Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Samarkand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Samarkand
    Posted: 02-Mar-2012 at 03:04
I don't have time to explore the thread, so I'll just post couple pf pictures to take the it out of the "forgotten zone", because if I lose is I won't be able to find it again.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b5/Samarqand_Bibi_Khanum_Mausoleum.jpg/240px-Samarqand_Bibi_Khanum_Mausoleum.jpg

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/asia/samarkand39.jpg

http://www.silkroadhotels.com/destinations/uzbekistan/samarkand.jpg
Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 09:59

Marakanda. The etnonym Mar and its variants appear in some tribes: Medes called Mar in Armenian sources, Mauryas in India, Merw called Maura, Amyrgians, Moor and Moravians in Europe. Perhaps one of 5 Kangju tribes gave this name to Marakanda? The Saka Amyrgians were the closest.

It's interesting that one of the Kangju tribes - Juni, sounds close to Xion - Chionites while we know that the Chionites forced Sogd from the North much later? 

Edited by Rava
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 17:03
Another theory for the Roman useage of "barbarian" says that it was used in the meaning of nomad, driving from the Berbers.
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
BattleGlory View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote BattleGlory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 16:28

Bear with me, I'm too lazy to go back and quote people here.

Samarkand was called by the Greeks during Alexander's time Marakanda, there is no doubt about this.  The Greeks basically always attempted to produce foreign names accurately when giving names to places.  Marakanda is the name that appears in the Greek texts and there's no reason to doubt its relative validity; it's not even remotely Greek sounding.  I honestly cannot see how some of you can see more similarity between SemizKent and Samarkand than Marakanda and Samarkand.  In addition, the Greeks reported Soghdians in the area (Alexander's generals had difficulty dealing with them and Bessos without Alexander helping), not Turks.  The Sakae were the Scyths, the Scythian language, IIRC, is related to the Persian language.

The Greeks didn't consider non-Greeks to be barbarians, but non-Greek speakers.  The word "barbaros" came about because all foreign languages sounded like to Greeks was "barbarbarbarbar."  The Romans adopted this word.  They, however, took an interesting turn with it.  A "barbarus" could be merely a foreigner or stranger or uncivilized.  Romans considered peoples that sported beards barbarians, which is where the Roman word for beard:  barba.  Ultimately, the English word "barber" is derived from barbarian

The Greeks considered the Persians to be descendents of Perseus, hence the corruption of Parsi/Farsi.

~If you don't know history, you don't know anything.
~Time can change me, but I can't change time.
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 12:55
No, the Soghdians were the sedentary Iranic people of Soghdiana (Samarkand, Bukhara and the such), the Sak were different from them.

Steppes History Forum
Rava View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Rava Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 17:13

Ihsan wrote:The "Iranians" (more correctly "Iranics") I'm talking about are the Eastern Iranic Soghdians.

I belive you mean various Saka tribes dwelled in Central Asia before Turkic conquest. Digs showed that the antropological type of these people hadn't changed for ages. Seems that following waves of steppe invadors like Kushans, Chionites [and the domination of the Hephtalites] were not accompanied with the migration of the whole tribes.

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 09:39

Timur was very civilized and lived in an unimaginable luxury. He liked painting, architecture, sciences, literature, History...

Hmm... So it's time I should mention about his systhematic destruction of Classical statues which he called idols of infidels.

Brutal: Sometimes, he had to be brutal.

Sometimes? Let's say most of the time.

The best words which describe Timur are Intelligent, Sensible, Fair and Trustworthy.

Definitially not!

Timur killed with methodology and reason.

Yes, this shows his brutality

And Timur didn't kill more than the other rulers. And maybe less than the others, because the people (with propaganda of terror) were afraid of him and surrendered without fighting.

Timur did kill more tham many others.

Steppes History Forum
warhead View Drop Down
General
General

Quote warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 17:36

"Yes, only on that. That's why his state broke up immediately after his death, whereas Chinggis Kha'an's state didn't for several decades."

Timur's state didn't break up after his death, his successor was Shah Ruk, although its true that his empire became smaller in that many parts of his conquest declared their independence.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 15:50

Originally posted by ihsan

Vandal, Wild and Brutal are perfect words to describe Timur.

Wild: On the contrary. He was not like Gengis Khan. Timur was very civilized and lived in an unimaginable luxury. He liked painting, architecture, sciences, literature, History...

Brutal: Sometimes, he had to be brutal.

The best words which describe Timur are Intelligent, Sensible, Fair and Trustworthy.

