Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

US hypocrisy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
strategos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote strategos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: US hypocrisy
    Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 22:05

The US, full of its ideas of democracy and freedom throughout the world, has been very hypocritacal at many times in its history, especially recently.

The US wants to spread peace throughout the Middle East but will BREAK ITS BACK for countries like Saudi Arabia and to some degree Kuwait.

The US supported the coup in the 1960's-1970's that overthrough the Government of Greece.

The fact that Lebanon still faces aggression from Israel which wants Syria to be treated as a pariah state; or that Iran and Syria are accused of possession of weapons of mass destruction while Israel is permitted to protect its arsenal of WMDs is all part of the hypocrisy that characterises US foreign policy.

It is very hypocritical for the US government to claim to promote democracy and freedom throughout the world yet when it comes to the nation of Cyprus expediency and a double standard takes precedence over the lofty ideals of liberty.

There are many other examples which can be talked about, but I guess this goes for many countries. But I expected the great nation of the US to start to live up to these ideas of freedom and democracy, and not bow down to hystaria and the "oil kingdoms."

Imperator Invictus View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Imperator Invictus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 22:12
The simple answer is that if some other nation were in the US's place, it would not be any better.
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 22:48
The U.S. is doing what it needs to, defending it's interests.  A country should do nothing else except that.
Member of IAEA
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 23:20

Wait, does the US have or had any involvment in Cyprus? I mean there might have been, but I haven't really heard about it. If not, how does that come to mind when their are other countries in the world that need help, one continent comes to mind, Africa. Which some US politicians have been pushing for to help parts of Africa.

Anyways, like said above, a country does whats best for it's own good, even if that means double standards. Sometimes if you practice what you preach, you just screw yourself in the end.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 23:22

Originally posted by strategos

The US, full of its ideas of democracy and freedom throughout the world, has been very hypocritacal at many times in its history, especially recently.

The US wants to spread peace throughout the Middle East but will BREAK ITS BACK for countries like Saudi Arabia and to some degree Kuwait.

The US supported the coup in the 1960's-1970's that overthrough the Government of Greece.

The fact that Lebanon still faces aggression from Israel which wants Syria to be treated as a pariah state; or that Iran and Syria are accused of possession of weapons of mass destruction while Israel is permitted to protect its arsenal of WMDs is all part of the hypocrisy that characterises US foreign policy.

It is very hypocritical for the US government to claim to promote democracy and freedom throughout the world yet when it comes to the nation of Cyprus expediency and a double standard takes precedence over the lofty ideals of liberty.

For a minute there I thought I was reading another editorializing bit of news from some CNN reporter!

Originally posted by Genghis

The U.S. is doing what it needs to, defending it's interests.  A country should do nothing else except that.

Excellent.  I agree with you.

Its not like this is all America does, to all you liberal do-gooders out there.  America bends over backwords and forks over way to much money and resources in charity and relief to the rest of the world.  It is never enough and all we get in return is a bunch of ungrateful and spiteful attacks through the world (inlcuding the US media) media.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 23:31

Difference is the media doesn't it do it to show opinion, but instead to make money. After all, scandal sells. I think it's good though, because if there was no criticism this country would be mindless zombies, like much of the red states. 

It's a joke, they aren't zombies.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 23:38
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Difference is the media doesn't it do it to show opinion, but instead to make money. After all, scandal sells. I think it's good though, because if there was no criticism this country would be mindless zombies, like much of the red states. 

It's a joke, they aren't zombies.

Ha ha, yeah, it is good for the entertainment value. 

I can't stand idiots like Wolf Blitzer and Christiana Amanpour!  It is so apparent that their only motive is to portray the president in as negative of a light as possible.  They could care less about informing the public or just providing the news.  To them its all a big game and they try to "one-up" each other in their Bush-hating and America-hating editorials.

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 23:43
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Ha ha, yeah, it is good for the entertainment value. 

