Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which is the most powerful European power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is the most powerful European power
    Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 15:11
Originally posted by Paul

In the twentieth century they crushed the British army at Gallipoli.

While Italy overcame Turkey in the 1911 war, so, if it was a tournment it would be

1. Italy

2. Turkey

3. UK

(sorry, I know it's childish, but I could not resist)

However, still in the 20th century, UK won Italy on the WWII ground . . . so, what? (for your information and curiosity, in Mathematics it's called "Condorcet effect" when A>B, B>C and C>A, so that no ranking can be deduced).

Point is, you cannot say for sure what would happen in a war. Let's just hope no war will be fought

Edited by Serge L
John Doe View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote John Doe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 15:53
so, what? (for your information and curiosity, in Mathematics it's called "Condorcet effect" when A>B, B>C and C>A, so that no ranking can be deduced).

Australians beat everyone
Except when they're led by Englishmen
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 18:38

As long as Turkey has former Constantinople, it's in Europe and Asia.

And Germany has better ties to the US than any other European nation (excluding Britian, duh), arguably about as much as Canada. Ramstein Military Base, anyone?

On that tank note, I'd say Israel has more tanks than any of us.

It also seems unlikely that any European nation would attack another any time soon. Everything is so perfectly balanced that Europe would be torn in half and the side the US picked would clean house. I'll put $20 on the US, Britian, Germany, and America Junior being able to take any six or seven other European nations.

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 19:05
Bah, our soldiers have bigger moustaches!
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 19:31
I think in this discussion we're forgetting one European country...

Guess which one?
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 19:37
Mother Russia

Or maybe San Marino, Sweden fought them for 400 years and still couldn't beat them.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 19:50
No, we forgot Poland 
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 20:25

So no modern European war is possible.....................

We'll, once upon a time there used to be a country in Europe called ..... Yugoslavia......

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Abyssmal Fiend View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Abyssmal Fiend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2004 at 21:17

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

No, we forgot Poland 

Let me quote Jon Stewart, when he was talking to Bush.

"Your second is POLAND?!"

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 07:53

So no modern European war is possible.....................

We'll, once upon a time there used to be a country in Europe called ..... Yugoslavia......

Good point. I'd would change that proposition this way: "No modern war is possible between two approx. equally powerful major European power or groups of them"

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 09:53
The war in Yugoslavia was a civil war. Before the Yugoslavian war there weren't Croatian, Bosniac or Serb armies. 
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote Northman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2004 at 10:45

Originally posted by MixcoatlToltecahtecuhtli

The war in Yugoslavia was a civil war. Before the Yugoslavian war there weren't Croatian, Bosniac or Serb armies. 

I think, after you do a little research, you might want to change the last part of your statement.

In the past 100 years, there has been war after war, conflict after conflict on Balkan. Those conflicts are old - so feel free to go 200 or 300 years back and you'll find the same pattern.

Remember, Yugoslavia was an "artificial" construction, created in an attempt to put a lid on those conflicts. When the strong leader Tito was gone - they started to fight all over again.

Sarmata View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

suspended

Quote Sarmata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2004 at 22:09
where do yuo guys get these sources just curious, i mean these ranking of which country has the biggest army and such?
TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 06:53
Originally posted by Serge L

In the twentieth century they crushed the British army at Gallipoli.

While Italy overcame Turkey in the 1911 war, so, if it was a tournment it would be

1. Italy

2. Turkey

3. UK

(sorry, I know it's childish, but I could not resist)

However, still in the 20th century, UK won Italy on the WWII ground . . . so, what? (for your information and curiosity, in Mathematics it's called "Condorcet effect" when A>B, B>C and C>A, so that no ranking can be deduced).

Point is, you cannot say for sure what would happen in a war. Let's just hope no war will be fought

And the British defeated Italian troops in North Africa so easily during the second world war.

also even the greeks beated italy.

about the Tripoli War,OE could even challange Italy without naval forces.And if balcan wars had never started,who knows what would have happened...

so for me in a tournament sorry but  it would be:

1-Turkiye 2-England 3-Italy.

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 07:00

Originally posted by Sarmata

where do yuo guys get these sources just curious, i mean these ranking of which country has the biggest army and such?

IISS Military Balance.=International Institute for Strategic Studie

www.iiss.org

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2004 at 14:33
Originally posted by TheDiplomat

so for me in a tournament sorry but  it would be:

1-Turkiye 2-England 3-Italy.

What? You dare to challenge two among the few EU countries that endorse Turkey bid to the Union?  

Or maybe you are one of those Turks who would prefer his country to stay outside?

Originally posted by TheDiplomat

Originally posted by Sarmata

IISS Military Balance.=International Institute for Strategic Studie

Did you really pay 135$ to read that mountain of military statistics?

Jr_Capablanca View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jr_Capablanca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2004 at 15:57

Hello!

My votes will go as follows:

Economically:

1. Britain

2. Germany

3. France

4. Netherlands

5. Norway

Military:

1. Britain

2. France

3. Germany

4. Spain

5. Poland

/Capa

Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 07:59

I'm lost, since when did Britain's economy overtake Germany's? As far as I remember, Germany is still Europe's largest economic power, with Britain being second. And there's no way that Netherlands and Norway are 4th and 5th.

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2004 at 08:30
Largest GDP's in Europe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_economies_by_GDP):
1 Germany
2 United Kingdom
3 France
4 Italy
5 Spain
6 Netherlands
7 Russia
8 Switzerland
9 Belgium
10 Sweden
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2004 at 16:28

You are all talking about who would win in a war.

The sad truth is that if there was another serious major war then it would be a nuclear one. And since Britain and France are the only two European nations to possess nuclear weapons, they are the two most powerful countries in Europe.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>