Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which language do you think sounds the be

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
phoenix_bladen View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote phoenix_bladen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which language do you think sounds the be
    Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 01:35

I love most of the european languages.

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 22:06

Out of the European languages i like the way French and Italian sounds, and i also like German for some reason, people sound hard when they have deep voices and speak German, but that may be because i used to listen to Rammstein excessively. Gaelic is also an interesting language.

From Middle Eastern languages i like the way Persian sounds, to me it sounds like a very tame version of Arabic, and just sounds nice overall. Also, my dad tells me the dialect of Turkish that is spoken in Istanbul is also a very nice sounding language.

And i also love the way Armenian sounds. Most people havent heard people converse in Armenian, but i like the Eastern dialect better (dialect spoken in Armenia and Iran), but i also like the Western dialect a lot (dialect that is spoken everywhere else outside of Armenia and Iran, the one that i speak).

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 22:26

I like the way Italian and French sound. But I cherish the most Turkish language. It's so soft and melodious. On my visits to Turkey, I would listen to Istanbul radio stations all day long, especially when a female anchored. 
Naturally, I love listening to my own kyrgyz language.

Edited by Elteber
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 15:11

French. It dosn't have harsh/hard pronounciations and has no "fat" parts to it like American English does. There is also a sort of German depth in French - for example when prounouncing r's and u's.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 15:12
http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=381& PN=1
Arrrgh!!"
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 15:14
double post, delete me

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 17:00
Italian and native Irish
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 17:40
German!
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 18:17
Originally posted by Elteber

Naturally, I love listening to my own kyrgyz language.

I know two words in Kyrgyz (which I will probably misspell), 'Salamatsyzbay' and 'Yakhshi kalyniz'. The other day I found an Uzbek language guide in Barnes & Noble and realised that I can understand quite a lot of it knowing Turkish. I know that Kazakh is much more different but I assume Kyrgyz is closer to Turkish than Kazakh is. Understanding spoken Uzbek is hard too but when it's written down and when one reads is slowly it's easy to make out the words, I wonder if that would be the case in Kyrgyz as well. Do you understand Turkish at all when you listen to it?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 20:54

Originally posted by Colchis

I know two words in Kyrgyz (which I will probably misspell), 'Salamatsyzbay' and 'Yakhshi kalyniz'.

Yep, you misspelled!

Salamat = Health
Salamatsyzby = Hello

Salamatsyz by? - It literally means "Are you in good health"?

Jakshy Kalynyz = Good Bye

Jakshy means Good
Kaluu = To stay

So, Jakshy Kalynyz literally means Stay Good

In kyrgyz language, we use J  instead of Y as in word Japan. So, in Uzbek, Azerbaijan and Turkish languages it is Yakshy as in word  Yes, in Kyrgyz and Kazakh it is Jakshy.

Kyrgyz J is soft and pronounced as Dj whereas Kazakh J is hard chiselled almost like in French.

Salamatsyzby is a polite way of saying hello. Usually young people say simply Salam or Kanday.

I know that Kazakh is much more different but I assume Kyrgyz is closer to Turkish than Kazakh is.

Even though Kyrgyz and Kazakh people come from  different roots, our languages are extremely close. You could say we speak almost the same language. Kypchaks (Cumans) deeply influenced kyrgyz people, as well as kazakhs.
Modern Kyrgyz, Kazakh, Karakalpak, Tatar and Bashkort people belong to kypchak group of turkic people. Modern Turks, Azeri and Turkmen belong to oghuz group of turkic people. Uzbeks and Uighurs are of Karluk group of turkic people.

Understanding spoken Uzbek is hard too but when it's written down and when one reads is slowly it's easy to make out the words

Vocabulary of modern Uzbek languages has about 50% of Persian and Arabian words. Whereas Kyrgyz languages has only 11% of them.

Do you understand Turkish at all when you listen to it?

I understand Turkish without problems. I needed only one month to "learn" it. It's  fairly close to Kyrgyz. Grammar is almost exactly the same. I had hard time understanding some Arabian and Persian words in Turkish though.
My uneducated and very religious grandmother understands Turkish without even learning it. That was a total surprise for me. It means if you really know Kyrgyz languages you can't really have difficulties understanding Turkish. My problem was that I went to Russian kindergarden, Russian school and University. I got disconnected from my own language as many kyrgyz did. So, it's a shame.

Edited by Elteber
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 21:08
Originally posted by Elteber

Yep, you misspelled!

In kyrgyz language, we use J  instead of Y as in word Japan. So, in Uzbek, Azerbaijan and Turkish languages it is Yakshy as in word  Yes, in Kyrgyz and Kazakh it is Jakshy.

Kyrgyz J is soft and pronounced as Dj whereas Kazakh J is hard chiselled almost like in French.

Well, better than nothing, I suppose.

Thanks a lot for the details and the explanations, now I can at least greet a Kyrgyz!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 11:52

Post some sound samples, then we decide.

