Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

north africa: in the islamic world, but not really the arab......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Turk View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Turk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: north africa: in the islamic world, but not really the arab......
    Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 19:12
Originally posted by Emile Boutros

Tunisia is not. Libya is not. All North Africa does not have Berbers and most of it is Arab.

Talk to a Tunisian and they'll want to tell you they're French. They say things like "we have in France..." Quite amusing.

Edited by Turk
Emile Boutros View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Emile Boutros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 19:59

"Talk to a Tunisian and they'll want to tell you they're French. They say things like "we have in France..." Quite amusing."

I have spent lots of time in Tunisia with relatives and have many friends from there from secondary school and I have never heard of a Tunisian saying this. I have heard of Turks who say they are Westerners and Europeans and such however (especially when I was in Sweden) I am not sure if this is the popular sentiment however.

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 20:04

I eat Sushi often, and used to study Japanese.  I hope that does not mean I have converted to being a Japanese without knowing

Knight
Knight

Quote Emile Boutros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Mar-2005 at 21:58
Japanese is closed society. Arabs are not. IF you live as an Arab, speak the Arabic language as native or mother tongue, identify with the Arab cause, you may be an Arab. Obviously it is hard for Westerners to understand this concept while their societies are racially closed and hierarchical.
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 13:53

"Talk to a Tunisian and they'll want to tell you they're French. They say things like "we have in France..." Quite amusing."

I have spent lots of time in Tunisia with relatives and have many friends from there from secondary school and I have never heard of a Tunisian saying this. I have heard of Turks who say they are Westerners and Europeans and such however (especially when I was in Sweden) I am not sure if this is the popular sentiment however.

The Turks are European.

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Knight
Knight

Quote Emile Boutros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Mar-2005 at 17:13
Since when did the Turks who came from Central Asia and live in Asia become Europeans?
ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Mar-2005 at 11:25
The Turks of Turkey are Westernised Middle Easterners who came from Central Asia
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 01:42

Since when did the Turks who came from Central Asia and live in Asia become Europeans?

since Ataturk said so

ihsan View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ihsan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Mar-2005 at 16:42
No, since the Paris Peace Conference of 1857. According to this treaty, the Ottoman Empire was a member of the System of European Nations.
[IMG]http://img50.exs.cx/img50/6148/ger3.jpg">

Qaghan of the Vast Steppes

Steppes History Forum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12