Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 46>
Author
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 04-Aug-2005 at 02:51
For the second time Iliad, by Homeros...
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2005 at 17:51
Hey I discovered a thread that I never noticed before! Kneel before Zod!

*ahem* sorry

As of the moment, I am juggling quite a few books. I am currently reading The Histories by Herodotus, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. I am also finishing The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by the notoiously arrogant Edward Gibbon.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 15:55
I just picked this up at Borders so after I am done with the TESOL program in Montana I will read this. It is by Robert Spencer the author of jihadwatch.

Cent View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Aug-2005 at 16:02
I just finished reading E=mc2. A really good book which describes the history behind E, m, c, and 2 and how it all works, in a very good way. 
They don't speak enough about the Kurds, because we have never taken hostages, never hijacked a plane. But I am proud of this.
Abdul Rahman Qassemlou
Stewart View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Aug-2005 at 05:53
I'm reading Perdido Street Station, a recommendation from friends, and it's terribly dull and stupid. I am, however, over 700 pages into it and may as well read the remaining 150 although I don't care a jot about anything that is happening in it.
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 11:40
I'm reading the Savage Tales of Solomon Kane by Robert E. Howard. Good stuff!
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 12:29
Originally posted by Degredado

Excellent! I take it you have read the Bran Mak Morn and Conan stories by Howard as well? If not, you should, they're both great and newly re-published.
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Aug-2005 at 13:07
Originally posted by Degredado

I read that and it is great!!!
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Aug-2005 at 15:19

Originally posted by Reginmund

Excellent! I take it you have read the Bran Mak Morn and Conan stories by Howard as well?

I haven't read Bran Mak Morn, but I have two books with all of the Conan stories, even the unfinished ones (published by Gollancz Fantasy Masterworks). I heard that Bran wasn't so different from Conan. Is that true?

I read that and it is great!!!

I agree! What do you think about this excerpt:

Suddenly, the slim form went limp. The man eased her to the earth, and touched her brow lightly.

"Dead!" he muttered.

Slowly he rose, mechanically wiping his hands upon his cloak. A dark scowl had settled on his somber brow. Yet he made no wild, reckless vow, swore no oath by saints or devils.

"Men shall die for this," he said coldly

p.s. my edition has the added attraction of being illustrated by Gary Gianni

p.s.s. Kane is a man stronger than I, of this I am certain. If a woman like Negara had made me an offer like that, I would not have refused! 

Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
ITAPEVI View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote ITAPEVI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 10:27

Stalin's Folly: The Tragic First Ten Days of World War Two on the Eastern Front

An excellent source for the first few weeks of the War on the Eastern Front. A few minor mistakes here and there (like saying 35,000 officers were killed in the purges, when in fact 35,000 were arrested) but overall it is an invaluable addition to the literature on the time period and events it describes. At times hour by hour accounts of what was going on, excellent descriptions about the problems units had in terms of communications with their superiors and suborindates as well as the devastation suffered by front line units and the useless counter-attacks and conflicting orders being sent out. Well worth the read.

MORUMBI
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 10:48

'Sowers of the Thunder, Robert E. Howard has been a classic also. Even though most of his heroes portray anti Turkish charcaters, this book is still fun reading.

Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 12:33
Degredado, Bran Mak Morn is a little different from Conan. While Conan is almost pure fantasy, the Bran Mak Morn stories are psuedo-historical. They're about the ancient race of the Picts, and their last king, Bran. The stories are much more somber and melancholic in tone than those of Conan, as it deals with the degeneration and eventual extinction of Bran and his people.

And Seko, how is Howard anti-Turkish? The cultures of Hyrcania and Turan are clearly inspired from ancient Turkish history, and Turan are among the greatest civilizations in Howard's Hyborian world. A world which the Turanians conquer nearly half of after Conan's time, before being driven back into the steppes by the great migrations.

Edited by Reginmund
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2005 at 15:17
I am reading "Poland" by James Michener. It's a good book that has tons of history about Poland from the Middle Ages to the 1980s. 

ITAPEVI View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote ITAPEVI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 19:29
Originally posted by Emperor Barbarossa

I am reading "Poland" by James Michener. It's a good book that has tons of history about Poland from the Middle Ages to the 1980s. 
It is not written by a historian and is not meant to be taken seriously as historical accurate account. It is written by a popular travel fiction writer. Remember this throughout the book. Take Micheners sources into account and the era of the ruling communists at the time he wrote this. He wanted to make the Polish people (under communist occupation and abroad) fell good.

Another reviewer from WA, USA noticed Michener's Stunningly Historical Inaccuracy at the Polish Conquest of Ukraine in the 1920's. The whole book by Michener is full of these inaccuracies, but after all, do not forget this is fiction, not accuracy.

Michener only echoed the Phantastic Fiction that was spoonfed to him by his hosts.

For some actual Polish History read "A Concise History of Poland" by Jerzy Lukowski and Hubert Zawadzik.

MORUMBI
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 20:16

Reginmund, even though Howard has very good knowledge of Turan, most of his protagonists tend to be westerners.

'Sowers of the Thunder' includes the mini books: The Lion of Tiberias, Lord of Samarcand and the Shadow of the Vulture. 

Heroes: John Norwald, Red Cahal, Donald MacDeesa, and Gottfried von Kalmbach

Antagonists: Zenghi. Baibars, Bayazid, Suleyman

The names say it all.

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2005 at 21:20
It does have accounts of the Battle of Tannenburg/Grunwald, Vienna in 1683, and the Swedish invasion in the 17th Century. Yes, there is much fiction invovled, like the first chapter and many of the nobles stories are crap. There is an account of Kosciuszko helping the rebellion of 1794. Sure, its definitely not the best historical book, but I got it from my parents, pretty good for a free book.

ITAPEVI View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote ITAPEVI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 08:05

As of the moment, I am juggling quite a few books. I am currently reading The Histories by Herodotus, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, and A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. I am also finishing The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire by the notoiously arrogant Edward Gibbon.
[/QUOTE]

I am soo tired of reading fantasies where you can predict the ending! Martin has finaly given us a series were you can chose your own favorite character, besides the good, main charecter, since there really isnt a good or evil. I really like how you get to chose who should win, and i love how the 'good guy' CAN DIE!! the books might seem long, but once your done with them, you wonder were it all went.
MORUMBI
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 08:22
Crusades Through Arab Eyes by Amin Maalouf is a nice and informative book...
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
ITAPEVI View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote ITAPEVI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 16:11

Originally posted by kotumeyil

Crusades Through Arab Eyes by Amin Maalouf is a nice and informative book...

I have always been interested by mediaval times and the cruisades, and always made a point of getting books giving both sides of the story, whatever the (hi)story. This book masterly expresses the 'other side' of the story, the side of the local populations as recorded by actual witnesses of the cruisades. It is as well documented as it is enjoyable, for it relates events everyone is somewhat familiar with. For history readers, it may well be the book compelling you to always learn the 'other side' of history!
MORUMBI
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2005 at 18:49
Amin Maalouf is a very suitable author for such a book, because he was born as a Catholic Arab in Lebanon...
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 46>