Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Ottoman Slap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Ottoman Slap
    Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 10:36

After all the aggresive topics, i thought it would be fun to learn about the 'Osmanli Tokati'

The Osmanli tokat which translates to the Ottoman slap. Is a famous slap which was used during the wars. When the opponant of the Ottomans lost their weopans they would give them such a hard slap that the opponants skull would break. Or so the legends say.

Is famed for making a 'Shhrraakk' noise upon contact. Also known as the Besh Kardesh (five brothers), since the hand has five fingures.

At present freinds may give the 'Osmanli tokat' to freinds as a way of jest.

I would love to hear any contribution towards this part of Turkish culture.

Edited by OSMANLI
oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 11:31

the good old OSMANLI TOKATI, yep well wev all copped it once or twice, from our dads havnt we, expecially if ur a turk.

so the "osmanli tokat" was used as a war tactic...? interesting

Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
erci View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote erci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 12:14
I had mine when I was 10 or maybe a little younger.My father is soldier, imagine the consequences 
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 12:14

Janissaries were trained to slap opponents in unarmed combat by slapping clay, IIRC. They despised punching, as something that women do.

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 13:49
REALLY!!!, wow. So was there any special technique to it?
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 13:56

Hmm... maybe instead of Boxing, Ottoman Slapping should be an Olympic sport.

It would be quite interesting to watch!

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 13:58
Punching, something that women do? I hardly ever punch - I usually just grab them by their hair and bend my knee into their face until the fight is over.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:04
goshh... are u a wrestler Mila??? lol
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:56

So was there any special technique to it?

I think so, yes. Probably they aimed at the ear, or to the chin, to rotate the head suddenly, which is done in boxing, but this is poor guesswork.

Punching, something that women do?

Well, don't ask me why. It was looked down upon for being ungentlemanly. Maybe sissy like? I have no idea, really.

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 15:46
ouch! I have received one Tokat despite I was a civilian that time and I can tell you it can turn you deaf! What about if they were trained!
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Suspended

Quote Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 21:21
It's ironic that a warrior nation like the Turks would consider slapping manly, when contemporary culture labels it womanly.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 22:57
The funny thing is that when a person of superior postion (officer) does that you are also supposed to take it like a man.
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 03:45
I read somewhere that some of the children taken as Janissaries were trained like this: They slapped the rocks for hours everyday. After years they had HUGE hands. One slap of them was enough for breaking the neck of the enemy
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 11:04

This is too funny, never heard of the slap

oTToMAn_TurK
"yep well wev all copped it once or twice, from our dads havnt we,"
The best I know is the old flying slipper across the room, at the head

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 11:11

this slapping thing... same like wht the people Malay land fear during the invasion of Japanese army on WW2... the story keep on passing from generation to generation... but i dont know whether the japanese did trained their army in order to slap civilian... lol...

But other famous torture they always did which i heard from old folks story was, this cruel army pumped soap water into the civilian until full and they stepped on the poor victim stomach till water came out .. (from any parts tht allow water to come out) .. cause very severe pain... urghh!! gross....

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 14:21

Originally posted by kotumeyil

I read somewhere that some of the children taken as Janissaries were trained like this: They slapped the rocks for hours everyday. After years they had HUGE hands. One slap of them was enough for breaking the neck of the enemy

yea now i remember it back, it whas 2 marmer stones on their 2 hands they had to brake with slapping. Those where special trained jannisarry's ive heard. And their favorit food to eat whas "yagli kadmer".

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 15:47

Iam sorry iam not familier with 'Yagli Kadmer'. What is it, some sort of a oily dish or something.

Also is there any books or any sources where i can learn about this practise. Because all i know about it is form word of mouth.

Ollios View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Ollios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2013 at 10:41

Turkish

Edited by Ollios - 26-Oct-2013 at 10:42
Ellerin Kabe'si var,
Benim Kabem İnsandır
yomud View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
Inactive

Quote yomud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2013 at 03:17
lol is it a real ?  LOL
yomud are free people
 Post Reply Post Reply