Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Presidential debate

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Presidential debate
    Posted: 27-Sep-2004 at 19:03
What I noticed was how Kerry was taking the time to jot down notes and prepare what he was going to say in rebuttal to Bush.  Bush didn't really do that as much.  Also, Bush's posture was so bad that it hurt my back just looking at him.

What I also didn't like was the way that Bush would smirk or try to 'slyly' assault Kerry.  The thing is Bush will resort to anything to win.  Enough with the flip-flop tactic.  I'd rather have a president sensible enough to realize he made a mistake than one who will stick to one in order to keep his pride.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2004 at 19:03
What I noticed was how Kerry was taking the time to jot down notes and prepare what he was going to say in rebuttal to Bush.  Bush didn't really do that as much.  Also, Bush's posture was so bad that it hurt my back just looking at him.

What I also didn't like was the way that Bush would smirk or try to 'slyly' assault Kerry.  The thing is Bush will resort to anything to win.  Enough with the flip-flop tactic.  I'd rather have a president sensible enough to realize he made a mistake than one who will stick to one in order to keep his pride.
-William Shakespeare
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Sep-2004 at 19:04
Umm, why did my message go to the top when I posted?  And why is there two?
-William Shakespeare
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 21:46

I think Kerry was the clear-cut winner. Bush was very nervous when Kerry would bring up some of the faults of his policies and his decisions. Bush was running out of things to say and was repeating himself too much.

Did you guys watch it? Who do you think "won" the debate and why? Which issues are important to you and how were they discussed among the two candidates?

Edited by ArmenianSurvival
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 22:42
Even though I am by no means a big fan of Kerry (who I think has his own faults galore) by tonight's performance I can clearly say that Bush was losing big time. He cannot talk when there is no set text for him to read from and obviously doesn't have logical answers to give to to the obvious questions that were going to be asked. He -rather unsuccessfully- tried to divert the subject by repeating the exact same things over and over again; and in my humble opinion, failed miserably. I'm afraid with how the things are going he still has a good chance to win, however.

Back to Kerry, what bothers me most with him is that he is not exactly radically different from Bush on certain matters. Of course that was the whole point of his candidacy, that Howard Dean was too 'liberal' and John Kerry would be able to take some of the votes the disillusioned Republicans were willing to spare on some 'middle-way' guy. His failure to mention the lie about 'mass destruction weapons' (I don't see the need to phrase is as 'weapons of mass destruction' as it is clearly a grammatical mistake on Bush's part, given his capacity with My Pet Goat) was a big mistake, for example when he was talking about the lies G.W. Bush uttered to the American people. This is so clear that there were no such weapons or the Iraqi forces would have been using them from the start instead of trying to run and hide in holes in the ground. I'm not exactly too keen on Kerry's views on the continuation of the war either however I see that it is not exactly the right time to pull of from Iraq and leave the country in a state much worse than before -in total chaos and anarchy to destabilise the region even more.

In any case, it is clear that another 4 year term with Bush will be catastrophic, concerning both internal and foreign affairs -unless of course one is an oil billionaire who is getting tax-cuts and more profits thanks to the war. Or if one is the CEO of one of the pharmacological corporations who will enjoy the new legislation in prescription drugs if it passes (and it will pass, if Bush wins another term). What is so sad is that the American policy concerns the WHOLE wide world and yet only the American people have a say on it -and they usually prefer not to care, if one is to take the statistics about the average voting population to account.

Depressing, really.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 04:49
Due to tume zone differences it was 2:45 in the night here when the debate started. I tried to stay awake, but eventually I decided to go to sleep.
I hope I'll view one of the next debates, though.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 05:16

Actually, I didn't get to catch the presidential debates. But I did catch my state's gubernatorial debate. It was actually a three party debate. Something I think the presidential debate should key in on.

