Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nerds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Paul View Drop Down
  Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nerds
    Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 15:30
So I take it you two were difinately bullied at schoo.l
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 15:40
Originally posted by flyingzone

I have a different take on that matter. Yes, most nerds may be smart, but so many of them lack interpersonal skills which are no less important in contributing to success than, say knowledge in world history or good math skills. Yes, we do see many cases of nerds "making it" in the world (e.g. that "microsoft" guy, that "eBay" guy, etc.). But those are the ones we actually see. There are many - "unevolved nerds" (using Augusta's terminology) - who immerse themselves in a world of "trivial pursuit" kind of knowledge but are living miserable lives and still suffering in quiet humiliation, partially due to ostracization by the populace but also partially due to their woeful lack of proper social skills.

Thank goodness, I have "evolved" - but only to a certain extent. I play sports. I have a "social" job. I go clubbing. I even use "products" for my hair for crying out loud. Yet once a nerd you are always a nerd. Deep inside me, still nothing can turn me on more than an exciting game of "Risk" or watching a historical documentary on TV or things like accidentally bumping into a site like AE or coming across a book entitled "The Tibetan Empire in Central Asia" (by the way, that's a real book that I own ...) in a bookstore ...  Things like that are more cool than any of the other "cool" things I do. But of course I will never admit that to my "non-nerd" friends. I think I am a closeted nerd.  

Whoa man! I gotta meet you! Just like you, I used to know all the capitals of the world by the time I was 8 or 9, and I could draw the world map by heart... Historical documentaries; one of few things I watch on TV. "The Tibetan Empire in Central Asia": sounds awesome; who wrote it?

I understand what you mean about the nerdiness. I actually suffered quite a bit from being stereotyped as a nerd, especially in high school. I didn't really lack personal skills though, as evidenced by my transformation into a social butterfly in my university days. But now, after graduating and working and getting engaged, I'm turning back to my nerdy ways. Once a nerd, always a nerd!

Anyway, just a general comment: in North America, as opposed to Europe (where I lived till I was 14), there is an actual stigma on being knowledgeable and studious, at least until the end of high school. Afterwards, the priorities change, and all of a sudden "nerds" are very valued, since they have the skills to make money and because this a society that prizes money above all else. The fact remains though that through one's childhood and adoloscence, in North America, one's intelligence and studious ways are often considered an impediment when attempting to advance on the social ladder. I certainly notice the lack of that class that Maju referred to as an empollon. A student who likes to study hard, is ambitious, but that doesn't restrict him from having friends as well. In my childhood and early teen years spent in Romania, I fell into that category. Only to come to a rude shock after moving to Canada and finding myself an object of scorn for my knowledge and interests.

This is a problem that I attribute partly to the pre-universitary school system, which is rather poor compared to most countries in Europe and Asia. The system is oriented towards the mediocre rather than the top student. In school, intelligence and aptitude for study are not therefore prized as the scarce skill they are, and children turn towards other skills such as athletic ability to play a role in the determination of the pecking order. In university and beyond, the system is much more competitive, and so the "nerd's" natural abilities become much more valuable, which plays a role in how others see him/her.

In answer to your last question, flyingzone, there are few female nerds because in general young girls tend to place less emphasis on athletic abilities and other such factors when determining the social order. Thus, the potential female "nerd" is capable of making friends easier and gets to develop her social skills. This makes her much less conspicuous as a "nerd", though she may enjoy studying. Another factor is that women tend to be in general less interested in some of the subjects that nerds are interested in. Male nerds are often interested in subjects related to war and the military (including science fiction, history), have a natural fascination with nature (hence bug collecting, etc.), as well as abstract reasoning (math, chess, physics, etc.). These are subjects which are not vey well suited to women, often for biological reasons: they tend to be less interested in war, being more passive; they often are stronger in intuitive reasoning and artistic skills, as opposed to men's natural abilities in abstract reasoning. Finally, they are often squeamish when it comes to animals, especially invertebrates. Keep in mind that these are generalizations, and I don't want anyone to get offended. Just because women in general tend to be better at intuitive rather than abstract reasoning, that doesn't mean that all women are like that. In this situation, it's good to apply the 80/20 rule, where these statements apply to 80% of the population, but not to the remaining 20%. 

