Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most Significant Event in History from 1000 to 1500 C.E.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Poll Question: Most Important Event in History from 1000 to 1500 C.E.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [3.49%]
5 [5.81%]
10 [11.63%]
2 [2.33%]
3 [3.49%]
7 [8.14%]
22 [25.58%]
14 [16.28%]
9 [10.47%]
11 [12.79%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Significant Event in History from 1000 to 1500 C.E.
    Posted: 13-Jun-2013 at 14:31
Originally posted by SuryaVajra

Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Before Leibniz and his calculus(probably not such a good idea to talk about Newton's shame here) the term calculus was loosely used to mean any branch of mathematics. However there are what is considered to be precursors to calculus are known to go right back to at least ancient Greece.  

I'll cut to the core Alani

The so called Greek miracles you allude to ,allegedly performed by the legendary Greeks like Euclid and Archimedes do not seem to stand the test of verification.

The Greeks did not have the decimal system or the place value system .

Without these , you cannot solve serious fractions . Infact the Greek numerals was even less sophisticated than the Roman numerals. Its horribly tedious to solve even a simple 367 x 24 with the Roman numerals. How then the Greek numerals.

The Greeks, by common sense, wouldn't even  say the correct length of the year (365.256363004)

Dont believe me? Try to think of how the Greeks would represent a fraction like 0.000030009. You need the place value system for that.

Or how they solved a simple 0.0003/35 .They wouldn't even think  of such a thing Today any child can multiply the denominator and numerator by equivalent tens. All you need is the Vedic decimal system.

And its not their fault. The alphabetical numerals completely besieged their capabilities .

And you honestly believe Archimedes had a method of Exhaustion . Have you ever thought how thats possible with just alphabet like numbers ?

Calculus is much about infinite series. It cannnot be conceived without atleast the decimal system(
Madhava further invented a floating point system ,today used by computers ). The decimal system was understood and accepted in Europe only in the 17th century before which the Vatican held that the Indian numerals were demoniacal.

Conclusion.

1. Greeks simply did not have the numerals for advanced Algebra, Trigonometry and Arithmetic. 

2. No original manuscript or atleast their reliable copies or an oral tradition exists for any of the alleged Greek supermen(Pythagoras, Archimedes, Euclid etc)

3. No contemporaneous literature exists explicating or citing the work of these said personages.

4. Much of what the world believes about Greek Mathematics is a result of Eurocentric history writing that has been taking place since 1500s.

Still not convinced? I have a stronger treatment of this if you wish....

Just see what historical text you can find to substantiate your statement.
SuryaVajra, you seem to be jumping the gun somewhat here. Did I actually make out in anyway that the Greeks you talk of, or anyone else, are some sort of supermen, or miracle workers? I am at a loss as to where such conclusions may have come from.What I had been trying to convey was that what we classify as calculus is the work of Leibniz, and everything before are precursors, which is to say not considered to have developed into what we would call calculus, or even developed enough to be considered advanced to that level. However, when considering precursors the level of sophistication does not make them none precursors.
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
SuryaVajra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SuryaVajra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2013 at 14:47
I am sorry for that.....

I believe I was directing that tone at the General opinion. I did not in the least harbour views that you  appealed to undue authority , not in the least.

Nevertheless, when it is claimed that Archimedes had the precursors of Calculus, it remains to be seen how exactly he obtained it. No text of his exists, not even enough to back up his historicity.

It also remains how he manages the feat without a decimal system.

You see, the results attributed to Bharata Mathematicians do not have original manuscripts either( not so for Madhava, unlike the ancient and pre medieval ones). The Palm leaves rot pretty fact. But the difference is that there was maintained a continuous series of copies and a scrupulous oral tradition permitting not the loss of even a single word as regards most of the texts.We have texts that survive in whole . 

I expected you to field the supposedly 12 th century Archimedes Palimpsest. But you seem much too learned for that.  

Once again my friend, I did not ever fancy that you believed in supermen.

Regards.

Edited by SuryaVajra - 13-Jun-2013 at 14:50
Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2013 at 16:31
I can't decided Confused  Renaissance or Columbus. Columbus or Renaissance Big smile Renaissance is not an event. It is something conceptually but discovering is not, so my vote goes to Columbus 

Edited by Ollios - 18-Jun-2013 at 21:32
Baal Melqart View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Baal Melqart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2013 at 15:46

Columbus' discovery led to a very dramatic change in the history of the entire Americas, both North and South. The cultural chance was also very rapid since it was the first time that such a massive change and displacement of a continent's local people had ever occurred. I know that the Mayas and Aztecs didn't really go anywhere but one can hardly draw any resemblance between Modern-day Mexicans and their ancestors.

Timidi mater non flet
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jun-2013 at 14:59
Ummm, I have worked with many folks from Mexico.  There is an entire family, the Varga's, all look like they popped off a Mayan Stele.  You have to go farther than Mexico City to find others like them, but there are many.  It's the Nose.Big smile

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Auggie View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Auggie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2013 at 11:49
In terms of historical significance for the West, I'd have to rate the Renaissance as being the most important period of all. To think that from the fall of Rome in the 5th century to the rise of Petrarch and the humanists in the 14th, just about an entire millenium, Europe was for all practical purposes in a continent-wide state of barbarity, chaos and an utter disregard for art and scholarship is just totally mind-blowing. The West inherited the legacies of ancient Greece and Rome and... look what happened: barbarians of all stripes came to rape, pillage, ravage and rule. Thank God, is all I can say, for people such as Petrarch and  Boccaccio, Michelangelo and Raphael, the Medicis and yes, the much-maligned Borgias and Niccolo "Mack the Knife" Machiavelli. Without them, who knows if we ever would've put the lid on the Dark Ages...
Where it is a duty to worship the sun it is sure to be a crime to examine the laws of heat.
- Voltaire
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Jun-2013 at 16:41
are u serious Ouch The Seljuk Empire get only 2 Votes  seljuks made greatest islamic empire in thier time islamic Civilizations was at it's peak do u know how many univarsitys they build do u know what wealth this brings to middle east ??? do you know the greatest islamic scholar was live and work at seljuks universities do u know alcohol discover in that era do u know so many books about politic medicine meth physician, alchemist and chemist, philosopher ..... written in that era which is a basic knowleg of todays universities

with out seljuks we wont see this events

The Italian Renaissance
Rise of the Ottoman Empire
The Crusades

i put some wiki page so u could know better the seljuks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_Khaldun
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fakhr_al-Din_Razi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_ibn_Zakariya_al-Razi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nizam_al-Mulk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasir_al-Din_al-Tusi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avicenna
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umar_al-Khayyam
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Farabi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Biruni

seljuk era was greater than The Italian Renaissance ill give my Poll Choice to them in iran in every provence u could see so many seljuk buildings  they was great people
yomud are free people
RedCape View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote RedCape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2013 at 08:17
I voted for Columbus's Voyage but I feel the Mongolian Invasions are just as significant too.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Quote opuslola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2014 at 17:48
Yes, I have also seen the same! It is sometimes disconcerting to actually see them!

This is in response to an old post by RedClay, concerning Mayan profiles.

Ron

Edited by opuslola - 14-Jan-2014 at 17:49
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345