Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most Significant Event in History from 1000 to 1500 C.E.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Most Important Event in History from 1000 to 1500 C.E.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [3.49%]
5 [5.81%]
10 [11.63%]
2 [2.33%]
3 [3.49%]
7 [8.14%]
22 [25.58%]
14 [16.28%]
9 [10.47%]
11 [12.79%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Significant Event in History from 1000 to 1500 C.E.
    Posted: 10-Feb-2007 at 01:18
Originally posted by Zagros

Originally posted by Ikki

My vote for Mongolian conquest:Destruction of most developed state of the world, Song China, and paralization of that civilization wich was the vanguard.Destruction and paralization of the axis region of the old world, the Middle East.Destruction and severe change of the life of Eastern Europe, specially Russia.Good work mongols

Oh... Another strong contender! I think you swayed me to your choice, Ikki!

Xi: Seljuqs were already a powerhouse WELL before the fall of Byzantium. It was Ottomans who destroyed Byzantium - you should know this!

I don't coun't one city as an empire.

I mean The empire in sence of the eastern roman empire was good as gone.

Asia minor was lost. What did they have Constantinople, greece & few Balkan countries. Compared with what it used to be thats a kingdom and not an empire

Edited by xi_tujue - 10-Feb-2007 at 01:20
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Feb-2007 at 12:20
Hello everyone!

I agree with The Italian Renaissance and Voyages of Columbus, but what about raising of the Tawantinsuyu (1438)? Isn't it significant?  Wink I think that some events from Americas are worth adding to this poll.
Crusader3943 View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 08:44
I voted for the Crusades. Almost all of Christian Europe left to go to the Holy Land in order to regain the sacred places that were now under control of the Turks, who were also threatening to overtake all of Europe.
Crusader3943
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 08:46
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

Who is ready for another discussion in world history?

<span style="font-weight: bold;">What was the most Important Event in History from 1000 to 1500 C.E.?</span>

Overview of Events:

• <span style="font-weight: bold;">The Seljuk Emipre:</span> Political reorganization of SW Asia, decline of Byzantium

• <span style="font-weight: bold;">The Crusades:</span> Renewal of contact between Europe and the Middle East. Influence of the church. The decline of Byzantium.

• <span style="font-weight: bold;">The Mongol Conquest</span>: Near-Global reorganization of political power. Revival of global land trade.

• <span style="font-weight: bold;">The Hundred Years' War</span>: Reorganization of power in Europe

• <span style="font-weight: bold;">Establishment of the Ming Dynasty</span>: Reorganization of power in China and the far east.

• <span style="font-weight: bold;">Rise of the Ottoman Empire</span>: Reorganization of power in SW Asia and nearby areas.

• <span style="font-weight: bold;">Voyages of Columbus</span>: Symbolic beginning of colonization

• <span style="font-weight: bold;">The Italian Rennaissance</span>: Turning point in intellecutal and cultural history of Europe

• <span style="font-weight: bold;">Gutenberg's Printing Press</span>: allowed wide-spread distribution of literature.

• Another event not listed above.

Don't you mean A.D.?
Crusader3943
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 10:52
Originally posted by Crusader3943

I voted for the Crusades. Almost all of Christian Europe left to go to the Holy Land in order to regain the sacred places that were now under control of the Turks, who were also threatening to overtake all of Europe.

For your information, those holding Jerusalem at the time of the first crusade were North African, there was absolutely no threat for Europe from the Fatimides or the Seldjukides, the Crusaders were a few tens of thousands in a population of several millions, the economic, political and social impact of the Crusades in Europe was negligeable and absolutely inexistant for the world outside of the Middle East. If you compare it with say the black death, the Mongol invasions, the discovery of America and the rounding of the Cape or the invention of powder, the Crusades appear totally drawfed. A famous French historian said that the Crusades brought nothing to Europe but the Abricot. Which is not even true as it had been around for longer
I am a free donkey!
Knight
Knight

Quote Crusader3943 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Mar-2007 at 20:28
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Originally posted by Crusader3943

For your information, those holding Jerusalem at the time of the first crusade were North African, there was absolutely no threat for Europe from the Fatimides or the Seldjukides, the Crusaders were a few tens of thousands in a population of several millions, the economic, political and social impact of the Crusades in Europe was negligeable and absolutely inexistant for the world outside of the Middle East. If you compare it with say the black death, the Mongol invasions, the discovery of America and the rounding of the Cape or the invention of powder, the Crusades appear totally drawfed. A famous French historian said that the Crusades brought nothing to Europe but the Abricot. Which is not even true as it had been around for longer

