Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Being Muslim the Bosniak Way

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Being Muslim the Bosniak Way
    Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 13:52
Just take Selma Bajrami as an example. Her last name is obviously Albanian in style but she says she's a Bosniak. So everyone comes to the table with all the evidence of Slavs Albanian-izing their names during different eras, all the evidence of Slavic Albanians and Albanians coming to Bosnia during the industrial era, and so on - all the prove Selma's words are right.

If Selma Bajrami said - I'm an Albanian - then everyone would bring all the evidence needed to show that she could be born in Tuzla and be an Albanian to the table. It all depends on what she says, and it's like that for everyone to a certain degree. The only obstacle is geography, really.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 14:03
Originally posted by Mila

There's no concensus as to what being Muslim in the Balkans means so everyone, everywhere, is more or less free to decide for themselves which ethnicity they belong to. You can choose Albanian, Bosniak, Gorani, Montenegrin, Serb, Croat, Turk - whatever you want.

I do not know if you can choose what language you will speak with your parents. Or more, you cant choose what your forefathers were...
Prej heshtjes...!
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 14:08

@ Mila,

Excuse me if I misunderstood you, but are you saying that between the balkan muslims there is no difference (ethnical, cultural, and even religious)?

Prej heshtjes...!
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jun-2006 at 14:10
No, no. I just mean the lines aren't very clear.
[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 03:41
p

Edited by Zmaj - 21-Jun-2006 at 03:41
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 03:41
Arber, what did you mean bosnia is middle eastern country?

By location, bosnia is in the balkan, south-eastern europe... By tradition, by genetics, by culture it belongs to their area in south eastern europe, and by religion it's the sons of "abrahams" dominating there, the christian orthodox, catholics and muslims. I hope that made sense to you...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 10:22
Originally posted by Arbr Z

The Goran community say that they speak a bulgarian dialect, and feel bulgaric. Regarding the thousands of bosnians in albania, where did you get this data from? I have two friends with a bosnian origin, and as far as I know there are at max. some 700-1000 bosnians in albania. There is no pressure here, everybody can claim its national background.

And another question, since when Bosnia is a middleeastern country?

Gorani speak Serbian and specifically Torlakian dialect...
GoldenBlood View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote GoldenBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 13:03
Originally posted by Zmaj

Originally posted by violentjack

Bosniak population is around 8 or 9 million
Only in Albania there is some 50 000 Bosniaks,but most declare themself
as other or Albanian from pressure,but when census is done they are
still Bosniak.Some 80% ,rest consider themself as Bosniak.There is town
in Albania with some 20 000 people,more then third of people consider
themself Bosniaks,but with pressure and some respect,for host
Albanians,declare themself as Albanians

There is also town called Debar in Macedonia,where Macedonians dont
count Bosniaks,but just put Gorani or Torbeshi,though those people dont
feel like that

Btw also don't forget our Bosniaks brothers from Kosova (Bosniaks, but not Goranci/Gorani) which live in central, western and soutern Kosovo. Due to Albanian being majority, and that Slavs generally in Kosova were associated with "Christian Orthodoxy" by the majority of Albanians, many Bosniaks have adopted Albanians identity while at the same time conserving the fact of their Bosniak origin. Today you can find in more than 20% of Kosovari Albanians surname to be of Bosniaks/Slavic name and which was modified to become more Albanian like.

Official figures of Gorani (Muslim Slavs) of Kosova is 20,000 while unofficial put them at 50,000 with more than 30,000 having adopted the majority "Albanian" identity, since it's only the religion that unites the majority of Kosovari Albanians, with the Bosniaks and Goranci there.

You are very wrong in Kosova live 47.000 Bosnians but not in Albania 50.000 lool this is hilarous Big smile
In Fyrom Macedonia live 17.000 Bosnians exp. 14.000 live in Skopje/Shkupi

what 20%? hahahaha Big smile loool not 90% gagaga
this is total crap...so where is evidence?

Bosniak population is 3.1 milions (not 9 milions OuchSleepy) when 1.8 live in Bosnia.

You forget that today much of bosnians have albanian ancestors (from Montenegro and Sanxhak after 60% have albanian origin) also in Bosnia have much Bosnian of albanian Descent......you have much today Bosnians when has albanian surnames like Shkreli, Krashniqi, Gashi, Dulaj,Hoti ect.

In Sanxhak all albos have been assimilated and Montenegro is going same Cry

Edited by GoldenBlood - 21-Jun-2006 at 13:11
Kosova dhe Ilirida, pjese te Dardanise
Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 13:36

Arber, what did you mean bosnia is middle eastern country?

