Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1000th execution in the USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1000th execution in the USA
    Posted: 03-Dec-2005 at 22:51
banning guns in America won't change anything. Those who decide to kill someone will do so, even if they had no guns, they'll bash the persons head with a bat.

And guns dont kill people, Death kills people!!!! its a proven medical fact!!!!!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2005 at 07:52
Originally posted by Constantine XI

They look at it as if the smuggler makes it onto the street with his product (in this case it was heroin), he ultimately may end up killing dozens of people who overdose on it, kill and mug people ot pay for their habit, have car accidents while on they're high etc. It may not be directly killing people, but ultimately may facilitate more deaths and greater crime affecting the community.

With that logic people who drive cars should also get sentenced to death (because of the exhaust gasses and possible accidents). And cigarette producers (and people who smoke). Soldiers.  Vine growers and beer brewers. etc. etc.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Dec-2005 at 09:10
Originally posted by Komnenos

What still needs to be explained by our American friends who so eloquently defend the capital punishment in their country, is why all the other states that still practise the death penalty and have similar large rates of annual executions, are states that, to put it mildly, are not exactly known for their democratic and liberal political systems.  citizens?

i am not your american friend ,but it seems to be obviously ,cause  the usa has changed from a democratic country to an state that is ruled by an obscure goverment of political fundamentalists and bible bushers.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2005 at 10:36

Originally posted by Super Goat (^_^)

banning guns in America won't change anything. Those who decide to kill someone will do so, even if they had no guns, they'll bash the persons head with a bat.

And guns dont kill people, Death kills people!!!! its a proven medical fact!!!!!

That argument would work very well if the USA was the only country in the world, and there wouldn't be other countries to compare it with. Unfortunately for its proponents, countries where gun laws are stricter and are enforced, also have lower criminality rates by far, especially for murder.

Check out the following site. You'll notice that the top countries in terms of murder rates are mostly countries where there is a lot of instability and little gun control enforcement. The US may not have the highest murder rate, when compared to Colombia, but you'll notice that western European countries have murder rates about 3 times lower than the US, while Japan has a rate that's alomost 10 times lower.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Vamun Tianshu View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Vamun Tianshu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2005 at 20:29
1000 is not a lot,especially since I can firmly believe more than 1000 people were murdered in 29 years.However,justly,I do not approve of the US Punishment System,simply because I don't approve of the Legal System.Someone who has money and is not innocent could easily overshadow the poor,but innocent victim.Of course,there is the racial issue,and lower-income minorities are more prone to crime than their higher-income neighbors(which mostly includes Caucasians).The US claims to have a fair Legal System,but it has so many flaws,just like everything else it claims to "be" and "have",its impossble to accurately count the statistics.

In Honor
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 02:33
Originally posted by Vamun Tianshu

However,justly,I do not approve of the US Punishment System,simply because I don't approve of the Legal System.Someone who has money and is not innocent could easily overshadow the poor,but innocent victim

Someone mention OJ ........?
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 11:12

Originally posted by Constantine XI

Originally posted by Vamun Tianshu

However,justly,I do not approve of the US Punishment System,simply because I don't approve of the Legal System.Someone who has money and is not innocent could easily overshadow the poor,but innocent victim

Someone mention OJ ........?

Someone mention Michael Jackson?

Money and celebrity work wonders.

Edited by pikeshot1600
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 12:30

Supergoat,

First: Many kills by guns are accidents (somebody pointed out that many of these cases occur within the family structures). If these guns were not around, these accidents would probably not occur.

Second: Many people get killed by guns because it's easier to take a life by pulling on a trigger that using a baseball bat as you say, or a knife or whatever...

Thrid: having a gun is to be a coward, it only means you are afraid of your neighbour...

Cheers.
Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2005 at 23:54

I support the death penalty in principle. I'm divided somewhat because you can make mistakes. In any event in my perfect world crimes such as sexual assault and murder would demand capitol punishment. Once you take the life of a person, why do you deserve to retain your own?

When I hear about good people being murdered in cold blood because they were at the wrong place at the wrong time, i think the offender should be executed. When some @$$ hole breaks into somebodys house and slaughters the who family for some cheap thrill, i think they should be executed.

It has been proven that the death penalty is not a deterrentIt doesnt matter to me. The death penalty is a form of punishment in my opinion.

I wonder, those of you who opposed to the death penalty. Do you oppose it in all circumstances?

What about treason during wartime?

Or what of class A war criminals?

I also wonder, will Milosevic be executed?

Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 00:00

Thrid: having a gun is to be a coward, it only means you are afraid of your neighbour...

Cheers.

Ok thats fine. When some guys break into your house with baseball bats and you have a little butter knife with which to defend your self with, I'm sure it will all work out.......as they club you and tie up your wife and do every disgusting act they can think of to her.

You are naive. You do not know what its like to live in America. Our society has allot of problems (I admit it) and as a result there are allot of crazy b****** around. If you live in Sweden, you live among 8 million people or so. I live in a city with 1/3 of your whole population. Do you know you are not supposed to hitchhike or are supposed to pick up hitchhikers? DO you know that you do not go into certain places in your city after dark?

jfmff View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote jfmff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2005 at 07:43
Helo.

I would like to suggest that a topic about guns (should they be permited or not?) should be created. more  than once I saw a topic go off topic to the discussion of guns...
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2005 at 23:45
Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

What still needs to be explained by our American
friends who so eloquently defend the capital punishment in their
country, is why all the other states that still practise the death
penalty and have similar large rates of annual executions, are states
that, to put it mildly, are not exactly known for their democratic and
liberal political systems. citizens?

i am not your american friend ,but it seems to be obviously
,cause the usa has changed from a democratic country to an state
that is ruled by an obscure goverment of political fundamentalists and
bible bushers.

Give me a break - this isn't worth answering!!
another America hater I suppose!!
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 00:02
I think it is funny how people who are often against the death penalty, even for a rapist who has brutally raped and tortured his victim, are often pro abortion or support the murder of innocent babies and call it a choice.
Getting back to the subject- I only support the death penalty in real extreme cases based on the circumstances.

I agree with Supergoat, but we should create another thread but you attitude is common among many Europeans. At this point if they tried to ban guns it could explode into revolt, many people feel that strong about the 2nd amendment. Especially in the area I live in and most of the Pacific NW. I will start that thread and see what springs forth!!

First: Many kills by guns are accidents (somebody pointed out that many of these cases occur within the family structures). If these guns were not around, these accidents would probably not occur.

Second: Many people get killed by guns because it's easier to take a life by pulling on a trigger that using a baseball bat as you say, or a knife or whatever...

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 01:31
Originally posted by eaglecap

Originally posted by ulrich von hutten

What still needs to be explained by our American
friends who so eloquently defend the capital punishment in their
country, is why all the other states that still practise the death
penalty and have similar large rates of annual executions, are states
that, to put it mildly, are not exactly known for their democratic and
liberal political systems. citizens?

i am not your american friend ,but it seems to be obviously
,cause the usa has changed from a democratic country to an state
that is ruled by an obscure goverment of political fundamentalists and
bible bushers.

usaly i don't hate a continents ,but if  i hate anything  , then  human beings  ,wether they come from the states , iran , new-south wales , patagonia or anywhere else in the world. if i would hate. then then the behaviour and the thinking of someone. and let me say this eaglecap , to announce the truth is my damned duty ,like it is yours. but the point is ,there are to many truths, different people call them their own.
and by the way ,is it worth to answer---? the worth of simple question may be high, but the worth of a true answer is essentials.
so please let me love and hate what ever i want.... thanks  a lot

kaleenichta usa

Edited by ulrich von hutten

vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Quote vulkan02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 01:43
I wrote an extensive paper on the death penalty back in high school and one of the things that i remember is that crime and especially murder in the states that enforce it is considerably higher than the states that do not.

However prison sentences are so long in the U.S. (double to those in Europe) that death is probably more desirable than a life of suffering and eating all the  garbage food in U.S. prisons. Plus, believe it or not the whole process of a death penalty costs much more than a lifetime of prison for an inmate!

American lifestyle has created its own problems as far as the rate of crime is concerned. These people are not always born rapists, murderers, kidnappers etc. They are driven to these extremes because they are simply rejected and not given a chance by the fiercely individualist American society.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2005 at 12:10

Oh come on, criticism of the USA doesn't make somebody an 'America hater'. The fact that people criticize the US government means that they care about America.

I think it is funny how people who are often against the death penalty, even for a rapist who has brutally raped and tortured his victim, are often pro abortion or support the murder of innocent babies and call it a choice.

I think it's the other way around. People who are 'pro-life' tend to support the death penalty (or wars, which are not really known as bringers of life either). Abortion is not murder, since fetuses are not humans (yet).

I agree with Supergoat, but we should create another thread but you attitude is common among many Europeans.

