Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rapist sentenced to 20 years

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rapist sentenced to 20 years
    Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 22:14
Ahmici furious with weak sentence for Bralo

Ahmici, Bosnia and Herzegovina - "This is the tree they tied me to," explained Adjana Demirovic.

"Here is where my father was standing when they shot him. My mother they hit with their guns, here, until she was dead. Then they came to me. After they left I remained for most of the next day until my brother found me."

The Demirovic family is among those furious the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia handed down what they say is a weak sentence in the Miroslav Bralo case.

The former Bosnian Croat paramilitary who raped and murdered dozens of Bosnian Muslims, mainly women and girls, during the 1990s war was sentenced to 20 years in prison for war crimes.

The tribunal took into consideration Bralo's "sincere remorse" and his gesture of good will in helping locate the bodies of his victims in deciding the appropriate sentence.

His unit, called the Jokers, rampaged through Muslim villages in central Bosnia in 1993 during a major Bosnian Croat offensive on Bosnian Serb positions.

In Ahmici, Bralo's unit blew up a mosque during prayers, killing among others the whole of two families, including nine children. Dozens more were raped and murdered, including one girl of 6 years and two of 8.

He took at least one woman as a permanant prisoner, repeatedly raping her in front of his colleagues during the two months he held her captive.

"The trial chamber accepts that his remorse is indeed sincere and heartfelt and that he has undergone a personal transformation since the commission of his crimes," the Judge said.

Bralo surrendered to the tribunal a year ago and pleaded not guilty to the original 1995 indictment, which included nine counts of grave breaches of the Geneva Conventions and 12 of violations of the laws and customs of war.

But he later agreed an unconditional plea bargain with UN prosecutors on a simplified indictment that added the charge of persecution, a crime against humanity.

"It's not enough. They should total the number of years he stole from the people he killed and sentence him," Demirovic insisted.

Edited by Mila
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 23:12
Prison?  Either ship him back to Ahmici or here so I can finish him off - rapists do not deserve to live or enojoy the benefits of a civilized legal system seing as they are not.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 00:16
A benevolent punishment is execution. 20 years is a joke. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 01:08

the best is to "cut him short".....  so he wont be a full funtion male..  

Is it a logic punishment?

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 01:44
Originally posted by cahaya

the best is to "cut him short".....  so he wont be a full funtion male..  

Is it a logic punishment?

I would agree for the "common" rapist but for such a war criminal... just put him down like a mad dog.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 03:23

Wow! this is insane.

20 years for his war crimes! ridiculous!

I am generally against capital punishment, but even I have no reservations about death penelty for "War Criminals" convicted of such crimes. Probably what saved him was his "remorse".

They say he has "sincere remorse", thats a joke!, his initial plea was not guilty. I am sure he would do it again for "Croats"  if he had a chance, animals like him never change. In any case, I have never seen war criminals not pretend to look remorseful when caught.

The Nuremberg Nazi's looked remorseful, Goering particularly so. Yamash*ta looked remorseful, I even felt a little sorry for him! The Croat general caught in the Spanish Canary Islands recently will look remorseful very soon, for sure.

Only Saddam continues to look and talk arrogantly, and we all know he lives on another planet.

20 years for his large scale killings, rapings etc. is pathetic.  

Gary Glitter will probably get worse!

Should have been death.

Edited by amir khan
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 06:04
This was rape as a tool of terror and hate, different from rape for rape's sake.  I agree with castration for ordinary rapists, for him definately death.
Tuman Yabgu View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Tuman Yabgu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 06:23

You kill many non-combattant, you maim many non-combattants, you physically, sexually and mentally scar many non-combattants and you get 20 years jail? !!!!

1 life = 1 life, he deserves death sentences as the amount he ended.

So sad.

May God provide his blessing upon his victims and every decent man and woman on earth.

Edited by Tuman Yabgu
The truth is out there!

"Borders? I have never seen one, but heard they exist on the minds of most of people" Prof. Thor Heyerdahl
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 06:48
With his case no punishment can fully compensate, even with "eye for an eye" style punishments. He raped and he killed, you can't produce a sentance that will deliver that much loss to him.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 09:42
I do appreciate it when they show remorse. There is no way to tell if they are truly being sincere, but at the very least you can be certain they know what they did is considered wrong in popular, world opinion. At the very least they don't feel they can express their true views in public. That, in my heart, is a significant victory because for so long hatred was official policy here. You could say literally anything about any group of people and at least one other would cheer for you in the streets.

The sentence is a little short, for me, though. It just frustrates me because we haven't even identified all the bodies yet, in fact, we haven't even found them all. Our towns and villages are not rebuilt. There's still people who went into the cafes to watch the day Slobodan Milosevic's trial started who are still sitting there, waiting.

And already the first round of those charged and sentenced are nearing the end of their sentences - for example:

A survivor faces her tormentor
By Sandro Contenta, Prijedor, Bosnia and Herzegovina

A few days ago, Nusreta Sivac came face to face with the man who ran the concentration camp where she was raped and others were killed.