By location, bosnia is in the balkan, south-eastern europe... By tradition, by genetics, by culture it belongs to their area in south eastern europe, and by religion it's the sons of "abrahams" dominating there, the christian orthodox, catholics and muslims. I hope that made sense to you...

I am aware of the geographical and cultural situation of Bosnia, but I wondered how come this thread is situated in the Post-Classical Middle East sub-forum.
And when I mentioned the gorani, they might speak serbian, but some, that I personally have met, told me that they speak bulgarian (like in FYROM) and were Bulgarian muslims. Now, bosnians in Albania are under no pressure, this is for sure. But, still, there might be at most 8000 - 10000 people of slavic muslim descent in albania (I mean decsent, many of them have also albanian ancestry). And the slavic ancestry of this people is differing, some of them are goran, some are podgoricar (they refere to their identity as muslim montenegrines, not bosnians) and some 2000 might be bosnians.

Anyway, this are not official data, but I have met people from bosnian community (Borana Begic national albanian volley player is one of them), and I have also met muslim montenegrines as well as muslim gorani. I have some friends originating from this cultures (My friends are born in Tirana, and they dont speak slavic anymore). This comunities preserve their language only in their villages, where they are not mixed with other people. Anyway, they know that they have slavic ancestors, and say that openly. (This is true also for those with serbian orthodox ancestry).

And regarding the lines between muslims in balkans, probably the slavic muslims are very similar to each other, but the albanian muslims are different 1st in their language (albanians hardly forget their language), 2nd in their culture (which is differing from the slavic), 3rd in their national conscience (generally the albanians always claim their ethnic belonging). If you have a german speaking person, who says he has italian ancestry and feels italian, than he's an italian. Same is about albanians, wherever they live, they claim their ancestry.
Prej heshtjes...!
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Theodore Felix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jun-2006 at 14:11
Gorani speak Serbian and specifically Torlakian dialect...

The only Gorani I know live in the Prespa region and they speak a Bulgarian dialect, they consider themselves "Macedonians"

some 700-1000 bosnians in albania. There is no pressure here, everybody can claim its national background.

At the turn of the century(20th) I remember reading about a bunch of Herzegovacs(likely muslims) escaping into northern Albania from a blood feud. The vast vast majority have been assimilated. There are no 33% Bosniaks in any village. At best youll find a few scattered ones here and there around the major cities, but they are modern immigrants, refugees from the war who settled in Albania. They are probably around 600.

Edited by Theodore Felix - 21-Jun-2006 at 14:17
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jun-2006 at 19:59
about you guys asking bosnian/bosniak...

bosnian is a regional term for every person who lives in bosnia. Technically it would apply to bosniaks,serbs and croats but as serbs and croats don't want to be associated with that region(don't trust me?tell a croat or a serb from bosnia that they are bosnian) when saying bosnian it is automaticly implied it's bosniak.

Now as for the word bosniak... Bosniak is just the term that was applied to the ppl living in bosnia during ottoman time. before Ottomans brought Islam in Bosnia,there was a wealthy bosnian kingdom with a pretty clear national consciouness (I mean distinction between bosnians and croats or serbs - just look the povelja kulina bana, where there is a clear distinction between croats and bosnians). When turks came, with their system ppl were divided according to religion. When in the 19th century national consciouness began to arise, catholics started to identify themselves with croats,orthodoxs with serbs and muslims re-introduce the term bosniak - because now after 500 years of islam only muslims were the ones that were willing an independent and sovereign state of bosnia NOT controlled by foreign forces(serbia or croatia). Thus bosniaks of today,even if with a changed religion, keep as their national simbol the lillium bosniacum, the old simbol of the kotromanic dinasty (the old kings of bosnia). Even if the DNA has changed,and many croat,serb, turk and even hungarian and albanian muslims have been assimiliated in the bosniak ethnicty apart "real" bosniaks(the old bosnians) in the last century, it's the love for the land that unifies all bosniaks. Pretty much like italians, the DNA may vary,but it's the spirit that unifies them.

I hope I cleared some doubts =)

Edited by Fazla - 22-Jun-2006 at 20:32
violentjack View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 07:36
No, real census was boycotted by Albanians in Kosovo 1991, and it give predictions that Muslims are around 58 000 in Kosovo.Considering their enormous birth rate,especially in Prizren and sorounding area, number of Bosniaks in Kosovo, now this is estimation from 1981 census is adlist 100 000 in Kosovo.

