Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bush Authorized Domestic Spying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bush Authorized Domestic Spying
    Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 23:44
I think that these powers, as theoretically beneficial as their explicit description is, still possess strong capacity to be used to purposes other than what they were designed for. The fact that the proper method of entrusting the president with such powers (in this case they were simply arrogated) was completely ignored only undermines their credibility further.

Edited by Constantine XI
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2005 at 09:42
I am quite surprise by the reaction of most Americans conservatives to this news. Except for a few upstanding and thoughtful conservatives--you know who you are--most have decided to react on partisan lines and stick to the talking points from the party, endorsing Bush's actions as necessary.

I was expecting something else, to be frank. Ten years ago, Republicans were fierce defenders of the Constitution and Individual Rights. They were distrustful of the government and wanted to limit its power over individuals.

Back then they were fond of quoting the U.S. founding fathers with their warning against tyranny and the government.

I was expecting these true conservative values to be rekindled when they learned that Bush had secretly grabbed power. The government is searching without warrants, violating the 4th Amendment. Second, I assumed that conservatives held their own president to a higher standard.

As I said before, this is about our Constitution. Our president seems to have violated the Constitution, has admitted to doing so, and has said that he will do it again.

Please think through this issue again, and let your values for freedom and democracy guide your judgement.
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2005 at 10:50

Originally posted by hugoestr

I am quite surprise by the reaction of most Americans conservatives to this news. Except for a few upstanding and thoughtful conservatives--you know who you are--most have decided to react on partisan lines and stick to the talking points from the party, endorsing Bush's actions as necessary.

I was expecting something else, to be frank. Ten years ago, Republicans were fierce defenders of the Constitution and Individual Rights. They were distrustful of the government and wanted to limit its power over individuals.

Back then they were fond of quoting the U.S. founding fathers with their warning against tyranny and the government.

I was expecting these true conservative values to be rekindled when they learned that Bush had secretly grabbed power. The government is searching without warrants, violating the 4th Amendment. Second, I assumed that conservatives held their own president to a higher standard.

As I said before, this is about our Constitution. Our president seems to have violated the Constitution, has admitted to doing so, and has said that he will do it again.

Please think through this issue again, and let your values for freedom and democracy guide your judgement.

Hugo

I totally agree.  Defending America is very important but defending the Constitution is also very important.  Bush is the president of the United States, not the King of the United States.  There were legal procedures that Bush could have followed, but elected to violate the rule of law & stated he would do it again. 

We look like hyprocrites when we critize China, Cuba, N. Korea, Russia, etc... when we are doing the same thing (Spying) ourselves. 

I am all for defending America at all cost, but they must be legal.  That is what made America great.  The rule of law.

Jiangwei

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2005 at 20:22

I agree with you Hugo. If this is allowed to stand it effectively gives the President the right to change the Constitution as he sees fit without Congressional involvement.

Nixon tried this in the early seventies and I think was met with the appropriate response.

BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 22:03

[quote]
Bush Authorized Domestic Spying
Post-9/11 Order Bypassed Special Court

By Dan Eggen
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 16, 2005; Page A01

President Bush signed a secret order in 2002 authorizing the National Security Agency to eavesdrop on U.S. citizens and foreign nationals in the United States, despite previous legal prohibitions against such domestic spying, sources with knowledge of the program said last night.

The super-secretive NSA, which has generally been barred from domestic spying except in narrow circumstances involving foreign nationals, has monitored the e-mail, telephone calls and other communications of hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of people under the program, the New York Times disclosed last night.

The aim of the program was to rapidly monitor the phone calls and other communications of people in the United States believed to have contact with suspected associates of al Qaeda and other terrorist groups overseas, according to two former senior administration officials. Authorities, including a former NSA director, Gen. Michael V. Hayden, were worried that vital information could be lost in the time it took to secure a warrant from a special surveillance court, sources said.

This is something that should worry Americans, regardless the party that they belong to.

Civil liberties are at the core of the U.S. There were put there so prevent the government into turning into a tyranny and start oppressing its own citizens.

They guarantee freedom of thought, religion, press, and public assembly.

The president giving himself extraordinary powers, with the help of his legal team, is outright undemocratic.

How many times should we learn that if we give power, power will be abused? That giving up liberty for safety bring no safety and no freedom?