That's why his state broke up immediately after his death

No. It's because his successors were unable.

But he still sacked and looted Bursa which didn't resist

Yes, and many kings felicited him, including King of France and King of England. But for Bursa, some Historians think that the responsable was his grandson...

He did take pleasure from killing people

Absolutly not. He didn't. His soldiers maybe, but Timur killed with methodology and reason.

And Timur didn't kill more than the other rulers. And maybe less than the others, because the people (with propaganda of terror) were afraid of him and surrendered without fighting.

Edited by Noacyl
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Aug-2004 at 14:16

Aha! Assaults on me on many fronts! All right, I shall face all of you on my own

Timur the Lane is a bane. Nothing else.

What's bane?

How do you come to this kind of conclusion? In kyrgyz language, iron is TEMIR. In siberian tuvan language, it's DEMIR. There are names like Temir, Temir Ali and Demir among eastern turks including kyrgyz people. Don't forget about Suleyman Demirel in Turkey. So, Temirlang is a turkic name from the very beginning!

It's more likely that it might have been Temr or Teymr.

Dal's Russian Dictionary:
Barbarian - vandal, uncivilized, uneducated, wild ...

Oxford Spanish Dictionary;
Barbaric - primitivo, brutal

Vandal, Wild and Brutal are perfect words to describe Timur.

To summarize, Temirlang wasn't barbarian for sure!!

I would consider him a bloodsplitting vandalic barbarian of one of the worst types anyway. Just my two cents

Otherwise Christian Crusaders should be called barbarians after mass killings in Kudus (Jerusalem) as well as Napoleon who killed turks in thousands in Egypt, and european settlers in Northern America who killed native american indians like animals, sometimes for reward. Remember righteous mormons who offered $50 per killed indian from devoted christians in Utah? Why nobody calls them barbarians?

I would consider them barbarians too.

In addition, if Temirlang would've been a barbarian, he'd never left such a rich scientific and archiological legacy to mention a few.

Yeah, what about Iran? Turkey? The Qypchaq Steppes?

Selective labeling is extremely unfare. So let's quit calling names Temirlang!!

First, you should quit defending such a brutal butcherer.

Why are you guys trying to defend that guy so much? Because he was Turkic? Oh c'mon, Turkics ain't angels all throughout their history and this guy wasn't for sure (just remember those Turkomans he massacred in Syria, they were Turkic too).

However, it is proven that Gengis Khan made more deaths than Timur.

Yes, I know. He was more barbaric (in the meaning of blood-splitting butcherer) than Timur.

Not only.

Yes, only on that. That's why his state broke up immediately after his death, whereas Chinggis Kha'an's state didn't for several decades.

Hey, who are you btw? Do I know you? Were you a member of the old AE?

That is funny what you wrote because after his death many people called him "the inhabitant of the paradise".

If I was a resident of Samarkand, I would have called him like that. But remember the people who lived in India, Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey and Qypchaqia.

Samarkand is not in ruins. That's a plain lie. It's one of the main cities of Uzbekistan. Modern Samarkand was built/developed by modern central asians and russians/soviets. What was built by Temirlang is considered ancient historical Samarkand, the capital Temirlang's Empire.

AFAIK modern Samarkand and Timur's Samarkand are located inside each other whereas the Ancient Samarkand (the one before Mongol destruction) lies outside the city, in ruins. That's what I saw in one of TRT's documents.

Talk about destruction!! Alexander The Great almost erased Samarkand and brutally killed its population. Samarkand was literally empty after his occupation. Only in the northern part of Samarkand called Afrasiab samarkandians survived.
So who were Greeks and Alexander The Great? Barbarians? Does it make them any different from Mongols and Genghiz Khan?

We're talking about Timur here, not Alexandros III of Macedon. But anyway, Alexandros was a brutal killer too, you ever heard of what he did to Tyre? Or the Greek cities that didn't surrender to him?

I never heard that Samarkand was the ancient Iranian town. Your statement is simply untrue.

Archeologists discovered ancient settlements in Samarkand dating back 40-12 thousand years; Neolitic period - 4000-3000 B.C.; and finally Bronze period - 1500 B.C.

Nothing indicates that Samarkand was the Iranian city. Apparently, by the time Iranians first appeared in the area, Samarkand already existed.

You all seem to be reading my words with your organs that you use to sit on, that's why you all get me wrong (and it pissess me very much when people don't understand what I say).

