Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Do Greeks looks like Persians?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do Greeks looks like Persians?
    Posted: 16-May-2007 at 18:08
Is he from Khorasan?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 18:33
No, apparently he is from somewhere around Tehran. But he does not look like an indigenous one.  Is he Azari?
omshanti View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote omshanti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 05:37
One thing for sure is that he is a Basiji. I was beaten up by them a few times. I lost a tooth and spent two nights in gaol because of them.

Edited by omshanti - 17-May-2007 at 05:45
Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-May-2007 at 21:32
Originally posted by olvios

In the iliad only menelaus and  Achilees  are blondes aside from gods. Also alexander  wasnt blode despite was modern movies like to tell us.  How come do people think they were mostly blonde? It was a rarity and common only in celts and the such.

O... M... G...! Me being a huge inspiration of Alexander the Great always thought that he had blond hair and blue-eyes... now your saying that Alexander wasnt a blonde, whats going on Dead Well seeing how the painting showed earlier shows Alexander not having blonde hair is clear evidence, I still cannot believe I have had such image that Alexander was blonde when he actually wasnt. Wow, I sure feel stupid right now for not knowing the obivous if true facts Ouch
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 03:43
The misconseption starts from a simple fact: The greek word for blond is "Xanthos" and can be used to describe anything from light brown to extra-blond.

Still, when translated to english, it simply translates as "blond"...

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 04:12
Awwwww yes, translations!!!!!Approve
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
konstantinius View Drop Down
General
General

Quote konstantinius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 19:43
Originally posted by Zagros

There is a difference between Persian and Iranian btw, an Iranian can look anything from East African to Nordic blond.  There are about 20 different ethnic groups in Iran FYI.

But there's less difference among Greeks themselves. So Greeks look like part of the Persian population? And what part that is?

Edited by konstantinius - 26-May-2007 at 19:43
" I do disagree with what you say but I'll defend to my death your right to do so."
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 22:40

I can't quantify that and I personally don't think Persians look like Greeks I can spot an Iranian from 100 metres! You'll just have to go to Iran and judge for yourself. I have been mistaken for a Greek twice, both times by Greeks, once in Greece itself and just before Christmas by a Greek hairdresser.

Edited by Zagros - 26-May-2007 at 22:42
sheeks89 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote sheeks89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jun-2007 at 02:35
some pashtun from afghanistan are said to be descendents of the ancient greeks mixed with the persian blood. greek plus persian=pashtun. recent dna studies prove it. some pashtuns are descendents of the ancient hebrews. the persians are aryans.
we all are humans
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345