It's not uncommon in today's Bosnia for victims and perpetrators of a war that ended in 1995 to cross paths. And nowhere is this more likely than in the Prijedor area, where Muslim victims of ethnic cleansing by Bosnian Serbs are returning in force.

For Sivac, a pre-war civil court judge who returned in 1999, the chance encounter was especially charged with emotion. Walking towards her was Miroslav Kvocka, a Bosnian Serb she testified against at the war crimes tribunal in The Hague. He was released two months ago, after serving two thirds of a seven-year sentence for war crimes.

Sivac gathered up her courage. I hadn't seen him since the trial, she says, and suddenly there he was, walking arm-in-arm with his wife, a Bosniak (Muslim) who was my childhood friend. They looked so proud.

Maybe they thought I would be afraid. But I looked him right in the eyes, and he lowered his head, says Sivac, 52.

It was a moment of personal triumph for the survivor of Omarska camp, where 3,000 Bosnian Muslims and Bosnian Croats were tortured and starved. On one of Prijedor's bleak streets, human dignity had prevailed.

http://www.bosnia.org.uk/bosrep/report_format.cfm?articleid= 1095&reportid=164
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 10:08
Be glad he wasn't tried in Sweden; he'd have a "naughty,naughty!" and three months conditional sentence.

Edited by Styrbiorn
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 10:15
Hahaha - sounds like female defendants here. I tell you, women can get away with anything in Bosnia and Herzegovina. Very rarely will it even get to the courts, and even then - just dress nicely, act politely, and blame everything on the frustration that your man either won't let you - or don't have a man to - serve.

"But your honor, she killed 17 people with a hammer and nails?"

"And you tell me, what did her husband do that night, before all this happened?"

"But your honor..."

"Answer the question!"

"He cooked dinner himself... "

Edited by Mila
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 10:59
Send him to Texas, he'll pay the price down there. They love their executions, atleast the court system does.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 11:55

What a sick son of a bitch, I don't think death is harsh enough for this bastard.  Send him to an American prison where he can be raped and forced to feel the physical, emotional, and psychological pain he forced on all those people.

To hell with his human rights, this guy isn't a human being, he's a disgusting little worm.

Member of IAEA
jiangweibaoye View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote jiangweibaoye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 12:27
Originally posted by Genghis

What a sick son of a bitch, I don't think death is harsh enough for this bastard.  Send him to an American prison where he can be raped and forced to feel the physical, emotional, and psychological pain he forced on all those people.

To hell with his human rights, this guy isn't a human being, he's a disgusting little worm.

Genghis,

Totally agree.  All countries should observe Human Rights, but in the situation of genocide and rape, all bets are off.  This man and his "men" deserves death and anything short of that is a great injustice to mankind.

It also angers me that the American media has not made this well known. 

Jiangwei

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 12:29
A few years ago...

A group of Bosnian Muslim orphans chats in front of a destroyed mosque in the central Bosnian village of Ahmici Friday, March 3, 2000. The U.N. war crimes tribunal for ex-Yugoslavia in the Hague found former Bosnian Croat General Tihomir Blaskic guilty for orchestarting etchnic cleansing campaign against Bosnian Moslems during the country's 1992-95 war and sentenced him to 45 years in prison. Residents of Ahmici insist a Bosnian Croat paramilitary, Miroslav Bralo, should be the man behind bars. His group, nicknamed the Jokers, left Ahmici with a ratio of one adult for every 32 people under the age of 18.

Bosnian Croats lighting candles for their dearest killed by the Muslim-led Bosnian Army during the 1992-95 Bosnian war, on April 16, 2000, in the central Bosnian village of Ahmici. Three Bosnian Muslim commanders, accused of war crimes by the Hague Tribunal, pleaded innocent on Thursday to 19 counts of war crimes, saying they should not be held responsible for the execution of at least 118 Bosnian Croat paramilitaries, prisoners of war protected under the Geneva Conventions, captured following a vicious attack on Ahmici during the Bosnian war.

^ I'd say that picture is wrong, but I know what they say happened really did. And the cross is very clearly a Catholic cross - but I can't understand why the Serbian flag is on one of the wreaths? The Serbs and Croats cannot be friends. They're bad enough on us fighting, when we can choose to be on one of their sides or the other. If they come together against us, we'll be f--ked with a capital J.

Edited by Mila
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 12:37
Can the victims plead for re-trial? Ask for more ... better or suitable punishment?
amir khan View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote amir khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 12:58

Originally posted by Mila

The sentence is a little short, for me, though.

I understand you speak in the spirit of reconciliation, but I still think the sentance should be a LOT more. For justice and maybe for future deterrance.

Edited by amir khan
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 17:33
Life at least i should think.
Arrrgh!!"
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 18:09

Originally posted by Constantine XI

With his case no punishment can fully compensate, even with "eye for an eye" style punishments. He raped and he killed, you can't produce a sentance that will deliver that much loss to him.

True won't necessary compensate the losses, neither executing him. However, punishing him will teach others. I wish his sentance was reduced from execution to life in prison. Let him rotten the rest of his life in a single jail room.

D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>