Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHijab vs. Niqaab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hijab vs. Niqaab
    Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 13:20

Hai guys...

I have came accross many opinions regarding on the Hijab and Niqaab (purdah) wearing... and some of the people claimed tht by wearing Niqaab, will show the woman's Taqwa is higher than those who are wearing normal Hijab.. Is that true?? Can someone being judge by the length of head cover she wears even though bth niqaab and hijab are used to cover woman's aurat?

I can see there's several topics in AE already discussed on headscarft or Hijab wearing.. but there's no topic yet to discussed on the usage of Hijab vs. Niqaab (should I put it as versus?)

here i quote one statement from an article:

Dr Hassan al-Turabi, who is so often characterized in the media as an Islamic fundamentalist.  In his  tract On the Position of Women in Islam and in Islamic Society Dr Turabi states:

"So far as the familiar Hijab is concerned, it refers to the special regulation pertaining to the Prophet's wives due to their status and situations. They occupied a position different from all other women, their responsibility is thereby stiffened. God has ordained that their reward as well as punishment be double that for any other woman. "O wives of the Prophet whoever of you commits a vile deed will have her punishment doubled. And that, for God, is quite easy. And whosoever of you serves God and his Prophet devoutly and acts righteously, we shall give her double reward. And we have prepared for her honourable sustenance in the hereafter". (Al-Ahzab, 30-31).

The verses of the same Sura ordained that the wives of the Prophet (peace upon him) draw a curtain (to ensure privacy in the Prophet's room which naturally attracted many visitors of all sorts), and that they dress up completely without showing any part of their bodies including face and hands to any man; though all other Muslim women were exempted from these restrictions."

source: http://www.islamfortoday.com/niqaab.htm

I am not against niqaab to be used by other Islam women just would like to know other members opinions. Coz for me, wearing normal Hijab is the best practice.

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 13:32
I think it is completely unnecessary and if I lived in a country where it was required I would dedicate my life to fighting against it.

But I also think it doesn't break any Islamic rules. According to the Koran, women are required firstly to wear clothes, nudity is not an option. Their breasts must always be concealed in public and, laslty, they must "lengthen their garments" so they are not mistaken for men and disrespected.

They can be beautiful and very respectful in many situations. But, like so much else, they've often been abused as a tool to accomplish objectives. I'm not going to say they're used to oppress women - maybe they are, maybe they aren't - but everyone, surely, can agree they have been misused to meet certain goals of certain leaders.

So I wear one fairly often. At mosque, at funerals, bad-hair-days, foggy days, rainy days, etc. But no one could make me do it and I don't feel it is obligatory.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Hamoudeh View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 13:35

The fundamentalism that is perceived in the West is very different that the heterodoxy that is perceived from an Islamic perspective, and this subject is one of many in which some of those seen from an Islamic perspective as "extreme" are more liberal than orthodoxy. Thus I will first try to briefly summarize the ruling in the four Sunni schools, which is a ruling that has been maintained for centuries:

In the Hanafi school, the relied upon position is that the Niqaab is Wajib (necessary, and there exists a slight difference between necessity and obligation (Fard) in this school unlike in others). There are many notable scholars however who leave room for dispensation, and as such there is Ikthilaf (difference of opinion).

In the Shafi`i school the relied upon position is that the Niqaab is Wajib, the lesser position is that it is recommendable (Sunnah). The Shafi`i school is stricter on this matter than the Hanafi school.

In the Maliki school the relied upon position is that it is reccomendable, the stricter view of necessity is lesser in this school. This is the least strict school on this particular subject.

In the Hanbali school it seems the relied upon position is that it is Wajib, but I am least familliar with the rulings in this school on this subject.

In any case, all four schools unanimously agree that Niqaab is part of Islam and that it is at least recommendable. More liberal views are considered heterodox and possible heresies, from this perspective.

For many non-Muslims and Muslims who are disconnected from tradition, these views may seem like extreme, fundamentalist and so on. Whatever one calls them, they are none other than the orthodoxy that has prevailed in the Islamic world for centuries.

Hijaab & Niqaab

Edited by Hamoudeh
Hamoudeh View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 13:46

Mila, are you speaking of the Hijaab as in the Khimaar that covers your hair? You should know, that Shari`a or Islamic Law is not the Qur'an alone. There are 4 agreed upon sources and the others are Sunnah (ways and sayings of the Prophet), Ijma (consensus of the scholars) and Qiyas (analogy). In any case, Daleel (evidence) from the Qur'an for the Hijab is not lacking either. The Hijab is Fard in all 4 Sunni schools, denying its status may constitute Kufr (disbelief). Not practicing it is considered Fisq (a sin). However, I do not know if it can be enforced or not; there seems to be difference of opinion on it, in any case any enforcement that would exist in an Islamic state would be limited to Muslims.

