Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mt. Athos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mt. Athos
    Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 22:16

I think if you really want a taste of Byzantine culture, you have to go to Mount Athos. Someday, I'll go there. Is there anyone here who has  deep knowledge about the status of Mt. Athos? Hope for generous ones for giving information.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 22:17
[QUOTE=Byzan]
 Long live Byzantium!
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 22:21
What would be a good topic about Byzantium?
Byzan do you also have roots in Byzantium? I would like to learn more about Alexius. I have read "The Alexiad of Anna Comnena" but I would like to read a good secondary historical account about him.
Basil would be interesting as well!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 07:35
Well, 50% of the world can't go to Mt. Athos as it is the last place of the world where women are not admitted.

Pesonally I won't go there. I think that the Greek republic must impose legality in such a Patriarchal mysogynic enclave.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 08:45
Originally posted by Maju

Well, 50% of the world can't go to Mt. Athos as it is the last place of the world where women are not admitted.

Pesonally I won't go there. I think that the Greek republic must impose legality in such a Patriarchal mysogynic enclave.

The Athos monasteries are in the first place a religious community, that they have become a tourist attraction is rather accidental.
Although I agree with you, that the fact they disallow the presence of women is a product of age old misogyny by the Christian Church, I would also say that one should also respect the wish of a religious community to be exclusively male or female. The Athos monasteries are not the only ones that have such a rule, they are just the most widely known example.
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 09:17
But the rule doesn't just apply to the monasteries but in fact to all the territory. So women can't even see the monasteries from outside (unless they are in a Ship, I imagine). That's what I protest about. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 10:32

The free admission of women to the community of Athos hasnt got to do with the right of equality between the two sexes. Its an ancient bond which administers not only Athos, but also many Male monasteries of Orthodox faith. On the contrary there are also a few nunneries around who forbid the entrance to men. Furthermore, Virgin Mary is considered the founder of the place - Hagion Oros is also called the "garden of Virgin Mary" - 

Quoting from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mt._Athos

An ancient story claims the Blessed Virgin Mary was sailing accompanied by St John the Evangelist on her way from Joppa to Cyprus to visit Lazarus. When the ship was blown off course to then pagan Athos it was forced to drop anchor near the port of Klement, close to the present monastery of Iviron. The Virgin walked ashore and, overwhelmed by the wonderful and wild natural beauty of the mountain, she blessed it and asked her Son for it to be her garden. A voice was heard; "let this place be your inheritance and your garden, a paradise and a haven of salvation for those seeking to be saved". Since that moment the mountain was consecrated as the garden of the Mother of God and was out of bounds to all other women.

The place soon gathered many who wanted to adopt monastic life. What the text of Wikipedia doesnt mention is that firstly, natives called the place "Hagion Oros" (Holy Mountain)  until emperor Constantine IX Monomachos made the name official. Later Alexios A' Komnenos in order to secure the necessary peacefulness which constitutes essential requirement monastic asceticism forbiden the entry of all females.

Note that Basilios A' had commanded at one time, to reside in Mt Athos only ascetics and dissalowed the entrance of everyone else including local shepherds.

Now about the issue whether women should be allowed to visit Mt Athos or not, i remember this issue came to light mostly from one Dutch member of EU parliament some years ago. I only have to say Mt Athos is the residence of some thousands monks. Wrong or not, they have chosen to live there isolated from the rest, plus the area is their property and as every citizen, they have the right of chosing whom they will accept to their home and whom they wont. I am indifferent to the issue since as an outsider i just respect their wish.

Bear in mind now that Mt Athos special status has been quaranteed with the treaty of integration of Greece in EU and is also ensure by the Hellenic constitution. In addition Mth Athos is not part of the EU VAT area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_member_state_territorie s_and_their_relations_with_the_EU#Greece

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2005 at 11:21
Beautiful place! A couple of photos:

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2005 at 15:03
Mt Athos is outside the power of the Hellenic State,it's autonomous.The rules about women have to do with religion ,and the state simply cannot intervene in religious matters.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2005 at 15:12

According to the Hellenic law it's a monasterial state whose integrity is accomplished by the  Constitution of the holy monasteries of Mt Athos,of the Hellenic state and of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople.It has increased typical authority,meaning it cannot be abolished or changed by the Hellenic state.

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2005 at 19:13
Originally posted by Mila

Beautiful place! A couple of photos:

wow beatiful!! one of the places I missed when I went to Greece.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2005 at 19:24
Let's leave the monks with their seclusion, is wanting to be left alone and not be tempted too much to ask? In the modern day and age, with your missus hanging off you over every issue and proving to be a constant source of stress, Mount Athos might just be the antidote for alot of men's troubles . It is a part of the culture and heritage of the Greek world, the seclusion and abstinence of Athos's monks are a source of its uniqueness and rich tradition.
 Post Reply Post Reply