Bosniaks were rulers of Albanian northern principality.Feudal clan in Eastern Herzegovina Bey in origin, that later stretched all the way till Skadar or Skhodra were Busatlici(After 1912) and Zog rule of Albanians, they made it short into Bushat(Assimilated)

For they had lands from Skadar to Bayram Curi, in present day Albania

Bosniaks in Albanian do number some 50 000!
What is strange my friend?
Did i say 500 000?
No i said 50 000, and i even gave you linik, unfortunately its in Bosnian(Slavic Language) which yuou probably wont understand about Bosniak diaspora in Albania,all villages populated by them, towns and area where they settled

Goranci excluded, i never counted them as Bosniaks, live in Dragas part of todays Gora county,Opolje is ethnic Albanians

They speak mix of Vlach,Bulgarian and Slavic and call it Nasinski jezik(Our language)

Substantial number even has Bulgarian passports, some live in Sofia, some in Belgrade and some do declare themself as Bosniak.One third of todays Goranis declare themself as Bosniak.

Maybe its wrong, but concept of ethnic ALbanian nation was to unify all Islamic people and assimilate them into Albanians, under pretense of religion, rather then nation, which Albanians care so much.

From mid 60 till present day on one such example villagers of Musnikovo near Prizren were tested.Though all in village of 4000+ consider themself Albanians, they still say they speak Bosnian language.This is blatant and obvious act of discrimination and false pretense of religion, that Albanisn tried and are stil trying to do over ethnic Turks and Bosniaks in Kosovo and Macedonia.

Next census mark my word more Bosniaks will certainly pop amonsgt Macedonians and Albanians in Macedonia,as some will declare themself freely and not under pressure, which they suffered for so long.

Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite
GoldenBlood View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote GoldenBlood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 14:18
violentjack  you are really moron...where you learn this bull sh*t? where are 50.000 bosnians in Albania hahahahahahhah where? please answer me where?

In Albania live onlyh 5.000 Slav (Montengrins, Fyromians, Bulgarians and Boasnians) :)

you know how Albanians from Sanxhak and Montenegro how assimliated into Bosnians and Montengrins...and you know how 1% were in Montenegro Bosniuans today are 14%!!!

In Kosova had/has bosnians in Prizren Area and Mitrovica Area...about 1% of Total of Kosova...

From mid 60 till present day on one such example villagers of Musnikovo near Prizren were tested.Though all in village of 4000+ consider themself Albanians, they still say they speak Bosnian language.This is blatant and obvious act of discrimination and false pretense of religion, that Albanisn tried and are stil trying to do over ethnic Turks and Bosniaks in Kosovo and Macedonia.

hahahahahah what the hell you stupid...where is evidence??? who ruled Kosova Serbs or Albanians? hmm? you forget that Kosova were occuping from serbs...

First you must look own state Bosnia where 55% are non-bosnians Wink and second you know that all Bosnians from Montenegro and Sanxhak are ALBANIANS Descent :) and you know this very good.

In XIX Ceuntry had 1.6 milions Albanians, 1.5 milions Greeks, 900.000 (Serbo-Croats-Bosnanians)

And look how have been assimileted albanians... and dispaced from own land Ouch

Edited by GoldenBlood - 28-Jun-2006 at 14:25
Kosova dhe Ilirida, pjese te Dardanise
violentjack View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote violentjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jun-2006 at 18:57
Yes, i must be ''moron'', but you still didnt learn how to write.

Case closed, discussion is open with people, that actually know something, unlike you

Bosnjaci,probudite se ili nestanite
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 17:17
Originally posted by GoldenBlood

violentjack  you are really moron...where you learn this bull sh*t? where are 50.000 bosnians in Albania hahahahahahhah where? please answer me where?

In Albania live onlyh 5.000 Slav (Montengrins, Fyromians, Bulgarians and Boasnians) :)

you know how Albanians from Sanxhak and Montenegro how assimliated into Bosnians and Montengrins...and you know how 1% were in Montenegro Bosniuans today are 14%!!!

First you must look own state Bosnia where 55% are non-bosnians Wink and second you know that all Bosnians from Montenegro and Sanxhak are ALBANIANS Descent :) and you know this very good.

In XIX Ceuntry had 1.6 milions Albanians, 1.5 milions Greeks, 900.000 (Serbo-Croats-Bosnanians)

And look how have been assimileted albanians... and dispaced from own land Ouch

Alright part of your information is true, other numbers are greatly inflated.

Deep in ourselves, we are all human... So 2yrs after you die, can you tell you are "Bosniak", Bosnian or Albanian?

