Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria
    Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 14:16
VELIKO TARNOVO bulgaria
L I K E  A  F A I R Y T A L E

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 14:22

lol, no Bosnia Very nice pictures Mila

But the last one is not from Veliko Turnovo but from Plovdiv

Edited by Subotai
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 15:08
You're right! I just assumed it was from Tarnovo because it wasn't near commieblocks.

Tell me, Subotai - I look at this, and I think the architecture is Ottoman-ish... but I know Veliko Tarnovo was Bulgaria's capital once upon a time... how much of what we see in these pictures existed before the Ottomans? The building foundations? Or is this a natural Bulgarian style? I mean, they're close enough to Anatolia, it's not a big stretch their pre-Ottoman style would be similar, etc.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 15:09
The left side of this street: http://tinypic.com/jii1eb.jpg

Reminds me on Brasov, Romania - or Nis, Serbia. Or to a less-organized extent, Tuzla, Bosnia. The old 2-floor high, Central European style buildings. When would this part of town have been built?
Isbul View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Isbul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jan-2006 at 16:20

Not sure but probably they are build after the liberation from the ottmans,somewhere around 1880 maybe.

Turnovo fall to the ottmans in 1393 so exept the old remains of the fortress and the wall there is nothing levt.The houses are so called 'Bulgarian renessanse" ( after around 1815).They are common for other bulgarian cities aswell.This houses were homes of the richer traders and craftsman.The narrow streets are common for late midival Turnovo  so the fondations of these buildings maybe from that periond aswell.

Edited by Subotai
blue View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 13:37
Good job,as usuall,now I'm sure that you are Mila from SSC.
the Bulgarian View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 13:52

Thanks for starting the thread, Mila. Surprisingly enough it's not related to Bosnia. 

The people in Veliko Tarnovo take great pride in their city, you know. I have three colleagues from there and they boost non-stop about it. You'd think it was the center of the world.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 13:58

What's SSC, BTW?

blue View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 14:22
Originally posted by the Bulgarian

What's SSC, BTW?

SkyscraperCity.com-if you're interested in urban architecture and stuff go to the SSC forums,we need another bulgarian there(in Eastern Europe subforum)

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 14:28
Originally posted by blue

Yes, I am. You could have just asked, I'd have told you.

Hey, pick another place in Bulgaria to make a thread about. With lots of information. I can find it all myself, but just suggest something. I don't want to do Sofia, it's too obvious.

Edited by Mila
blue View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 14:42

Originally posted by Mila

Hey, pick another place in Bulgaria to make a thread about. With lots of information. I can find it all myself, but just suggest something. I don't want to do Sofia, it's too obvious.

Plovdiv,it's just amaizing,the old town,the Roman theatre...,as for SSC I'm "in the brig" at the moment the serbian moderator didn't like my stile

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 14:48

Plovdiv,it's just amaizing,the old town,the Roman theatre...,as for SSC I'm "in the brig" at the moment the serbian moderator didn't like my stile

You know, I thought it was the Serbs - I truly did. I mean, on the surface, it appears that way. All the Albanians and Bosniaks get banned, the Serbs hardly ever do. Threads where people openly called for the extermination of my people left open while threads saying Albanians are Illyrians were closed.

But I figured out afterwards I left, it's just a power trip. All the mods are just as bad, regardless of their ethnicity. The Croatians completely abandonned the forum, the Poles and Ukrainians both begged for their own to get away from the mods...and not just the Serbian mods, but all of them. So...what can you do?

It's nothing like here. Here even the worst mods, in terms of my beliefs and whether or not they agree, are great.

Komnenos, for example (no offense) - we're probably viewing things as differently as any two people could on this forum, but he's still fair. He says what he thinks, stops people from saying too much insulting to each other, but it's balanced.

Take the ALija Izetbegovic thread. He said something to Surbel for posting these rantings from Serbian nationalists, but also called what I wrote a hegiography and not a critical look at the man and his life. And that's good.

But he didn't just delete all the posts from non-Serbs, close the thread so no one could add to it, and leave it there like they would on SSC.

