Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1000th execution in the USA

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1000th execution in the USA
    Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 08:14
The 1000th prisoner was executed in the US, since death penalty was re-instated in 1976.

The Dutch section of Amnesty International protested last night against capital punishment, in a rather solemn and impressive manner. A cross for every execution, with name and date, was placed in the square in front of the American embassy in The Hague.

May I join in the congratulations to the American political and legal system for this great humanitarian achievement, that puts the USA in the world rankings of executions right in the top, only surpassed by other democratic countries, like the PR China, Iran, Saudi Arabia and Vietnam.(Source: Wikipedia)

Edited by Komnenos
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 08:37

The USA... The world's finest democracy... How sad and inhumane.

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 08:44
How about a little equal time for Singapore hanging the Australian citizen?
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 09:09
Yeah... not better...
azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 09:19

can you explain why is that "inhuman"?

i remmeber talking to one of my spanish friends about this and he told me the reason why jail is better than execution is that Jailing someone for life is more torturing !!

from that i would say execution isnt "inhuman".

sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 09:30

Why should a State be allowed to take lives, what and/or who makes it legitimate?

Many prisoners still see their close ones while incarcerated, maybe we should think about the families too, what would you say?

Capital punishment doesn't arrange anything (in the US) - statistics prove this...

More executions does not lower the crime rate.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 10:00

mm

why a state be allowed to take lives? because its the authority which makes rules and inforce these rules. and suppose to punish whoever break these rules.

what and/or who makes it legitimate? what made a killer killing  innocent people legitimate? what would the families of these victims think about the person who just killed their loved ones?

i dont know if its improving or not.

i think someone who killed other person without any right to do so ( self protection ... etc) deserves to be killed as well.

in some cases i am with execution.

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 10:20
Wow, 1,000 dangerous and worthless human beings are no longer cancers of society, that really breaks my friggin heart.  I'm ashamed that number isn't higher, like 10,000 or 25,000, god knows it needs to be.
Member of IAEA
sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 10:34

Wow Genghis !!!

What would happen if you were to become US president?!!!  Bush has nothing on you !!!

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 10:46
Originally posted by sedamoun

Wow Genghis !!!

What would happen if you were to become US president?!!!  Bush has nothing on you !!!

Thanks!

Member of IAEA
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 10:59
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 11:38
I personally am against the death penalty on moral grounds, but I support it in the U.S. on pragmatic ones. I would much rather that it would be banned, but I understand why a big segment of the U.S. supports it.

There are two reasons why the death penalty exists in the U.S. One of them is the cultural values of a huge component of the U.S. population and the other one is the U.S. legal system.

A significant portion of the U.S. population have something like a Wild West view of justice. The crime must be paid, and those who murder should be killed themselves. This is punishment against the criminal and a lesson to society, or at least it intends to do so.

Keep in mind that the payment for the crime is ritualistic; the public execution must occur, regardless of the real cupability of the accuss.

I must qualify that only a segment of the population believes this. The U.S. is a nation formed of many different cultures, and they offend have different or opposite views on different issues.

The legal problem is that the U.S. legal system cannot deal with recidivist criminals who escalate their crimes each time they come out of jail.

A common theme is the following: a sexual predator starts by raping women and letting them live. One of their victims will go to the authorities and identify them from a suspect's line. The person goes to prison for about four years.

When they come out, all what they have learned is that they need to make the victim unconscious, maybe kill her.

If they are caught again, because the victim survived a poorly executed murder, they learn to increase the violence the next time, to make sure that she will die.

Rape is, in most cases, a ten-year sentence. With good behavior, most criminals only serve a third, so that means that in four years, the rapist is out again.

There have been a few cases where a person almost killed their victim during rape, but because they didn't murder them, they get 15 to 20 years for attempted murder. This translates into five to seven years of actual prison time.

So, when these people actually murder someone, the only way to keep them off the streets is to give them the death penalty.

The legal problem is what sways moderates or leftists into suporting the death penalty.

Now, there are many problems with the way how the death penalty is given. This varies from state to state. Most condemned are poor Black of Hispanic in Texas, the death penalty capital of the nation. Virginia, the second state with most executions, seems to execute people more in line with its population numbers, the majority of the cases being white.

Some states want a death conviction regardless of the true culpability of the accused.

Furthermore, having death-sentenced prisoners is way, way more expensive than having life-time setences. Normally, after a sentence has been given, there will be another ten to fifteen years constant legal battles, and lawyers in the U.S. are not cheap.

On the other hand, havign life sentences with no parole is not somethign that prisons look forward too. Parole is the main way of keeping prisoners under control. Removing it creates the possibility of increasing in-prison violence.

As you can see, this is a very complex issue.
Thegeneral View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Thegeneral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 11:47
I am supposed to be against the death penatly, for I am Catholic.  However, that is one thing my religion isn't going to change.  Why have these problems sitting in jail wasting our money just to keep them alive?  It makes no sense.
morticia View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Editor

Quote morticia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 12:29
Only 1000 since 1976?
Well, no wonder we still have so much crime!
"Morty

Trust in God: She will provide." -- Emmeline Pankhurst
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 13:01

Originally posted by morticia

Only 1000 since 1976?
Well, no wonder we still have so much crime!

Haha, exactly!  I like your thinking!

Member of IAEA
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 13:53

I wonder what percentage of those 1000 were rightwingers who believed

"1,000 dangerous and worthless human beings are no longer cancers of society, that really breaks my friggin heart.  I'm ashamed that number isn't higher, like 10,000 or 25,000, god knows it needs to be."

Then one day were mistakenly arrested for a crime they didn't commit, convicted because they a poor quality legal aid defence, sentenced to death, executed and had 1000 rightwingers say

"Wow, 1,000 dangerous and worthless human beings are no longer cancers of society, that really breaks my friggin heart.  I'm ashamed that number isn't higher, like 10,000 or 25,000, god knows it needs to be."

As they were executed.

Hopefully a really high percentage.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Alkiviades View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Alkiviades Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 14:06
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 14:15
Originally posted by hugoestr

I personally am against the death penalty on moral grounds, but I support it in the U.S. on pragmatic ones.

I agree that the US prison system is extremely rotten and counterproductive, but to solve that the prison system (or rather the entire juridical system) should be changed. Death penalty is never justified, a corrupt juridical system makes it even worse.
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 14:47
so it would be a perfect idea to take a stern cell or other genetic material from this delinquents ,cause when somites its clear that they were innocent, like it happens very often ,they can make a cloning of the executed persons.
greetings from george orwell. i have to suffer a lot ,by reading all this disagreeable and fascitoid thoughts. and ,i have to vomit myself by reading ,that there are thousands too little murdered by the society with a clear consience.

sedamoun View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote sedamoun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2005 at 14:53
Don't you americans think that you should deal with your HUGE social problems that are the root of your criminality - maybe stop believing that owning guns is a constitutional (which was valid some 22 years ago) right and only a billion dollar industry' will that doesn't giving any value to citizens lives?

The social inequalities leaving the large majority of americans living in terrible conditions? not equal opportunities (healthcare, education...) for all... like minorities?

I think i just fired up a bomb, heheheeeeee.

While waiting for your answers, as one of your great philosophers said :
"The needs of the many...outweigh the needs of the few" Mr. Spock.

By the way hugoestr, your post was really good, i understand your point of view.

Cheers my friends.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>