Americans should identify who in Washington is defending their freedom and who is undermining it.

http://tinyurl.com/chn4l
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/12 /16/AR2005121600021.html

http://tinyurl.com/chn4l[/QUOTE

-Well if we are looking at who is defending our freedoms, the first place to rule out is the New York Times which published the initial article. The New York Times has a history of their reporting directly relating to their political agenda. The Washington Post is not much better!

-First, as an American, I do not feel as though my civil liberties have been violated or compromised in any way. I prefer that the government keep tabs on suspected terrorist activities, notice we haven't had another 9/11 yet have we? People are acting like we need to look over our shoulder here in the US, this is completely incorrect! The monitoring is very similar to that done with suspected drug dealers, but with much greater risks. Computer programs screen for key words, that is it. If words are identified, further investigation may be required. The government is not sitting around monitoring my business phone calls. The idea that we are in communist Russia is absurd, as it is those conspiring with the terrorist that need to be concerned. I do not want to compromise the safety of my family, friends, or myself for the "hurt feelings" of the people heavily attacking the President's decisions. To combat terrorism, we must have rapid response. In times of war, the President must be allowed to make split second decisions to ensure the safety of our people. If the President did something wrong, I doubt he would be that quick to admit the allegations. Safety is the most important issue to me, including monitoring suspected terrorist activity. The innocent man has nothing to fear, as we are not facing secret police kicking down our doors everyday........Let's be serious here, can anybody actually argue the case that they fear for their privacy while innocently residing in the United States? The people have great privacy and freedoms here, so let's lay off smashing President Bush for a little while and concentrate on news other than material used solely to lower approval ratings.  

-The story in general....

-First and foremost, if this was such a big story, then why did the Times wait almost an entire YEAR to report it? Usually they would be all over anything that they could use to attack the President. In my opinion, there are several reasons. First, President Bush is pressuring Congress to approve the Patriot Act....... Second, a man involved with the story is releasing a book over the subject matter......... Third, the Iraqi people made history on election day with a turnout far greater than anyone could of expected. This is all over the news right? No, it is not. These recent "scandalls" have shadowed the good news of Iraq with yet another "criminal act" of President Bush. Ridiculous! Timing is everything I guess! Sadly, this is nothing new. I do not want to solely pick on the times, so I will say media in general. The media is reporting news that clearly serves for politics, not the people! Many of us are tired of getting year old gossip as news........ They are not fooling most of us......... Peoples blind hatred of the President make them ignorant to progress.

-Defending freedoms: Those who look out for the safety and prosperity of America and their allies.

-Compromising freedoms: Those who do not care about America or their allies and use their outlets to cram abunch of nonsense down the peoples throats.

-Middle America is NOT represented by the far left-wing media, and the average person finds these "back and forths" annoying, worthless and dramatically overstaying their welcome.

-Another "important" story from the New York Times and Washington Post! Next time, don't make us wait a year to hear it!

Edited by BMC21113
"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 22:20
Originally posted by DukeC

I agree with you Hugo. If this is allowed to stand it effectively gives the President the right to change the Constitution as he sees fit without Congressional involvement.

Nixon tried this in the early seventies and I think was met with the appropriate response.

It is a little late to fear Constitutional change. Who would think that live sex acts in Oregon was covered under free speech? The Constitution is being and has been manipulated (or should I say mutilated) beyond recognition. Funny it seems to matter now that President Bush is on the stands!

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace"-George Washington
"The art of war is, in the last result, the art of keeping one's freedom of action."-Xenophon
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 22:39

I can agree with you on this Hugo but I am not a Republican and I am learning to distrust both parties. I am an Independent and I even vote Democratic at times but I am conservative on most issues. My parents were staunch Republicans but my dear little sister is liberal so we avoid politics period. I really seach the issue and I need time to explore this more but giving up our freedoms for security can be a very slippery slope to tyrrany!!

Many conservatives do not realize the Patriot Act has a clause in it that would allow the 2nd Amendment to be dissolved in the case of a natural or manmade disaster by the state government and the federal government.

Local authorities attempted in during Katrina and the NRA is taking them to court.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 23:34
BMC21113,

I asked to put aside your ideological rhetoric and think about the issue. I could easily reply using equivalent ideological rhetoric, but this is not my intention.

This is because Bush's violations on our Constitution go beyond normal ideological debates: this attacks the core of our democratic soul.

