Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nasreddin Hodja Stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nasreddin Hodja Stories
    Posted: 05-Dec-2005 at 17:23

Nasreddin Hodja is Turkey's (and perhaps all of Islam's) best-known pranksters.  Nasreddin reputedly was born in 1208 in the village of Horto near Sivrihisar. As many as 350 anecdotes have been attributed to the Hodja, as he most often is called. Hodja is a title meaning teacher or scholar.

PLease click here for a bigger view

Do you have any Hodja stories to share?

Eat, My Coat, Eat

The Hodja was invited to a banquet. Not wanting to be pretentious, he wore his everyday clothes, only to discover that everyone ignored him, including the host. So he went back home and put on his fanciest coat, and then returned to the banquet. Now he was greeted cordially by everyone and invited to sit down and eat and drink.

When the soup was served to him he dunked the sleeve of his coat into the bowl and said, "Eat, my coat, eat!"

The startled host asked the Hodja to explain his strange behavior.

"When I arrived here wearing my other clothes," explained the Hodja, "no one offered me anything to eat or drink. But when I returned wearing this fine coat, I was immediately offered the best of everything, so I can only assume that it was the coat and not myself who was invited to your banquet."

Edited by Seko
oTToMAn_TurK View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote oTToMAn_TurK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 11:02

i love nasreddin hoca stories, i no heaps. but im afraid if i tranlsate then the original humour will disappear. yet i'l try...

One day a man was on a tree picking apples. our nasreddin hoca was walking by and realised it was time for prayer. not realising the man on the tree, the hoca went to the shade of that tree and began to pray.

after he prayed he then said this, "oh allah, plz accept my prayer"

the man on the tree decided to play a joke by saying "i dont accept"

the hoca got surprised, then said it again "oh allah, plz accept my prayer"

the man once again said "i dont accept"

now the hoca was really confused and said "oh allah, plz accept my prayer"

the guy said it again "i dont accept"

then the hoca got up in fury and sed "ok then, dont accept, i didnt have wudu anyway!!"

wudu/abdest = a wash that muslims MUST do before prayer

Either your a slave to what MADE-MAN
Or your a slave to what MAN-MADE
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 11:31
In Bosnia we have him also - here he is called
Nasrudin Hodza. A lot of times he's used for morals
and warnings - like there is one where there is a
huge riot happening in the marketplace, and he
says: Hey! They give away free cevap sausages on
the other side of town! And everyone runs and then
he thinks: Hey? Maybe they are? Everyone is
running? And he runs himself. Moral for wars here.

Okay, a few story:

In the past, the educated men would travel all around
Bosnia to find the proof their needed to make fact of
their theories and ideas.

One day three of these men arrived in Sarajevo and
called on the governor, asking him to bring the most
educated man of the whole city to the marketplace
the next day - this was to see if they could profit from
his ideas.

As he was the most educated man, Nasrudin Hodza
was told of this and the next day he was there,
waiting for what became a battle of wits.

A big crowd of Sarajevans gathered for the event and
then one of the educated men stepped out and said
to Hodza:

"Could you tell us what is the exact location of the
centre of the world?"

"Yes I can," said Hodza, "It is just under the left back
leg of my donkey."

"Well, maybe!" said the educated man, "But do you
got any proof?"

"If you doubt my words, just measure him and see,"
Hodza said.

There was nothing more to be said, so the educated
man backed away.

"Let me ask you this," said the second educated
man. "Can you tell me how many stairs there are in
the heavens?"

"As many as the hairs on my donkey," Hodza said.

"What proof do you have to support this statement!?"
the educated man asked.

"If you have doubt, feel free to count them and find
out," Hodza replied.

"Come now, Hodza! How can anyone count the hairs
on your donkey?" said the educated man.

"Well, when it comes to that, how can anyone count
the stars in the skies?"

Then there was silence from the second educated
man, and when he backed away the third stepped
forward.

"Since you seem so well acquainted with your
donkey," he said, laughing at Hodza, "Can you tell to
us how many hairs there are on the tail of this
beast."

"Certainly," replied Hodza. "As many as the hairs in
your beard."

"And how can you prove that?" the man asked.

