Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Kashmir

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Anujkhamar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kashmir
    Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 03:09

the death toll on the pakistani side was above 4000. if its not a war then by definition it would be the most gruesome border clash in the world wouldnt it?

(adding more later)

Edited by Anujkhamar
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 19:27
I suspect that the Indian government, news media or someone else is beating the Kargil issue up for a political advantage of somesort. What else was happening in '99 in India?
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 04:50

Cant do a long post as im in school.

Perhaps its more because Pakistani's can't admit loosing another war?

As I posted above, 4000 dead is not a skirmish.

Other things that happened in 1999:

The cricket world cup

an indian airlines flight was highjacked

various people died by terrorist hands in Kashmir

The current ruling party was re-elected (the BJP)

did I mention there was a WAR in Kashmir?

a cyclone in orrisa killed 10000 people

i can carry on.

Edited by Anujkhamar
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 05:22
Oh! I remember what you must be calling Kargil now.
It was when Indian troops attacked the Kashmiri mujahadeen positions a few years ago.
That is certainly Not a War. Pakistan didn't do anything special. The first thing you need for a war is both sides to agree it is a war.
4000 paki dead? It'd be more like 40!
You fought Kashmiris, and if you had trouble fighting them, well then.....
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2006 at 06:29

I find your knowledge of the Kargil war insulting to the men who died in it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kargil_War

just to name one source, you want more please free feel to ask or just google it.

edit: the indian army found documents left behind by PAKISTANI soldiers. Yes there were Kashmiri terrorists involved but once again, im sure you could google this. here's a picture showing Pakistani weapons left behind:

Edited by Anujkhamar
TeldeIndus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2006 at 19:14

We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2006 at 04:28
oh right, forgot about this thread, i'll post more around 7pm GMT
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 06:33

i apoligise it took so long to reply, I have my A-Level exams going on so have very little time to post large amounts

Originally posted by TeldeIndus

The bit in italics isn't true exactly. The leaders of each princely state chose whether they wanted to join India or Pakistan.

I never tried saying they didn't

Three states initially had problems, Kashmir, Hyderabad and Jugandah. Kashmir was (and is) a Muslim majority state but was ruled by a Hindu ruler in 1947 as part of its colonial legacy, Hyderabad was a Hindu majority state ruled by a Muslim ruler at the time of partition, as was Jugandah. In fact the Hindu ruler of Kashmir wanted to go independent, so wanted more time and tried to sign a standstill agreement with Pakistan and India, but Hyderabad and Jugandah (now part of India), actually were given to Pakistan by their rulers. India then armed local resistance groups in Hyderabad and Jugandah to gain control of these regions, which after a year or two they did. but both Hyderabad and Jugandah were legally Pakistani states according to partition, though I think everyone would agree, due to their Hindu majority that they should have been acceded to India. The same situation I would say applies to Kashmir, due to its Muslim majority population, it should have been (perhaps still should be) handed over to Pakistan, but, certainly India does have no right to it.

Sorry, forgot about the last one, i was just trying to set the scene in that post, lets not discuss the other two and stick on kashmir, they are a topic in themselves.

You go on about muslim pakistan hindu india. India is a secular state which has a majority hindu population. Indians are and can be Jews, Hindus, muslims (2nd largest population of muslims in the world, zoarastrians, jains, sikhs christians etc.

A minor point - Kashmiris did not choose to join India, neither did the Hindu ruler choose to join India, he (Hari Singh) just accepted Indian troops into the region to fight the Pathan tribesmen, expel them and then to hold the plebiscite - It actually wasnt his to give under the instrument of partition as Kashmir was one of those strange sites that needed to be solved by plebiscite.

if tribals did not try to invade, then kashmir wouldn't have had to be acceded to india and it would have remained independent, or perhaps a plebiscite could have been held then. The differences between then and now are:
1) alot of people have either died or moved away. Alot of the original hindu population was being forced out by fear for their lives, they should be included in a plebiscite, but they've been forced to move away by militant action.
2) It would have been alot easier to hold a plebiscite before, now we have three countries in the area (china). There is no chance ever that China will give away aksai chin without a military conflict, there's no point even going down that road, so if a certain population of Kashmiri's can't vote, why hold a plebiscite?

either way, if there is a plebiscite Kashmiri's would vote for independance, even if it is economic suicide. Don't get me wrong, I am all for a free and independant Kashmir, but it would be impossible to implement without a number of things happening including declaring war on China.

That's part of the story, but it isnt quite accurate. 

