Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 46>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 10-Oct-2005 at 22:50
Originally posted by vulkan02

This is gonna make all my dreams come true!

I actually have read this book several times. It is essentially an early project management book written by an amateur. This is the grand-daddy of modern popular
self-help success books.

The basic points are valid. People should have definite goals, make concrete plans, and work towards them. The other chapters give advise on how to stay focused and motivated.

But the theories that he gives to explain things... those are a blast

It is also a very interesting book in terms of popular intellectual and social history. This book, which is a condensation of a larger collection, was published during the depression. Moreover, people who live in horrible places in the world are very attracted to it.

Check it out from the library and enjoy a quirky book
JeremyScott View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote JeremyScott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 03:39

We Were Soldiers Once And Young. Probably one of my favorite books of all time.

God Bless Texas
Remember The Alamo
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 04:01
That is indeed an excellent book.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Oct-2005 at 21:55
Originally posted by hugoestr

Originally posted by vulkan02

This is gonna make all my dreams come true!

I actually have read this book several times. It is essentially an early project management book written by an amateur. This is the grand-daddy of modern popular
self-help success books.

The basic points are valid. People should have definite goals, make concrete plans, and work towards them. The other chapters give advise on how to stay focused and motivated.

But the theories that he gives to explain things... those are a blast

It is also a very interesting book in terms of popular intellectual and social history. This book, which is a condensation of a larger collection, was published during the depression. Moreover, people who live in horrible places in the world are very attracted to it.

Check it out from the library and enjoy a quirky book

Yes its a very good book but  after the 4-5 chapters which concentrate mainly on money it gets more interesting. I read it once so far because I got it not too long ago however this is a book which I will read many times over.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 20:46
Roman Warfare and Stalingrad(Antony Beevor)
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Oct-2005 at 21:58

I just started reading the absolut emsot perfect book for me.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2005 at 00:42
nice book now that i know ill probably get it

The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Janissary View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Janissary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 21:44
Tobodai, where Can I get this book, please
cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2005 at 21:52
Adrift: by Steven Callahan

Small but good read on a man stuck on a little raft for 76 days in the middle of the ocean.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 11:06

1453 : The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West: Prices

Just got done reading this book. Most of the resources came from western eyewitnesses or second hand story telling. A few Ottoman logs were included as well. Fun reading. I would give it a rating of 8 on the authentic scale (whatever that means!). The author could have taken liberties with his own bias but it made for very captivating reading. 

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Oct-2005 at 11:47

"The fourth crusade : And the sack of Constantinople" by Jonathan Phillips.

A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 12:33
Just finnished the Post Master, and have just started the Hogfather, both by Pratchett.
I'm a bit miffed i didn;t discover him earlier.
Arrrgh!!"
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 15:28
Terry Pratchett gets better and better with each book he writes. He's hilarious! I read "Going Postal" (I think that is the same as your Post Master). That "Moist" is quite the character, isn't he? You are going to enjoy Hogfather as well.   

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 02:05
Going postal is the one (my bad there). And i started Small Gods, not hogfather, but i have it next to the bed ready.
Arrrgh!!"
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 14:24

"The Illyrians" By John Wilkes.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 14:30
Cyrw:

If you like "Small Gods", then I highly recommend that you next read "Good Omens" - it's by Pratchett and Neil Gaimen (who wrote American Gods - another great book, although a little darker and gritty)and it's a comedy about the end of the world! Other great books by Pratchett which I have read and can recommend to you are "Feet of Clay" and "Lords and Ladies". I usually have one of his books next to my bed! I so much enjoy his writing and find him so entertaining!

"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2005 at 07:21
I've got Feet of Clat on by bedside table (along with a few others), its got Vimes in it from what i gather, my favourite Pratchett character. I'll look into Good Omens. I've got Men at Arms and the Hogfather to read as well.
Alot of bookshops here are doing 3 for the price of 2 on Pratchett books, and i'm keen to take advantage of that, as they are books i'd like to own, and trying to read them all in order by loaning them from the library is easier said than done.
Arrrgh!!"
Herodotus View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Herodotus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2005 at 19:16

Currently reading Point Counter Point by Aldous Huxley

Originally posted by kotumeyil

...sometimes V. Hugo tells about something needlessly long. For example: Jean Valjean escapes with Maris on his back through a sewer system. While telling this, Hugo talks about the history of the sewer system and criticise that we don't use human sh*t as a fertilizer, because its the best fertilizer on the world! This takes about 10-15 pages!!! 

Strange that you should mention this. Human fetilizer must have been a fairly pressing question in the past, as their are references in Point Counter Point. Huxley creates excellent and sublimly detailed characters, who really are far more important than any plot, which only happens to form as a result of their actions, rather than as a guide. Lord Edward, one such individual, is having a discussion with the leader of the British Freemen, a para-military society whose goals are essentially fascist, with the intention of balancing the classes and preventing the great cataclysm. The politician is attempting to convince Lord Edward of the neccessity, the need and the responsibility to care for politics. Lord Edward, a devoted scientist, has no such interest, and finally unleases a furious tirade against the modern society politics in trying to build. His cheif complaint is that far too much phosperous is being squandered, mostly in the dumping of human waste into the sea. When infertility of the farmlands eventually results, he says, then the real cataclysm, the natural and unstoppable one, will arrive.

These comments from Huxley and probably less out of place than those of Hugo, writing as it were a novel ruled by a grand plot. Nonetheless, I think it's doubtful that Hugo included the section in haste or from the moments passion. I personally like little interuptions like that; I think they give good insight into the real world in which the author wrote; which, in the case of the romantics, was supremely important.

Edited by Herodotus
"Dieu est un comdien jouant une assistance trop effraye de rire."
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Francois Marie Arouet, Voltaire

Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2005 at 19:35
The sea and the sword: The Baltic, 1630-1945 by Oliver Warner.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 16:21
simons report - a nordic odysee by konrad hansen
a biographie of Simon Gronewich  of Lubeck  in the 14th century

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 46>