"Very easily, if you have no objection! I can pull one
hair from your beard for each hair you can pull off my
donkey's tail. If both hairs are not exhausted at the
same time, then I will admit to have been mistaken."

Needless to explain, the third man had no want to try
this, and the Hodza was cheered as the champion of
the battle of wits and Bosnia remained the place with
the most educated man!
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 11:50

Nasreddin Hodja

Flour was put on the string

One of the Hodja neighbours once needed some string to use as for his clothing line. The neighbour went to the Hodja and said:

"My Hodja, i havent got enough string, could you please give one of your spare ones".

However the Hodja did not want to give any string, however he could not simply say that he did not want to give the string. So he went inside his house, and wasted a bit of time inorder to make it seem like he was looking for the string. Although he had no intention to give the string.

He went back to his door and starting by saying:

"iam afraid to say that i will be unable to give the string to you, this is becouse my wife has put flour on the string"

The neighbour was shocked, and responded:

"How can one put flour onto string"

The Hodja responded in by saying:

"Lets not make this go on my neighbour, The way in which i havent got the heart to give the string is the same way in which flour can be put on string."

Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 13:46

The villagers come to the Hodja (who is the wise man of the village), and ask 'My Hodja, do the people with big dicks get more pleasure out of sex?' Hodja replies 'No. They carry the burden, but someone else enjoys it.'

Probably most Nasreddin Hodja jokes were about sex. This is an original one from Turkey.

You see, the versions of folk tales today are censored. They used to be full of non-modernity-compatible medieval concepts and events, which we wouldn't tell our children. But in medieval times people were not politically correct clean inoffensive middle class people, they were ignorant and smelly peasants.

For instance, did you know that the sleeping beauty was not just kissed by the Prince, in order to be waken up?  Or that the witch stepmother of Snow White was tortured quite extensively to make the ending happier in the original version?

OSMANLI View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote OSMANLI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:01

I doubt that Nasreddin Hoca would talk about sex in such a manner.

Nasreddin Hoca is a real person that existed. A Hoca is unlikely to talk in such a manner.

Perhaps such stories were made after his death.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:22

He died in Konya - Aksaray

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 14:39
never heard of him in my entire life....
Beylerbeyi View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Beylerbeyi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 15:04

Perhaps such stories were made after his death.

Not perhaps, surely. He became a folk figure, stories were attributed to him. As to what he would have said, and not have said, we don't really know. We don't really know if he really existed. I am not sure Hodja Nasreddin is the one from Aksaray, because even the Pakistanis tell his stories. He is more likely to be a folk tale figure. Like Keloglan, for instance.

kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 18:43

Those adult stories are decipheredfrom the old texts in Ottoman script by Prof. Dr. Pertev Naili Boratav in his book "Nasreddin Hoca". His tales were censored and "tamed" in the modern times. In fact, these tales are very much like the ones in the "Decameron" of Boccaccio in the sense of adultry and moral freedom. Two stories from that book:

When Hodja leaves his house he sees that someone shat in front of the door. One day, two days,... this continues. One day he decides to observe what's happening. After a while, a boy comes and sh*ts in front of the door. Hodja catches him and asks: "What are you doing?! Whose son are you?!" The boy says:" I'm the son of the God's sister!" Then Hodja takes him to thegate of a mosque and says: "Then sh*t in front of your uncle's door!"

Second one:

One day Hodja's wife learns that having sex in the evening brings merit of God as if you sacrifice a sheep; having sex at midnight brings merit of God as if you sacrifice a camel and having sex at dawn brings merit of God as if you set a slave free. When they go to bed in the evening she says to Hodja:"Let's gain merit of God as if we sacrifice a sheep" and they have sex. At midnight she says: "Let's gain merit of God as if we sacrifice a camel" and they have sex. At dawn again she says: "  Let's gain merit of God as if we set a slave free" and the tired Hodja says  "You can gain that merit if you set me free!" 

There are also very hardcore stories but I don't want my post to be deleted!

[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2005 at 19:11

We have jokes about him in Afghanistan too.  They call him "Mullah Nasruddin"

Heres one of them:

NASRUDDIN WENT INTO A SHOP TO BUY A PAIR OF TROUSERS.  THEN HE CHANGED HIS MIND AND CHOSE A CLOAK INSTEAD, AT THE SAME PRICE.