[sarcasm]another Europe hater I suppose!![/sarcasm]
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 16:54
Originally posted by Loknar

Cheers.

Ok thats fine. When some guys break into your house with baseball bats and you have a little butter knife with which to defend your self with, I'm sure it will all work out.......as they club you and tie up your wife and do every disgusting act they can think of to her.

You are naive. You do not know what its like to live in America. Our society has allot of problems (I admit it) and as a result there are allot of crazy b****** around. If you live in Sweden, you live among 8 million people or so. I live in a city with 1/3 of your whole population. Do you know you are not supposed to hitchhike or are supposed to pick up hitchhikers? DO you know that you do not go into certain places in your city after dark?

If you can come up with one example of a case occuring in a country which has strict gun regulation, where people broke into a house with baseball bats and raped a woman, I would sure like to hear it...

As for your population argument, let's compare Japan and the US: Japan has a crime rate of 1.47 per 100,000 population. Comparable US and British figures are 7.92 and 3.24. Armed robbery is at 1.82, compared with a US figure of 205.38 and 50.02 in Britain. Japan by the way, has almost half of the US population, constricted in a country almost 30 times smaller. Britain has a population that's 4-5 times smaller, and a country 40 times smaller.

Many social problems are partly related to poor gun control. A gun gives a criminal a sense of power and will push him to do things he wouldn't have dreamed of otherwise. It is much much harder psychologically to beat someone to death with a baseball bat, than to pull a trigger. When people have guns, there is a vicious circle created where the perception is that the only way to protect yourself is to have a gun, which will ensure that any self-respective criminal will have a gun, etc. 

Napoleon Bonaparte

Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2005 at 18:30

Originally posted by Decebal

Originally posted by Loknar

If you can come up with one example of a case occuring in a country which has strict gun regulation, where people broke into a house with baseball bats and raped a woman, I would sure like to hear it...

I"m saying that here in America its likely to happen in the place of guns.

As for your population argument, let's compare Japan and the US: Japan has a crime rate of 1.47 per 100,000 population. Comparable US and British figures are 7.92 and 3.24. Armed robbery is at 1.82, compared with a US figure of 205.38 and 50.02 in Britain. Japan by the way, has almost half of the US population, constricted in a country almost 30 times smaller. Britain has a population that's 4-5 times smaller, and a country 40 times smaller.

Every nation and culture are different. And If Im not mistaken, Britain has out-lawed gun-ownership yet their strict gun laws dont seem to halt armed robbery.

Many social problems are partly related to poor gun control

Actually Americas gun control laws are quite strict. and your claim is way out there. social problems come from economic conditions, not guns.

[quote]

. A gun gives a criminal a sense of power and will push him to do things he wouldn't have dreamed of otherwise. It is much much harder psychologically to beat someone to death with a baseball bat, than to pull a trigger.

How do you know this? Would you risk your life on such a claim? Do you know how many times I've heard of people being stomped into the ground by crowds of people? Or how about the use of rocks on peoples heads? if somebody can kill with a gun you can bet they're crazy enough to use a bat.

[quote] When people have guns, there is a vicious circle created where the perception is that the only way to protect yourself is to have a gun, which will ensure that any self-respective criminal will have a gun, etc.

Criminals shouldnt have guns, however, in Americans messed up society they do have guns. If I owned a store, you bet your butt I'd have a gun.

You are a naive person I think. You dont know what its like here in America. You dont know the crazy SOBs walking around on the streets.

btw, short of becoming a martial arts expert who can disarm an armed intruder, how can the average man protect him self from a country full of armed thugs?

Yes we're armed here like you wouldnt believe. We have many law abiding citizens who own guns responsibly and we have street trash who buy guns on the black market.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 10:37

Sure, people can die in many ways. And yes, there will be people willing to kill someone with a baseball bat. But that doesn't mean that they should have access to a gun, which is an even more deadly weapon. I think that while some people are capable of murdering someone regardless of the circumstances, most murderers would have a much harder time killing someone if guns weren't involved. If you think about it, most people who end up murdering someone, don't do it because they're crazy and they just want to kill. They are usually after some sort of gain, typically a robbery, and they kill people in the heat of the moment
(the victim fights back, they panic, etc.). Without a gun, many of these deaths would be averted. I advise you to do some research. You'll find that most crimes are done with guns bought legally (at least initially), not on the black market.