Ma`salam

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 13:51

Originally posted by hamouden

In the Shafi`i school the relied upon position is that the Niqaab is Wajib, the lesser position is that it is recommendable (Sunnah). The Shafi`i school is stricter on this matter than the Hanafi school.

In Malaysia we follow shafie... but majority of us use normal Hijab...

here i quote:-

Surah An-Nur 24 ayah 31

English Translation from Noble Quran by Dr. Muhammad Taqi-ud-Din Al-Hilali, Ph.D. and Dr. Muhammad Muhsin Khan

"Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity of them: And Allah is well acquainted with all that they do. And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: they should not display their ornaments except what must ordinarily appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty...."

source: http://www.islamfortoday.com/niqaabtara.htm

I think normal Hijab has done enough to fulfill the requirement

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:11

Hamoudeh, you might be interested in reading the following threads:

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6592& ; ;PN=3

http://www.allempires.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6886& ; ;PN=2

With due respect to the traditions that have evolved in Islam, the Orthodoxy do not own the sole rights to the religion. Belief and investigation are open to all. Though many have grown accustomed to traditional values due to societal influences and have accepted laws themselves by calling such 'fard', the origins of such doctrine varies dependant on school of thought and Koranic undestandings. Man made rules and obligations either adhere to or contradict Koranic regulations. Though traditions are steeped in practice over the centuries, they are still open to scrutiny. This is often taken as offensive disbelief by the sunni. Hence the threats of being labelled a kafir and an outcast. Societies that often create stern regulations for the greater good are often promoting discrimination at the cost of social and personal freedoms.

Edited by Seko
Hamoudeh View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:15

As mentioned cahaya, the Qur'an is not the sole source. This is a subject of Fiqh (jurisprudence), and there are at least 3 more sources for this. In the Shafi`i Madhhab, it seems to me that Niqaab as Wajib is more relied upon. The other view is that it is Sunnah, and it is certainly possible for this view to be followed in Malaysia. It is rather complex:

The Shafi`i Madhhab has differentiated, with regard to face-veil (niqab) and covering the hands in public, between it being a qualified order (amr) connected with self-respect (muru'a) rather than an obligation in itself (wajib), however, the conclusive position seems indeed to be the latter as you said. Al-Shirbini said in Mughni al-Muhtaj: "The obvious meaning of the words of the Two Shaykhs [Nawawi and Rafi`i] is that covering (satr) is obligatory in itself (wajib li-dhatih)." Yet the Madhhab *allows* exposing the hands and face if there is no fear of enticement (fitna), especially in trading, witnessing, engagement and marriage, and other transactions, as they are NOT part of nakedness (`awra), and *commands* it in Hajj, although some have deduced that in the context of prohibited gazes they ARE, as related from al-Subki by al-Shirbini and favored by Dr. Sa`id al-Buti in his book Ila Kulli Fatatin Tu'minu bilLah ("To Every Young Woman That Believes in Allah"). Some cite al-Haytami's assertion in al-Fatawa al-Kubra (1:199): "The sum of our [Shafi`i] Madhhab is that Imam al-Haramayn [Ibn al-Juwayni] related consensus (ijma`) over the permissibility for women to go out bare-faced but men must lower their gazes." In Hashiyat Sharh al-Idah fi Manasik al-Hajj (p. 276) al-Haytami repeats this ruling but adds: "This is not contradicted by the consensus over her being commanded to cover her face. The fact that she is commanded to do so for the general welfare does not presuppose its obligatoriness." And (p. 178): "Her need to cover her face stems only from her fear that someone's gaze might lead to a sexual impropriety (fitna), even if we say that it is not obligatory (wajib) for her to cover her face in the public thoroughfares as we have determined elsewhere." This is similar to Qadi `Iyad al-Maliki's assertion of "Consensus (Ijma`) that it is not obligatory for her to cover her face while walking down her street but it is a sunna, and that it is obligatory for men to lower their gaze." The Shafi`is cite this ruling and the Yemeni Shaykh Jamal al-Din Muhammad ibn `Abd Al-Rahman ibn Hasan ibn `Abd al-Bari al-Ahdal (1277-1352) even recommends it in his book `Umdat al-Mufti wal-Mustafti (3:90-91), an abridgment of a collection of books of fatawa which is of great significance given the lateness of the author. He apparently ignored al-Shirbini's comment in the Mughni: "The statement of the Qadi [`Iyad] is weak." At the same time, al-Nawawi in al-Rawda and al-Shirbini in al-Iqna` and Mughni al-Muhtaj both report that Imam al-Haramayn clearly stipulated that the stranger's gaze to a woman's face is forbidden (haram) whether or not there is fear of fitna [short of a valid excuse in the Law such as one of the transactions mentioned] and that "women are therefore forbidden to leave the house barefaced (saafiraat), by agreement of the [law-abiding and knowledgeable] Muslims... since it is more appropriate and decorous in the Law to block the avenue of enticement." The latter ruling takes precedence in the Shafi`i School just as al-Nawawi (especially al-Rawda) takes precedence over al-Haytami. Furthermore, al-Haytami's Fatawa and Sharh al-Idah come last even in the hierarchy of his own books[;] one would have to adduce his Tuhfat al-Muhtaj which is more authoritative, but not more so than the Rawda. It remains to double-check Imam al-Haramayn's actual statement about consensus; however, none of his works is actually authoritative in the Madhhab by itself.