In American football, we can all debate which team is better, the Red Skins or the Cowboys, but we cannot have the players changing the rules, without telling anyone, at mid game. Frankly, if players decided to change the rules in the middle of the game, the institution of football as we know it is over, to the sorrow of football fans, regardless of their team affiliation.

This is similar to what is going on with this case: we cannot have the president granting himself powers in secret, without Congressional or Court oversight, directly violating a law that addresses the issue of domestic intelligence and the NSA.

Bush broke the law, admitted to breaking the law, and promissed to break the law again.

As I said in my last post in this thread, I am appealing to your values in restraining the power of government and its abuses; the same values that were championed back in the Republican Revolution of 1994.
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 00:18

I wonder if Tobodai said something wrong over the phone? I mean we haven't seen in a couple of weeks, probably mouthed off about Bush...

I like the idea that we can hunt down terrorist easier, but a government with this kind of power could be dangerous. Especially if they can take away the 2nd amendment like eaglecap said.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 01:40

BMC21113,

I asked to put aside your ideological rhetoric and think about the issue. I could easily reply using equivalent ideological rhetoric, but this is not my intention.

-This is not a matter of ideology, but common sense. The ideology is what I tried to state was the problem. This is not real news.....Once again, look at my main points..... I try to not be an ideological person, but push often comes to shove on all of these topics. You are exactly correct, as stated, the constant "back and forths" need to stop. Being said, is it simply by chance that the story was released when it was? Really, does that not seem like it serves a purpose of ideology. I am stating what I see as facts, as it is no secret that these stories are often exaggerated and reported at strategic times to continue to divide the country.

This is because Bush's violations on our Constitution go beyond normal ideological debates: this attacks the core of our democratic soul.

-We live in a democracy, yes. Is it fair to say that extreme measures should be taken to prevent a terrorist attack? Can you acknowledge the advantage of a rapid response against terrorism? It is a system of pros and cons, and in my opinion violates no civil liberties. Trust me, I would be the last to willingly give any of my freedoms away, but that is not what is happening here. Show me what part of the Constitution was violated. Their will be a hearing, nothing will come of it. More propoganda against the President, it is nothing new.

In American football, we can all debate which team is better, the Red Skins or the Cowboys, but we cannot have the players changing the rules, without telling anyone, at mid game. Frankly, if players decided to change the rules in the middle of the game, the institution of football as we know it is over, to the sorrow of football fans, regardless of their team affiliation.

-The rules were not changed. Their will be a hearing, nothing will come of it. As a law abiding citizen, I do not feel my rights have been violated. I would be against anything that I felt endangered my freedom, and that would be terrorism. The rules can not be changed on EITHER side. I have heard several experts say that Bush was justified in his decision..... I will stick to that until proven otherwise.

This is similar to what is going on with this case: we cannot have the president granting himself powers in secret, without Congressional or Court oversight, directly violating a law that addresses the issue of domestic intelligence and the NSA.

-Once again, where is the evidence of all of this? If he did something illegal, he would not of admitted his involvement so quickly. If the law was broken, the courts will decide. Until then, this is all speculation.

Bush broke the law, admitted to breaking the law, and promissed to break the law again.

-This is ideological rhetoric. Once again, the courts will decide if any laws were broke, which I am sure were not.

As I said in my last post in this thread, I am appealing to your values in restraining the power of government and its abuses; the same values that were championed back in the Republican Revolution of 1994.

-The government would need restraint if they did something wrong. This is war time, and all the rules change. The war we fight now is unlike that of any wars past, once again, combatting terrorism requires quick response. If the government were truly abusing these powers as claimed, then why is this news surfacing now? This is my main point. The whole report is based on a political agenda.

-We can agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with a little debate, and please take no offence to my post. The same situation can easily be interpreted very differently according to the individual.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 08:25
NRA and leftwingers against Bush
what an unusual alliance
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 09:27

An interpretation (by the Administration's attorney general) of the provisions of an act passed in the wake of 9-11 should not be sufficient for this degree of surveillance.  I agree with previous comment that if the threat is present, address the government's position in person to an appropriate judge to get the enabling warrants.