Hari Singh, and Mountbatten agreed to the accession of Kashmir to India on the grounds that it was temporary and that the Kashmiris would have the chance to vote who they wanted to join once the Pathan tribesmen had withdrawn (which they did do, when they were replaced by Pakistani troops that can be withdrawn the moment India accepts the UN resolutions). Here are the letters between Hari Singh and Mountbatten.

Read above, as i said if pathan's hadn't tried to invade pakistan we wouldn't be in this mess.

No, this isn't true. Pakistan knew Hari Singh would accede to India, since he was a Hindu, but the majority of his subjects were Muslim. Refer to the letters above, the agreement was for Kashmir to only accede to India temporarily, until plebiscite could be held when the Pathan tribesmen had left.

So that is the proof you are showing me, Hari Singh was Hindu so he would acceed to India? He had never once stated that he would want to join India before the pathan incident and as he never spoke of it it is therefore classified as a RUMOUR which is what i wrote in the originally post.

Bangladesh is an interesting case. If you like you could compare external interference in the internal affairs of the country in the case of Kashmir with Bangladesh. Bangladesh (known as East Pakistan in 1971) was formed when the Indian Army sided with the Bengali resistance, armed trained and supported it, eventually invading East Pakistan. This was done by India, in the name of the right of self determination of the Bangladeshi people, yet, it (India) does not exercise the same right of self determination of the Kashmiris. So why the double standard?

Is it external if India is bang in between both countries and the majority of refugees come into our country? If you are going to relate Kashmir to Bangladesh then i might as well say that we spend more on Kashmir for Kashmiris (refer to the table i posted before) as a percentage of GDP and of the population than West Pakistan did for East Pakistan:

Year Spending on West Pakistan (in crore Rupees) Spending on East Pakistan (in crore Rupees) Percentage Spent on East
1950/51-54/55 1,129 524 46.4
1955/56-59/60 1,655 524 31.7
1960/61-64/65 3,355 1,404 41.8
1965/66-69/70 5,195 2,141 41.2
Total 11,334 4,593 40.5
Source: Reports of the Advisory Panels for the Fourth Five Year Plan 1970-75, Vol. I, published by the planning commission of Pakistan

Also, on the topic of Banladesh you accuse us of acting undemocratic then how can you explain what happened to the Awami League party? They'd secured a majority of East Pakistan's seats, which would give them a majority in the Pakistani Parliament, but premiership was refused to the leader of the Awami Party, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. The rest is history. Jammu and Kashmir has been given autonomy, the only thing witheld from them so far is a plebiscite, which is more than East Pakistan was given in 1970.

The "terrorists" have been admitted by the Indian government to be "sons of the soil". Hizb or Hizb ul Mujahideen is the largest militant group in Kashmir.

Lastly, New Delhi should reflect on the opportunity it missed in July-August 2000, during the parleys with the Hizb, which it had extolled for a few weeks as the true sons of the soil.

I don't care if there is a joint statement by all 6billion people of this planet, to me these terrorists are and always will be <insult removed as this is a public forum>.

Also, Pakistan would probably not agree with the Indian viewpoint you expressed that the fear is instilled by the rebels, rather they would say that human rights atrocities, documented by Amnesty and other neutral rights organizations, including torture, rapes, disappearances are being carried out systematically by the Indian troops.

Have you ever been to Jammu and Kashmir? One advantage of living in London is i get to have friends of a variety of backgrounds, inlcuding Kashmiri. If i asked them the question "Who do you fear more, India or Kashmiri terrorists?" they always go for Kashmiri terrorists. You talk as if this doesn't happen in Pakistan either? But never mind, if you think that there is a mandate ordering Indian troops to randomly select and kidnap and rape Kashmiri's then i have no response, it is down to your own beleif then.

oh yeh, realised i might have not been clear before, I have been to Jammu.

Once the Indian troops have gone, there wont be any attacks. Tell me, why would the Kashmiri resistance want to kill their own people?

and yet....the bombs went of in populated streets. I have no further comment on this matter as attacks would not decrease if the military left, it would turn back to attacks on political buildings etc.

Kashmiris have not had the chance to join Pakistan. They need the option to vote, and that can only come through a plebiscite, which India has consistently blocked ever since Nehru died, who as you pointed out was a Kashmiri.

A few years before Nehru died a large chunk of Kashmir was lost to the Chinese. That has made it almost impossible, not Nehru's death alone.

It's also very unlikely that a minority of people are doing the fighting. The only way for guerilla groups to survive is with the support of the people in which they operate.

please please post sources, i want to see these 

They have created a regional government in Pakistani Kashmir. It has it's own flag

Your point is.......? Sindh also has a flag, you want to post that? States in india tend not to have flags so theres no reason for Kashmir to be treated separatly. While we're on this topic take a look at this(the seal of Jammu and Kashmir):

There are no bombs exploding on the Pakistani side. They're only on the Indian one, so if you remove the troops, there wont be a target. Then put in UN troops, and carry out a plebiscite. This was the initial proposition, and still remains the best and fairest.

As stated above

Pakistan is willing to concede Kashmir to the outcome of the plebiscite. This is on record.

So what you are saying is that IF a plebiscite is held, and Kashmiri's vote to join India (not saying it would happen, lets imagine it does) both Pakistan and China would hand over all of their lands in Kashmir peacefully, without the need for war?

I dont know about Ladakh, but the Chinese part of Kashmir that was handed over in 1963 is only a temporary measure - there were reasons for this.

Lets get this part straight. You claim the Chinese will ever give back the parts you sold? It will never happen, if Pakistan was really trying to act as a liberator it would not have given away part of Kashmir to a foreign power. I mean come on! look at China's track record (thinks about Tibet)

The expenditure of the Indian government on Kashmir is because it is fighting the resistance groups.

As i said, refer to the table i posted last week.

btw, absolutly loving the cricket match, wish i had tickets

Edited by Anujkhamar
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 08:56
Originally posted by Anujkhamar

i apoligise it took so long to reply, I have my A-Level exams going on so have very little time to post large amounts

The bit in italics isn't true exactly. The leaders of each princely state chose whether they wanted to join India or Pakistan.

I never tried saying they didn't  

Three states initially had problems, Kashmir, Hyderabad and Jugandah. Kashmir was (and is) a Muslim majority state but was ruled by a Hindu ruler in 1947 as part of its colonial legacy, Hyderabad was a Hindu majority state ruled by a Muslim ruler at the time of partition, as was Jugandah. In fact the Hindu ruler of Kashmir wanted to go independent, so wanted more time and tried to sign a standstill agreement with Pakistan and India, but Hyderabad and Jugandah (now part of India), actually were given to Pakistan by their rulers. India then armed local resistance groups in Hyderabad and Jugandah to gain control of these regions, which after a year or two they did. but both Hyderabad and Jugandah were legally Pakistani states according to partition, though I think everyone would agree, due to their Hindu majority that they should have been acceded to India. The same situation I would say applies to Kashmir, due to its Muslim majority population, it should have been (perhaps still should be) handed over to Pakistan, but, certainly India does have no right to it.

Sorry, forgot about the last one, i was just trying to set the scene in that post, lets not discuss the other two and stick on kashmir, they are a topic in themselves.

You go on about muslim pakistan hindu india. India is a secular state which has a majority hindu population. Indians are and can be Jews, Hindus, muslims (2nd largest population of muslims in the world, zoarastrians, jains, sikhs christians etc.

A misconception you have here. Pakistan is a secular state. The Pakistani constitution guarantees Jews, Buddhists, Hindus and Christians the same rights as Muslims, and for them to be equal to a Muslim. This was what Jinnah envisaged in Pakistan's formation and that is what the constitution says. Pakistan also has sizeable ethnic populations.

A minor point - Kashmiris did not choose to join India, neither did the Hindu ruler choose to join India, he (Hari Singh) just accepted Indian troops into the region to fight the Pathan tribesmen, expel them and then to hold the plebiscite - It actually wasnt his to give under the instrument of partition as Kashmir was one of those strange sites that needed to be solved by plebiscite.

if tribals did not try to invade, then kashmir wouldn't have had to be acceded to india and it would have remained independent, or perhaps a plebiscite could have been held then. The differences between then and now are:

You've totally ignored the conditions that were set out under the instrument of partition. Read the letter from Hari Singh to Mountbatten on page 1 of this thread. The tribals had already invaded Kashmir (in the same way Hyderabad was invaded by the Indians), and it was for this purpose the Indian Army were invited in on condition that once the tribals had gone, that a plebiscite was held. The tribals left very early on, as the Pakistani Army took over their positions and the matter went to the UN in order to set about achieving a plebiscite as agreed to under the instrument of partition. However, it was India that blocked the UN process when everything looked as though the Kashmir dispute was going to be resolved in the early 60's since it did not agree to withdrawing its troops to a low level, when Pakistan DID agree to withdrawing its troops to a low level.

There was a very good opportunity with UN resolution 98 to de-militarize the region calling for the reduction of Pakistani troop levels to 3k-6k, and Indian troop levels to 12k-18k. Pakistan agreed to this, but India insisted it needed 21k troops to maintain the security. It sounds incredibily fussy to claim a mere 3000 troops would make such a difference to the security of the region. Again the important point of the matter is that this was a trilateral agreement to demilitarize the region according to UNSC resolution 47 of 21 April 1948 calling for the withdrawal from the State of Jammu and Kashmir of tribesmen and Pakistani national not normally resident therein and the reduction of Indian forces in the state to minimum strength required in order to lay the grounds for the plebiscite". 3000 troops is an exceptionally fussy margin by which to renege on an agreement.

