Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Renaissance Army Uniforms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Renaissance Army Uniforms
    Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 14:20

erm.... yeah...

do you guys happens to know where or what is the address for the website about.... renaissance, imperial age army uniform?

for instance, the English had those fancy wigs while the Spanish has those fancy mustarg and the French has those fancy breastpalte armor...

i just want to find their uniform of all class of army.... i'm looking for detail and stuff... <333

Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2011 at 19:17
There were three main types of soldier in the 17th century (with regional variation): musketeers, pikemen and cavalry. Cavalry troopers included dragoons and cuirassiers, distinguished by their armor and weapons. Cuirassiers wore full suits of armor and close helmets. Dragoons (or harquebusiers) wore buff-coats, breastplates and open-faced helmets like the lobster-tailed pot. Their main weapon was the carbine or petronel, a type of gun midway between a pistol and a musket
Me Grimlock not nice Dino! Me bash brains!
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2011 at 19:44

Photo of the curved butt of the petronel, designed to be fired from the chest

Edited by Nick1986 - 08-Nov-2011 at 19:45
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2011 at 19:29

Cuirassier armor belonging to Henry VIII. This was similar to the armor of the medieval knight, but made with a double layer of steel to absorb bullets. The lower legs were protected by a stout pair of leather boots and the horse was no longer armored
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2011 at 19:13

Compare Henry's armor to that worn by the Cuirassiers of the Civil War. By the 1640s only elite cavalry units like the Earl of Essex's life-guard wore full armor as it cost four times as much as the simple helmet, breast and back-plate issued to dragoons
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2011 at 21:02

A Roundhead Dragoon. He wears little armor compared with the cuirassier, but his buff-coat provides excellent protection from sword-cuts. Slung over his shoulder is his flintlock carbine or "dragon." Unlike the cuirassiers who charged sword-in-hand like the knights of old, dragoons could dismount and pick off their enemies from a distance before pressing home the assault with sword and pistol

Edited by Nick1986 - 14-Nov-2011 at 21:03
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2011 at 20:12

Civil War musketeer. His use of a Lochaber axe as a musket-rest suggests this individual is a Scotsman. Uniforms were cut to civilian patterns in the regiment's colors, chosen by the colonel. Most Roundhead regiments wore red coats as they were easier for the commanders to spot, and because it concealed the flash of the muskets, confusing the enemy
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2011 at 19:34

The pikeman of the Civil War was much better protected than the musketeer. He wore a sleeveless buff-coat or leather jerkin, a helmet called a morion, and a breastplate as protection from bullets and enemy pikes. Besides his pike, he carried a short sword for close quarter combat and wore lace-up ankle boots called startups rather than the low-cut buckled shoes worn by low-ranking civilians
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2011 at 19:06

In the Americas steel armor was quickly discarded (except for the comb morion) as breastplates were heavy and rusted quickly. The Spanish took to wearing Aztec armor: a type of quilted jacket (worn by the warrior on the right) to protect from the macahuitl, that vicious slashing weapon capable of decapitating a horse
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2011 at 19:33

As Mosquito will tell you, Polish hussars had unique uniforms. These "wings" were a counter to the Tatar tactic of lassoing and unhorsing enemy cavalry. However, the new uniform had its own problems: it made the trooper an ideal target for skilled musketeers
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2012 at 19:57
The buff coat worn by cavalry and pikemen was stiff as a board when new and capable of keeping out long-range pistol balls. This image gives you some idea of its thickness: at least 3mm
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn129/Merlon_album/buffskirts.jpg
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2012 at 19:39

Comb morion, a pikeman's helmet invented by the Spanish with a tall crest to deflect sword-cuts. Like the lobster-tailed pot, it may have been based on captured Muslim armor
Don Quixote View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Don Quixote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Mar-2012 at 21:00
Cool thread!Smile
Parade helmet, 1543, very refined work
http://s3.amazonaws.com/data.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltsizxhLpQ1qbwvhpo1_1280.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&amp;Expires=1332813542&amp;Signature=%2BNIrvGjAN2RaiYFCJcIsAgS9tvI%3D
Nick1986 View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Mighty Slayer of Trolls

Quote Nick1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Aug-2012 at 19:27
The puffed and slashed sleeves popular among the nobility have their origins on the battlefield. Swiss and German mercenaries wore brightly colored clothes so they could easily spot each other
 Post Reply Post Reply