Warrants expire, so review in light of current events and circumstances can be undertaken.  While I realize that it was seen as important to move quickly, the strong opinion of the President on a matter of national security would have resulted in warrants....quickly.  That would have been preferable to an Executive Order.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 09:43
Originally posted by BMC21113

BMC21113, I asked to put aside your ideological rhetoric and think about the issue. I could easily reply using equivalent ideological rhetoric, but this is not my intention.

-This is not a matter of ideology, but common sense. The ideology is what I tried to state was the problem. This is not real news.....Once again, look at my main points..... I try to not be an ideological person, but push often comes to shove on all of these topics. You are exactly correct, as stated, the constant "back and forths" need to stop. Being said, is it simply by chance that the story was released when it was? Really, does that not seem like it serves a purpose of ideology. I am stating what I see as facts, as it is no secret that these stories are often exaggerated and reported at strategic times to continue to divide the country. This is because Bush's violations on our Constitution go beyond normal ideological debates: this attacks the core of our democratic soul.

-We live in a democracy, yes. Is it fair to say that extreme measures should be taken to prevent a terrorist attack? Can you acknowledge the advantage of a rapid response against terrorism? It is a system of pros and cons, and in my opinion violates no civil liberties. Trust me, I would be the last to willingly give any of my freedoms away, but that is not what is happening here. Show me what part of the Constitution was violated. Their will be a hearing, nothing will come of it. More propoganda against the President, it is nothing new.

-The rules were not changed. Their will be a hearing, nothing will come of it. As a law abiding citizen, I do not feel my rights have been violated. I would be against anything that I felt endangered my freedom, and that would be terrorism. The rules can not be changed on EITHER side. I have heard several experts say that Bush was justified in his decision..... I will stick to that until proven otherwise.

-Once again, where is the evidence of all of this? If he did something illegal, he would not of admitted his involvement so quickly. If the law was broken, the courts will decide. Until then, this is all speculation.Bush broke the law, admitted to breaking the law, and promissed to break the law again.

-This is ideological rhetoric. Once again, the courts will decide if any laws were broke, which I am sure were not.

-The government would need restraint if they did something wrong. This is war time, and all the rules change. The war we fight now is unlike that of any wars past, once again, combatting terrorism requires quick response. If the government were truly abusing these powers as claimed, then why is this news surfacing now? This is my main point. The whole report is based on a political agenda.

-We can agree to disagree. Nothing wrong with a little debate, and please take no offence to my post. The same situation can easily be interpreted very differently according to the individual.

Thanks for your response to my comments.

Now, I still believe that there is some reflexive ideological response in your last post, and I, if it is all possible, I would wish that you give a try to seeing this issues under a less partisan light.

Not that I think that there is anything wrong with ideological debate; I actually think that debate is the healthy exercise of democracy. But, as I said before, this is a different situation.

I will address your concern in the hopes that you will do the same for mine.

The story didn't break until now because the New York Times sat on it when the White House requested the story not to be published. If the NYT knew of this during last year's election, it would have cause greater political damage: Bush could have lost the election. Because of this, many on the left feel that the NYT politically helped Bush.

Now, since I have addressed your main argument, please think over mine.

Bush claims that everything changed after 9-11, and that because of this, he has the legal right to do anything he wants, in the name of expediency and national security. In the face of an emergency, most people will grant the president those powers without thinking twice about. So had the president broken the law during 9-11, nobody, except for moral absolutists, would care.

The problem here is that he wrote secret authorizations that brake the law when there isn't any emergency. And he broke a law that is very flexible: tapping can occur immediately as long as a warrant is asked within three days, and in case of emergency, the tapping can be extended for 15 days. There was no need to violate this law. And if he felt that it wasn't flexible enough, he could have asked Congress to change it.

And Bush's violation of current laws together with his four-year claim that we need to give up on civil liberties for security, together, should be worrisome.

Asking people to give up on liberty for security seems to be a very common request from dictators throughout history, isn't it? Wasn't this Augustus' argument too?

And we all know that power will be abused, once granted, if it is not bound. Correct?

Bush believes that he has unlimitted powers, rules as if he has, and is justifying this in the name of security.

To me, this indicates that our Democratic institutions are in peril, because Bush's behavior and arguments mirror those from dictators in world history. I feel that this is a time to prevent history from repeating itself.

And having grown up in a soft-dictatorship myself, I have identified many similarities between Bush and the old, home regime.

