Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alija Izetbegovic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alija Izetbegovic
    Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 01:25
Nah, still sadness I think. I remember the footage of refugees returning from Turkey in 1996 - and even with Sarajevo burried in Bosnian flags and the city free from the siege, they still were devastated.

There was a documentary by a Norwiegan filmmaker and he followed a Bosnian Serb family returning to Sarajevo from Belgrade after the war. They were on the bus and once they got close enough in the finished film he stopped narrating and just had subtitles of what was being said. And the mother of the family saw the city and kept saying, "Heart of Jesus, heart of Jesus, oh my God, oh my God, heart of Jesus, heart of Jesus..." and crying. And he just kept that footage unedited for at least 10 minutes. At the end she stopped saying heart of jesus and started saying oh my city, oh my city, oh my city, oh my city - completely hysterical.

It felt like 10 years just watching it.

There was a photography book by Roger Richards...or Richard Rogers, I can't remember - called Impressions and it was photographs of refugees taking a walk downtown for the first time on their return.

He divided them not my people, but by reaction. It was really nice. So the first one was five people, five different pictures, with their hands over their mouths and watering eyes. Then different progressions for the following sets, and the last ones were four or five different people kneeling in the middle of the sidewalk and crying. One Catholic woman had her hands over her face but from cry-praying, not just crying - she had those beads in her hands. And there was an old guy who prayed the Muslim way, with his head down, etc.

Really good piece of history recorded by these things. This was still back when the refugees were hated for having left at all, and welcomed back the same way you'd welcome a traitor.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Bosniathebestcountry View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bosniathebestcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 01:05

LoL, yeah but in that case youd probably cry in happiness, not sadness. Samcan people are so pissed off and sad most dont even want to visit, its too painful. Walking around dowtown and you see a bunch of villagers? mostly serbian village people that were located around samac before.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 00:23
Thats common for everyone. Even if the city still had much of its pre-war population and had been significantly rebuilt, you'd still cry to see it for the first time since the war.
Bosniathebestcountry View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Bosniathebestcountry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 00:02

I never heard of any bosnians ever (except the controversial hanjar division from WWII) destroying serbs or serbian property or hating on orthodox religion. Its all propagandanized B.S.

The serbs are and always will be the ones blamed for the '92 war. there is no excuse for it. and whats worse...that war accomplished absoloutley nothing, in fact it messed things up much worse.

Alija Izetbegovic....many bosnians like him but many dont cuz they thought he was "too soft" and a coward and he never shouldve signed the Dayton contract because the bosnian army at the end stretch had a very big chance at winning the war because they started forcing the serbs out slowly. 

In my opinion, he seemed like a good person who only wanted peace. A good president?....i dont know.

You know, btw... i'm also from Bosanski Samac. I left it when i was 4 because of the war of course. I got a chance to visit it one time right before i came to the states and i bathed in the magnificent river Sava. It used to be a beautiful, peaceful little city and now..... an empty depressing place, with like 8 bosnian-serbs and 2 bosnian-muslims living in it and its belonging to "srpska republica". Every ex-samcanin (no matter what ethnic background) that sees samac now cries when they visit it.

Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 20:44
Yugo, I shall punch the moniter with you.
YuGo View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote YuGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 19:10

@ Alija Izetbegovic,

I don't have much of an opinon of him, Mila. He is just anouther war criminal to me. Saying anything more than that, and I will be considered a Serb nationalist by Bosniaks, and attacked by all of your Turkish, and Soudi Arabian friends!

EDIT:

I will say, I was ready to punch my monitor when I first saw that video, I was so angry. Seeing that Islamic flag over the map of Bosnia Herzegovina, and destroying the Serbian Orthodox Church, and the fact that most of them still live in Bih today just infuriates me!

@ RS Prestident,

I supose that is good news? Anything that gets RS closer to unification with the Federation is good news to me!

Why is he a Cetnik to you, by the way? lol, I don't know much about this man.

Edited by YuGo
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 00:05
Originally posted by merced12

he is hero

rahat uyu bilge kral

Last I heard these words was in the Conan comics in Turkish.Nice words nevertheless...

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2006 at 00:04
By the way, YuGo...

I'll mention this here because it's not worth a new thread and I know you'll check back.

Dodik is new Prime Minister of the Republika Srpska and, although he is severely denying it in the news now, he allegedly said his goal was to be the last Republika Srpska Prime Minister.

I don't like him - he's still a Cetnik, but he's about as good as they come. He accept the Republika Srpska in 1992 but he was still opposed to Karadzic. He's bumped the nationalists from power twice now...

He cooperated fully with the Hague last time and he'll certainly do that again.

So we'll see. Could be good news who knows.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 23:50
You can attack him all you want to - and if you do so with anything worth mentioning (like a video of him meeting with mujahedeen) all the better.

Well, my opinion is this...

Alija Izetbegovic said, while he regrets bringing Arab fighters to Bosnia (mainly for the public relations problems this caused), in the same circumstances he would do the same thing again because we were desperate and needed all the help we could get.

In the area between Zenica and Tuzla, where most of the mujahedeen operated, they most certainly made a difference in the defense of the Bosniak population. That doesn't mean we shouldn't hold them and ourselves responsible for any crimes that were committed against other ethnic groups.

As for Izetbegovic... he must certainly have at least heard reports of crimes being committed by the mujahedeen (Bosniak soliders as well, of course, but I'll stick with the mujahedeen for now). Whether or not he believed they were true can be debated. There were constant reports of massacres of Serbs by Muslims coming from the Serb side. "Serbs are being fed to lions in Sarajevo", "Serbs must ride the yellow trams", "Trebinje has been destroyed, thousands dead", etc, etc, etc. It's possible Izetbegovic heard of these crimes and thought they were simply more of these morale-boosting stories designed to push the Serbian soldiers.

