Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Beggary

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beggary
    Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 09:39

Good day to everybody! I've visited AE several times keeping an eye on your discussions and I should confess I'm really impressed by professionalism and analytical skills of AE's members. That's gorgeous that there is such forum! Thanks!

Could you help me a little bit with one question? That's about beggary. What was it's place  in social structure  in different epoches and countries? What social categories supplied the "material" (if I can call it so) for beggary? And at last: how were the beggars treated - I mean the attitude of society towards them.

Thanks in advance! Bye!

arsenka
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Dec-2005 at 10:21
In "The Upper Middle Ages", that deals mostly with Western Europe, particularly with Frankish states, Jan Dhont mentions:

CLERGY IN THE CAROLINGIAN STATE

(...)

d) Monks

(...) Even men that had left the world behind due to an internal pulse, to an spiritual quest, didn't for that reason bury themselves in life within the walls of a monastery. Many of these restless believers were true vagabonds of God and couldn't bear the closed life of an abbey. They used then any pretext to part away. If there was no pretext the runaway happened anyhow. Sometimes astonishes the the space that the problem of peregrin monks occupies in the Imperial decrees.

All this obstructed the expansion of monacal Benedictine rule. (...)

In [time sof Charlemagne] there were everywhere religious people that without bishop or abbot to control them moved from one place to another continuously. (...)

GROUPS WITHOUT A FIXED HOME:

There was (...) a great number of nomadic clerics that joined other people in their wanderings: fugitive sefs and slaves, often mentioned in the decrees. All these together made up a dangerous mass of miserable life: (...) beggars and thieves that "wander without fixed route" (...) "comitting robberies and wrongdoings, fled from one to another county". And yet have to be mentioned those that "march naked and chained, swindling honest people, with the pretext of making pennance".

(...) the decrees stabilished severe penalties for those that gave refuge to these people, ordering arrest, interrogation and devolution of the vagabonds to their places of origin.

Viking attacks, that fell on defenseless people and forced to flee, increased the danger of these uprooted ones. Imperial decress lamented of migrations of beggars. Finally, it was attempted to channel the dispersion caused by the fear to the Vikings. It was resolved, for instance, that the slaves and coloni that didn't dare to stay in their lands of origin for fear ought to return in time of sowing and harvest, and then they could return to their refuges.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
arsenka View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote arsenka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 13:10

Thanks, Maju!

And what about other periods? It would be interesting to scan the process in its dinamic. INFORMATION! I need information!

arsenka
 Post Reply Post Reply