Why do you assume that I don't know what life is like in the US? You don't know anything about me. I may have lived in the US, for all you know. You ask me if I would risk my life on my claim that it's harder to kill without a gun. Well, for your information, I was once mugged by three men who had bats, chains and a knife. I simply remained calm, just gave them my money, and the worst I got out of it was a punch on the chin. If they had guns, things might have turned out differently, I don't know. I do think that the odds of me dying at that moment would have been much greater if they had guns. Let's pretend I had a gun, and I would have shot one of them? Perhaps I would have killed one of them, or maybe they would have gotten me first. In any case, the situation would have escalated and things could have turned out much worse for me or for them.

You tell me that I'm naive, yet you make some naive assumptions as well. You talk about protecting yourself from "armed thugs", so you want to level the field, by ensuring that you, as well as they, have a gun. I'm talking about neither of you having a gun. Level playing field again, but less dangerous. And the thing is, why should you have to protect yourself? The days of the Wild West are gone. There  are laws and it's not up to every Joe Blow to enforce them; it is the police who should do that for you. You also talk as if in America, there are simply that many more crazies running around than in other places. Did you ever ask yourself why?

Your attitude is exactly my point: there is a perception in the US that it the world is a very dangerous place, that armed criminals are out to get you, and that the only way to protect yourself is to have a gun. This in turn ensures that the would-be criminals out there have to get themselves a gun, or they wouldn't be very succesful criminals now, would they? And this reinforces the perception, creating a vicious circle. 

Edited by Decebal
Napoleon Bonaparte

Loknar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Loknar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2005 at 10:56

Originally posted by Decebal

Sure, people can die in many ways. And yes, there will be people willing to kill someone with a baseball bat. But that doesn't mean that they should have access to a gun, which is an even more deadly weapon. I think that while some people are capable of murdering someone regardless of the circumstances, most murderers would have a much harder time killing someone if guns weren't involved. If you think about it, most people who end up murdering someone, don't do it because they're crazy and they just want to kill. They are usually after some sort of gain, typically a robbery, and they kill people in the heat of the moment
(the victim fights back, they panic, etc.). Without a gun, many of these deaths would be averted. I advise you to do some research. You'll find that most crimes are done with guns bought legally (at least initially), not on the black market.

That may be true, but what if the criminal held somebody up with a knife (not unheard of) and the person was stabbed?  sure he would probably live. The thing is, however, that the guy is out robbing people in the first place. Out-lawing guns wont solve that problem.

Why do you assume that I don't know what life is like in the US? You don't know anything about me. I may have lived in the US, for all you know.

Look, I am sorry for making that statement. You're right I know nothing about you and I shouldnt make assumptions.

You tell me that I'm naive, yet you make some naive assumptions as well. You talk about protecting yourself from "armed thugs", so you want to level the field, by ensuring that you, as well as they, have a gun. I'm talking about neither of you having a gun. Level playing field again, but less dangerous. And the thing is, why should you have to protect yourself?

You're exactly right, why should I have to protect my self? In a perfect society guns would be available to everybody with no background check so that they may shoot discs of do some target practice or hunt. But we live in a very criminal society unfortunately. The days of the wild west are over, but the thing is there are so many guns on the street. If they were out-lawed I promise you the only people who would be disarmed would be the common man who has broken no laws. Our society is what needs to change.

And I hope you dont believe I think criminals should have guns. I believe in gun ownership permits and background checks.

The days of the Wild West are gone. There  are laws and it's not up to every Joe Blow to enforce them; it is the police who should do that for you. You also talk as if in America, there are simply that many more crazies running around than in other places. Did you ever ask yourself why?

Police cant be everywhere all the time.

are there more crazies per capita here than most places? I'm not sure. The people committing the crimes though typically come from impoverished backgrounds. I think economic improvement is the long term solution.

Your attitude is exactly my point: there is a perception in the US that it the world is a very dangerous place, that armed criminals are out to get you, and that the only way to protect yourself is to have a gun.

I'd still like an answer.. short of being a martial arts expert who can dis arm people, how can i protect my self when a guy has a gun pointed at me? I believe in America there are supposedly 400,000 home invasions per year, keep that in mind.

I dont have a gun, I dont feel comfortable owning one. But I do have a foot long hunting knife and 2 swords. If some guy wants to break in, and hes armed, lets hope hes a bad shot.

This in turn ensures that the would-be criminals out there have to get themselves a gun, or they wouldn't be very succesful criminals now, would they? And this reinforces the perception, creating a vicious circle. 

I'm curious, what do you think of when you hear about a man shooting dead an intruder?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>