Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancestry of Pakistani ethnic groups

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ScythianEmpire View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ScythianEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancestry of Pakistani ethnic groups
    Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 11:13

I know there's another thread up on Greek ancestry of ethnic groups that goes into some of this, but it's a bit messy and this thread is to look at the any likely ancestries of all ethnic groups in the region (which might be a bit much as there's so many of them). 

It's possible using Y-chrom. STR markers, to also determine ancestral connections, which can be used in conjunction with haplogroupings from databases. Here's the first one I've looked at, Pakistani Pathan.

DYS19, DYS389A, DYS389B, DYS391, DYS392, DYS393, DYS385, DYS438, DYS439 are the STR's used.

The Pakistani Pathan Y-chromo. STR's share more similarity with the Byelorussian Y-STR's than with neighbouring ethnic group STR's along with a huge gap between the two regions where there's no commonality at all with the Pakistani Pathan repeats. Here are some graphs.

EDIT: DATA INCORRECT.

3) STR sequence, 15/13/30/25/11/11/13/-1/-1/-1

(DYS19, DYS389A, DYS389B, DYS391, DYS392, DYS393, DYS385, DYS438, DYS439)

1 = Byelorussia = 2 / 70

2 = Pakistani Burusho = 1 / 90

3 = Pakistani Pathan = 4 / 90

This is roughly equivalent to 3 in every 100 Byelorussians, 4 in every 100 Pakistani Pathans and 1 in every 100 Pakistani Burusho. The frequency of this particular sequence is high and similar in Byelorussians and Pakistani Pathans.

4) Haplogroups of Byelorussians would contain haplogroup I. This hasnt been determined for sure whether it's present in Pakistani Pathan, though some studies have suggested it's present, which has been quoted elsewhere. The modal haplotypes of I1b do seem to be present in the ethnic group however.

The Byelorussian and Pakistani Pathan Y-chromsome STR seem close together, perhaps 10% similarity for these markers, which would exclude any subsequent mutations that occurred since the hypothetical split in this example. Agree/disagree with this analysis? Significant/insignificant association would you say?   

Edited by ScythianEmpire
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 12:07
Do you notice that 3-4% is an irrelevant percentage? What about the other 96%? 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ScythianEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 12:17

Originally posted by Maju

Do you notice that 3-4% is an irrelevant percentage? What about the other 96%? 

Lol..Well, alright, I havent looked into this that closely so I might be wrong, but the graphs shown illustrate the precise correlation between STR's in each population. I'm not sure what the mutation rate is for STRs but it's pretty high (I think something like 1 in 3000 meioses). Anyway, it doesnt matter. The point is that you can see the Byelorussian group and the other Slavic groups. You would expect them to have the closest common ancestor of the Byelorussians. But they dont match up at all, showing that even a 4% (it's more like 10% though), similarity is quite significant in this case, I think..

Edited by ScythianEmpire
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 13:55
I don't know where you get the 10% figure from. The case is that even if 4 of Belarusians and 3% of Pashtun have a common ancestor (likely a proto-IE group), this means almost nothing about the overall relationship of both populations. It is a connection but not a very strong one.

When you say that those peoples share that sequence, you actually mean that some people in those populations share those sequences, while most just don't. I don't know wbout the details of the sample but, if it's been done in rural areas, it is even likely that inside the three positive populations only a few areas are affected (in greater degree though) by the said sequences.

It's interesting but hardly comprehensive - at least for my understanding. It just seems to say that a given lineage migrated in both directions of from one place to the other. You probably find simmilar correlations between, let's say, Holland and Transvaal, Extremadura and Colombia... you know. You may find for instance that a given Spanish sequence is concentrated in Cartagena (Colombia) and Santiago de Cuba, but absent from anywhere else in Latin America. It seems to me that this, at least when studying this type of isolated sequences, there's a lot of random and historical accident to it, don't you think?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ScythianEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 16:12

I don't know where you get the 10% figure from. The case is that even if 4 of Belarusians and 3% of Pashtun have a common ancestor (likely a proto-IE group), this means almost nothing about the overall relationship of both populations. It is a connection but not a very strong one.

I didnt really explain it. Basically I got the figure of 10 % from the first map on the list.

Add all frequencies up and you get 11 %. That's for the Bylorussian STR s in common with the Pakistani Pathan STRs mentioned there only (51 %). So perhaps in 100%, there'd actually be around about 22% commonality between the two Y-chrom. haplotypes?

