Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chinngis Khan palace?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chinngis Khan palace?
    Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 16:53

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6189531/

intriguing....I kind of hope no one ever finds hi grave though..it snot meant to be found after all.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 19:46
You beat me to it!  I saw the article today at work and was going to post it....I think its a tremendously important find even if its not his palace. 
Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 21:07
yeah..a non tent building in Mongolia is fronty page news!
-Alexander Hamilton
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 20:56
I'm kind of sad they found it...
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 23:14
as  long as his grave isnt found its ok with me.  But if they disturb his bones I will go there myself and dispense furious justice.
-Alexander Hamilton
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 22:12

The tomb itself hasn't been found. What has been found is the foundation of a structure used to make sacrifical offerings to Genghis.

The place where the team has been digging (the Avraga site) has long been regarded as the place where Ogedai built the first shrine to Genghis by converting one of Genghis' old palaces into a mausoleum complex. The structure the team has dug up is part of that old complex (it dates to the late 13th century, with later modifications from the 15th century). The reason they are excited by this find is because they have found other structures like this in Mongolia, and they are usually located close (within 12km) to the tomb itself. 

So in reality all this means is that archaeologists now have a pretty good idea of the general area where Genghis' tomb is. But they might find nothing. We'll just have to see how this develops. 

Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Oct-2004 at 05:10
Looks like they found the Aurag ger. That was sort of the "capital city" of mongols until CK became khaghan and later Ogedei built Karakorum. Mongolian press are quiet about this, I'm wondering why
Snafu View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Snafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 10:16
That's interesting Chono. I didn't realize the Mongols had another capital before Kharakorum. Do you have any information on it?
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 14:09
Well, there was no information beside it's name and location. The place they dug up the "palace" is still called Avraga though. I guess we will get better information now... or another wrold war or something of that sort.
Slickmeister View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Slickmeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 20:17
I think that the palace of the Great Khan should be left alone. Let the Khan rest be at peace

Edited by Slickmeister
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 14:41

I don't want to seem like the dumb one in the group, but how did a palace become lost under such a geographical area as the steppe? Even its ruins??? Does the steppe have sandstorms or something in the likes of that or does the surface rise in height do to some gathering of the dirt????

But it certainly is cool to have the possibility to find and rebuild the khakhans palace in our minds after the scientists find out what it really could have looked like. The tomb should certainly be left alone, or let the Mongols themselves find it.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
mongke View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote mongke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2004 at 14:56
Originally posted by Kalevipoeg

I don't want to seem like the
dumb one in the group, but how did a palace
become lost under such a geographical area as the
steppe? Even its ruins??? Does the steppe have
sandstorms or something in the likes of that or does
the surface rise in height do to some gathering of the
dirt????

But it certainly is cool to have the possibility to find
and rebuildthe khakhans palace in our minds after
the scientists find out what it really could have looked
like. The tomb should certainly be left alone, or let
the Mongols themselves find it.

In the same way that say structures get lost in the
desert. The desert swallows up the structure, but in
this case the grasslands of the steppe overrun the
structure plus some sand blown into it.

Edit.
Unfortunately curiosity has a tendecy of getting the
best of humans so people will look for Chingghis
Khan.

Edited by mongke
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 06:07
It's just a place where they honored Chinggis Khaan, not his burial place.
capcartoonist View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote capcartoonist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2004 at 15:40

RE: Mongol capitals.

I believe Ougudei had 4 capitals because his father had decreed that the Mongols should not settle down.  So Ougudei rotated from one to the other to maintain the letter, if not the spirit, of the law.

Cap
Chono View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Chono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2004 at 04:19

Did he put out any kind of such decree? I never heard of that.

Post Reply Post Reply