UN resolution 98 of 23RD December 1952
Urges the Governments of India and Pakistan to enter into immediate negotiations under the auspices of the United Nations Representative for India and Pakistan in order to reach agreement on the specific number of forces to remain on each side of the cease-fire line at the end of the period of demilitarization, this number to be between 3,000 and 6,000 armed forces remaining on the Pakistan side of the cease-fire line and between 12,000 and 18,000 armed forces remaining on the India side of the cease-fire line, as suggested by the United Nations Representative in his proposals of 16 July 1952, such specific numbers to be arrived at bearing in mind the principles or criteria contained in paragraph 7 of the United Nations Representative's proposal of 4 September 1952

UN resolution 80, 14th March 1950
Commending the Governments of India and Pakistan for their statesman like action in reaching the agreements embodied in the United Nations Commission's resolutions of August 13, 1948 and January 5, 1949 for a cease-fire, for the demilitarization of the State of Jammu and Kashmir and for the determination of its final disposition in accordance with the will of the people through the democratic method of a free and impartial plebiscite

Sir Owen Dixon, Head of the UN Commission for India and Pakistan (UNCIP), in his report to the Security Council on 15 September 1950. He stated that, in the end I became convinced that Indias agreement would never be obtained to demilitarization in any form or to provisions governing the period of plebiscite of such character, as would in my opinion, permit the plebiscite being conducted in conditions sufficiently guarding against intimidation and other forms of influence and abuse by which freedom and fairness of the plebiscite might be imperiled."

The way forward is another demilitarization procedure, but one that is implemented and squabbled over petty numbers. The Kashmiri people should decide their fate.

The UN resolutions on Kashmir are written here

http://www.gharib.demon.co.uk/unres/res12.htm

1) alot of people have either died or moved away. Alot of the original hindu population was being forced out by fear for their lives, they should be included in a plebiscite, but they've been forced to move away by militant action.

The demographics of Kashmir have bascially not changed since partition. There always has been a Muslim majority within the region and most of the Hindu population is concentrated in the tiny bit at the South of Kashmir called Jammu. The Muslim population has also been terrorized by the Indian troops in Kashmir and this is well documented in any account of the region by neutral human rights groups.

Here are just a very small sample of what has been reported by many neutral human rights organizations on this very subject.

Amnesty International: The forces use torture as a matter of daily routine. ...Amnesty believes that thousands of prisoners have died as a result over the past decade. Rape is frequently used. The Indian government could stop torture if it tried

Asia Watch: In efforts to crush the militant movement, Indian government forces have violated the laws of war protecting civilians, engaged in summary execution of suspected militants and reprisal killings of civilians. Some 200 extra-judicial killings by government forces since the beginning of 1990. Torture is widespread

International Federation of Human Rights Groups (France) Indian security forces operate with complete impunity. Rule of law has broken down completely. Draconian legislation only serves to encourage brutality and violence by security forces much of whose conduct is in flagrant violation of fundamental human rights and international law - and India's own constitution

What the media say:

Times 12 August 1993: "Indian torturers fail to break Kashmir's will".

Times 16 August 1994 (editorial): "Kashmir may be territory disputed by India and Pakistan - and the UN regards it as such - but its people are entitled to be consulted in the simple matter of their own future"

Observer 13 Nov 1994: "While there is no doubt the army is involved in some of the grisly extra-judicial executions, New Delhi has also created special commando units licensed to kill" Source: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/wkfm/hr_abi.htm

2) It would have been alot easier to hold a plebiscite before, now we have three countries in the area (china). There is no chance ever that China will give away aksai chin without a military conflict, there's no point even going down that road, so if a certain population of Kashmiri's can't vote, why hold a plebiscite?

China has not been asked, but Aksaichin has a very low population. If China were to keep it, it would be of no consequence, though any deal on Kashmir, should involve China and Aksaichin.

either way, if there is a plebiscite Kashmiri's would vote for independance, even if it is economic suicide. Don't get me wrong, I am all for a free and independant Kashmir, but it would be impossible to implement without a number of things happening including declaring war on China.

It might well be economic suicide for Kashmiris to vote for independence, but that would be the democratic way, to allow them to have this choice. India has denied this them.

It's very easy to implement. China is irrelevant to a degree. Chinese administered Kashmir has very few people and isnt the main issue to most Kahsmiris (though it is their land).