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 13:44
I know some Kyrgyz words too, however these are Persian! Nan (Bread), Darukhane (Drugstore), Kucheh (Lane), Peyqambar (Prophet), Fereshteh (Angel), Duzakh (Hell), Bihesh (Heaven), ...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 19:28

Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I know some Kyrgyz words too, however these are Persian! Nan (Bread), Darukhane (Drugstore), Kucheh (Lane), Peyqambar (Prophet), Fereshteh (Angel), Duzakh (Hell), Bihesh (Heaven), ...

You are right! These kyrgyz words are of persian origins. You misspelled most of them though.

Darykhana - Pharmacy
Kocho - Street
Paygambar - Prophet
Perishte - Angel
Dozok - Hell
Beyish - Heaven

Here are some more of kyrgyz word loaned from persian:

Kuday - God
Bechel - weak, helpless
Shermende - Shame 
Parda - Curtain
Arzan - cheap
Chirak - Bulb, Lamp
Kambagal - poor
Tereze - Window
Pyiaz - Onion
Gul - Flower
Bechara - pity, poor
Durus - right, good

......and many more.

There are also a number of arabian loans in kyrgyz language. Overall persian and arabian words make up about 11% of kyrgyz vocabulary. In comparison, russian, greek and latin words constitute about 20%. It's substantially more than persian and arabian combined.

Southern Kyrgyz use more persian/arabian words than northerners.

For example: Paranda - Bird, Gosh - Meat, Meiman - Guest, Aina - Mirror, etc.

Interestingly northerners arrogantly call people from the south "Sart". It's an extremely offensive word for the southerners; although, Sart simply means a turkified Persian. There's nothing offensive about it at all.

Edited by Elteber
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 08:13

If those are Persian words then you misspelled them!

There are also a number of arabian loans in kyrgyz language. Overall persian and arabian words make up about 11% of kyrgyz vocabulary. In comparison, russian, greek and latin words constitute about 20%. It's substantially more than persian and arabian combined.

No one can deny the recent Russian influence in central Asian languages but if you want to understand the amount of Arabian and Persian influences on those languages then you should read older texts such as Manas, the Kyrgyz national epic. When Manas' parents want to choose a name for him, a Dervish appears from nowhere and says:

"If you'll allow me to make so free,
I shall utter a God-given name!"
Thus did the Dervish to them exclaim.
All the people began to shout:
"Give us the name then, spit it out!"
"At its beginning stands letter "M",
As in Muhammed's most blessed name!
In the middle stands letter "N",
That means "Nabi"--prophetic men.
Then at its end stands the letter "S",
That is the tail of a lion, no less!

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 12:18
Finnish Swedish is damn sexy, Norwegian is cute, though Italian probably gets the prize.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Shifty Russian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Shifty Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Oct-2004 at 01:17

I think spanish is pretty cool, especially when mixed with English.
(Pablo Fransisco - www.pablofransisco.com - this guy is pretty funny - see if you can dl/buy some of his stuff some time - the spanish jokes are the best [u don't need to know spanish to understand - its primarily about spanish people])

I'm also a fan of the Japanese Language (i understand many aren't) - i tried to learn it 3 months... i think im on month 1.5 right now... never got passed lesson 3 on the CD's - not that i don't understand - watasiwa nihogo-ga skoshi wakkari mas - it's just so hard to be bothered.

I wouldn't really rocommend Russian for anyone.

I'm Shifty Russian, Suka
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 00:15

Lol, I didnt think youd know about Pablo. I havent listened to him in a long time, but hes pretty funny.

Originally posted by Shifty Russian

I wouldn't really rocommend Russian for anyone.

One of my friends can write in Russian and is taking a Russian class in college, hes not Russian though, just some Armenian dude. I have to remind him that Armenia doesnt belong to the Soviet Union anymore, lol

Btw Shifty, is the word 'tor' or anything close to that a word in Russian? If so what does it mean? I heard some kids in Karabagh use it when it was starting to rain...its not Armenian and Karabagh-Armenians use some Russian words, thats why im asking.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Shifty Russian View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Shifty Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 01:45

Tor- spelt Top in Russia means Torus

maybe they were talking about desert they were going to have for dinner and you didn't hear the final T in the word "Tort" - but its not pronounced "Tort" - like the legal term in English - with extra exmphasis on the R (as if u were to say Ra (minus the a))

Maybe your friend is more optomistic of the way in which things are to come for the Russians...

I'm Shifty Russian, Suka
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Oct-2004 at 02:31

Maybe so. They are our allies afterall, if any country attacks Armenia, Russia has said that they will take them out, and we should appreciate that kind of support .

Thanks for the information. I guess what they used wasnt a Russian word then, because me and my friend heard them say "Tor a galis" which means "Tor is comming", and they said it right when it began to drizzle. Its probably part of their Karabagh dialect of Armenian, as their dialect is the hardest dialect of Armenian to understand.

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>