Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Does the world really need the religions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: Does the world really need the religions?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
41 [57.75%]
30 [42.25%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
LEGATVS LEGIONIS View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LEGATVS LEGIONIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does the world really need the religions?
    Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 01:55
Honestly i'm not religious at all and if i believe in something, i believe in the Science; all the religions were born on a ancient Earth where people, mostly, couldn't go to school, couldn't learn anything and could be influenced by strange and illogical beliefs. I think that if someone, somewhere at the moment, starts saying that he's the God's son, everyone would think he's insane.

Hosti non solum dandam esse viam ad fugiendum, sed etiam muniendam!
(Publius Cornelius Scipio 'Africanus')

Si vis pacem para bellum!
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 02:28

i say Yes.

religion doesnt mostly contraditct with science.  many religions do encourage science too.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 03:09

I cannot speak precisely about other religions, but I can say that Im deeply satisfied with my religion and I have not encountered anything in its scripts that restrict my understanding of science or discourage me from believing in science (if it wasn't the opposite where it it carries scientific discussions and narrations that matches the latest proven theories)

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 04:59
Originally posted by ok ge

I cannot speak precisely about other religions, but I can say that Im deeply satisfied with my religion and I have not encountered anything in its scripts that restrict my understanding of science or discourage me from believing in science (if it wasn't the opposite where it it carries scientific discussions and narrations that matches the latest proven theories)

same here...

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 05:20
moved to intellectual discussion
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 05:34

The problem with religion is not the religion in itself, it is men who - sometimes - use them in a wrong way. The root of all religions are based on basic good morals. When you look back on religions and the historical contexts they were created in, we notice a strong relationship between the social norms and the moral rules dictaded by the word of god :

- the ten comandements can be regarded as basic rules for life in society, they are given more importance when God tells them rather then another human being.

- the arabic peninsula was a mess before Islam came into force and installed rules and moral order.

As long as religion stays a personal thing (which i believe it is most of the time) and not used as a political instrument or goes against peoples free-will.

Anyway, to answer your question "does the world need religions?" - i would say that it doesn't but religions are a part of our heritage and have troughout history shaped the world in many ways. 

"A myth is a religion in which no one any longer believes. "

James Feibleman

Cheers.

Edited by sedamoun
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 07:39
No.

Mysticism and spirituality may be a need for some but organized religions are just dividing people and teaching them to believe in things that for the most part are false.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 08:32
no. Especially not organized religion, and somehow religion tends to get organized quickly.
I have no problem with individual religious people though, as long as they don't try to force it on other people.

Edited by Mixcoatl
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 08:34
Yes.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 08:50
Question to everybody: do you take into consideration the difference between religion and faith (la religion y la fe - para los hispanohablantes)?
arsenka
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 09:08
I don't know what you mean: you have to be religious to have faith or have faith in order to be religious. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
AlbinoAlien View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote AlbinoAlien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 09:25
ID definatly say that orginised religon is where the corruption begins. if we were to keep religion into more small, community like orginizations, then there would be little corruption within.
people are the emotions of other people

(im not albino..or pale!)

.....or an alien..
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 09:45

arsenka,

Faith (webster) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2) : complete trust.

One can't go without the other.

Cheers.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 10:00

Originally posted by AlbinoAlien

ID definatly say that orginised religon is where the corruption begins. if we were to keep religion into more small, community like orginizations, then there would be little corruption within.

small community-like religious organizations tend to be very dogmatic, inflexible and retrograde. Besides, even there a pecking order would form, and corruption will eventually appear.

I say that the world doesn't need any organized religions, although philosophy, mysticism and sprituality can play an important role in most people's lives.

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 10:53

Assumption for the question of the topic: "the world"="mankind" and "religion"<>"faith"

1. Mankind consists of different individuals.
  2. There are individuals who are religious (mark them as R)
  3. There are individuals who are not religious (mark them as ~R)
  4. Mankind is made of R and ~R
  5. All individuals, during their life, come into contact with at least a religion.
  6. Not all individuals that came into contact with religion became religious.
  7. Sometimes R and ~R can live together.
  8. Sometimes R and ~R cannot live together.
  9. If R and ~R couldn't live together the result will be either R or ~R.
  10. Religion is not a single attribute, there are different religions.
  11. All R are in fact R1+R2+...Rn (n is the number of existing religions)
  12. ~R are all of the same kind, that is ~R=~R1 & ~R2 &...&~Rn
  13. Sometimes different R can live together.
  14. Sometimes different R cannot live together.
  15. If different R couldn't live together the result will be Rx, the winning religious side.
  16. If Rx couldn't live with ~R the result will be either Rx or ~R
  17. A ~R is likely to accept that he might be wrong, meaning that he might have been wrong regarding religion.
  18. Some ~R became R.
  19. A Rx would never say being wrong, meaning that his religion (x) is the right one.
  20. Some Rx turned to Ry.
  21. A former Rx turned to Ry would say that his current religion (y) is the right one.
  22. Processes are not simple, there have been situations of Rx->~R ->Ry or ~R->Rx->Ry, etc.

Conclusions:

1. If mankind needs religion it needs only one religion (x).
  2. If religion x is a necessity of mankind then ~R and R that are ~Rx are not neccesary for the mankind.
  3. Mankind is formed of ~R + Rx + R that are~Rx.
  4. Individuals are inconsistent.
  5. Mankind exists.

Finally:

• religion is not a necessity for mankind.
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 11:04

Originally posted by Cezar

religion is not a necessity for mankind.

Well, that's not what History has proven us.

An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 11:07
Originally posted by Infidel

I'm not religious. Does that mean I'm not a part of mankind?

arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 12:04

Sorry! But it seems to me incorrect  to mix these terms - "religion" and "faith". Pues, faith is the inner state of human being while religion is comparatively logical system of beliefs that converts faith into some "digestable" form. Faith is almost the same in the base of all religions: that is - Love to the other human beings (or all living creatures - that point varies), self-perfection (with Divine help or by person's own humble forces), self-comprehension (the same),reconcilliation (it doesn't mean personal weakness but feeling of belonging to some big and notorious community - be it any religious brotherhood,country, humankind, Space etc. - that doesn't matter at all). In my humble opinion faith gives sence to one's life(Only In his own eyes - that's why faith is a personal matter). On the other hand religion gives some strict form to  faith; it has its rules (faith doesn't have it) that in some cases can distort the very matter of faith and contradict its own sence. Please, do not misunderstand me: I don't mean any particular religion. Almost all of them have had some periods in their history that are not to be proud of.

Thus I decidedly say "YES" for faith but I wouldn't oblige everybody to subdue any religious system.  

arsenka
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 13:12
I wouldn't talk in terms of faith but rather of spirituality. I think that faith is a dead end and has more to do with the dogmatic approach of religion than whith true search of spirituality and philosophy.

Also faith is pretty childish: kids have faith in Santa Claus... you know. Faith in a god is just an evolution of that juvenile belief in magic, through the rigid prism of some specific religion/doctrine.

What the world needs is more mature spirituality: a trascendence not based in ancient texts or modern doctrines but in reality. I think that in the social plane the concept of Humankind provides for such a trascendence, while in the cosmic plane only the Pantheos can provide for a successful explanation and a holistic integration beyond life and death.

Btw, Arsenka are you Basque, "pues"?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 13:16
Originally posted by Infidel

That was in ancient times, when rulers needed religious structures to keep cohesion of their domains and make propaganda in the name of god. Nowadays TV (and school) does it all... in some countries it's full of religious blah-blah, like the USA, while in others there's almost no presence of religion in it and not for that is a less effective consensualist tool of mass brainwashing.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>