That's part of the story, but it isnt quite accurate. 

Hari Singh, and Mountbatten agreed to the accession of Kashmir to India on the grounds that it was temporary and that the Kashmiris would have the chance to vote who they wanted to join once the Pathan tribesmen had withdrawn (which they did do, when they were replaced by Pakistani troops that can be withdrawn the moment India accepts the UN resolutions). Here are the letters between Hari Singh and Mountbatten.

Read above, as i said if pathan's hadn't tried to invade pakistan we wouldn't be in this mess.

Again, this was due to a Muslim majority state being ruled by a Hindu, when in all likeliness he would have voted to join with India. That is why Hyderabad was attacked by India, and is why Kashmir was invaded by the tribesmen initially. If the tribesmen had not have invaded, all of Kashmir by now would have been Indian (except the Chinese part).

No, this isn't true. Pakistan knew Hari Singh would accede to India, since he was a Hindu, but the majority of his subjects were Muslim. Refer to the letters above, the agreement was for Kashmir to only accede to India temporarily, until plebiscite could be held when the Pathan tribesmen had left.

So that is the proof you are showing me, Hari Singh was Hindu so he would acceed to India? He had never once stated that he would want to join India before the pathan incident and as he never spoke of it it is therefore classified as a RUMOUR which is what i wrote in the originally post.

You can look at it like this. If they did not invade, then when Hari Singh made his decision, all of Kashmir would have been flooded with Indian troops, and there would not be an Azad Kashmir today. Hari Singh might well have wanted to go independent, and hence the signing of the Standstill agreement (which Pakistan agreed to), but in the end he'd most likely have chosen India, OR India would have taken the state by force, as it did Hyderabad.

Bangladesh is an interesting case. If you like you could compare external interference in the internal affairs of the country in the case of Kashmir with Bangladesh. Bangladesh (known as East Pakistan in 1971) was formed when the Indian Army sided with the Bengali resistance, armed trained and supported it, eventually invading East Pakistan. This was done by India, in the name of the right of self determination of the Bangladeshi people, yet, it (India) does not exercise the same right of self determination of the Kashmiris. So why the double standard?

Is it external if India is bang in between both countries and the majority of refugees come into our country? If you are going to relate Kashmir to Bangladesh then i might as well say that we spend more on Kashmir for Kashmiris (refer to the table i posted before) as a percentage of GDP and of the population than West Pakistan did for East Pakistan:

Year Spending on West Pakistan (in crore Rupees) Spending on East Pakistan (in crore Rupees) Percentage Spent on East
1950/51-54/55 1,129 524 46.4
1955/56-59/60 1,655 524 31.7
1960/61-64/65 3,355 1,404 41.8
1965/66-69/70 5,195 2,141 41.2
Total 11,334 4,593 40.5
Source: Reports of the Advisory Panels for the Fourth Five Year Plan 1970-75, Vol. I, published by the planning commission of Pakistan

East Pakistan is another topic, but what you bring up is misleading and ignoring the facts. I'll mention just a few of them here. First off for spending. After partition, most of the major Muslim banks moved from India to West Pakistan, Punjab and Sindh, especially Karachi. They set up their bases there, and that is why when private investment was made into East Pakistan for example in the jute mills, the money that was obtained from export was used to pay of workers and returned to the West Pakistani families that set up the investments. A good example of this is the West Pakistani Adamjee family, who invested in the biggest jute mill in the world in East Pakistan. What would be the point of him investing in East Pakistan if all the money obtained from the exports of his mill went to East Pakistan. A lot of East Pakistani investment was private investment, because public funds were minimal. That was in part why the export dollars did not tally with the money spent on East Pakistan. These were all governmental policies implemented by the Bengali presidents of Pakistan including Iskhender Mirza. Also, when looking at the investment in East Pakistan you have to take into account that East Pakistan was 6 times smaller than West Pakistan, and a final but very important point is that the NWFP was and still is one of the most underfunded region in Pakistan, even less than East Pakistan was. The strategy adopted by West Pakistan was of a "trickle down" strategy which was a necessary approach in the wake of colonialism, somethin which even India had to do, and still does, just look at for example Orissa.

Also, on the topic of Banladesh you accuse us of acting undemocratic then how can you explain what happened to the Awami League party? They'd secured a majority of East Pakistan's seats, which would give them a majority in the Pakistani Parliament, but premiership was refused to the leader of the Awami Party, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. The rest is history. Jammu and Kashmir has been given autonomy, the only thing witheld from them so far is a plebiscite, which is more than East Pakistan was given in 1970.

