Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Study of history

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Online Status: Offline
  Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Study of history
    Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 17:56

Hey all,

Many of us are familiar with the various dynasties of various East Asian countries, but I can't help but think that we're taking this knowledge quite for granted.  So what are the real sources of this knowledge?  This question might be too professional for most of us here, but I hope that some of you guys can contribute (it's been a problem plaguing my mind for a while now.)  For example, how do we know that there really was a Han or Sung or Ly or Choson dynasty?  People would immediately say that, "it's ridiculous to say that there wasn't," but how do we really know?  I know there are tons of historical documents, but have we verified them?  Can we simply take for granted what modern historians say?  I'm not doubting conventional wisdom here, I'm trying to re-examine it to see how much of it we can prove.  Like I said, I've been troubled by this question, so please help me out here.

Peace,

Michael

9-29-2004

demon View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 18:31

To start with, I know I am biased, and I can't help myself.  But here's what I think...

There has been so many distortions in Eastern countries.  I feel that it originated from teh philosophy that a good root supported the country better.  Or that a country without a history has no future.  something like that.

Grrr..
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 18:50

Hey demon,

Interesting thought, but can you give me some examples of what you're talking about here?  thanks.

Peace,

Michael

9-29-2004

Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Sep-2004 at 20:11
WHen theres laods of documented evidence for something..it prolly existed, the devil as they say, is in the details.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 03:25

Wow, that's getting philosophical, Mengtzu?  I feel like I am being asked if I can prove 1+1 =2.

I guess the real way to prove it is through archeology.  And most of these dynasties have been proven to exist.

Edited by hansioux
Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
Kulong View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Kulong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 14:25
It's all political.

This is why history is always being revised because those who are in
charge keeps changing.
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 19:12

Hey Hansioux,

You are the second person to confuse my concern with philosophy.  My preoccupation here has nothing to do with philosophy -- how to interpret events, whether things have pattern, etc. -- I'm solely interested in the ascertaining of facts.  How do we do that.  Archeology is good but it works no better than clues art a crime scene: you desperately try to piece a big picture together, but even if you succeed, a freezed frame of the past can really tell so much.  I rather opt for written documents.  They are not without problems, but at least they are better at attempting to give acnedotal accounts and therefore give a more complete picture.  We just need avoid insisting on their interpretative comments.

Peace,

Michael

9-30-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 19:42
Originally posted by MengTzu

Hey Hansioux,

You are the second person to confuse my concern with philosophy.  My preoccupation here has nothing to do with philosophy -- how to interpret events, whether things have pattern, etc. -- I'm solely interested in the ascertaining of facts.  How do we do that.  Archeology is good but it works no better than clues art a crime scene: you desperately try to piece a big picture together, but even if you succeed, a freezed frame of the past can really tell so much.  I rather opt for written documents.  They are not without problems, but at least they are better at attempting to give acnedotal accounts and therefore give a more complete picture.  We just need avoid insisting on their interpretative comments.

Peace,

Michael

9-30-2004

To prove something exist is part of philosophy i am afraid   How do you prove that you and I exist?  Well, written documents is part of the Archeology.  Let's put it this way, people don't believe that Xia dynasty existed.  The only way to prove it is to find some artifact from Xia's era that has the writting indication it is written by people of Xia dynasty.  That is how they proved Shang dynasty existed.  Otherwise, no matter how many truck loads of written documentation you find on Xia dynasty can't prove that it existed.

Begging plea of the weak can only receive disrespect, violence and oppression as bestowments. Blood and sweat of the weak can only receive insult, blame and abuse as rewards.

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 20:11

Hey Hansioux,

You can say that.  My point is that my concern isn't some abstract ontological issue of "how do we know if things have qualities," that sorta thing.  My question is really simple: show me the citations for the history books we're using.  That's really it.  I'm just wary of reading historical textbooks telling fascinating stories without ever showing, "oh, that was from the Shiji."

Peace,

Michael

9-30-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 20:19

Hey Hansioux,

You can say that.  My point is that my concern isn't some abstract ontological issue of "how do we know if things have qualities," that sorta thing.  My question is really simple: show me the citations for the history books we're using.  That's really it.  I'm just wary of reading historical textbooks telling fascinating stories without ever showing, "oh, that was from the Shiji."

