Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What are you reading?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 46>
Author
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are you reading?
    Posted: 18-Aug-2004 at 05:53

The Abdulhamid Truth by Orhon Kologlu

Tolstoy's War and Peace

Introduction to Political Science by Munci Kapani (over 15.edition)

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

cattus View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote cattus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 00:26

TJk, where is Norman Davies from?

War and Peace is one tough nut to crack.

Master of Puppets View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 04:55

Impressive lists! At the moment I'm reading a translation of the Odyssee (finally I got to reading the real thing and not some modern version), which is a little bit old-fashioned and crappy, but whatever... I'll check out a better translation later on and read it all in Greek one day! I find it really great to read the real story and am trying to figure out if the events on Odysseus' trips can be seen as metaphores of a journey in his mind or something, but I find that kinda difficult (I only really started reading like this during the last few weeks thanks to a friend of mine who sorta pushed me to it with his MSN poetry sessions, before that my reading of classics was a bit more superficial).
I'm also reading Kafka's Der Prozess in German for the second time (I read it at school once), this time trying to truly comprehend it (which is probably just a difficult as for the Odyssee). I'm sorry to tell you I haven't even finished the first chapter yet

Fortunately our summer vacation in Scotland has given me a lot of time to (re)read books, so I re-read the Gilgamesh-epic (great, although some tablets are fragmentary which is rather annoying in my opinion) and re-read De Avonden [The Evenings] by Gerard Reve. It describes the last ten days of the year 1946 seen through the eyes of an adolescent who can't find any meaning in the pathetic life he and his relatives/friend are living. It is a great book and is generally considered as one of the peaks of post-war literature in the Netherlands. Highly recommended, if you find a translation, pick it up!
When I was in Inverness I bought The Oxford History of Byzantium, my first decent introduction into Byzantium, although I had learnt bits and pieces from reading parts of the Time Life World History Series (indeed great books, Cywr!).

By the way, like many others here I really enjoyed The Name of the Rose. Eco gives such a great impression of the Middle Ages and combines it with a fascinating detective story: great book. I've also seen the movie, but that one was a bit weaker because it obviously couldn't contain the richness the book contains.

EDIT:
I haven't read the Da Vinci Code either
Also, I must confess that the presence of the computer and upcoming study business are chipping a lot of time away that should have been spent on books

Edited by Master of Puppets
Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 14:00

I agree impressive lists. Also about the name of the Rose . I finished The Devils Crown and am cought between finishing the others i've started or going on with the pile I want to start  but I think 1066 the year of conquest might win.

Edit:Cyrus or Invictus could you move this thread to the Lit forum if you have time? 

Edited by Dawn
Master of Puppets View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Master of Puppets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 09:59
Yes, move it please
Wherever I turn, there is Death.
The Epic of Gilgamesh; Tablet XI, line 245
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 13:29
Originally posted by Jr_Capablanca

Hello!

Hi Mast! I`ve read Rde Orm as well, it`s quite entertaining ("...nr han kommit till besjungandet av mjlk och citronvatten..." ).

Rde Orm is one of the most enjoying books I've read. Nobody will understand what we are talking about though, since the English title is The Long Ships. As a tidbit, the German title is Die Abenteuer des Rde Orm - somehow the translator missed that "Rde" is just a nick meaning "-the Red".

Currently I'm reading a book on statistics, and it isn't fun at all.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 14:51

Rde Orm is one of the most enjoying books I've read. Nobody will understand what we are talking about though, since the English title is The Long Ships. As a tidbit, the German title is Die Abenteuer des Rde Orm - somehow the translator missed that "Rde" is just a nick meaning "-the Red".

I have also enjoyed Red Orm and i think i have read it for 3 or 4 times. Fortunatelly the translation into polish is excact and it is "Rudy Orm" what means the same as "Rde Orm". I wonder on how many languages it was translated.

Anyone knows if that author wrote more book about vikings?

Edited by Mosquito
guarddiva87 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote guarddiva87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 15:36
At the moment, I'm reading The Bible in an effort to strenghten my faith. Also I'm reading my driver's ed book so that I can get my lisence. As far as fiction goes, I just finished reading Brave New World. That's a great book, one of my favorites. And, I've never read the Da Vinci code.
Colorguard..to those who understand no explanation needed..To those who don't no explanation possible

Never frown...even when your sad, you never know when someone will fall in love with your smile
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Aug-2004 at 19:55
Originally posted by Dawn

Just finished a Canadian novel Jack Absulute by CC Humpries good book and about to start Butlerian Jihad (was it worth reading in your opinion Tamujin or just not bad ?)

well, i must say I always liked the idea of artificial intelligences taking over the Human world, and I liked the concept of the Butlerian Jihad as an outline of the original Dune. I always wanted to read a book about it, so I had high expectaitions of it and I must say I was overall very pleased, though they implemented one or two side-story too much and they messed up the end like in the previous books, but ptobably this is related to the fact that they wrote the book as an triology... the main plot humans vs. bots is excellent, it's no good vs evil, humans fight for both sides, both sides make use of Human slaves etc... the side-plot about Selim wormrider s also excellent, though it's only got a few chapters, I'm looking forward to read the machine crusade...