It's good you bring this up. The Awami League wanted complete autonomy from West Pakistan. There were two exceptions, the first was in defence, and the second in foreign policy. This was badly thought out on the part of the Awami League, and for their own reasons (and to be seen as being democratic perhaps), Yahya Khan, allowed the Awami League to compete. It's been mentioned time and time again, that the Awami League could have taken power, so long as they did NOT contradict the Legal Framework Order, which was the temporary constitution set out for the victor of the elections. The Awami League did contradict this, since they wanted an autonomous East Pakistan and a decentralized government that would have weakened the Federation. You can see that a state that has its own economy, cannot have the same foreign policy, since the two will eventually contradict each other. This was the reason why Yahya Khan and Bhutto visited Mujib on the eve of war, to convince him that he must not weaken the Federation by insisting on that sort of autonomy. There wasnt a problem with a Bengali leader of Pakistan at the time, since two of the previous 4 prime ministers of Pakistan were Bengalis (one was Iskender Mirza, the other one I cant remember). East Pakistan was a completely different ball game to Kashmir, which has been taken by force by India.

The "terrorists" have been admitted by the Indian government to be "sons of the soil". Hizb or Hizb ul Mujahideen is the largest militant group in Kashmir.

Lastly, New Delhi should reflect on the opportunity it missed in July-August 2000, during the parleys with the Hizb, which it had extolled for a few weeks as the true sons of the soil.

I don't care if there is a joint statement by all 6billion people of this planet, to me these terrorists are and always will be <insult removed as this is a public forum>.

Your own government said it!! The Hizb, the largest militant group in Kashmir, are not foreign fighters, but Kashmiris according to the Indian government.

Also, Pakistan would probably not agree with the Indian viewpoint you expressed that the fear is instilled by the rebels, rather they would say that human rights atrocities, documented by Amnesty and other neutral rights organizations, including torture, rapes, disappearances are being carried out systematically by the Indian troops.

Have you ever been to Jammu and Kashmir? One advantage of living in London is i get to have friends of a variety of backgrounds, inlcuding Kashmiri. If i asked them the question "Who do you fear more, India or Kashmiri terrorists?" they always go for Kashmiri terrorists. You talk as if this doesn't happen in Pakistan either? But never mind, if you think that there is a mandate ordering Indian troops to randomly select and kidnap and rape Kashmiri's then i have no response, it is down to your own beleif then.

That's your experience then, but Kashmiris want independence, not to be with India. It's wonder why these alleged Kashmiris you meet in London have anything to fear from anyone when they dont live in Kashmir.

But, a bit of research will show you that Kashmiris are not very common in London, but are distributed in Northern areas of England.

oh yeh, realised i might have not been clear before, I have been to Jammu.

Once the Indian troops have gone, there wont be any attacks. Tell me, why would the Kashmiri resistance want to kill their own people?

and yet....the bombs went of in populated streets. I have no further comment on this matter as attacks would not decrease if the military left, it would turn back to attacks on political buildings etc.

There are no bombs exploding on the Pakistani side of Kashmir (Azad Kashmir), or the Chinese part of Kashmir. You have to also distinguish between insurgent groups. They are not a homogenous group of people. Some of them have been denounced by the Kashmiri people, but the Hizb have not. The Hizb is the largest outfit, that was legitimized even by the Indian government.

Kashmiris have not had the chance to join Pakistan. They need the option to vote, and that can only come through a plebiscite, which India has consistently blocked ever since Nehru died, who as you pointed out was a Kashmiri.

A few years before Nehru died a large chunk of Kashmir was lost to the Chinese. That has made it almost impossible, not Nehru's death alone.

The Chinese arent so important in this, their land doesnt contain many people, most of whom are Tibetans anyway. They have agreed to give a part of the land back that they obtained in 1963, to the legitimate Kashmiri government, as they see fit.

It's also very unlikely that a minority of people are doing the fighting. The only way for guerilla groups to survive is with the support of the people in which they operate.

please please post sources, i want to see these 

It's basic logic. If the people do not support a rebel group it cannot survive. That is what anyone will tell you.

They have created a regional government in Pakistani Kashmir. It has it's own flag

Your point is.......? Sindh also has a flag, you want to post that? States in india tend not to have flags so theres no reason for Kashmir to be treated separatly. While we're on this topic take a look at this(the seal of Jammu and Kashmir):

By showing the Azad (free) Kashmiri flag, the purpose was to show that the Pakistani side of Kashmir has its own government with even more autonomy than Indian occupied Kashmir. Pakistani Kashmir has its own president, Major General (retd) Sardar Khan. Indian occupied Kashmir does not have a president, since it is just another state of India. The autonomy of Pakistan Kashmir is by obvious logic much greater than that of Indian occupied Kashmir.

