Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"Go home, already!"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Go home, already!"
    Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 13:22
The headline is a humorous summary, I hope.

When northern Bosnia and Herzegovina was ethnically cleansed of their Bosniak and Bosnian Croat populations, there was a vast swath of the nation where many cities, towns, and villages remained completely in ruins and empty.

When Croatia began the Lightning Operation, during which it reclaimed the 75 per cent of its territory which had been occupied by Serbia since 1991, it also created 250,000 Croatian Serb refugees.

Most of them settled in these devastated cities, towns, and villages in northern Bosnia and Herzegovina. This made it difficult for Bosniak and Bosnian Croat refugees who survived the war to reclaim their homes and communities.

Most Bosniaks opted instead to build new communities outside the boundaries of their hometowns, rather than deal with the tension of reclaiming homes in communities that were now 100 per cent Serb-populated. This was especially difficult because it wasn't like they were moving to a city where the Serbs were born and remained the whole war, where suffering was for the most part limited. They were returning to areas with citizens not from Bosnia and Herzegovina who did not understand what the Bosniaks and Bosnian Croats had suffered while they were celebrating in the newly Orthodox-only streets of Croatia. Since both sides were victimized, both sides were especially aggressive against the other.

Now - finally - Croatia is trying to bring some of these Serbs back so Bosniaks and Bosnian Croats can reclaim their communities in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

BANJA LUKA, December 7 The Croatian Governments campaign for refugee return under the slogan Where there is place for all Croatia is a home for all her citizens!, was presented on Wednesday in Banja Luka and will conclude until December 15 in Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Serbia and Montenegro.

The Croatian Government, the OSCE Mission and their partners delegations of European Commission and UNHCR - have launched this campaign on return and reintegration of refugees and displaced persons, together with TV clips, posters, radio jingles and other promotion material.

The aim of the campaign is to provide the relevant information to the refugees who live outside Croatia so that they could make a decision to return and contribute to creating a positive climate in the Republic of Croatia for return and promoting importance of establishing dialogue in the society based on European values.

Croatian Ambassador to BiH Josip Vrbosic told a press conference that his government wishes to raise the awareness of the Croatian public on sustaining return and create an advantageous ambiance for sustaining return.

With this campaign we are delivering information to the refugees that live outside Croatia on the grounds of which they could be able to reach a reasonable decision on return to Croatia, said Ambassador Vrbosic.

The campaign was launched on December 1 in Zagreb and during the next week, it will be presented in Belgrade and Podgorica.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 20:45
It's good signal. I fear it won't work well though. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 21:03
It'll work for the good Serbs who miss their homes in Croatia and want to return - and that's the people who it should work for, and I'm glad.

The nationalists know they're more annoying in Bosnia, so they'll stay here.
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 21:13
Originally posted by Mila

It'll work for the good Serbs who miss their homes in Croatia and want to return - and that's the people who it should work for, and I'm glad.

i.e. Banja Luka and the dipslay they put after Serbia won that qualifying game.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 21:16
Hehehe - things like that usually aren't as bad as they seem. You know what Bosnians are like...

My friend Eva, she's Jewish. She said to me on my birthday, "I didn't get you anything. There was a terrorist bombing in Netanya yesterday, five Israelies died, I thought that would be present enough."

And Mirjana calls me a T-rkish wh--e all the time. .

Some of those people might actually have Muslim and Catholic friends, it's just our nature to be that way when something happens.

If Turkey, Croatia, or Italy had beat Bosnia and Herzegovina you'd see a few people out in the streets as well, I'm sure.
ill_teknique View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote ill_teknique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 21:49
It was messed up here too.  Especially the crookedness of the game did not help to ease post game tensions lol.
Jay. View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Jay. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2005 at 21:08

Originally posted by Mila

Uhh, what makes "them" so annoying?

YuGo View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote YuGo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2005 at 17:09

As a person from Bosnia and Herzegovina, it seems like a good idea! Although I doubt most of these refugees will ever return to their former homes. It is not because they want to annoy Bosnia, but it goes deeper than that, and in reality it differs from person to person. I mean, would the average Bosniak family from Srebrenica, Banja Luka, Prijedor, Trebinje etc. be excited to return to their former homes? The same is for Serbs from Knin, Gospic, Pakrac, Karlovac, Jasenovac, etc. I know in Teslic, we have large population of Serbs from central Bosnia and Herzegovina aswell. Places like Travnik, Tuzla, Maglaj, Zenica, and the Herzegovenian town of Mostar have virtually no Serbs left. In all these places, whether it was crimes against Muslims, Croats or Serbs it is hard for the minorities to retearn to these towns. I am sure you know, it would be hard to find a job, feel uneasy about letting your children go to school that teaches them biased information (from whichever side).. the list goes on, I just wanted to let that out, and to say that it is not as Black and white as some people might think. It has been 10 years since the war, are these families ready to start their life over again for the second time!?

Anyways. I am happy the Croatian government is doing this, it shows they have moved on a lot since the early 90's.. Hopefully the same kind of things will be done for muslims, and Croats to return to RS, and same for Serbs to Federation.

Edited by YuGo
 Post Reply Post Reply