Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which is the most powerful European power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is the most powerful European power
    Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 19:33

I agree with 'vagabond' it does appear like we have gone off topic a little.

I still stand by what I said previously that UK, France and Russia are the most powerful countries in Europe due to the fact they are the only nations to possess Nuclear weapons.

Does anyone disagree?

Christscrusader View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 18:47
well sophodwyrm i asked u and ill ask again. What proof do you have? Turks over Chinese and Tiwanese? Give me proof or don't say nuttin. Your "experience" is worth nothing without proof.
Heaven helps those, who help themselves.
-Jc
vagabond View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote vagabond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2004 at 00:41

It appears to me that this thread is coming dangerously close to requiring the attention of the Moderators and Admins.  We are, at this point - well off topic. 

Also -  Please watch you language and remember that not only are there young people who are members of the forum - but that many older people do not appreciate the use of profanity as well.  The use of inappropriate language reflects badly on the forum in general, and on all its members.

In the time of your life, live - so that in that wonderous time you shall not add to the misery and sorrow of the world, but shall smile to the infinite delight and mystery of it. (Saroyan)
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 22:43

Thanx for the hearty reply, m8. I am not talking about Turkish or Greek American. I am talking about International students in general. I am an international in UCB and the Turks make up one of the best organized international student body. In fact, even the Taiwanese or Chinese student body doesn't come close.

If you think I am offensive than I am probably as offensive as you are. Note my sig.

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 18:33
Originally posted by sephodwyrm

You know, I just think that there's also a lot of Turkey-bashing.
Why do I see more Turkish grad students in the US more than Greek grad students? Makes me wonder...

that was a good one. DO you not also forget that there are about 7 times as many turks as greeks? ANd what does grad school have to do with anything? and wheres your proof of more Turk grads than greeks? how can you tell whos a Greek American? SUch nonsense is pointless to point. ANd Bullsh*tting won't help your cause.

Edited by Christscrusader
-Jc
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 03:07

Here's a nice travelogue on modern day Turkey by a BBC reporter:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3998619.stm

Check the links to the right of the page.

I think that there're two Turkeys. Westernized West Turkey which may be a part of EU after some legislative changes and separation of State/Military from economic life. Eastern Turkey which is waaaaay back, closer to Midle Eastern standards in all aspects and cannot possibly be accepted in its present status.

Because of that 2nd part, Turkey will not be accepted in the EU any time soon. A status of "connection" will be acceptable for most EU countries but nothing more than this. I think that also Turkey understands that it's not ready and that it wont be for many years to come.

Pitty, because Greece would benefit a lot economicaly by Turkey's entrance.

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2004 at 02:52

You know, I just think that there's also a lot of Turkey-bashing.
Why do I see more Turkish grad students in the US more than Greek grad students? Makes me wonder...

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 17:43

Ok so then accoring to you, thats 2 nos, and 1 yes. SO lets go with the majority and say NO.

And i will never hesitate to fight againts anyone who uses religious differences for starting conflicts in the community

Religous differences are a part of life. Sure there are 3 million turks accepted, but by joining the EU there would be many more, obviously Germany, France, and England don't want more turks. Since they have been turned down, isn't that a sign that maybe there NOT wanted into the EU?

-Jc
Romano Nero View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Romano Nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 04:45

I wasn't aware that the topic has changed into "is Turky good enough to join the EU"... but then again, I might not be paying enough attention...

Alright, I'll play along. There are three determining factors wether Turkey is or is not fit to join the EU.

- Social/human rights. Definitely NO. Turkey has one of the 3-4 worst records worldwide in upholding human rights. Also, the Turkish society - if you leave Istanbul and the coastline of Asia Minor - is extremely backwards, nothing that could submit to European standards anytime soon. And I am not even starting about the role the Armed Forces play in Turkey's political scene.