As for the legal category of the face-veil, it hinges on the aforesaid difference of opinion but the latter disappears in case of fear of enticement. Thus you have [1] the ruling of sunna or desirability of covering the face without obligation, which is preponderant in three of the Schools; [2] the obligation of covering the face in all the Schools in case of fear of sexual enticement; and the severest view, [3] the need to cover the face to prevent a stranger's gaze even without fear of enticement, especially in urban settings.

A Reader on the Muslim Veil (Hijab-Niqab) - Shaykh GF Haddad

Edited by Hamoudeh
TheodoreFelix View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:17
I always thought this may be attributed to eastern tradition. These type of covers seem to resemble the ones used in sand dunes and such.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:21

here i like to share this statement which give me good explanation on Niqaab practise:-

"The veiling of the face by women was not originally an Islamic custom. It was prevalent in many cities of the East before the coming of Islam, but not in the cities of Arabia. The purdah system, as it now exists in India, was quite undreamt of by the Muslims in the early centuries, who had adopted the face-veil and some other fashions for their women when they entered the cities of Syria, Mesopotamia, Persia and Egypt. It was once a concession to the prevailing custom and was a protection to their women from misunderstanding by peoples accustomed to associate unveiled faces with loose character. Later on it was adopted even in the cities of Arabia as a mark of [tamaddun] a word generally translated as 'civilization', but which in Arabic still retains a stronger flavour of its root meaning 'townsmanship' that is carried by the English word. It has never been a universal custom for Muslim women, the great majority of whom have never used it, since the majority of the Muslim women in the world are peasants who work with their husbands and brothers in the fields. For them the face-veil would be an absurd encumbrance. The head-veil, on the other hand, is universal.

Thus the Purdah system is neither of Islamic nor Arabian origin. It is of Zoroastrian Persian, and Christian Byzantine origin. It has nothing to do with the religion of Islam, and, for practical reasons, it has never been adopted by the great majority of Muslim women....The Purdah system is not a part of the Islamic law. It is a custom of the court introduced after the Khilafat had degenerated from the true Islamic standard and, under Persian and Byzantine influences, had become mere Oriental despotism. It comes from the source of weakness to Islam not from the source of strength."

source: refer to my first post. tq

Hamoudeh View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:29

Thank you for the links Seko. It seems that you are taking the discussion to a religious perspective, while I would have assumed it is the historical focus that ought to dominate here. Thus we can argue how the rights to religion are divided between orthodoxy and others from our personal perspectives, but historically speaking it is orthodoxy that defines itself as orthodox and heterodoxy that is excluded from it. However might agree or disagree with what orthodoxy maintains is another issue. How people are labled as disbelievers or outcasts from an orthodox perspectives is another matter, depending on many things one being the declaration of a Qadi and not just anyone here or there. Thus if the latter is how you have perceived it, surely it cannot be ascribed to traditions or orthodoxy. As for speaking of man-made laws, this too is a discussion depending on one's own religious perspective. Orthodoxy defines Fiqh as an insight into Shari`a, seeking an as close as possible reflection of this. One can see this as how society defines things depending on his religious outlook, but Orthodoxy does not define it any less than seeking to implement Shari`a.

If you would like to know my personal religious view, which I do not think ought to be too relevant, I am a Sunni Muslim following the Hanafi school mostly in the Syrian orientation. In Syria, the Hanafi school as any other school anywhere maintains what I said concerning the Hijaab and takes a less strict approach to the Niqaab.