Too bad our democratic-republican party (yea that's right their both the same party) won't let any other parties in on their monopolized TV time.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 06:37
Victory definitely went to Kerry.  Bush seemed to be doing alright, but after a few minutes his arguments kept coming back to the same thing.  "The world (or America, he used this so many times I couldn't keep up) is better off without Suddam Hussein."  Even though I think he's somewhat correct, I don't believe that it justifies invading and occupying another nation.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 07:54
Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Due to tume zone differences it was 2:45 in the night here when the debate started. I tried to stay awake, but eventually I decided to go to sleep.
I hope I'll view one of the next debates, though.

They are all going to be at roughly the same time though surely? Unless theres one on in New York in the morning.
Arrrgh!!"
maersk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote maersk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 12:14
to sum it up in a few words..............bush got owned
"behold, vajik, khan of the magyars, scourge of the pannonian plain!"
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 17:54
Evildoer, in a true democracy, not a representative democracy, all issues are decided in the majoritarian way.

But a true republic is a government where representatives of the people rule the nation, hence the US.
-William Shakespeare
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 16:27

it was boring, Id rather watch a debate with all parties included.  Kerry did win, but thats doenst mean much in the long run, though it definately re-iterated the bush campaign in a bad way, they try to market bush as the everyman, a guy u would want to have a barbeque with etc, but I hope that debate showed people its better to have a stogy intellectual for president than some redneck. 

I do not want the president to be my friend I wat him to be a good presidetn!

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Evildoer View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Evildoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 19:32

I took 3 pages of notes myself during the debates - it was interesting although they both talked a lot of trash. I don't like Kerry, but I loath Bush as I do a pile of sewage.

Bush hesistated for 5 seconds 3 or four times, cast evil looks at Kerry, crossed his eyes and pressed his lips together foolishly and used too many cliched phrases over and over. He accused Kerry of being "inconsistant" 12 times lol.

Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 20:51
My favorite line was the whole "what kind of message does that send?"  Kerry CRUSHED Bush.  Kerry is now tied or ahead in every poll!  And Georgie boy...you got two more of these!  The inconsistency thing...people do tend to change their minds when they spend 17 years in Congress.  People think over the issues and decide that maybe there's a better way.  Look at Zell Miller, the ultimate flip-flopper!  I mean, everyone says Bush is too dogmatic but Kerry flip-flops...what the hell do you want?  Kerry isn't radically different from Bush...except that he actually has a plan.  Bring in the allies, REAL allies!  Yes yes, Britain, Austrialia, and Polish Special Forces were there, but that was all.  Of the rest of the nations now there, I think only 8 of them have more than 1,000 troops there.  Britain has only I think 8,000 left, or am I shooting too high?  This is a coalition?  I mean, personally, large parts of me wouldn't mind just letting the nation slip into whatever hole it's digging for itself, but we did that in Afghanistan once before, and look what happened.
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 23:25
Originally posted by Roughneck

Britain has only I think 8,000 left, or am I shooting too high?  This is a coalition?

That, and the fact that Blair actually apologised publicly and is trying to save face now with the whole Iraq thing.

I'm just worried about the whole conspiracy thing going on about how G.W. is planning something catastrophic to happen or that they already have Bin Laden and will make it public right before the elections. Outrageous all these theories might sound I'm not sure if I'd be surprised what with the possible fraud in the last elections and in a country where Arnold Schwarzenegger is mayor and talks about 'girlie men'.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 15:14

Arnold Schwarzenegger is mayor

Actually he's a governor. In the US mayor's are in charge of cities and governor's in charge of states.

As to the possible election fraud, how many nations have offered to make sure the US's election is legal, like we do for many third world countries?

Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 17:01

I think there was talk of letting the UN monitor the elections

Although that would create mass hysteria that even the US isn't really democratic.

-William Shakespeare
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 18:42

Although that would create mass hysteria that even the US isn't really democratic.

It is?

Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 18:48
Well, that it isn't really a republic .

For true democracy to work we'd have to live in some kind of anarcho-communistic world...

Edited by Kubrat
-William Shakespeare
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 19:21
Originally posted by JanusRook

Actually he's a governor. In the US mayor's are in charge of cities and governor's in charge of states.

Ah, right, sorry. It's hard to get used to the whole state system. Well, it's even worse that he is the governor in any case.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>