vishal
Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 06:31
Originally posted by Esquire

>> Serbian (Slavic?)- proto IE(Sanskrit) connection <<

Serbian is a Slavic language

Slavic, Germanic, Latin, also Albanian (Illyr), Celt, Greek... ALL part of  Indo-European Language Group.
The common basis for this group is the ancient SANSKRIT language, from the Aryans of North India.
This is where the "Indo-" designation comes from.

Of course there is a connection - it's the scientific basis for the language group!

I wasn't refering to the language alone,but also some traditions...Anyway, have u read my examples-certain words r almost unchanged in Serbian when compared to Sanskrit.Anyway, some of the Slavic worldviews/traditions r very similar to those of ancient India...

That little history lesson was completely unnecessary, since i'm perfectly aware of all those things-I was just trying to show that there is a close connection between Slavs and Sanskrit (closer then in many IE languages)-and I also found some sources which propose directly that Slavs came from India ( they're not very reliable though-however, I rather like the idea).If Milton can propose that Anglo-Saxons came from India-I don't see why I couldn't do so with Slavs-it's much more likely.

Esquire View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Esquire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2006 at 03:14

>> Serbian (Slavic?)- proto IE(Sanskrit) connection <<

Serbian is a Slavic language

Slavic, Germanic, Latin, also Albanian (Illyr), Celt, Greek... ALL part of  Indo-European Language Group.
The common basis for this group is the ancient SANSKRIT language, from the Aryans of North India.
This is where the "Indo-" designation comes from.

Of course there is a connection - it's the scientific basis for the language group!

Socrates View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Socrates Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2006 at 05:48
I found this examples: Sanskrit Astya (mouth)-in Serbian Usta; Sanskrit Naga (naked)-in Serbian Nag (m.)-he who is naked, and Naga (f)-she who is naked.

Edited by Socrates
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>