PICKING UP THE CLOAK HE LEFT THE SHOP.  "YOU HAVE NOT PAID," SHOUTED THE MERCHANT. "I LEFT YOU THE TROUSERS, WHICH WERE OF THE SAME VALUE AS THE CLOAK."  "BUT YOU DID NOT PAY FOR THE TROUSERS EITHER.

OF COURSE NOT,SAID MULLAH ;WHY SHOULD I PAY FOR SOMETHING THAT I DID NOT WANT TO BUY?"

Edited by Afghanan
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 05:27

Nasreddin (also commonly spelled Nasrudin, Nasredin, Nasruddin, Nasr Eddin, Nastradhin, Nasreddine, Nastratin, Nusrettin) was a lower Muslim cleric who lived in Central Asia during the Middle Ages. His name is often preceded or followed by the title of a religious scholar, theological teacher, or man of wisdom: "Khwaje", "Hodja", "Hoca", "Hogea", "Hodza", "Chotzas", "Mullah", "Mulla", "Molla", "Maulana".

Nasreddin was a populist philosopher and wise man, remembered for his funny stories and anecdotes. He often appears as a whimsical character of a large Persian, Arab, and Turkish folk tradition of vignettes, not entirely different from zen koans.

Where and when he was born, and where and when he died, are not known with certainty, but he is usually assumed to have lived in Anatolia or Persia between the 11th and the 14th century. He is well known among various Eastern people. Possibly due to the fact that his stories are shared among pilgrims to Mecca, his humor is familiar, under different names, to people from China, Central Asia, and Morocco. There is a modern tomb dedicated to him in the city of Akşehir in Turkey. He is also the symbol of Akşehir, which hosts several statues of Nasreddin Hoca and an international festival dedicated to him. The city of Bukhara in Uzbekistan also has a statue of him riding his donkey backwards and grasping its tail (as he is traditionally depicted), and journals bear his name in Baku, Azerbaijan and Tabriz, Iran.

The anecdotes attributed to him reveal a satirical personality with a biting tongue that he was not afraid to use even against the most tyrannical sultans of his time. He seems to be the symbol of both the Central Asian style satirical comedy and the rebellious feelings of people against the dynasties that once ruled this geography. A recent study on historical written sources by Pertev Naili Boratav revealed that there also exist a large collection of stories attributed to Nasreddin, which dominantly possess political incorrectness or challenge the order and values of the society.

Some mystic traditions use jokes, stories and poetry to express certain ideas, allowing the bypassing of the normal discriminative thought patterns. The rationality that confines and objectifies the thinking process is the opposite to the intuitive, gestalt mentality that the mystic is attempting to engage, enter and retain.

By developing a series of impacts that reinforce certain key ideas, the rational mind is occupied with a surface meaning whilst other concepts are introduced. Thus paradox, unexpectedness, and alternatives to convention are all expressed. These are among the reasons why people laugh at the tales of Hodja Nasrudin. Although there are several books that attempt to put together the many jokes attributed to him, most people encounter his jokes in the context of their daily lives. Often, a Nasreddin joke is told by one party when the other party makes the kind of mistake that Nasreddin had parodied.

Some tales of Nasreddin are also adapted and used as teaching stories by followers of Sufism. This is such a common practice that, given the nature of many of Nasreddin's jokes, multiple interpretations (or several 'layers' of meaning) are to be expected. Idries Shah, a well-known Sufi and writer, published a number of collections of Nasrudin stories (see list below), and suggested that the stories' various layers of meaning have a teaching-effect.

Mark Twain's Library of Humor includes a story attributed to Nasreddin Hoja.

In some Bulgarian folklore tales originated during the Ottoman rule, the name appears as an antagonist to a local wise man, named Hitar Petar (Хитър Петър, meaning "cunning Peter").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulla_Nasruddin
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 05:30

Two sides of a river

Nasrudin sat on a river bank
when someone shouted to him
from the opposite side:

"Hey! how do I get across?"
"You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.
Frederick Roger View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Frederick Roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 17:26
Boy, Nasredinn Hodja tales travel far. He is somewhat known in Portugal too.

Edited by Frederick Roger
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 18:38

Good reference Land of Aryans,

I didn't know initially who was Nasreddin Hodja, I guess he is the same man of the famous folk tales and stories named in the Arab world as Djoha. 