Edited by Hamoudeh
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:33
cool... then i know one of muslim bros opinion ..thanks hamoudeh....
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:39
I appreciate your candid reflections on your personal and Hanafi religious views. Your statement regarding the Orthodoxy defining and regulating itself is clearly understood by me as well.  You have eloquently described the matter of Orthodox hierarchy and influence. I think our observations also take into consideration the differences and effects of varied Islamic thought and practices.
Hamoudeh View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:44

Your welcome cahaya, but I would like to emphasize I try not to hold personal opinions on the matter simply because I am not educated enough to do so. But if I have to, from my limited learning it seems the evidences are stronger for the Niqab as Sunnah than as a Wajib. I would also like to point out that just as my personal view is not a scholarly source, neither is that of Michael Young; and his views are heterodox. In addition, the scholars he relies upon do not take orthodox positions or implement orthodox methodologies on the matter. I am not saying this for one to agree or disagree with him, but I am pointing out how it is perceived in orthodoxy whether one agrees with it or not.

Iskender Bey ALBO, one may attribute it to eastern tradition but if we are speaking cultural influences it is so that in what Muslims classically define as westerns, namely the North-African era, there are Amazigh (berber) tribes such as the Tuareg amongst whom the men cover their faces as well. From an orthodox perspective, the face veil for women is a religious matter and the reasons for it are found in the sources for Islamic law.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:49

Though this thread is very informative, the focus of this discussion is geared towards religion. Therefore, I will move it to the Intellectual discussion forum. Please continue.

Hamoudeh View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:52

Seko, it indeed defines and regulates itself. One could discuss if this is historically justified, if it is scholarly justified and if it is religiously justified from the primary sources. In my opinion it is in all three, but I can understand others disagreeing. The same can be said for hierarchy and influence, and from a historical perspective all thoughts and practice are to be taken into consideration. However, orthodoxy is what has dominated and dominates up to this day though evidently less as before. Because of this, our historical focus ought to consider orthodoxy first just like we would consider orthodoxy and catholicism in Christianity first, before exploring the views of that what they deem heterodox or heretic. Unfortunately this is often not that often done for as far as Islam is concerned, under the disguise of objectivity but in neglect of historicity. This is at least what I experience from my orientalist studies in classes and literature, and aside of historicity my personal giving of much value to orthodoxy emphasises the discontent.

Edited by Hamoudeh
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 15:01

You have joined a good forum that likes to discuss the historical origins of things.

To understand Orthodoxy maybe we should start by defining its origins as well. The laws that the Orthodox have created for themselves have evolved in time too. We can probably agree to take Muhammed as the starting point of religious (Islamic) practices. Now that I have written this, I can say that many of the practices we have in Islam started before him too. Maybe even start with earlier prophets like Abraham.

In a sense, lets understand when and where Orthodoxy originated and then continue onto how such practices were either regulated, kept and/or evolved or simply discarded.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 15:02
Originally posted by Seko

Though this thread is very informative, the focus of this discussion is geared towards religion. Therefore, I will move it to the Intellectual discussion forum. Please continue.

I know Mr Seko will move the topic here...

Well I understand ur concern mr hamoudeh... but my purpose in having this topic is to acknowledge muslims bros and sisters opinions regarding the practice of Hijab and Niqaab wearing... It is for sure tht for us to confirm a certain Hukum in Islam is beyond our capabilities due to our limitation in Islam knowledges...

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 15:02
Hamoudeh, I disagree. And please be assured I mean no insult by this - but the Koran says it is complete. What makes interpretations and additions to the Koran composed by Arabs any more legitimate than what has been established anywhere else in the Islamic world?

The only defense I've ever heard for this is, "Well, you can't read the Koran unless its in Arabic" - but many, if not most, Islamic scholars throughout the Islamic world - men and women who have formed completely different impressions that mainstream, Arab views - are fully capable of reading the Koran in Arabic.

The hadiths have been shown to contradict the Koran in many instances. Personally, and I know you will not truly believe this but I will say it anyway, my refusal to accept any of the hadiths, or to consult anyone or anything other than the Koran, is based more in fear of consequences than a desire to preserve my modern lifestyle. The Koran says it is complete and that nothing has been left out of this book. It says not to completely assume the opinions of others but also to always think, investigate, and ask our questions ourselves. I am fearful of doing otherwise.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 15:05
Originally posted by cahaya

Originally posted by Seko

I know Mr Seko will move the topic here...

Well I understand ur concern mr hamoudeh... but my purpose in having this topic is to acknowledge muslims bros and sisters opinions regarding the practice of Hijab and Niqaab wearing... It is for sure tht for us to confirm a certain Hukum in Islam is beyond our capabilities due to our limitation in Islam knowledges...

You know me well Cahaya!

It did take me a while to bring the thread here though.

Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 15:10
from Niqaab to Hijab.. Mila choose not to wear any of those.. ok Mila.. got ur point here...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>