The 4 % and 3% you've mentioned was only for 1 STR sequence. As you can see in the graph above, there are many STR sequences. So, 3% of the populations share a 15/13/30/25/11/11/13/-1/-1/-1 sequence, but then another 2% say share a 15/13/30/23/11/11/13/-1/-1/-1 sequence. So it adds up. DYS markers generally mutate and so there's a spread of closely associated (within one or two STRs) STRs. The percentage has only used exact STR sequences. One could easily expect at least one mutation in any of these STR sequences, so +/- 1 STR could also be included. This will of course give you a huge range of possibilities, which would end up covering most of Eastern Europe probably. That's why such precise correlations are important, however small, in my opinion.

Even if you adjust one of the STR s you still get virtually the same pattern of only two places in the world where the adjusted +-1 STR sequence appears, those two being Byelorussia and Pakistan. I dont think all this is just an example of a Metal Age drift of Indo-Europeans southward from somewhere East of the Caspian Sea. The Y-chromosome STRs are precisely related in I would probably guess about 22 % of the populations. The significance of it is that you dont find any Byelorussian commonality with the surrounding Slavic nations, but some 22% commonality with the Pakistan Pathan Y-chromsom STRs.

This all requires Haplogroup I to be expressed in the Pakistani Pathan population, which I still cant find much reference to (some articles but not sure how valid they are).

When you say that those peoples share that sequence, you actually mean that some people in those populations share those sequences, while most just don't. I don't know wbout the details of the sample but, if it's been done in rural areas, it is even likely that inside the three positive populations only a few areas are affected (in greater degree though) by the said sequences.

Again, the significance of the results are that none of the Slavic nations around Byelorussia share the same STRs. I might agree with you if this wasnt the case.

It's interesting but hardly comprehensive - at least for my understanding. It just seems to say that a given lineage migrated in both directions of from one place to the other. You probably find simmilar correlations between, let's say, Holland and Transvaal, Extremadura and Colombia... you know. You may find for instance that a given Spanish sequence is concentrated in Cartagena (Colombia) and Santiago de Cuba, but absent from anywhere else in Latin America. It seems to me that this, at least when studying this type of isolated sequences, there's a lot of random and historical accident to it, don't you think?

Well, yes, that's what I'm saying. The two populations have a degree of common antescendency. How much I havent worked out. I'd give each sequence +/- 1 STR, which could amount to a lot more similarity. For example, by ignoring DYS385 groupings most of Eastern Europe would have some similarity with Pakistani Pathans. I'm not sure how important this marker is, if I find out, it will help determine how valid the findings are.

I'll see what happens when I use two other different populations, just to give you an idea. 

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 19:07
Are those sequencies mutually exclussive or can all them be in the same person? In the first case you should definitively add them up, in the second you should get the average, as probably all markers come from the same original population. 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 19:17

Where was the 'Pathan' blood taken from?  I have seen genetic studies of Pakistani Pathans from a Pathan that was from Karachi.  Also, when this study was done, what makes it prove that "Pathans" are from this common ancestor in Eurasia. 

What about the Afghans on the other side of the border.  If you look at the Pashtun tribal chart you will see lots of different tribes, some of them being adopted like the Ormuris, Khilji/Ghilzai, Hazara, Uzbeks, and Nuristanis, and almost all of Pashtun tribes are heavily mixed.   The ones in Pakistan are just as equally mixed, especially those on the fringe of Punjab, Balochistan, and Sindh.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ScythianEmpire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 21:08

Are those sequencies mutually exclussive or can all them be in the same person? In the first case you should definitively add them up, in the second you should get the average, as probably all markers come from the same original population. 

well DYS385, DYS438, DYS439, (last three figures in the sequence) are all -1. I've looked what that means and it's apparently some sort of command to ignore the marker locus . So the Pakistani Pathan one as well as the Byelorussian had the same ignore command for the last three, hence the commonality I think. If you just use the first six markers, DYS19, DYS389A, DYS389B, DYS391, DYS392, DYS393, you get virtually the whole of Eastern Europe in common with the Pakistan Pathan one, as well as some other Pakistani ethnic group.

If DYS385 is known, it should narrow it down a bit. Most common haplotype in Pathans (for the first 6 markers) is found at about the same frequency in Mostar, Bosnia though, 10/ 100. DYS385 in Mostar is 14 for a and 15 for b. DYS385 is needed really or DYS438/9 in Pakistani Pathan.

I've looked in the Qamar paper for the markers. But they got different DYS389s. However, their most common DYS438 and 439 is 11 and 10. Another paper seems to have 10 and 11.

But would really need to know DYS385, DYS438/439.

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 22:06
What I mean is wether in the same Y-chr genetic code, do those sequences occupy the same loci or diferent ones. In th first case, they would be alternative possibilities in the second only the complete sequence would give a clear clue - I believe. It's a little confusing.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply