Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444546
Author
jlaughs View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jlaughs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 04-Sep-2018 at 04:14
Hi, all! I can't believe the last post on this thread was over four years ago. A lot of interesting titles mentioned here, though. I am looking forward to sifting through this thread more carefully to identify potential reads.

I also hope it is alright to make a belated post on this thread. It is always nice to hear what one is reading and why. I hope this thread is active again :D

Anyhow, I am currently reading non-fiction for personal purposes and coursework (which, unfortunately, is tedious and mandatory).

Non-fiction: I am currently reading John Keane's Global Civil Society, which is a very interesting account of associational power and alternatives to the nation-state paradigm. It mainly focuses on the possibility of a border-less global, non-violent civil society. Keane's arguments are very convincing and well-presented. Interestingly, he categorizes social units such as sports clubs, theatre groups, and other similar units as constituents of global civil society. Very interesting.
On the other hand, I am also brushing up on college-level Chemistry for my Phd proposal. The readings are fairly straightforward, but excessive, in my opinion. I don't plan to read the entire list. I'd like to skim the material carefully to save some time. It's quite tedious to read title after title of natural science. Phew!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 444546