But I may be wrong. Please persuade me and correct me from my error. And if it is all possible, please avoid partisan defenses for Bush.

To help on this, let's use another name and another country to examine the issue.

If Hugo Chavez in Venezuela wrote secret acts in violation to existing laws on domestic spying, and then justified his action in the name of national security, would you think of him as a dictator?

Looking forward to your answer,

Hugo
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 11:22

To Hugo:

-Thank you for the response, and I see where you are coming from. Ideology can sometimes create blind faith, but this is not the case with me. As mentioned, I try to not be an ideological person, but a problem solver. The problem is terrorism, the solution, capturing insurgents and preventing future attacks. Being said, I am still not satisfied with the timing of the story. To me, it is obvious that this is another "scam" where the media is simply trying to overshadow any progress we are making in the war. Now, is this any suprise? How many times has this happened before? I do not believe that powers have been abused, as the detection program is very selective. If anything, the release of this story threatens our security. My point is this: I for one am tired of receiving inflated news aimed to intentionally bash the President. If I felt that any civil liberties were abused, I would certainly not defend the decisions made. 

-You are right on the money with the post, and I will admit, it does make you think. The real issue is how much weight should we give this story? As much as it bothers me, I barely know what news to believe anymore. 

-For your concerns......

-First, when before has the NYT respected the Presidents wishes? Is it possible that there were alternate motives for the timing of this release?

-Second, the general public does not know if their was an emergency or not. Is it fair to say that terrorist conspire against the US everyday? I believe that this is a very fair statement. Now, as mentioned, why do these actions affect your "average Joe?" They do not. We already have wire-tapping provisions which are exercised in our country on a daily basis. Now, does the innocent civilian need to fear for their safety of privacy because of these wire-tappings? I for one have never been hasseled. I do not know you, but you seem to be an intelligent guy, and I doubt you have been hasseled either. Who does the wire-tapping affect? Those guilty of crime and/or criminal conspiracy!  

-Third, "And we all know that power will be abused, once granted, if it is not bound. Correct?"

-Exactly right, but can we say that power has been abused. Again, as of now, these are allegations. If I find out that the government is conducting hours of surveillance on "chit chat," then I will be very angry. I do not believe anything like this has happened, because if so, their are plenty of people who hate the President so deeply they would use this as grounds for impeachment. I think nothing will come out of the hearing, though I may be wrong.

-Finally, Comparing Bush with a dictator. I will be honest, when I think of a dictator, our President DOES NOT come to mind. I fully understand your concerns, but I think this thing is being blown out of proportion. I could be wrong on this issue, but we will have to wait and see. In the United States, the people would not stand for a dictatorship. Their has never been one here before, I doubt their ever will. Now, times of war draw strong emotional feelings, this is nothing new. People fear for their safety, privacy and way of life. These are justified concerns, but it is important to see past the "smoke screen" of the "political football" constantly taking place. I for one enjoy my life. I am not a rich man, but live a comfortable life.....and would not let that be taken away. I enjoy going to dinner and a movie with my girl or throwing the pigskin around with my buddies. Those who hate American values and vow death and destruction to Americans are the ones who compromise our lifestyles, therefore the ones I am concerned about. If in fact this turns out to be a story of any REAL SIGNIFICANCE, then I will retract all of my previous statements. Until then, I see it as more "mud" to sling at the President.

-Thanks for the response, and I guess we will just have to wait and see how this one plays out. You have a great argument, and if these allegations turn out to be true, then I will quickly change my opinion. As of now though, I am not looking too deep into this. The purpose of my argument is NOT to defend the President, but rather to explain the context of the situation. Thanks again for an alternate view, and we will learn the truth soon enough I hope. I am a private investigator, and understand the laws relating to wire-tapping. They are almost solely conducted by FBI or other law enforcement. Being said, I feel as though Bush should be allowed to conduct wiretapping if our safety is compromised. I can not say if our safety is in jeopardy, but if it is, then I for one want to ensure the protection of our people at any cost. Again, thanks for the debate. We have the right to question the Presidents actions, but should not jump to conclusions. The truth will surface at the hearing, and until then, it is unfair to claim these allegations as TRUTH. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your loved ones. Thanks-

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 15:46

First, you think: "I've done nothing that would put me under "the scope""

Then, you ask yourself: "Who's calling "the scope" on someone"

Then, you go to aprty and say a joke.