Actually, the first Crusade was launched because the emperor of Constantinople requested aid from Europe, as the Turks had come right up to his doorstep. Oh, and I think that they were Seljuk Turks.
Crusader3943
Kaysaar View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Kaysaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Mar-2007 at 19:00
I think the Battle of Hastings deserves at least a mention, seeing as it completely changed the course of English history, causing it to be much more continentally oriented than before. 
YusakuJon3 View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote YusakuJon3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Mar-2007 at 20:03
From my POV, it is almost certainly the voyages of Columbus, without which the European culture would've remained hemmed in on one corner of the world by hostile Muslims and the vast expanse of Russia to its south and east and perilous oceans to its north and west.  Losing the opportunity to enrich itself with the opportunity provided with global navigation, the Europeans would've probably stagnated in much the same way that the Chinese did after their decision not to do the same, even if they were able to flank the Moroccan caliphs and take much of coastal Africa.
"There you go again!"

-- President Ronald W. Reagan (directed towards reporters at a White House press conference, mid-1980s)
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 11:25
Originally posted by Kaysaar

I think the Battle of Hastings deserves at least a mention, seeing as it completely changed the course of English history, causing it to be much more continentally oriented than before.

The battle of Hastings is used by many to mark the beginning of modern European civilization. I think it deserves more than a mear mention.
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 11:35
I'm not so sure about qualifying the battle of Hastings as the beginning of modern European civilization. That's a fairly Anglo-centric view. Could not Saxon England have developed into a strong mercantile state, the way Norman England did? In my opinion, picking this battle as a turning point is arbitrarily setting a date and a specific place for a process which took centuries to occur throughout the whole of Europe. Besides, the modern foundations of Europe were laid in Italy, and were also due to developments in Spain, Sicily and the Eastern Empire. England was still peripheral at this stage.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

T. Ape View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote T. Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2007 at 16:04
I am going with the Rise of the Ottoman Empire. I wrote a post in another thread where I stated the fall of Constantinople as one of the most important events in history. The reasons I gave there are pretty much the same I give here. Just make the scope a little larger.

Originally posted by T. Ape

1. The fall of Constantinople. This siege was the catalyst of two world-transforming things. The world came to a realization that warfare had changed. With the thundering crash of the ancient walls came the end of an order that had lasted 1000 years. With the roaring Turkish cannons a revolution among the armies of the West was born. No longer could they rely on steel alone, it was now the age of gunpowder.

In addition, the gates of the East had been shut. No more could traders travel up the Sea of Azov, no more would the spices of Persia, China, and India reach European lands. Those in Europe now looked west in order to reach the East.

NeuralDream View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote NeuralDream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2007 at 05:46
Quite clearly Gutenbergs Printing Press. All the rest are important for limited number of today's people and their choice is to an extent indicative of the area they live.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 02:03
Originally posted by xi_tujue

Originally posted by Zagros

Originally posted by Ikki

My vote for Mongolian conquest:Destruction of most developed state of the world, Song China, and paralization of that civilization wich was the vanguard.Destruction and paralization of the axis region of the old world, the Middle East.Destruction and severe change of the life of Eastern Europe, specially Russia.Good work mongols

Oh... Another strong contender! I think you swayed me to your choice, Ikki!

Xi: Seljuqs were already a powerhouse WELL before the fall of Byzantium. It was Ottomans who destroyed Byzantium - you should know this!

I don't coun't one city as an empire.

I mean The empire in sence of the eastern roman empire was good as gone.

Asia minor was lost. What did they have Constantinople, greece & few Balkan countries. Compared with what it used to be thats a kingdom and not an empire

Thats not true at all. During that period, Constantinople still ruled over many different ethnicities which constitutes an empire. An empire and a kingdom are two completely different things.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 22:36
Originally posted by NeuralDream

Quite clearly Gutenbergs Printing Press. All the rest are important for limited number of today's people and their choice is to an extent indicative of the area they live.

Guttenberg did not invent printing, but the Chinese LOL
T. Ape View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote T. Ape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Mar-2007 at 23:20
Ah, but it was Gutenburg's press that spread to the world. It is not about who did it first, it is about who made the largest impact on history.
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 00:41
Not saying it was the "most significant", but just one of the "mosts".