Edited by Decebal
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 15:43
Originally posted by rider

I AM AN WESTERN SHRA EXPERT: they speak FRench in ALgeria too!!!

Definetly.

Western Sahara is the SADR, you "expert":

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 22:11

Decebel, I told you, I always know we're not alone. I am sure there are quite a few who are like us out there. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure there are some AE forumers who did what we did.

So what's the capital city of Laos (without looking at any map)?

As I mentioned in my initial post, I actually met a guy (definitely much more nerdy than me) who knew all the capital cities and drew the world map by heart by 8 or 9. He, like me (and most probably you too), loves looking at maps. In fact I think he even collects rare maps. VERY nerdy ...

"The Tibetan Empire iin Central Asia" is written by a dude called Christopher I. Beckwith. Bought it at "Chapters" a few years ago. Fascinating stuff (to me at least). And I am not even a historian.

Where are you, Decebel? 

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 22:24

Yes, I remember when I was young, my best friend was just as nerdy as me. In grade four , we used to compete in geography quizzes, where we would give each other questions like: "Name all the rivers longer than 1000 Km in Siberia"... I think he was actually even worse than me Unfortunately, I lost touch with him when I emigrated 12 years ago. But from then on I always knew there were other people like me

capital of Laos? Vientiane of course! What's the capital of Kiribati? (I was always weak when it came to Pacific island nations)

I live in Ottawa actually. And I go to Montreal like 20 times a year (that' s where my fiancee is from).

So what do you think about my assesment of the causes of the "nerdiness"?

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 22:47
Decebal,

You're saying that nerdiness and intelligence/aptitude are very closely related. In practice, they may be true, but to my experience, I don't think the correlation is as severe as you put it. I knew many people in HS that were very intelligent, but were not at all "nerdy," if nerdy is defined as an attitude. On the contrary, there were people who were nerdy, but did not particular care about excelling in education.
Emperor Barbarossa View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Emperor Barbarossa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Dec-2005 at 23:07

Since I am new here, someone might have brought this up already without my knowing. When I was a kid, I was such a nerd - I could name all the capital cities of the world; I could draw the world map with great accuracy even when I was about 10 or 11; on the world maps I drew, I would invent imaginary wars among countries, change countries' borders, and make up new countries (especially empires); I would also draw imaginary cities with buildings, bridges, airports, ports, etc. I am pretty sure I am not the only one here who's as nerdy as me. A few years ago, I met someone who did the exact same thing I used to do when I was a kid, and I couldn't believe it. I am quite certain that there are some members of AE who did that too when they were kids.

While not being able to draw every country, I could draw the world map with continents and most of the countries. Then I did make up stuff. One time I had the British Empire restored and it took over France and then it lost to Russia. Russia then took over India and French IndoChina. Soon the Russians tried to conquer the US, still under British control, and both sides blew up the world by nuclear war.

SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 01:02

I'd say in school I was known for being smart in english and social studies/history/civics. But I had the attitude of I don't give a f*ck. I would yell at a teacher and argue with them if I felt I was right. I held that attitude through the four years, but my maturity got better, every year I got fewer detentions. Think I only had one or two in my senior year. But I also would particpate in school whenever I knew the answer.

I wouldn't say I am much of a fighter, I tried having as much friends as I could, and never had a enemy in high school. In 8th grade was my last real fight where a kid through a snow ball at me, I don't think it even hit me, but I just got pissed and chased him down he fell and I jumped on top of him and started punching him in the head, I guess I have a anger problem... I barely remember that day though.