My favourite tale is the pot tale:

One day Djoha needed a bigger pot for cooking so he went to his neighbor and asked him for his pot. The neighbor gave Djoha the pot but after demanding careful use of it and tons of instructions of what he cannot do. Djoha was annoyed but he took the pot regardless.

Two days later, the neighbor came knocking hard the door of Djoha and he demanded his pot. Djoha brought the big pot, however there was a small pot inside the neigbhor's pot.

The neighbor wondering, he inquired Djoha "What is this small pot with my pot?". Djoha said "This is your pot but it became pregnant and gave birth to this small pot, so both pots for you".  The neighbor was surprised but he accepted both pots gladly and went back to his house extremely happy.

Next day, Djoha came and asked for the same pot from his neighbor. The neighbor this time happily gave the pot to Djoha. However, Djoha never returned the pot for a week. The neighbor came this time angry and knocked the door hard. Djoha opened the door and the neighbor initiated with an anger statement "Where is my pot Djoha?". Djoha responded calmly "I'm deeply sorry but your pot passed away my neighbor".  The neighbor said "How can a pot die Djoha? Are you insane?". Djoha responded "If you believed a pot can give birth the first time, why can't you believe it died?"

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 19:15
Originally posted by ok ge

Good reference Land of Aryans,

I didn't know initially who was Nasreddin Hodja, I guess he is the same man of the famous folk tales and stories named in the Arab world as Djoha. 

My favourite tale is the pot tale:

One day Djoha needed a bigger pot for cooking so he went to his neighbor and asked him for his pot. The neighbor gave Djoha the pot but after demanding careful use of it and tons of instructions of what he cannot do. Djoha was annjoyed but he took the pot regardless.

Two days later, the neighbor came knocking hard the door of Djoha and he demanded his pot. Djoha brought the big pot, however there was a small pot inside the neigbhor's pot.

The neighbor wondering, he inquired Djoha "What is this small pot with my pot?". Djoha said "This is your pot but it became pregnant and gave birth to this small pot, so both pots for you".  The neighbor was surprised but he accepted both pots gladly and went back to his house extremely happy.

Next day, Djoha came and asked for the same pot from his neighbor. The neighbor this time happily gave the pot to Djoha. However, Djoha never returned the pot for a week. The neighbor came this time angry and knocked the door hard. Djoha opened the door and the neighbor initiated with an anger statement "Where is my pot Djoha?". Djoha responded calmly "I'm deeply sorry but your pot passed away my neighbor".  The neighbor said "How can a pot die Djoha? Are you insane?". Djoha responded "If you believed a pot can give birth the first time, why can't you believe it died?"

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 22:41
Nastradin and his donkey are very well known in Albania as well and there is many jokes about him but can't remember. He is always presented as a very intuitive and wise man who can get out of any type of difficult situation at ease.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
kotumeyil View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Retired AE Moderator

Quote kotumeyil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 04:23
When Tamerlane occupied Anatolia he came to Akshehir and gave one of his elephants to the people of Akshehir to look after. However the elephant was eating too much. People couldn't meet the enormous needs of the elephant. They began complaining and compelled Hodja to ask Tamerlane if he could take the elephant back. Hodja accepted with one condition: they would follow him to the court of Tamerlane. On the way all the people escaped one by one and when Hodja came to the court he looked back and saw noone. Then he said Tamerlane: "Our villagers liked the elephant so much that they want a spouse for him!"

Edited by kotumeyil
[IMG]http://www.maksimum.com/yemeicme/images/haber/raki.jpg">
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 21:31
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2005 at 10:52

Originally posted by kotumeyil

When Tamerlane occupied Anatolia he came to Akshehir and gave one of his elephants to the people of Akshehir to look after. However the elephant was eating too much. People couldn't meet the enormous needs of the elephant. They began complaining and compelled Hodja to ask Tamerlane if he could take the elephant back. Hodja accepted with one condition: they would follow him to the court of Tamerlane. On the way all the people escaped one by one and when Hodja came to the court he looked back and saw noone. Then he said Tamerlane: "Our villagers liked the elephant so much that they want a spouse for him!"

~ Khushal Khan Khattak
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>