Here is the website of the President of Azad Kashmir (Pakistani Kashmir)

http://www.ajk.gov.pk/main/president/index.html 

Can you find the website of the President of Indian occupied Kashmir?

There are no bombs exploding on the Pakistani side. They're only on the Indian one, so if you remove the troops, there wont be a target. Then put in UN troops, and carry out a plebiscite. This was the initial proposition, and still remains the best and fairest.

As stated above

Pakistan is willing to concede Kashmir to the outcome of the plebiscite. This is on record.

So what you are saying is that IF a plebiscite is held, and Kashmiri's vote to join India (not saying it would happen, lets imagine it does) both Pakistan and China would hand over all of their lands in Kashmir peacefully, without the need for war?

Pakistan would I believe.

I dont know about Ladakh, but the Chinese part of Kashmir that was handed over in 1963 is only a temporary measure - there were reasons for this.

Lets get this part straight. You claim the Chinese will ever give back the parts you sold? It will never happen, if Pakistan was really trying to act as a liberator it would not have given away part of Kashmir to a foreign power. I mean come on! look at China's track record (thinks about Tibet)

First it wasnt sold. Second, it was stated clearly as a temporary measure, for reasons that were necessary at the time. The Chinese say they will give it to whatever a legitimate Kashmiri government, elected by the people, want it given to. China already had a huge chunk of Kashmir anyway (ladakh).

The expenditure of the Indian government on Kashmir is because it is fighting the resistance groups.

As i said, refer to the table i posted last week.

The destruction in Kashmir, the need for repair, the cost of running the military operation all takes money. The people all live in downtrodden conditions.

btw, absolutly loving the cricket match, wish i had tickets

It was 673/7 declared last time I checked  

Edited by TeldeIndus
We are not without accomplishment. We have managed to distribute poverty - Nguyen Co Thatch, Vietnamese foreign minister
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Anujkhamar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 17:51

You picked a very bad time for me to start this topic as my current commitments elsewhere are more important, i'll try to write in the morning.

But until then, could you post 5 things you do like about India? so far all i've heard from you on this forum is a constant India vs. Pakistan. Maybe if you realise that we're not all the devils we're portrayed as we might be able to meet some middle ground.

I mean, even I understand the negative parts of my country (eg I dont agree with you 100% on what you wrote about Hyderabad, but we are partially at fault atleast in that), but we're not that bad, as i wrote in the Kargil topic, we're practically the same as the people who live in your neighbourhood, we just pay taxes to someone else.

Just an idea....it might help us shift through the indian or pakistani biased views scattered on the net. Seriously, it's hard to find one article which isn't leaning towards one side

Just wait and watch, this match is drawn if the Indian batsmen can make it to 500 runs. What i do want is a world record out of this match (most runs scored collectivly by two teams in one 5 day test match)

Edited by Anujkhamar
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 18:21
Originally posted by TeleIndus

By showing the Azad (free) Kashmiri flag, the purpose was to show that the Pakistani side of Kashmir has its own government with even more autonomy than Indian occupied Kashmir. Pakistani Kashmir has its own president, Major General (retd) Sardar Khan. Indian occupied Kashmir does not have a president, since it is just another state of India. The autonomy of Pakistan Kashmir is by obvious logic much greater than that of Indian occupied Kashmir.

thats no logic approach. hawaii is a federal state of the US, Tibet is an autonomos part of China. USA is a free democratic country, China is an autocratic country, Tibet occupied territory udner a pro-Chiense puppet. there's no way Tibet is better of than Hawaii just because Tibet is "autonomos". same goes for India & Pakistan, Pakistan is autocratic and india is democratic.

Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2006 at 18:39
Originally posted by Temujin

Originally posted by TeleIndus

thats no logic approach. hawaii is a federal state of the US, Tibet is an autonomos part of China. USA is a free democratic country, China is an autocratic country, Tibet occupied territory udner a pro-Chiense puppet. there's no way Tibet is better of than Hawaii just because Tibet is "autonomos". same goes for India & Pakistan, Pakistan is autocratic and india is democratic.

