Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Presidential debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Presidential debate
    Posted: 05-Oct-2004 at 14:51

Actually America is doubtlessly a republic, because a Republic is a state without a Monarch. But as to the question of wether it is democratic and free... that can be debated.

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 17:01
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 22:44

Well, it's even worse that he is the governor in any case.

Actually there's currently talk in the senate about allowing foreign born americans the oppurtunity to be elected president. So my prediction Ahnold! 2008.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 23:30
Originally posted by JanusRook

Actually there's currently talk in the senate about allowing foreign born americans the oppurtunity to be elected president. So my prediction Ahnold! 2008.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest. I can just imagine his presidential speech. Hopefully by 2008 I'll be done with school and safely out of Ahnold's touch if that be the case.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Oct-2004 at 16:10
Lol, you can't deny my prediction now, just look at warlord's sig.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2004 at 14:42
the town hall forum is a sham, they say the same damn things they would have anyway, but I liked watching the people in the background, like that obscenely fat man or the lady who was glowering at Bush.
-Alexander Hamilton
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 08:00
I watched the debate last night and I thought Bush did very well, he was very poised and elegant.  I predict that this will make Ohio and Pennsylvania, which were slightly for Kerry by 1 or 2 points, back to a dead-heat.
Member of IAEA
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 08:10

But Bush couldn't get that angry I-am-going-to-punch-you look off his face. Plus he argued with the moderator for 10 seconds about going over speech time.

Some mistakes made by Bush:

"If he was the President, Saddam Hussein would still have been in power and the world would be a bettter place for it!" (I could not trust my ears, so I verified the comment by looking at the subtitles.)

"Internets" .... rather like saying homeworks

"Remove somebody (Hussein) in Iraq" - rather vague.

He said that Dred Scott case verified the white man to own a black man. That was not true - it stated that a black man was not a citizen, therefore could not make appeals to the court!

"He (Hussein) tortured his own people on tax-cuts" - What???!?! I verified this comment with subtitles as well.

He called Canada a Third World country...

I made notes during the debates. I definately did not like the townhall style because there was much more acting and dramatizing rather than spitting out the info outright. Plus some of the questions were just too vague, if not outrightly ridiculous. (...solemn pledge to not increase taxes! what is this, some medieval peasent rebel-leader negociating with a feudal lord?)

Both candidates are using too much of cliches "I have a plan!" and "world is a better place for it!". But perhaps the tasteless masses like that.

Edited by Evildoer
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 12:21

I preState elction redictions:

Lets see if Im right november 2

Florida-Bush

Pennsylvania-Kerry

New Mexico-Kerry

Missouri-Bush

I must admit I have no idea about Ohio though, Pennsylvania's western inferior is a tricky one!

-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 12:24
I find these debates so unwatchable.
How do you yanks manage it?
Arrrgh!!"
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 12:32

I actually liked the first debate - I made 3 pages of notes on it!

I hated the second debate. It was boring, chaotic, vulgar and filled with play-acting and cliche-mongering.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 12:41
You took notes?
Sheeze, on what, Bush's body language?
Arrrgh!!"
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 12:49

Yea, that and stupid statement made by Bush. Plus the candidates' postitions on obscure issues such as Sudan.

Interesting stats: 75% of opium comes from Afghanistan etc. These are useful for me because I am in the school Debate Team, and we usually do debate on political issues.

Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 17:53
Bush definitely did better in the second debate, but since I am pro-Kerry, that is a bad thing for me .

Bush needs about 50 more IQ points to be a satisfactory president for me.  And be about 50% more for the average guy.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Oct-2004 at 17:59

Most people to agree with you Kubrat, but I don't agree. His face was just filled with rage, and he just rambled on making ridiculous statements like "Saddam Hussein would still be in power and the world woudl be better place for it!".

But then of course it is the people who are voting and not me.

warlord View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote warlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 03:40

Originally posted by Colchis

the possible fraud in the last elections and in a country where Arnold Schwarzenegger is mayor and talks about 'girlie men'.

What has Arnold got to do with electoral fraud?

Arnold is great! He is the man that America awaits.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 03:43
Originally posted by warlord

Are you under the influence of illegal substances? And if the answer is yes, what are they?

(Unless you're just kidding and I didn't get the joke)

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
warlord View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote warlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 03:47
Originally posted by Yiannis

Are you under the influence of illegal substances? And if the answer is yes, what are they?

(Unless you're just kidding and I didn't get the joke)

Yup. I am under the influence of intelligence, which is considered illegal in leftist countries.

Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 09:48

I was referring to the fraud in the presedential elections and musing that it could probably happen in a future election too. It is now well known that the comission counted the majority of the void votes (those which have been marked for both the Republicans and Democrats) in favour of the Republicans. It wasn't the people who decided in the last elections, it was the comission and the governor of Florida, who happens to be G.W.'s brother.

As for Arnie being elected, no, I don't think there was any fraud there. It's the Californians at work.
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Oct-2004 at 09:51
Originally posted by Cywr

I find these debates so unwatchable.
How do you yanks manage it?

So that everyone can keep their fingers crossed all through the programme either for luck, or for jinxing Bush over the telly, the Sicilian way.

Originally posted by Cywr

You took notes?
Sheeze, on what, Bush's body language?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>