So it's much better here

And I'm sure you saw from my posts and everything i shared that I was more interested in history and architecture, etc.

and tell them, BLUE: How many threads I made about eerything else in the world besides Bosnia. Because I'm starting here now. LOL

And okay, Plovdiv coming up soon. LOL
Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 14:51

Maybe Varna? I love this city.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote the Bulgarian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 15:01

Veliko Tarnovo

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jump to: navigation, search
Veliko Tarnovo
Map of Bulgaria, PAGENAME is indicated
Data
Oblast: Veliko Tarnovo
Population: 73 115 (13.09.2005)
Altitude: 325 m
Postal code: 5000
Area code: 062
Geographic coordinates: 43 5' north

25 39' east

Mayor
Rumen Rashev
Coat of arms of Veliko Tarnovo Municipality

Veliko Tarnovo ( ; also transliterated as Veliko Turnovo) is a city in central northern Bulgaria and the administrative centre of Veliko Tarnovo Province. It is located on the Yantra River and is famous as the historical capital of the Second Bulgarian Empire, attracting many tourists with its specific architecture.

History

Prehistory and Antiquity

Enlarge

Veliko Tarnovo is one of the oldest settlements in Bulgaria, having a history of more than 5 millenia, as the first traces of human presence date from the 3rd millenium BC on Trapezitsa Hill.

Middle Ages

The historical part of town, which was the capital of Bulgaria during the Second Bulgarian Empire, lies on three hills - Tsarevets, Trapezitsa and Sveta Gora. Veliko Tarnovo is the place where brothers Asen and Peter declared the end of Bynzatine rule in Bulgaria, proclaiming the city a capital. Veliko Tarnovo grew quickly to become the strongest Bulgarian fortification of the Middle Ages between the 12th and 14th century and the most important policital, economic, cultural and religious centre of the empire.

Ottoman rule

The Old Town
Enlarge
The Old Town

The city flourished and grew for 200 years until falling to the Ottoman Empire on 17th July 1393 after a three-month siege, the fortress on the hill being eventually destroyed.

Veliko Tarnovo, known in the middle ages as Tarnovgrad (), was the location of two uprisings against Ottoman rule, in 1598 and 1686, both of which failed to liberate Bulgaria.

Tarnovgrad, along with the rest of present-day Bulgaria, remained under Ottoman rule until the 19th century, when national identity and culture reasserted themselves as a strengthening resistance movement. The idea of the establishment of an independent Bulgarian church and nation motivated the 1875 and 1876 uprisings in town. On 23th Aprik 1876, the April Uprising marked the beginning of the end of the Ottoman occupation. It was soon followed by the Russo-Turkish War (1877-1878).

Liberated Bulgaria

On 7th July 1877, Russian general Joseph Vladimirovich Gourko liberated Veliko Tarnovo, ending the 480-year-rule of the Ottoman Empire. In 1878, the Treaty of Berlin created a Principality of Bulgaria between the Danube and the Stara Planina range, with its seat at the old Bulgarian capital of Veliko Tarnovo.

On 17th April 1879, the first National Assembly convened in Veliko Turnovo to ratify the state's first constitution, known as the Tarnovo Constitution, the key result of which resulted in the transfer of Parliament from Tarnovgrad to Sofia, which today remains the Bulgarian capital.

In deference to the city's past, Tsar Ferdinand Saxe-Coburg Gotha chose the St. Forty Greatmartyrs Church in Veliko Tarnovo as the place to declare the complete independence of Bulgaria on October 5, 1908.

In 1965, the city, then officially known as Tarnovo, was renamed to Veliko Tarnovo (Great Tarnovo) to commemorate its rich history and importance.

Places of interest

One of Bulgaria's primary tourist destinations, Veliko Tarnovo boasts many historical monuments and landmarks, such as the ruins of the castle Tsarevets on the hill of the same name, which housed the royal and patriarchial palace, and Trapezitsa, the second fortress of the inner city on the right bank of Yantra. Other attractions are the St. Dimitre of Solun Church, St. Forty Greatmartyrs Church, the numerous Bulgarian National Revival buildings with their typical architecture, the many museums on various topics.

Photos

blue View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2006 at 15:03
Yep,Mila I can testfy that you posted threads for so many different things and places,and that humor of yours(black sometimes).Lets stick to Plovdiv.
 Post Reply Post Reply