Peace,

Michael

9-30-2004

I see.  I do my best showing all my sources when I am on a long drawn discussions.  I hope everyone else does the same....

But not to the point of just pasting sources like someone did a while ago.  That gets to another extreme

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 20:24

Hey Hansioux,

Well, what I mean is the average history books you buy, or the history websites you find.  Sure, they have a sickeningly long list of bibliography, but lo and behold: it's a list of other writers!  How the heck do I know who "John Beck" is and what his "Development of Chinese Culture" was about, and how is it helpful that this citing will help me find the source?  I mean, yeah, I'm supposed to get that book and read it, but I'm afraid that might just refer me to more books like that.  Sick of that crap man.  And then you look at a lot of books that just plainly talk about chronological history -- not a single source.  Especially the Chinese ones.  bleh.  There's a reason why we aren't winning Nobel prices.

Peace,

Michael

9-30-2004

hansioux View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote hansioux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 20:27

Hey Hansioux,

Well, what I mean is the average history books you buy, or the history websites you find.  Sure, they have a sickeningly long list of bibliography, but lo and behold: it's a list of other writers!  How the heck do I know who "John Beck" is and what his "Development of Chinese Culture" was about, and how is it helpful that this citing will help me find the source?  I mean, yeah, I'm supposed to get that book and read it, but I'm afraid that might just refer me to more books like that.  Sick of that crap man.  And then you look at a lot of books that just plainly talk about chronological history -- not a single source.  Especially the Chinese ones.  bleh.  There's a reason why we aren't winning Nobel prices.

Peace,

Michael

9-30-2004

Well, thank god there isn't a Nobel history prices....

Lai Ho, Formosan Poet
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Sep-2004 at 20:33

Hey Hansioux,

Oh nuts, there isn't?

Peace,

Michael

9-30-2004

Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Oct-2004 at 00:44
How do we prove a country existed?  we can't...how do we prove that we are selves exist at this very moment?  We could be some computer program running in some other beings living right now....if that's the case I want to restart...
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 03:13

Hey Gubuk,

Haha, let's not get into too deep a tangent here.  My point was merely how the writers of conventional history books get their sources in the first place.  I'm not saying they are to be doubted: I'm just asking for information they should be able to readily give.

Peace,

Michael

10-3-2004

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 03:14
Weird.  I just made this reply and it didn't go all the way to the top.
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 14:13

Weird.  I just made this reply and it didn't go all the way to the top.

It's probably because of our time problems...

Lol I didn't mean to get that out of it..but it was late at night...and I had a lot of HW...lol

How did the eldars get their sources?  I'm thinking legend and oral tradition.  Perhaps they made up some of their stuff...perhaps like ancient ultra-nationalists. 
sephodwyrm View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote sephodwyrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 16:04

You want sources:

Here they are:

archaeological findings, written records from the past, original transcripts

That's it. Its not hard at all.

"Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them"
"Not what goes into the mouth that defiles the Man, but what comes out of the mouth" Matthew 7:12, 15:11
MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 23:21

Hey Gubuk,

I'm not talking about the elders -- I'm not talking about how, say, Sima Qian first got is sources.  Guys, I'm talking about something so insanely simple (and I think you guys missed my point because it's so simple that we never think about it.)  I mean, like, where did so and so textbook published by so and so publisher, and it's a book used by high schools to teach history, where did they get their sources.  Of course I don't expect anyone to know this so specifically, but I mean, where did conventional history come from in the first place?

Peace,

Michael

10-4-2004

MengTzu View Drop Down
General
General

Retired Moderator

Quote MengTzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Oct-2004 at 23:25

Hey Sephodwyrm,

I'm not saying it's hard; in fact, the problem here is that it seems so simple that we never pay it much mind.  Those things you suggested are really the things that I suppose are the only ways history can be confirmed.  Problem is that we need to confirm these things first.  Do you have any sources saying that the archeological findings are verified?  Sources that the 24 histories are confirmed as authentic?  Sources that the surviving historical monuments are actually what we think they are?  I think a problem here is that whenever someone sees a question like this, his reaction is, "what, you think we've been wrong this whole time?"  No, I'm not saying that.  It's really much more simple than that.  It's not a rhetorical question at all.

Peace,

Michael

10-4-2004

Edited by MengTzu
 Post Reply Post Reply