- Economy: Definitely NO. The average per capita gross income of Turkey is 1/12th of the EU EUROzone, Turkey is a very poor country, by European standards. It needs like 30+ years fiddling with their economy to come close even to the third euro-tier (Spain, Greece, Portugal) even though they could, with very strict economic policies, get close to the 4th tier (the 4th tier are the newly aquired nations) within 15 years or so.  The public sentiment in the richer EU countries (Germany, France) is downwards against admitting Turkey admission, since they are afraid that million more Turkish immigrants shall flood their countries. Xenophobic, if you ask me, but that's what happening. Despite the German government being all for accepting Turkey in, for the political reasons I'll talk about in the next sentence.

- Political: Definitely YES. Turkey is geopolitically the landbridge between Europe and the middle East, and also a constant threat to the "soft belly" of the Big Russian bear (in case Russia becomes a threat anytime sooner or later). It controls the "gateway" to the rich oilfields of the middle east (even though Turkey has no oil herself). And last but not least, Turkey is a relatively strong (due to large manpower and massive spending) military part of NATO in the area. So, geopolitically and geostrategically they are a very valuable ally to Europe. Also, USA pressures EU to accept Turkey, because the latter is a very good ally to USA. At the same time Germany might want to take Turkey by the European side, in case EU and USA shall have a confrontation in the future.

Draw your own conclusions.

TheDiplomat View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 04:14
Originally posted by AssyrianGuy7

Turkey is not good enough to join the EU. Turkeywill let in to many muslims into Europe which could leed to a war between christianity and islam.

HahahahaThats was the most .....childish argumant i have heard recently...

Turks will never,but people like will try to start a war between religions...And i will never hesitate to fight againts anyone who uses religious differences for starting conflicts in the community

You tend to forget that there are already 3.5 million Turks in the EU countries..and they pool over 50 billion euros in the countries they live in, which equal to a bit large number of the EU budget....

ARDA:The best Turkish diplomat ever!

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 04:10
Originally posted by Christscrusader

Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

If Turkey joins Europe will have to feed 70 million people.

Exactly what ive been saying. Turkey is impovertish and Europe does not want to support 70 million people. If it can not even feed its people, how can its economy become this GREat idea as you have been thinking? And theres the proof, I've said its poverty stricken and THANK YOU for supporting my thought.

Jagatai couldnt express himself well.he wanted to say what extreme populist approaches used againts Turkish accession by people like you...

The Turkish GDP will double within next 10  years...Besides,may i remind you that Turkiye is already a member of G-20...it ranks the 17. largest economy in the world....so illogical argumants will not make any sense...BBC responses to you instead of me

Turkey EU entry as big as 'D-Day'
Joschka Fischer
Joschka Fischer said Turkey was "heavyweight"
German Foreign Minister Joschka Fischer has said Turkish entry to the European Union would be as important for Europe as the D-Day invasion 60 years ago.

Mr Fischer told the BBC that Europe needs to bring in Turkey and use its influence to make the country secular.

Turkish membership was a key way to liberate Europe from the threat of insecurity from the Middle East and "terrorist ideas", the minister added.

There is significant public opposition to Turkey's accession in Germany.

But Mr Fischer indicated the state's entry would be strategic in the long-term.

"To modernise an Islamic country based on the shared values of Europe would be almost a D-Day for Europe in the war against terror," he said.

"It would be the greatest positive challenge for these totalitarian and terrorist ideas."

'Big question'

The new European Commission has recommended that Turkey is now ready to begin full negotiations on joining the EU.

At a summit in December, the EU leaders will use the report as the basis for deciding whether or not to open negotiations on the Turkish bid.

"Turkey is heavyweight and will be the biggest country in the future," the minister told Radio 4's Today programme.

The bridge across the Bosporus
Turkey - a bridge between East and West?

"The big question will be is Europe ready to digest such a big member state?"

Mr Fischer said that before the 11 September 2001 attacks he had been sceptical about the EU bordering Syria, Iraq and Iran.

He suggested it was now strategically important.

"Our security will be defined for at least five decades in this region... whether we like it or not."

Germany has been more forthright in its views on the EU's relationship with Turkey than France, which is deeply divided on the issue and has promised a referendum.

In the wide-ranging interview, the minister also said that his country supports efforts to re-build Iraq, but will not send troops to the country.

Mr Fischer also described the UN as "indispensable", but urged reform.

"It is weak and we must reform that," he said.