The Samarkand which Chinggis Kha'an destroyed was Eastern Iranic (or more correctly, Turkified Iranic, by the 11th century), Soghdians still lived there. Of course Iranics didn't exist in the region since the beginning of history, AFAIK they appeared in history during the 2nd millenium BC.

He brought Iranians to Samarkand. The second wave of Iranians arrived to Samarkand in 9th century under Mahmud Gaznevi.

Oh, you got me totally wrong!!   The "Iranians" (more correctly "Iranics") I'm talking about are the Eastern Iranic Soghdians. Now, don't tell me that they were Turkic because they weren't for sure

Even Tajiks in Tajikistan, the only persian speaking country in Central Asia, are sunni.

Tajiks? Persian-speaking? I thought they spoke a different Iranic language

Stop talking nonsense and derived by one-sided sources.

Nonsense? Me? It's you and all the nationalists (Iranians, Turkics and others) who speak nonsense all the time. Thanks God I'm not.

Ah, you are like those Turkish nationalists who think I use one-sided "Western" sources, you also think that I'm one of those Western-licker communist neo-liberal masonic jewish-convert traitors. Poor you    

(it's your fault [or incapability] to realise that I'm not supporting a side - a historian can't and shouldn't support any sides, did you know that, nationalist?)

An Iranian city !!

Ok, corrected that, Iranic. Samarkand was Iranic for centuries before being Turkified.

you are misguided

By whom? How? I'm sure you're more...

but you consider youself as a guru of Turkish history.

No, I didn't and never would consider myself a guru of Turkish history, when did I?! Yalancı!!!  

(Turk universitelerinin acinacak durumu!!)

WTF?

(Turks were already even in Anatolia at least starting from 1071 and established there Anatolian Seljuk state until Mongol conquest)

The Soghdians, even if Turkified up to a point, were still living in Samarkand before the Mongols came. The Soghdians were Eastern Iranic, did you know that? And by the 11th century, they were bilingual (speaking both Iranic Soghdian and Turkic).

2) Against whom did Mongols fight in Transoxiana? A: Khwarizmshahs. Were they Turkic? A: YES.

The last Khrezm-Shh dynasty that grew into a large empire was Turkoman, yes; but it's subjects were made up of many ethnic groups. Just like the Ottomans. Now, don't tell me that only Turks lived in the Ottoman Empire!

3) What were the other Turkic states found in the area and around it? A: You can answer it I guess.

Of course Turkic states were founded in the region, this doesn't mean that Soghdiana's entire inhabitors living under Turkic rule before the 13th century were all Turkic. There were Turkic and Iranic inhabitors living in the region. Starting from the late 6th century AD, the Soghdians and Turkics, with the Soghdians being the majority before the Mongol Destruction, lived in the cities whereas the Turkics became the majority outside urban places after that date.

You don't seem to have the capability to think that different peoples lived togteher at the same place at the same time. You're too narrow-minded.

4) Timur did not give too much harm to the Anatolian city. Since he was allied with great majority of Turkish tribes in Anatolia against Ottoman Turks.

Then please explain me the sacking and looting of Bursa. I'm also waiting from you an explanation of the lack of archive documents of the Ottoman State before Timur's Invasion.

5) Ottoman garrison in Sivas did not surrendered and refused it when Timur offered it. They fought until the end and they surrendered when the situation become hopeless. But they have been killed. Timur was right to do this.

Ok. But he still sacked and looted Bursa which didn't resist (AFAIK).

He did not take pleasure to kill people and he hated when his soldiers related to him the kills.

He did take pleasure from killing people - I've given you a short list of some of his massacres (which incluedes Turks).

Bah, you nationalists would never give up your biased views, would you?

Steppes History Forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 07:06

Originally posted by Alparslan

Ottoman garrison in Sivas did not surrendered and refused it when Timur offered it. They fought until the end and they surrendered when the situation become hopeless. But they have been killed. Timur was right to do this.

Absolutely right. Timur arrived at Sivas on August 10, 1400, and the city, of approximately 120 000 inhabitants, resisted until August 26.

Timur killed 4000 men (they was Christians whom the inhabitants of Sivas gave him) and I agree with you Alparslan, timur was right to do that. Because the aim was to frighten the population and to force the next cities to surrender without fighting (thus that saved lives).

Moreover, the city knew their fate.  Timur never used to pillage and he never used to kill if a city paid (it was like a tax) without fighting. He preferred the taxes rather than plunderings. He did not take pleasure to kill people and he hated when his soldiers related to him the kills.