Where I can't really dismiss Izetbegovic's involvement is when you realize he met with this mujahedeen, as your video shows. These fighters didn't put on a show for Izetbegovic, that would be foolish to even imagine. If they discussed policy, if they discussed their actions... and common sense dictates they did... then Izetbegovic must have known their methods and what they planned to do to ethnic Serbian soliders, and probably civilians as well.

Either way, if he was alive he would have to answer for their crimes. Incompetence is not an excuse for war crimes and if they were committed under his watch, as they certainly were, then he should have some responsibility in that. I'd like to think he'd have taken it, but who knows.
YuGo View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote YuGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 19:37

This is no way, is trying to attack Alija Izetbegovic.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,91134-bosnia _p3705,00.html

I found this video, it is a small documentry about radical islamists in Bosnia and Herzegovina. It also shows Alija Izetbegovic meeting with radical islamic soldiors. It's worth a watch! I don't know where else to put it, and since it shows a clip of Alija, I supose this is the best place.

What are your opinions about this video?

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 18:52
I saw something on the news that Turkey named a mosque for him in the Little Bosnia district of Baliksehir.
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 18:49
Alija Izzetbegovic, great man may he R I P.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 18:14
Well the evidence will be sketchy at best, Malizai. It's not as though he shot anyone, and in his public speeches he always expressed the need for tolerance and urged all Bosnians to come together.

Now, does that mean he didn't tell his military commanders to kill every Serb they laid eyes on, of course not. I don't believe that happened but he was in charge and under his watch things most certainly did happen to Bosnian Croats and Bosnian Serbs. In the wider context of the war... am I going to lose sleep over it? Probably not... but I don't think it should go unknown either.

Whatever happened has to be brought to the surface and justice has to be served. If not, you will have people on one side saying - as they do - that not a single Bosniak solider committed a single crime during the war. You'll also have people on the other side saying - as they do - that thousands of Serbs were fed to lions in Sarajevo for public amusement.

Have the truth of whatever crimes were committed by Bosniaks recorded should be as important for every Bosniak, nationalist or not, as it is to every Bosnian Croat and Bosnian Serb.

And all of that is just politics, saving face, etc, etc, etc.

What it really comes down to is someone's mother, someone's son, someone's husband - and there are family members who deserve the know the truth and have anyone responsible punished. That has to overshadow all the politics but I just try to explain, even politically - it's very important.
malizai_ View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Alcinous

Quote malizai_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2006 at 17:23

When the conflict first started i wanted to learn more about this politician who was stuck been a rock and a hard place. I did a search at the Town library and found a book written by him.

Having read the book I realised that he was more of an intellectual than a politician, it also led me to conclude at that time that as long as he is around the Bosnians may get something out of the conflict.

His single most achievement was to keep the defined boundaries of bosnia as they were b4 the start of the conflict. I think the bosniaks owe him a debt of gratitude.

I do not know of war crimes sanctioned by him, and therefore can not comment. But would like to see some independent evidence if it exists.

Cunctator View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Cunctator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Feb-2006 at 21:10

I don't think that there is any need to compare Izetbegovic to Milosevic to argue that the former warranted being investigated, and probably should have been indicted, for war crimes.

Although Serb nationalists have put out a lot of material on Izetbegovic, not all of what they provide is incorrect. His connection to the SS Handzhar division during WW2 is cited in many places, although he was not directly involved in the massacres of Serbs that that organisation committed. He was a recruiter. Interestingly, his bodyguard during the Bosnian War was called Handzhar.

His connections to extremist Muslim groups is also true. He was a personal acquaintance of the chief ideologist in the Islamist regime in Sudan -- that connection is probably the way that Bin Laden's followers were able to enter Bosnia. (Unconfirmed stories are all over that Bin Laden travelled to Sarajevo at least once, perhaps more often, to meet Izetbegovic.) And Izetbegovic did protect the mujahideen fighters when the US and others demanded that they leave, as stipulated in the Dayton Peace Accord.

I always found it interesting that whenever there were stories in the media of a sealed indictment for Izetbegovic, he suddenly had to travel, including to Saudi Arabia for health reasons.

In the Bosnian war, none of the main characters were pure of heart. The Serbs were never very clever about manipulating international public opinion, while the Bosnians hired Rudder-Finn out of New York. That company fashioned an image, that has lasted to this day, that the Bosniaks were a nation of victims led by a kindly old grandfather like figure. The war was far more complicated.

ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Jan-2006 at 09:02
Originally posted by YuGo

If the crimes were small, or large the world should still know about the crimes he commited, if he is to be commited guilty for war crimes. Not saying he will, but if he does...

People try to compare all sides to milosevic in order to aleviate from the fact that he initiated the war.
YuGo View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote YuGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 21:13

If the crimes were small, or large the world should still know about the crimes he commited, if he is to be commited guilty for war crimes. Not saying he will, but if he does...

ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 21:09
Originally posted by Jay.

Alija did commit war crimes, though...

I'm not a fan of his but no matter what you will have to admitt that it was nothing on the scope of karadzic and milosevic.
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 17:56
Alija did commit war crimes, though...
Samo Sloga Srbina Spasava
Only Unity Can Save the Serb
merced12 View Drop Down
General
General

Quote merced12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2006 at 17:25

he is hero

rahat uyu bilge kral

http://www.turks.org.uk/
16th century world;
Ottomans all Roman orients
Safavids in Persia
Babur in india
`azerbaycan bayragini karabagdan asacagim``
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>