Edited by TheDiplomat

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 04:04

Originally posted by Cywr

I really don't see why Europe would need to feed Turkish people, what, it Turkey so screwed up she can't feed herself?
Besides, if it genuinly was true,  it would give the EU somewhere to dump their surpluses.

Exactly.The U.S Commerce Department identified Turkiye in  most emerging 10 markets worldwide with huge youth population...If the EU dont access to The Turkish markets,other countries will.

Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote TheDiplomat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Nov-2004 at 04:00
Originally posted by Imperatore Dario I

Originally posted by Christscrusader

whoever said turkey is dumb. Turkey is a poor country with a bad economy and there slightly larger population won't help them much now. Besides, u can't call a country European when its capital and majority of population AREN'T in Europe.

Who said the term "European" applies only geographically? No one. Turkey played a major role in European history, and its people are majorly Westernized (except of course the Kurdish population in the East). Turkey is a member of NATO, and was able to apply for the European Union. Funny how if a country is not European is allowed to apply for the EUROPEAN Union.

That was the spectacular,most -down-to-earth answer ever,Imperatore.

Edited by TheDiplomat

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 13:48

The United Kingdom is by far the most powerful nation in europe. (with the exception of russia).

The size of it's army is averge, but it is the most technologicaly advanced military force in europe because it is really the only nation that has tried to keep pace with the technological lead of the USA, indeed the UK and the USA work closely in developing military equipment.  The British are also well trained and have much experience on the battle field.

The Uk is also (now) the most economically powerful country in europe so in an 'all out war' would stand a better chance than it's european neigbours.

Russian is probably a little more powerful because of the the amount of ships, aircraft, battle field tanks and army personel they have, howver due to their econmic situation they have recently relied more on quantity than quality, they certainly have not kept up with the technological lead of the americans as the brits have.

Ofcourse when it really comes to power you would have to rank the UK, France and Russian the same because they are the only in europe with nuclear capability.

AssyrianGuy7 View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote AssyrianGuy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 00:02

Egpyt, Mesopotamia(Iraq) and Persia(Iran) played a big role in Europe should they be able to join the EU. I think not. Just because they played a big role in Europe doesn't mean they can join. Turkey is not good enough to join the EU. Turkeywill let in to many muslims into Europe which could leed to a war between christianity and islam. all countries will most likey end up spliting ex bosnia.  In sweden their is alot of problems between swedish and turks.  if swedish have problems then who wouldn't. they are one of the most peaceful

"Blessed be my people, Egypt, and the work of my hands, Assyria, and my special possession, Israel!"
(Isaiah 19:23-25)
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Nov-2004 at 00:02

FIrst of all, whoever thinks military and ecomony do not go hand in hand, then you are GREATLY mistaken. How can you keep the war machine running if who cannot PAY for it? Also, so how does Greece stack up in this thing, even though its economy isn't the best..

-Jc
Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2004 at 12:50
Originally posted by Jagatai Khan

If Turkey joins Europe will have to feed 70 million people.

Exactly what ive been saying. Turkey is impovertish and Europe does not want to support 70 million people. If it can not even feed its people, how can its economy become this GREat idea as you have been thinking? And theres the proof, I've said its poverty stricken and THANK YOU for supporting my thought.

-Jc
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 13:54
I really don't see why Europe would need to feed Turkish people, what, it Turkey so screwed up she can't feed herself?
Besides, if it genuinly was true,  it would give the EU somewhere to dump their surpluses.
Arrrgh!!"
Jagatai Khan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Jeune Turc

Quote Jagatai Khan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2004 at 11:41

E.U countries is afraid of "big eastern migration" which can come from the borders of Turkey.

If Turkey joins Europe will have to feed 70 million people.But they she can also have a great army with dynamic young population.

Also as you know Turkey is in domination of USA.Europe can broke this domination taking Europe on their side

Baron
Baron

Quote Christscrusader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2004 at 15:46

Israel also wants to join the EU but there deffinantly not a European COuntry. Also, the E.U. members obviously don't want Turkish to join the E.U. Why do you think they keep putting them off?

-Jc
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>