Edited by Noacyl
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Aug-2004 at 01:56

Anyway, Timur was great in some aspects, but he was also a blood thirsty barbarian.

Stop talking nonsense and derived by one-sided sources. You have to be respectful to every other national hero. If you talk about massacre in Isfahan as an act of an idiot barbar that cannot be seen in civilized societies I remind you Dresden bombing in II WW, atomic bombs in Japanese cities........etc. War is war. You cannot measure the civilization level by only looking at this.

The only good things he did was to re-built Samarkand (yes, the modern city of Samarkand was founded or at least re-built by him - the ancient Iranian town was destroyed by the Mongols and it's still in ruins) and improve arts, trade and agriculture.

An Iranian city !! Sorry but you are misguided but you consider youself as a guru of Turkish history. (Turk universitelerinin acinacak durumu!!) Just to reply a few questions.

1) When did Mongols destroyed the city? A: In early 1200s.

(Turks were already even in Anatolia at least starting from 1071 and established there Anatolian Seljuk state until Mongol conquest)

2) Against whom did Mongols fight in Transoxiana? A: Khwarizmshahs. Were they Turkic? A: YES.

3) What were the other Turkic states found in the area and around it? A: You can answer it I guess.

4) Timur did not give too much harm to the Anatolian city. Since he was allied with great majority of Turkish tribes in Anatolia against Ottoman Turks.

5) Ottoman garrison in Sivas did not surrendered and refused it when Timur offered it. They fought until the end and they surrendered when the situation become hopeless. But they have been killed. Timur was right to do this.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 19:23

The only good things he did was to re-built Samarkand (yes, the modern city of Samarkand was founded or at least re-built by him - the ancient Iranian town was destroyed by the Mongols and it's still in ruins) and improve arts, trade and agriculture.

Samarkand is not in ruins. That's a plain lie. It's one of the main cities of Uzbekistan. Modern Samarkand was built/developed by modern central asians and russians/soviets. What was built by Temirlang is considered ancient historical Samarkand, the capital Temirlang's Empire.

Talk about destruction!! Alexander The Great almost erased Samarkand and brutally killed its population. Samarkand was literally empty after his occupation. Only in the northern part of Samarkand called Afrasiab samarkandians survived.
So who were Greeks and Alexander The Great? Barbarians? Does it make them any different from Mongols and Genghiz Khan?

...the ancient Iranian town was destroyed by the Mongols...

I never heard that Samarkand was the ancient Iranian town. Your statement is simply untrue.

Archeologists discovered ancient settlements in Samarkand dating back 40-12 thousand years; Neolitic period - 4000-3000 B.C.; and finally Bronze period - 1500 B.C.

Nothing indicates that Samarkand was the Iranian city. Apparently, by the time Iranians first appeared in the area, Samarkand already existed.

So when Samarkand was founded? Answer: Unknown.
Who founded Samarkand? Answer: Unknown

Iranians and Samarkand:

First mentioning of Iranians in Samarkand dates back 5th century B.C. during Persian King Kir the Second's conquest of Central Asia. He brought Iranians to Samarkand. The second wave of Iranians arrived to Samarkand in 9th century under Mahmud Gaznevi. Third wave took place in 17th century under Shah Abbas.

In 10th century Arabs were forced out of Samarkand by Soghdians. The bloody fight resulted in almost complete killing of all male population of Samarkand. Arabian general Nasr Ibn Seyar fled  to Iran and after recruiting Persian soldiers returned back. Later he forced Iranian soldiers to marry soghdian women.

But the largest group of Iranians was brought to Samarkand from Mevr by Emir Murad Shah in 1740. 
Unfortunately in that time Samarkand suffered from cholera disease. Half of population died. To fill the void people were brought from other places. That's how Iraqi warriors of Bayram Ali Khan ended up in Samarkand.

Most of Samarkand's Iranians were  Azeri Turks. They spoke turkic language from the very beginning. That's why today decendants of iranians in Samarkand use uzbek language (turkic), not persian as in Bukhara.

Also unlike Bukharians, Iranians of Samarkand are shiite muslims. It's very rare to see shiites among Central Asians. Even Tajiks in Tajikistan, the only persian speaking country in Central Asia, are sunni.

So,  the word "Iranian" means Turk in Samarkand. I find it very funny!!

As far as for Soghdians, their language is not intelligible to people speaking Farsi/Dari/Tajiki. Nevertheless, Soghdian language belongs to eastern branch of iranian languages.

