Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite City

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite City
    Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 20:07
What is your favorite city?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Online Status: Offline
  Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 20:17
Cincinnati, OH, "The Queen of the West" dubbed by Winston Churchill as , "the most beautiful of Americas inland cities."
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 22:03
Utrecht, because i miss it.
Bern, because i know its beautifull.
Samarkand, because i want to go there.
Arrrgh!!"
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 23:29
New York!
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 16:38

Originally posted by JanusRook

Cincinnati, OH, "The Queen of the West" dubbed by Winston Churchill as , "the most beautiful of Americas inland cities."

hy would that be your favorite city in the world?  lol, midwest.

I vote Samarkand despite never have been there, and for cities I have been to, Seoul is the best.

"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Degredado View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Degredado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 09:20
Lisbon
Vou votar nas putas. Estou farto de votar nos filhos delas
Kalevipoeg View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Kalevipoeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 11:44

Prnu. The city of the right size, which is 43000 people and great in any other perspective aswell.

Tartu gets the second place.

There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of an ether binge...
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 15:32

hy would that be your favorite city in the world?  lol, midwest.

Because it is my hometown, because it's waters flow in my blood, it's air flows through my lungs and the city itself shines in my memories. 

Edited by JanusRook
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 17:41

Vienna, Budapesht.

It's funny how the Austro-Hungarian Empire let so many places develop culturally and aesthetically.

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
phoenix_bladen View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote phoenix_bladen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Oct-2004 at 13:03

Beijing - forbidden city

shanghai - dynamic and unique blend of east and west.

tokyo - high tech

toronto - muti cultural

ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 14:23

From the cities ive been to:

Dublin - been there a few times, nice scenery, cool people and good beer.

Yerevan - Armenian capital, one of the richest histories. Great vodka.

From what ive seen in pictures and want to visit:

In no particular order, Paris, Rome, Athens, Istanbul, St. Petersburg, Beirut, Cairo, Isfahan, Tabriz, Shiraz, Tehran, Jerusalem, Edinburgh, Amsterdam, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Berlin, Prague. Much more but those are the main ones.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 18:01
Originally posted by Cywr

Bern, because i know its beautifull.

Bern is indeed beautiful, especially if you are fond of small towns. It's very well organised, has charming old buildings and fountains and of course the mother bear and her cubs. Although I must say everytime I was there I had felt sorry for the bear family, they live in a rather small and shabby cave/pool in the middle of the city. Not sure if they're let out.

My favorites go as;

Geneve, because I miss it and have great memories of it.
Istanbul, for the same reasons even though actually living in Istanbul sucks most of the time (traffic and crowds)
Bercelona, because it feels like it's out of a story book with all that Art Nouveau
Vienna, melancholic and pretty
Florence, breathtaking
and New York, because I live here and it's pretty damn cool even though I hate, hate, hate its winter when it goes down to -30C and the windchill strikes!
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 18:54
its winter when it goes down to -30C

Isn't that a bit much?  Compared to Europe, New York is around where Switzerland and Austria are in longitute right?  It seems a bit much...
-William Shakespeare
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 19:04
Its where Rome is, lattitude wise.
But it gets the full continental treatment, with no warm mediteranean or gulf stream to spare it the worst.

I never got to see the bears in Bern in the end, oh well, an excuse to go there again
Arrrgh!!"
Cornellia View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Cornellia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 19:10

My favorite is Paris.  So beautiful and they've managed to embrace the present and future and never lose the past.

New York, Rome, London and San Francisco are up at the top of my list too.

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 19:26
Originally posted by Kubrat

its winter when it goes down to -30C

Isn't that a bit much?  Compared to Europe, New York is around where Switzerland and Austria are in longitute right?  It seems a bit much...

It is a bit much, if you ask me. The thing is, as Cywr says, there is no Gulf Stream or Mediterranean to warm things up and yet it is right by the Atlantic Ocean. What's more, in Manhattan, because of the way the city was built you get the worse corridor effect from the Hudson River to East River once the windstorms start and it's the windchill that does you in rather than the cold. New York is cold and humid, you really feel it to your bones. Last year the -30C days were more than 10 days at least. I saw the temperature below 0 in Fahrenheit, it was unbearable. For three days my school was out because of the cold, because the windchill was lethal to people with weak lungs (asthmatics etc.) New York gets colder than Reykjavik, not on average but in minimum temperature.

I'm hoping it won't be as cold this year but the way it's going it's not promising.
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 20:38
Wow.. never knew that about New York...  One reason not to go there in the winter .

Its where Rome is, lattitude wise.

Ah.. and you know I meant to say latitude, right?

My favorite is Paris.  So beautiful and they've managed to embrace the present and future and never lose the past.

Yes, it's a magnificent city.  The only thing I don't like is that solitary tower in one section of the city, I forget what it is called.  I heard they were going to knock it down, is that true? (Hope you guys know what I'm talking about)
-William Shakespeare
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 21:05
Originally posted by Kubrat

Wow.. never knew that about New York...  One reason not to go there in the winter .

Smart move. It's beautiful in the spring though!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 21:05
Paris si so dirty and smelly, everyone smokes and theres more filth than a New Jersey city, but historically, yes a very fabulous city anyway.  I dont like very clean cities anyway, they have less personality.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Oct-2004 at 21:13
Ah.. and you know I meant to say latitude, right?

Of course, slip of the finger
Arrrgh!!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>