In school there were a group of nerds though. I guess you could say they didn't wear the popular styles, but I always had my own style and hung out with multiple people and groups. I think you just have to have the right attitude and if you allow yourself to be picked on then you allow yourself to join the misfits. I really don't know, my schools was alittle weird with all the groups.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 03:43

So what's the capital city of Laos (without looking at any map)?

Aha, exposed as an imposter, you're certainly no nerd, just a wannabe.

Any self respecting nerd would know the country's not even called Laos, it's called Lao. There's not even a final 's' in the Lao language so no citizen of the country could even pronounce the word Laos without several weeks linguistic coaching.

You would also know the capital city Vientaine is again a western mistake being as there in no 'v' in the Lao language and the city is actually pronounced We-un-tcharn.

Edited by Paul
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
flyingzone View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote flyingzone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 07:11

I think we've found the king of nerds here

Decebel: I agree with you that there's a lot of "anti-intellectualism" going on in North American schools (which seems to have a disproportionate impact on boys especially). However, I still don't think it's just a North American phenomenon. While in your (Romanian) case, you did not face too much harassment as a result of your nerdiness, at least in the United Kingdom (where I went to high school), nerds (like me) are taunted mercilessly too. Maybe it's an Anglo-American thing????? 

If "nerdiness" were still a stigma at the university level, it would signify the end of human civilization ... But I know in some American colleges and universities, being a nerd is still not a "cool" thing. People tend to worship jocks and frat boys but keep a distance from nerds.

Oh boy, I don't have a clue what the capital city of Kiribati is ... I don't even know where Kiribati is even though I KNOW it is a Pacific island nation. So I guess I am indeed an imposter

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Dec-2005 at 09:56
Originally posted by Decebal

What's the capital of Kiribati? (I was always weak when it came to Pacific island nations)

Isn't that Nuku'alofa? or Funafuti?
Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2005 at 11:59

When i try to think of a nerd, I usually think of a person starting with knowing a couple programming languages, most of the times he is extremely skilful at hacking computers and continuing on with being former world champion of at least one or more computer games. I can continue by mentioning the fact that most of them are top in maths at their schooldays and have a unique hobby in real life, sth like chess, where they played with tens of people chess in real life, and have never lost to any one of them. They have a unigue way of nerdish laugh and also have a unique sense of incredibly bad humor that usually only another nerd can understand.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 03:05

Nuku'alofa, I think it was. I do not remember the PAcific islands. And actually, the capital of Lao is Vientiane.

And yes, nerds, should be someone who do not know anything but study hard but intellectual are people who know just after reading the text once and retell it with one mistake-.

In my old and stupid atlas the capital is Bairiti. (??)

Edited by rider
Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 05:13
I don't believe in the term "Nerd".I just think they are intelligient,and some lack social and personal skills,but that is as bit as stereotyping as if you say a Football Player is a dumb***.I think it was a term to insult the intelligient ones,some were school-friendly and others hated school.Most people know what they're saying,they just don't understand it.Thats the term of this "nerd".

In Honor
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Dec-2005 at 10:09

Nerd. Sounds kinda fun to poke around at geeky types that stick out from the majority. I've done my share on picking on 'nerds' in the past. I mean they are terrible at sports. Uncoordinated as a dodo bird and seem to always wear glasses with thick lenses. Makes 'em look goofy.

The influence of social status in the American classrooms makes it tough for one to be a nerd. They would join the chess club, and seem to have an affinity towards electronics, schematics and all that stuff. They seemed to show intelligence in areas that others cared not to participate in or study. Little did I care that those innocently abused Nerds were the brunt of many jokes. So what if they may have had a learning disability. Who cares if they lacked the macho standards that a 'real guy' should have. Later, when Nerds gained popularity and popped out of everywhere did it become fashionable to have a nerd hang out with you. Unless your friends saw you with one. Then they thought you weren't right and you just might be a nerd yourself. What a thought! Come to think about it...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12