Edited by Elteber
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 18:19

Anyway, Timur wasn't an angel like you describe.

That is funny what you wrote because after his death many people called him "the inhabitant of the paradise".

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 17:18

And they are highly exaggarated too.

Yes probably, because there too the sources are not objective.

However, it is proven that Gengis Khan made more deaths than Timur.

Chinggis Kha'an was a state creater, an empire builder who relied on strong laws

Timur too.

Timur built an empire only on looting and pillaging.

Not only.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 17:18

Timur's Turkic name would be Temr or Teymr.

How do you come to this kind of conclusion? In kyrgyz language, iron is TEMIR. In siberian tuvan language, it's DEMIR. There are names like Temir, Temir Ali and Demir among eastern turks including kyrgyz people. Don't forget about Suleyman Demirel in Turkey. So, Temirlang is a turkic name from the very beginning!

Anyway, Timur was great in some aspects, but he was also a blood thirsty barbarian.

What is your definition of word "barbarian"? 

Longman Dictionary:
Barbarian - someone from a different tribe or land who people believe to be wild not civilized

Webster's New Complete Thesaurus:
Barbarian - relating to, or charasteristic of people that are not fully civilized. E.g. The barbarian tribes that sacked Rome

Dal's Russian Dictionary:
Barbarian - vandal, uncivilized, uneducated, wild ...

Oxford Spanish Dictionary;
Barbaric - primitivo, brutal

How word barbarian came to use?
Ancient Greeks called everybody who wasn't greek a "barbaroi". Later Romans called everybody who wasn't roman or greek a "barbari". Basicly this word meant a foreigner, often with the meaning asian for ancient Greeks and Romans.
So, Persians were barbarians for Greeks; Germanic tribes were barbarian for Romans. Interestingly, word Persian is a greek corruption of word Farsi/Parsi.
The word Barbarian passed to other languages around the world with the meaning uncultured, uncivilized and brutal.

To summarize, Temirlang wasn't barbarian for sure!! He was brutal, but not uncivilized. Otherwise Christian Crusaders should be called barbarians after mass killings in Kudus (Jerusalem) as well as Napoleon who killed turks in thousands in Egypt, and european settlers in Northern America who killed native american indians like animals, sometimes for reward. Remember righteous mormons who offered $50 per killed indian from devoted christians in Utah? Why nobody calls them barbarians?

In addition, if Temirlang would've been a barbarian, he'd never left such a rich scientific and archiological legacy to mention a few.

Selective labeling is extremely unfare. So let's quit calling names Temirlang!!

Edited by Elteber
Dari View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Dari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 17:04
Timur the Lane is a bane. Nothing else.

Dari is a pimp master
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 16:56

And they are highly exaggarated too. Chinggis Kha'an was a state creater, an empire builder who relied on strong laws, Timur built an empire only on looting and pillaging.

Anyway, Timur wasn't an angel like you describe.

Steppes History Forum
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 16:44

Slaughters of Timur were extremely exaggerated.  Often the sources are not objective and deform reality.

he massacred the entire population of Isfahan

No, that's wrong. In Isfahan, Timur saved the women and the children. And much of men fled the city before the arrival of Timur.  Moreover he also saved the scientists, the artists and the intellectuals.  And as you said, Timur killed because the Isfahanis killed 3000 timurids.

Timur killed to frighten the population and to force the next ones to capitulate without fighting (thus that saved lives).

Timur was not like Gengis Khan. Gengis Khan was worse because he wanted to destroy the agricultural and urban life.  The Moslem historians estimated the massacres of gengis khan:  Merv 700 000 dead at least, Herat 1 600 000, Djuvaini 2 400 000!

Edited by Noacyl
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 13:35

Timur's Turkic name would be Temr or Teymr.

Anyway, Timur was great in some aspects, but he was also a blood thirsty barbarian. For example, he massacred the entire population of Isfahan because his small garrison at the city was killed; he executed 30,000 war captives in India; he built two tall towers made from the skulls of massacred Turkomans in Syria; he destroyed many Anatolian cities; burnt the entire Ottoman archive, etc etc... At the siege of Sivas, he promised that no one's blood should be spilled if the Ottoman garrison surrendered to him. When the garrison surrendered, he burried them alive.

His campaigns against the Ottomans caused that state to fall into an 11 year lasting civil war and his Golden Horde campaigns later helped Russians to gain strength and create a huge Russian Empire.

Steppes History Forum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>