Then two, or more "blacksuites" come and ask you to answer some questions. Which you do and after that are free to go on your way.

Then, you ask yourself: "Am I considered a villain?"

Then, you ask yourself: "Is anyone I know that considered me a villain?"

And you can't answer these questions.

Then you would say: "I will "behave" so that there never ever be a chance that those "blacksuites" come again!". And you will suspect evryone who doesn't "behave": "Does he relly mean that or it's just provocation. Hmm, I'd better sit tight. Or should I report him to the authorities?"

And finally, you would live in a country where everybody "behaves". It's a free country. The crime rate would be an insignificant ammount of what it used to be. There would be so few jails! Except that the whole "free country" would have turned into a huge jail ... 

*Welcome to the USSA!

BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 16:32
Originally posted by Cezar

First, you think: "I've done nothing that would put me under "the scope""

Then, you ask yourself: "Who's calling "the scope" on someone"

Then, you go to aprty and say a joke.

Then two, or more "blacksuites" come and ask you to answer some questions. Which you do and after that are free to go on your way.

Then, you ask yourself: "Am I considered a villain?"

Then, you ask yourself: "Is anyone I know that considered me a villain?"

And you can't answer these questions.

Then you would say: "I will "behave" so that there never ever be a chance that those "blacksuites" come again!". And you will suspect evryone who doesn't "behave": "Does he relly mean that or it's just provocation. Hmm, I'd better sit tight. Or should I report him to the authorities?"

And finally, you would live in a country where everybody "behaves". It's a free country. The crime rate would be an insignificant ammount of what it used to be. There would be so few jails! Except that the whole "free country" would have turned into a huge jail ... 

*Welcome to the USSA!

-Seems to be a little grim. This could not happen, even as a worse case scenario. Our media would latch onto the first report of domestic espionage, (even on suspected terrorists) and use it to bring the administration to its knees. (just as they are attempt to do) Most Americans seem to feel that the espionage is justified for security purposes on suspected terrorists or terrorist supporters, not "Bob" and "Jane" going over their grocery lists over the phone. This scenario is nothing more than a conspiracy theory, more suited for the fiction section in a book store. The people would never give up their freedom, and here, the people actually have the ability to defend themselves if bad ever went to worse.

Edited by BMC21113
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 17:26
BMC21113,

Please don't dismiss Cezar's scenario. If Cezar is really from Romania, he knows what he is talking about. And let me tell you that this scenario is not far fetched.

While living in Mexico, as a student, I had an older student connected with government talk to me about my political ideas. Later, I attended political meetings where there was an infiltrator from the government. This was towards the end of the soft dictatorship, mind you.

I have spoken with Rumanians in the U.S., and our experiences were similar. This is the reality of a dictatorship.

Oh, by the way, here is the story on domestic spying that you requested. It already happened. Somehow, I don't see the press paying too much attention to it or the people revolting.

As I said, I think that that common Americans can still do something about this, if we leave aside our political differences and work together to preserve society. If you are interested, PM me and we can organize a letter campaing together

FBI counterterrorism investigators are monitoring domestic U.S. advocacy groups engaged in antiwar, environmental, civil rights and other causes, the American Civil Liberties Union charged yesterday as it released new FBI records that it said detail the extent of the activity.
The ACLU said it received 2,357 pages of files on PETA, Greenpeace, the American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee and the ACLU itself. One file referring to the committee included a contact list for students and peace activists who attended a 2002 conference at Stanford University aimed at ending sanctions then in place in Iraq.

FBI spies on American organizations, ACLU, peace activists, PETA
BMC21113 View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote BMC21113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 18:09

Hugo:

-I am not trying to dismiss any of Cezars claims, but let's be serious here. I understand what happened in Romania, as well as many other places in the world, but Romania was never even similar to the USA. Now, PETA and the ACLU.......

-PETA: An organization known for extreme activism and discontent with the government. Several sources document them as being "sympathetic" with terrorist, and that is the least that we know. I am not saying all members of PETA are "bad" per say, but their is no shortage of fanatics amongst the organization.

