Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Best Bolt-Action Battle Rifle.

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: What is the best bolt-action battle rifle ever produced?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [13.64%]
6 [27.27%]
9 [40.91%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.55%]
1 [4.55%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Bolt-Action Battle Rifle.
    Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 15:02
The best rifle here is probably the... Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1*
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 06:41
I really don't know which is the best. I voted Mannlicher because the Mannlicher Schoenauer rifle was used as the basic rifle by the Greek army in all its major wars from the First Balkan War to WWII.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 06:47

I should add however, that in the Greek Civil war, the Italian rifle (Carcano?) was not very much preffered (perhaps because of its weird and rare calibre). The Lee Enfield and the Mauser were equally good, according to my grandfather. He liked very much the Lee Enfield, but he regarded the Mauser Kar98 as a worthy opponent.

The Lebel I think is old. In the Greek army the Lebel rifle was given to secondary troops, as artillery crews for examble. It was also used as a grenade launcher by front troops.

The Mosin Nagant is a classic, but I don't have any clues of its performance in comparison to other rifles.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 14:27
Well, the Carcano M1930 was actully quite a good rifle.

Well, I must say, I agree with your grandfather. I own one.

Heres of list of calibers I know for these guns.
SMLE No. 4 Mk 1*- .303 "British" (Lee Caliber)
K98k-7.92x57mm
M91/30-7.62x54R
Carcano-6.5 Italian
Ariska T99-7.7 Japanese
M1903A3-7.62x67 (.30-06 American)
Lebel-8mm French

I personally think the Swiss Vertelli rifle is just odd.

Edited by AFV Master
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 14:28
I'm not so sure about the Mannlicher rifle calibers though... they appear to be quite numerous.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 12:59
The Mannlicher Schoenauer that the Greek army used had 6,5mm calibre.
cg rommel View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote cg rommel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 13:48
i dont know wich to choose, the lee, the 98k, or the mosin nagant...... so i wont vote....
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 18:33

Mauser. No question about it. Lee Enfield had a larger ammo capacity ( 10 rounds ), but the accuracy of the Mauser was superb.

taken from Wikipedia:

Lee's action was a major improvement on existing bolt-action designs. The rear-mounted lugs place the operating handle much closer to the operator, over the trigger, making it much quicker to operate than "traditional" designs like the Mauser, which forced the operator to move his hand forward to operate the bolt; also, the bolt's distance of travel was identical with the length of the cartridge, and its rotation was only 60 degrees (compared to the conventional 90 degree rotation of Mauser-style actions). The disadvantage was that the rear lugs placed a greater load on the rigidity of the bolt up to the receiver.

The speedy bolt and large magazine capacity (ten rounds, compared to the five of most Mauser derivatives, which also used a slower bolt-type) ensured that a trained rifleman could fire between 15 to 30 aimed rounds a minute, making the Lee-Enfield among the fastest military bolt action rifle of the day. Some straight-pull bolt-action rifles were faster, but lacked the simplicity of the Enfield.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2006 at 18:49
Well,all rifle have their advantages and speciffic abilities.

Persay...

Lee Enfield-Superb Battle Rifle.
Kar98k-Exellent hunting rifle.
Springfield-Very Nice target rifle.

The other rifles I haven't fired yet so I will have to wait on that.

Edited by AFV Master
Manuver View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Manuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2006 at 19:43
The Lee Enfield was the fastest cycling bolt action service rifle. As for accuracy, all but mabe the type 99 are capable of quite respectable accuracy, and each uses a round that is cappable of one-shot-stops. I think that it would have to come down to a personal choice based on ones personal egronomic "feel" for the weapon
Ice cream has no bones
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Feb-2006 at 10:38

the carcano m38 cavellaria is a different rifle, and imho one of the best.   I WILL cycle faster than the lee enfield, you dont have to fool with the clip because the whole thing goes in and drops out the bottom.  the caliber 6.5 means lighter ammo, and also the 6 rounds in the clip add an extra edge to some of these.

91/30 is probably the best for reliability.....just trust me on this one....... that little accident with a mud puddle

Post Reply Post Reply