I can't stand idiots like Wolf Blitzer and Christiana Amanpour!  It is so apparent that their only motive is to portray the president in as negative of a light as possible.  They could care less about informing the public or just providing the news.  To them its all a big game and they try to "one-up" each other in their Bush-hating and America-hating editorials.

Ya, but its better than the presidential ass-kissing handed out by Fox News on a nightly basis. I used to pick the lesser of two evils and watch CNN, but i dont even watch news on t.v. anymore...it became redundant for me.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 23:52

Originally posted by ArmenianSurvival

Ya, but its better than the presidential ass-kissing handed out by Fox News on a nightly basis. I used to pick the lesser of two evils and watch CNN, but i dont even watch news on t.v. anymore...it became redundant for me.

Yeah, it is pretty redunant; I just watch it mainly for the entertainment value nowadays.

Fox is a big Bush boot-kisser organization.  However, every country I am assuming, has its own propaganda machine that props up its leaders.  CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS on the other hand are by far the worst evils.  They are practically sister-stations of and extensions of al-Jazeera and act as the enemy's propaganda machine.  They and their "news" is directly opposed to the well-being and preservation of the USA as a country.  Their single monolithic focus is to smear Bush's image and to cause another Watergate and get another "big-bad" Republican presidency out of the White House.

Edited by Byzantine Emperor
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 23:53

About america  supporting the military coup in greece...why dont you blame your own military for instigating the coup?

and lets talk about your own exploits on crete.

Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 00:43

There was a study from some university that said Americans who watch Comedy central knew more about whats going on then watching Fox. I don't know if it was posted here or if I read it someplace else, but I couldn't find the study, so I can't say if it's true or not, but funny anyways.

I don't think CNN is all that biased, they tell it how it is. But then again I don't watch any of their shows, maybe Lou Dobbs, but all he talks about is securing the borders and trying to make America safer. While he brings up good points I'm getting alittle tired of hearing it.

I'll watch Wolfe Blitzer tomorrow.

Anyways there's nothing wrong talking down a president, all those you named even talked down on Clinton and still do with his wife and talk about all their Scandals. Like I said they only put up stories that will cause the most interest to cash in and beat their competitors.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 01:19
Well, most of the people who watch the Daily Show are already well informed, otherwise they wouldn't get most of the jokes.
Member of IAEA
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 06:42

Originally posted by strategos

For a minute there I thought I was reading another editorializing bit of news from some CNN reporter!

Originally posted by Genghis

Excellent.  I agree with you.

Its not like this is all America does, to all you liberal do-gooders out there.  America bends over backwords and forks over way to much money and resources in charity and relief to the rest of the world.  It is never enough and all we get in return is a bunch of ungrateful and spiteful attacks through the world (inlcuding the US media) media.

-I couldnt agree more. Other countries are always talking about how they get the short-end of the stick or how the US did them wrong or could have done better in this aspect or that aspect...............as if their particular interests were the ONLY interests. It is a very political world and no other country is involved in so much and helps and is expected to help as much as the US. You cant always satisfy everyone and just like what was stated earlier, a country is going to look after its interests.

Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 07:26

I think the point is that if you are Americas ally, you have certain benifits.  It is a goods incentive to get more allies!

But seriously, did you expect us to be perfect?

Edited by Thegeneral
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 08:12
I think it's something you have to expect, being a superpower. You certainly didn't get there alone, and you certainly couldn't maintain it at the level it is today without economic cooperation from the rest of the world.

Non-Americans are largely more informed about the consequences of your government's decisions than Americans are, this has been shown so many times - do you think we're just gossiping? It's in our interest to know because your government's policies affect the average non-American quite strongly.

I remember a little over a year ago, the United States changed something - illegally, according to trade laws, I might add - related to steel imports. How many Americans even knew it happened? While, in Russia, whole cities in the north were economically destroyed. I remember seeing a special about the sudden rise in unemployment as factories were forced to close, the associated rise in suicide rates, domestic violence rates, and so on.