-ACLU: The American Criminals Liberty Union........ Now, this organization has supported child molestors ex: NAMBLA (North American Man Boy Love Association), convicted killers ex: ("Tookie" Williams), and generally everyone against American traditionalism. Once again, they are portrayed as "looking out for the little guy", but in reality, support criminals and anybody looking to "stick it to" conservative America. The FBI is right on this one, as I for one do not trust the ACLU as far as I could throw them.

-Again, I am not dismissing the seriousness of these allegations, but I am not going to look too deeply into them either. Certain interest groups have been looking for grounds to impeach the President  or attack his administration since the beginning of his second term. The WMD investigation did not work...... The Hurricane Katrina scandal did not work........ The CIA leak did not work......etc... This is only the next thing in line.

-Now, if I felt this was a realistic concern, I would have a different take on the matter. It is not. As I expected, the media tries desperately to create the illusion that THE GOVERNMENT IS SPYING ON YOU!!!!! Not true. If the FBI conducted surveillance on organizations like PETA and the ACLU, I am certain that the surveillance was justified. The United States is not a country that will magically enter a stage of secret police and full government control....will NOT happen.

On the personal campaign.......

-If I felt this was a real concern, I would love to organize a letter with you. But, as you can see, I would like to wait and see what "comes out in the wash" in this thing. It is not about politics or ideology, but common sense. This will not even reach the magnitude of the nonsense created by the "Red Scare,"not even close. Now, I am not trying to discredit any of your comments(or anybody else), but I think this is just the next event in the long series of personal hatred towards President Bush. 

-My real concern.......

-My real concern is terrorism and terrorist sympathy and support. If anything, I want to find out who leaked the story....... Maybe they are the ones that need to answer some questions.

-Thanks for the reply, and I am sorry we can not see eye to eye on the matter. Events are open to personal interpretation, and we have perceived them very differently. I mean no offence to anyone on the board, but rather offer an alternate opinion. Now when the facts come forth, their may be something to worry about.....But then again, their may not. If more comes out of this than I predict, I will gladly retract my statements and reform my opinions..... Until then, I will stick with my current stance. Thanks Again, and maybe next time we can be on the same page!

Edited by BMC21113
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 19:01

ACLU against traditional America huh? I'm willing to bet your a conservative. I really don't think there is a such thing as "Traditional America" anywhere right now. Though I could be wrong, maybe you don't celebrate Christmas and many other holidays, because for atleast the first 65 years of the US's existence, Christmas was deemed to much of a British holiday. Thats traditional America...

Besides the ACLU also supports the conservatives, problem is the conservatives tend to push more of their views on people so the ACLU defend other people's beliefs. I don't believe the ACLU has gone against the constitution once, actually they support it more. I mean, I don't think the conservatives would be so pissed off at the ACLU if they were always wrong, now would they?

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Dec-2005 at 21:34
BMC21113,

You have a great argument, and if these allegations turn out to be true, then I will quickly change my opinion.

If in fact this turns out to be a story of any REAL SIGNIFICANCE, then I will retract all of my previous statements.

-Now, if I felt this was a realistic concern, I would have a different take on the matter. It is not. As I expected, the media tries desperately to create the illusion that THE GOVERNMENT IS SPYING ON YOU!!!!! Not true. If the FBI conducted surveillance on organizations like PETA and the ACLU, I am certain that the surveillance was justified. The United States is not a country that will magically enter a stage of secret police and full government control....will NOT happen.

You asked for evidence that the U.S. government is spying on Americans, promising that you will change your mind. I gave it to you, I and assumed that you will going to be true to your word.

Since there is hard evidence that the U.S. government is spying on Americans--FBI documents--you dismissed the facts because you disagree with the missions of PETA, the ACLU, and peace activists. The government having a list of people who attended a meeting doesn't seem to worry you because it seems that you also disagree with their political goals.

Then you have faith that the U.S. government will respect civil liberties, even though this whole discussion comes from the fact that the president himself has given us evidence to doubt their good intentions.

You also seem to hold a unsubstantiated faith that fascism will never take hold in the U.S. in part because the press will protect us. Yet when the press provides more evidence of the civil liberties violations that the U.S. government is committing, you dismiss these too.

You seem to consistently defend the president no matter what, attributing every piece of evidence to a elaborate plan to destroy his presidency.

All of this leads me to believe that you are still engaging in the ideological debate that I asked everyone to abstain from. If this is what you want, I am more that happy to comply, but that will be in another thread.

Edited by hugoestr
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>