But i would just like to say that The Mongol Nation, created by  Temjin was an empire with many amazing accomplishments that the world will never forget. During the reign of the Mongol Nation they established religious freedom, abolished slavery, created a free trade economy, created a code of laws, all men were held equal under law including the Khan, united China, created the borders of all mainland Asian countries, and regions, including regions in Russia, all of which exist to this day, and created a time of peace, prosperity, and knowledge that had been unheard of for centuries.

Edited by Penelope - 31-Mar-2007 at 00:42
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2007 at 00:49
I agree, the Pax Mongolica was very influential and in a way, revolutionary. The peace and prosperity that arose from it was astounding. Genghis set up a vast trade network and united a lot of Mongolia, China and Central Asia. It provided social, cultural and economic advances, plus improved communication. Truly a monumental, significant event from 1000-1500AD, though not the most, which is up to your own opinion. SmileThumbs%20Up
SuryaVajra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SuryaVajra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2013 at 10:55
Really people?

You cant think of anything outside these wars ? Wouldn't civilization have carried on much better if all these war mongers just dropped dead?

Because I can tell you without an iota of doubt that the most important event in these 500 years was the invention of Calculus by Madhavacharya and his disciples.

Not much of the technological refinement we enjoy today would have come about without Calculus.

Newton, Maxwell, Einstein and Schrodinger etc etc wouldn't have derived any of their theorems without this precious calculus that reached Europe in the 16th century.

TheAlaniDragonRising View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Spam Fighter

Quote TheAlaniDragonRising Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2013 at 11:19
Originally posted by SuryaVajra

Really people?

You cant think of anything outside these wars ? Wouldn't civilization have carried on much better if all these war mongers just dropped dead?

Because I can tell you without an iota of doubt that the most important event in these 500 years was the invention of Calculus by Madhavacharya and his disciples.

Not much of the technological refinement we enjoy today would have come about without Calculus.

Newton, Maxwell, Einstein and Schrodinger etc etc wouldn't have derived any of their theorems without this precious calculus that reached Europe in the 16th century.

Before Leibniz and his calculus(probably not such a good idea to talk about Newton's shame here) the term calculus was loosely used to mean any branch of mathematics. However there are what is considered to be precursors to calculus are known to go right back to at least ancient Greece.  
What a handsome figure of a dragon. No wonder I fall madly in love with the Alani Dragon now, the avatar, it's a gorgeous dragon picture.
SuryaVajra View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote SuryaVajra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2013 at 13:39
Originally posted by TheAlaniDragonRising

Before Leibniz and his calculus(probably not such a good idea to talk about Newton's shame here) the term calculus was loosely used to mean any branch of mathematics. However there are what is considered to be precursors to calculus are known to go right back to at least ancient Greece.  

I'll cut to the core Alani

The so called Greek miracles you allude to ,allegedly performed by the legendary Greeks like Euclid and Archimedes do not seem to stand the test of verification.

The Greeks did not have the decimal system or the place value system .

Without these , you cannot solve serious fractions . Infact the Greek numerals was even less sophisticated than the Roman numerals. Its horribly tedious to solve even a simple 367 x 24 with the Roman numerals. How then the Greek numerals.

The Greeks, by common sense, wouldn't even  say the correct length of the year (365.256363004)

Dont believe me? Try to think of how the Greeks would represent a fraction like 0.000030009. You need the place value system for that.

Or how they solved a simple 0.0003/35 .They wouldn't even think  of such a thing Today any child can multiply the denominator and numerator by equivalent tens. All you need is the Vedic decimal system.

And its not their fault. The alphabetical numerals completely besieged their capabilities .

And you honestly believe Archimedes had a method of Exhaustion . Have you ever thought how thats possible with just alphabet like numbers ?

Calculus is much about infinite series. It cannnot be conceived without atleast the decimal system(
Madhava further invented a floating point system ,today used by computers ). The decimal system was understood and accepted in Europe only in the 17th century before which the Vatican held that the Indian numerals were demoniacal.

Conclusion.

1. Greeks simply did not have the numerals for advanced Algebra, Trigonometry and Arithmetic. 

2. No original manuscript or atleast their reliable copies or an oral tradition exists for any of the alleged Greek supermen(Pythagoras, Archimedes, Euclid etc)

3. No contemporaneous literature exists explicating or citing the work of these said personages.

4. Much of what the world believes about Greek Mathematics is a result of Eurocentric history writing that has been taking place since 1500s.

Still not convinced? I have a stronger treatment of this if you wish....

Just see what historical text you can find to substantiate your statement.

Edited by SuryaVajra - 13-Jun-2013 at 13:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>