That ignorence is irritating. I could stomach the decisions made by the American government better if the American people actually cared enough to know about them, and their consequences.

Lastly - no one ever likes the rich kid. Especially when they're fat and change the rules of the game every recess.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 09:14

Yeah, it is pretty redunant; I just watch it mainly for the entertainment value nowadays.

Fox is a big Bush boot-kisser organization. However, every country I am assuming, has its own propaganda machine that props up its leaders. CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS on the other hand are by far the worst evils. They are practically sister-stations of and extensions of al-Jazeera and act as the enemy's propaganda machine. They and their "news" is directly opposed to the well-being and preservation of the USA as a country. Their single monolithic focus is to smear Bush's image and to cause another Watergate and get another "big-bad" Republican presidency out of the White House.

If Bush didn't help by behaving like a "big-bad" Republican, then the media couldn't do anything, could they?
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 09:21
Originally posted by hugoestr

Fox is a big Bush boot-kisser organization. However, every country I am assuming, has its own propaganda machine that props up its leaders. CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS on the other hand are by far the worst evils. They are practically sister-stations of and extensions of al-Jazeera and act as the enemy's propaganda machine. They and their "news" is directly opposed to the well-being and preservation of the USA as a country. Their single monolithic focus is to smear Bush's image and to cause another Watergate and get another "big-bad" Republican presidency out of the White House.

If Bush didn't help by behaving like a "big-bad" Republican, then the media couldn't do anything, could they?

All politicians must behave like their constituencies in order to pander to them.  It is the same if you are a republican or a communist.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 09:25
Originally posted by Imperator Invictus

The simple answer is that if some other nation were in the US's place, it would not be any better.

Although that is true, it is not a justification.

Originally posted by Thegeneral

I think the point is that if you are Americas ally, you have certain benifits.

Like a law that allows the US to invade your country if Americans are arrested by the ICJ?
Like continuously being insulted by US conservatives and conservative media for being "baby killers", on drugs and things like that?
Like having a boycott called against one of your dependencies by a state governor and against the entire country by yet another media moron?
yes, those are certainly great benefits
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 09:53

Fox is a big Bush boot-kisser organization.  However, every country I am assuming, has its own propaganda machine that props up its leaders.  CNN, MSNBC, CBS, ABC, NBC, and PBS on the other hand are by far the worst evils.  They are practically sister-stations of and extensions of al-Jazeera and act as the enemy's propaganda machine.  They and their "news" is directly opposed to the well-being and preservation of the USA as a country.  Their single monolithic focus is to smear Bush's image and to cause another Watergate and get another "big-bad" Republican presidency out of the White House.

You don't seriously believe that all the news stations that criticize the president are the enemy of the country, do you? This is exactly the line fed by state propaganda in fascist and communist countries.

"directly opposed to the well-being and preservation of the USA as a country" WOW!!! Been listening to a bit too much Ann Coulter, have you?

Seriously, how can you possibly make such an affirmation? You know what? To be honest with you, seen from Canada, all these stations seem rather mild on Bush. And they were major boot-lickers until a year or two ago. While it may be true that the media in general is sensationalist, form there to go and say that they have an agenda directly opposed to the survival of the USA is complete nonsense. Actually, it's worse than that. If all Americans thought like you, America would be a fascist country that Hitler could be proud of. Whatever happened to free speech and differing opinions, which are the pillars of the democracy that Americans are so proud of? I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and pretend that perhaps that came out wrong. If it didn't and you seriously believe that, then I suggest you take a long look at your own convictions.

Edited by Decebal
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 11:07
The problem that I have with the cheerleading news networks on cable is that you get an editorialized version of the news. I would like to see more formats where the audience of those very same networks become more involved via interactive participation. Dispute and debate with the average Joe instead of only inviting the so-called experts. This way the ringleaders that invade my TV will get faced with questions they can't easily manipulate to their liking.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>