Another thing: Not all Bosnians from Sandzak and Montenegro are "Bosniacized Albanians". True there are many Sandzaklije from Sandzak of Albanian ancestry (and I'm one), but this number is 30% maximum. Yes it's a very big number indeed. You have also Slavicized Turks from Sandzak who later on assimilated in the general culture. You have Serbs and Montenegrin Orthodox converts to Islam during the Ottoman days, you have Bosniaks traders and settlers from Bosnia proper who came and settled in Sandzak, as the region of Sandzak was itself part of Vilayet Bosnia, but detached from Bosnia after the Austrio-Ugarsko administration of Bosnia in late 19th century.

Yes Albanian population is much bigger than Bosniak population. I believe in Albania itself there are about 3.3M, in Kosova another 2M, in Macedonia around 700,000, in Turkey around 500,000 of direct Albanian ancestry, and perhaps 4M of indirect or far Albanian ancestry, in Germany around 400,000 Albanians, in USa 500,000 Albanians etc....  Good for them.. Power is also with number.

Regards.
Violetjack: you are getting bit violent, did you notice it?

Arbr Z View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Arbr Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2006 at 21:14
Hvala Zmaj, I agree almost totally with your post. But lets leave this discussion, apparently it degenerated in something else. Lets wait for some census or I dont know what (like we dont already know who we are). I am curious about one thing, I am an agnostic, but I dont understand how one who calls himself a muslim uses a violent nick, talks about violence, and is intollerant to other opinions. I am of a muslim descent (formally), and I have read the Kur'an (in albanian, for I dont understand arabian), probably I might be against the monotheistic religions, but still, Islam is not related to agressivity, intollerance and violence (if not fundamentalistic Al Qaeda stuff). Milosevic was serbian, and for his cruelty we often blame Serbia. But apparently our balkan states are able to provide every year hundreds of miniMilosevics, who are always there, ready to explode in unjustified violence.
Prej heshtjes...!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 03:29
Originally posted by Arbr Z

I am an agnostic, but I dont understand how one who calls himself a muslim uses a violent nick, talks about violence, and is intollerant to other opinions. but still, Islam is not related to agressivity, intollerance and violence (if not fundamentalistic Al Qaeda stuff). .

Exactly, that's how the vast majority of non-Muslim and due to misunderstanding of Islam or associating what the media mainly report about islam (and which are muslims themselves distorting the image of islam) fall in the trap of associoating muslims with intolerance, hatred and violence. You have muslims who happen to be extreme fanatics and terrorists and intollerants. But really this is a tiny minority despised by the majority of muslims in MOST countries (of course you also have countries themselves who through associating their cultural pre-islamic ideologies with islam and which create a certain sort of islamic sect based on violence and intolerence. I won't mention who... but you probably guessed it. I believe there is also a vast majority of Muslims who Islam is simply a mere religious and cultural association, in that it doesn't interfere with any of their daily life, and it only starts at home and end at home.

I guess this thread greatly deviated from its original thread.

flm arber.
Bosniakum View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Bosniakum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 06:37
GoldenBlood

And look how have been assimileted albanians... and dispaced from own land

Where are you getting this information from, a comic book?

"I krv svoju za Bosnu moju"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Jul-2006 at 09:22
Originally posted by Bosniakum

GoldenBlood

Where are you getting this information from, a comic book?

THat's the first thing to make sense finally Clap
Master_Blaster View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Master_Blaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jul-2006 at 17:55

Exactly, that's how the vast majority of non-Muslim and due to misunderstanding of Islam or associating what the media mainly report about islam (and which are muslims themselves distorting the image of islam) fall in the trap of associoating muslims with intolerance, hatred and violence. You have muslims who happen to be extreme fanatics and terrorists and intollerants. But really this is a tiny minority despised by the majority of muslims in MOST countries (of course you also have countries themselves who through associating their cultural pre-islamic ideologies with islam and which create a certain sort of islamic sect based on violence and intolerence. I won't mention who... but you probably guessed it. I believe there is also a vast majority of Muslims who Islam is simply a mere religious and cultural association, in that it doesn't interfere with any of their daily life, and it only starts at home and end at home.

I guess this thread greatly deviated from its original thread.

flm arber.

Extremists can be found in every walk of life and in every faith - Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc.

Islam teaches its adherents to stand up for themselves and for others when they experience an injustice. When Muslims from across the Islamic world, and nations such as Iran, Turkey, Pakistan, and Arab countries funnel money and arms into Islamic communities in Bosnia, Chechnya, and Palestine -they are not doing so to "terrorize" non-Muslim populations but rather to defend their co-religionists.

Edited by Master_Blaster - 02-Jul-2006 at 18:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>