Originally posted by Master of Puppets

I'm also reading Kafka's Der Prozess in German for the second time (I read it at school once), this time trying to truly comprehend it (which is probably just a difficult as for the Odyssee). I'm sorry to tell you I haven't even finished the first chapter yet

Wow, that's most impressive! reading Kafka already makes you a superbrain, but then in a foreign language and even understand his weird stuff that's awesome!

BTW, War and peace is also one of the best books ever...I however never came around reading the brothers kamarasow or silent flows the Don...and I didn't finished reading Taras Bulba...

Edited by Temujin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 15:33
Originally posted by guarddiva87

At the moment, I'm reading The Bible [...] As far as fiction goes,

I thought the Bible was fiction (excuse me for the easy joke, don't feel offended)

I discovered that the city in which I'm going to study (Groningen) has a very good bookshop.
I bought Pro Vaz de Caminha's account on the discovery of Brazil (finished it already) and the History of Mexico. I haven't finished that yet, although during my train journey back I've read the part between 1517 and 1914 (400 years, now that's what I call a long train journey)
Stewart View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 16:19

I'm reading Sun Tzu's Art of War in the mornings.

I'm reading Madame Blavatsky's Isis Unveiled in the afternoons.

TJK View Drop Down
Consul
Consul
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TJK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 16:51
TJk, where is Norman Davies from?

Norman Davies (born June 8, 1939) is a British historian and writer, famous for his studies and publications on Europe, UK and Poland.

He was born in Bolton, England. He studied in Grenoble, Oxford, Perugia, Sussex and Cracow (on Jagiellonian University). In 1973 he was honoured with a PhD title from the Jagiellonian University.

Norman Davies has held lectures in many countries (USA, Canada, Australia, Japan, China and in most European countries). From 1971 to 1996 he worked at the London University, School of Slavonic and Eastern European Studies, where in 1985 he became a Professor. He is currently Supernumerary Fellow at Wolfson College, Oxford.

He works with the BBC as well as other British and American magazines and newspapers like The Times, New York Review of Books and The Independent.

Norman Davies is a member of the Academia Scientiarum et Artium Europea in Salzburg and of the Polish Academy of Learning (PAU) in Cracow. He is a Fellow of the British Academy and the Royal Historical Society. He has received honorary PhD titles from the University of Maria Curie-Sklodowska in Lublin and the University of Gdańsk. He is an honorary citizen of Lublin and Cracow.

List of publications

DSMyers1 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Quote DSMyers1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Aug-2004 at 18:16

I am reading...

message boards

Actually engineering textbooks, mostly.

Historically?

Not much at the moment.  Research in ancient history is on hold. (when is that other atlas coming in?.....)

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 05:32

Eric Hobsbawm - The Age of Revolution.

Earlier this month I've read;

Noam Chomsky - Hegemony or Survival

George Monbiot - Age of Consent

Joseph Stiglitz - Globalisation and its Discontents

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Aug-2004 at 21:48
wow I am SO suprised by that reading list! What a shocker!!!!!!!!!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Aug-2004 at 11:39
Originally posted by Temujin

well, i must say I always liked the idea of artificial intelligences taking over the Human world, and I liked the concept of the Butlerian Jihad as an outline of the original Dune. I always wanted to read a book about it, so I had high expectaitions of it and I must say I was overall very pleased, though they implemented one or two side-story too much and they messed up the end like in the previous books, but ptobably this is related to the fact that they wrote the book as an triology... the main plot humans vs. bots is excellent, it's no good vs evil, humans fight for both sides, both sides make use of Human slaves etc... the side-plot about Selim wormrider s also excellent, though it's only got a few chapters, I'm looking forward to read the machine crusade...

[/QUOTE

Thanks for your imput. I'm now about half way through it,and finding it quite good just as your recommandation said.

Thanks for your imput. I'm now about half way through it,and finding it quite good just as your recommandation said.

Mangudai View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Mangudai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Aug-2004 at 14:35

Originally posted by Dawn

Every history buff reads something. So tell us what you are reading now.

I'm reading two books about the mongols - Jeremiah Curtins "The Mongols - a history" and David Morgan's "The mongols". I'm also reading a fantasy novel

Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 19:11
Whats the fantasy novel? Anyone else here read fantasy?  
guarddiva87 View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote guarddiva87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 19:39

Now I'm reading East of Eden by John Steinbeck. Its very good. I would recommend it to anybody.

Colorguard..to those who understand no explanation needed..To those who don't no explanation possible

Never frown...even when your sad, you never know when someone will fall in love with your smile
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Aug-2004 at 19:45

Whats the fantasy novel? Anyone else here read fantasy?  

I nearly read just fantasy, currently I'm reading (skimming actually) the Book of Lost Tales, you know one of those collections of Tolkiens writings.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 46>