You dont seem to know much about Kashmir, so let me explain this. I will try and make it as simple to understand as possible. Kashmir has two halves to it (keeping it simple), one half is called Azad Kashmir (Pakistani Kashmir), the other half is called Indian Kashmir. Indian Kashmir has been incorporated into the Indian Union as just another state. As such, the people of Kashmir are ruled by a central Delhi based government, that does not represent the electoral will of the Kashmiri people (it represents the electoral will of the Indian people as a whole, but since Kashmir is such a small country it has no political power). Pakistani Kashmir has its own president that has been elected by a legislative assembly in Kashmir, by the Kashmiri people. This allows the people of Pakistani Kashmir the power the choose the government that will provide them with the best policies for them and only them. The people on Indian occupied Kashmir have no such luxury - they can only elect a governor who has to ask his masters in Delhi before changing a policy, something that will only be allowed so long as it does helps the Indian people as a whole or the Delhi government . I hope you can follow this. I'll now post a list of the legislature of Azad Kashmir for proof of what I have just said.

http://www.ajk.gov.pk/site/index.php?option=com_content& task=view&id=2618&Itemid=142  

There is no president of Indian Kashmir. The Indian Kashmiri people do not have a voice in the Indian parliament because they form a very small minority of the Indian population. So who has the better democracy in Kashmir, the Azad Kashmiris, or the Indian Kashmiris?

(PS Your analysis of Pakistan is also wrong. Pakistan will be going back to full democracy, and Pakistan already is a democracy for freedom of press and the legislature.)

Edited by TeldeIndus
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 01:35

(PS Your analysis of Pakistan is also wrong. Pakistan will be going back to full democracy, and Pakistan already is a democracy for freedom of press and the legislature.)

I hope not. Democracy is terrible in pakistan. Musharaf is much better than Benizir and Sharif put together. Free we are but, you can do anything in pakistan. Problem is, so can anyone else.
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 01:59

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

I hope not. Democracy is terrible in pakistan. Musharaf is much better than Benizir and Sharif put together. Free we are but, you can do anything in pakistan. Problem is, so can anyone else.

Whilst I do agree with you (the longer Mush remains in power the better), when he does go there's the risk of someone worse coming to power. But if Mush stayed for many more years it would be a good situation. You are also correct in your analysis of Benazir Bhutto and Nawaz Sharif, both were corrupt and civilian democracies have had a negative impact on Pakistan so far in its history. In part, because Pakistan is a lower GDP country than India, corruption has more of an impact on Pakistan advancement than India, whose politicians are at least if not more corrupt than any of Bhutto's or Sharif's cabinet. Pakistan cannot afford to squander billions like India does.

Edited by TeldeIndus
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 02:01
Perhaps Kashmir should just form its own country. Same with the state of assam
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 02:03

Edited by TeldeIndus
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 02:03
I agree. But the Indians won't let them.
Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2006 at 02:17

Originally posted by strategos

That would be fine too. But India needs to agree to de-militarize the area. Pakistan will do this. It was all agreed upon in the UN by Pakistan in the fifties, but India did not agree when it was allowed to keep three times as many troops in Kashmir!!

Also, Assam is a state in the NorthEast of India, near Bangladesh. Azad Kashmir (free Kashmir) is the Pakistani half of Kashmir, which already is an autonomous region. By autonomous, Azad Kashmir, has its own president, who does not take orders from the president of Pakistan. The Azad Kashmiri president is the highest  legislative authority in Azad Kashmir. The governor of Indian occupied Kashmir (Indian half of Kashmir) is the highest legislative authority there), and he can only do things with the approval of the president of India who is Delhi based. To summarize, there is more democracy and more autonomy in the Pakistani half of Kashmir then the Indian half of Kashmir, despite Pakistan not being a total democracy right now.

Earl
Earl

Quote TeldeIndus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2006 at 10:38

Jhangora View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jhangora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2006 at 10:51

Originally posted by strategos

That would be fine too. But India needs to agree to de-militarize the area. Pakistan will do this. It was all agreed upon in the UN by Pakistan in the fifties, but India did not agree when it was allowed to keep three times as many troops in Kashmir!!

Also, Assam is a state in the NorthEast of India, near Bangladesh. Azad Kashmir (free Kashmir) is the Pakistani half of Kashmir, which already is an autonomous region. By autonomous, Azad Kashmir, has its own president, who does not take orders from the president of Pakistan. The Azad Kashmiri president is the highest  legislative authority in Azad Kashmir. The governor of Indian occupied Kashmir (Indian half of Kashmir) is the highest legislative authority there), and he can only do things with the approval of the president of India who is Delhi based. To summarize, there is more democracy and more autonomy in the Pakistani half of Kashmir then the Indian half of Kashmir, despite Pakistan not being a total democracy right now.

If I remember correctly Pakistan gifted a portion of the so-called Azad Kashmir to big-brother China.What are your views on that land TeldeIndus.

So I guess the Pakistani model of a Partial democracy ruled by a  General is much better than plain run of the mill democracy.

Jai Badri Vishal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>