Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Global warming news

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Global warming news
    Posted: 27-Sep-2004 at 16:43
Denying human induced climate change is the same as denying evolution. I already replied to this somewhere but I cannot find the link, so here it is again;

Global warming is very real and man-made. The 'experts' who don't agree are all funded by the Oil industry. Especially by companies like Exxon, who unlike other oil companies does not invest in renewable energy. They are funding a huge misinformation campaign. The deniers have various tactics, such as; >>

a. Denying the existence of global warming. Which is no longer sustainable, given the overwhelming consensus in the scientific community. Note that the current US administration holds this position- making them factual Lysenkoists. [Note that this has recently changed- Now even the Bush administration admits it] As a side note, saying that 'in the 70s they feared an ice age, so today we can dismiss global warming' is ridiculous.>>

b. Denying the human causes of global warming (attributing it to natural temperature fluctiations). Which ignores the physics of greenhouse effect.>>

c. Denying the dangers of global warming. Which is the position I'd go for if I was an Oil company propagandist, but nevertheless wrong, and not to mention dangerous.>>

Here are the answers;>>

a. Global warming is a fact. It is not disputed any longer in the scientific community- except for a corporate funded 'research' fringe. For instance, the website 'www.globalwarming.org' [Note: someone gave this link as a reliable source in the previous discussion] belongs to the Cooler Heads Coalition. The director of that coalition is Myron Ebell, who was the Former National Policy Director, 'Frontiers of Freedom' (an organisation which calls itself 'the anti-thesis of Green movement', and received 467,000 USD funding from Exxon since 1998). Ebell also happens to be the Director of Global Warming and International Environmental Policy at the 'Competitive Enterprise Institute' (a conservative think-tank 'at the centre of global warming misinformation campaign', which received 1,465,000 USD funding from Exxon since 1998).>>

b. Some people deny the human causes of global warming. This is again the consensus in the scientific community. Questions from George Monbiot (he's a famous columnist/political activist/environment expert);>>

1. Does the atmosphere contain carbon dioxide? >>

2. Does atmospheric carbon dioxide influence global temperatures? >>

3. Will that influence be enhanced by the addition of more carbon dioxide? >>

4. Have human activities led to a net emission of carbon dioxide?>>

'Yes' is the answer to all these questions- answering 'no' means you're 'parting your ways with basic physics'. >>

c. Is climate change something to be afraid of. It is insane to think otherwise. Even Pentagon claims that it is the greatest danger to security worldwide. The climate is a delicate and chaotic system and so many things can go so wrong that you wouldn't believe. Certain things are already happening- like areas becoming 'uninsurable' due to hurricanes and forest fires, thousands dying from heat waves, crop failures due to draught and rising of the sea levels (goodbye Netherlands!), melting of glaciers on mountain ranges. >>

Larger scale catastrophes may also happen in the future. To list some from memory;>>

- Massive melting of the Antarctic Ice (it is already melting) disturbs the Golf Stream, turning Europe into Siberia or Canada (take a map and look where NW Europe corresponds in the American continent, compare their climates). >>

- It is estimated that the global temperature increase can reach 6 degrees celcius by the end of the 21st century. What does that mean? Well, 4 degrees is the temperature difference between now and the last ice age. And the last time the temperature increased by 6 degrees, some chemical reactions were triggered, details of which I forgot (things like release of the carbon trapped in tar pits, or the methane in seabed), accelerating the greenhouse effect to no end and subsequently causing a total collapse of the climate system. As a result 90% of all species were killed. That's of course the worse case scenario. >>

So, what can we do about it? We don't need to dismantle the whole industrial economy, but we need to curb certain emmissions. Kyoto treaty is just a tentative first step, very insufficient, but some greedy countries won't even accept that. Surely, the capitalist idiots who rule most countries will never react to the danger unless their asses are on fire. Then the people will make the companies comply, don't you worry. I hope it won't be too late.>>

Here are my sources; >>

www.exxonsecrets.org (this is like the best website I've ever seen, you should see it)>>

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/category/climate-change/>>

especially these articles;>>

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2004/04/27/the-fossil-fools/>>

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2003/07/01/shadow-of-extinct ion/>>

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 06:00
Bush administration finally admitted the existence of man-made global warming.

Russia joins the Kyoto Treaty;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3702640.stm

Haiti hit by hurricanes, 2000 dead ;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3697086.stm
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 14:58
I like warm weather, I live in a not so warm place, I say, bring on the global warming!
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 15:11
Do want the more severe storms that come with it?
Arrrgh!!"
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 15:17

Do you mean hurricanes? In which case yes. I live in the center of the country, what happens to coastalers isn't my problem.

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 15:19
Netherlands will be half underwater in 2200 already without global warning because the soil gradually gets lower (because of pumping away the water).
With global warning half the Netherlands will be under water before 2100 already.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 15:38
Do you mean hurricanes? In which case yes. I live in the center of the country, what happens to coastalers isn't my problem.

More severe huricanes would affect a greater area, and if they are more frequent and cause more damage, then the economy still has to absorb it.

Netherlands will be half underwater in 2200

Its already half under water almost
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 16:04
To get an idea:

the Netherlands now

the Netherlands with everyting below sea level under water

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 16:22
At least Utrecht is safe. And those Amsterdammer hippies will be glad they decided to live on boats.
Arrrgh!!"
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 16:31
Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

Netherlands will be half underwater in 2200 already without global
warning because the soil gradually gets lower (because of pumping away
the water).
With global warning half the Netherlands will be under water before 2100 already.

Well, it's not that is hasn't happened before. Those Lowlanders will surely start dikein' again. Zuiderzee II coming up.
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 19:26

The only way that global warming has affected the severity of the storms in my part of the world...........is all the bad ones have been hitting Florida and the east coast. 

For the past 10 years or so, most of the really big ones have missed the Texas and Louisiana coasts.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 20:21
Hmm, as for Florida recently, huricanes go in 20 year cycles, and at the moment the cycle is at its peak, so there is nothing out of the ordniary going on there, yet.

But if the earth warms up, then the oceans warm up which means more energy released in such storms.
Arrrgh!!"
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 21:05
Hurricanes are also eating up the Louisiana bayou, which is disappearing at the rate of 33 (100 meter American Football) football fields a day.

As much as I love history, you can't deny that humans have screwed things up a lot and continue to do so.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 01:24

Can I have just a little bit of rain please ?
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 14:44
I don't think it's man made, I think we're coming out of the "little ice age" that started during the 1300's.  I've also read a lot about it on the internet, people thought it was getting colder in the 70's and they were wrong.  I think that in 20 years we'll reminisce about how scared we were about global warming.
Member of IAEA
 Post Reply Post Reply