Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

San Francisco Bans Military Recruiters on Schools

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: San Francisco Bans Military Recruiters on Schools
    Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 22:57
San Francisco voters approve military recruiting bans

San Francisco approved ballot measures to ban handguns in San Francisco and urge the city's public high schools and college campuses to keep out military recruiters.

The military recruitment initiative won with 60% in favor and 40% against. Measure I, dubbed "College Not Combat," opposes the presence of military recruiters at public high schools and colleges. However, it would not bar the armed forces from seeking enlistees at city campuses, since that would put schools at risk of losing federal funding.

Instead, Measure I encourages city officials and university administrators to exclude recruiters and create scholarships and training programs that would reduce the military's appeal to young adults.

"We now have the moral weight of the city behind us, and it's definitely a valuable asset to have in our corner," said Bob Matthews, a College Not Combat activist, adding that the victory would help put pressure on the government to someday institute an actual ban on campus military recruiting.

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid22384.asp

Well, there's no doubt about, this makes San Francisco in a state of rebellion against the United States, I think an immediate occupation of the city and trial of the rebels is required.

Member of IAEA
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 23:09
Originally posted by Genghis

San Francisco approved ballot measures to ban handguns in San Francisco and urge the city's public high schools and college campuses to keep out military recruiters.

The military recruitment initiative won with 60% in favor and 40% against. Measure I, dubbed "College Not Combat," opposes the presence of military recruiters at public high schools and colleges. However, it would not bar the armed forces from seeking enlistees at city campuses, since that would put schools at risk of losing federal funding.

Instead, Measure I encourages city officials and university administrators to exclude recruiters and create scholarships and training programs that would reduce the military's appeal to young adults.

"We now have the moral weight of the city behind us, and it's definitely a valuable asset to have in our corner," said Bob Matthews, a College Not Combat activist, adding that the victory would help put pressure on the government to someday institute an actual ban on campus military recruiting.

Well, there's no doubt about, this makes San Francisco in a state of rebellion against the United States, I think an immediate occupation of the city and trial of the rebels is required.

San Francisco is one small corner of the "Left Coast."  It has been like that for 40 years.  So what?

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 23:15
Originally posted by pikeshot1600

San Francisco is one small corner of the "Left Coast."  It has been like that for 40 years.  So what?

Now they're depriving our military of much needed manpower, and haven't you ever just wanted to occupy some place for the fun of it?

Member of IAEA
pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 23:16

Now they're depriving our military of much needed manpower, and haven't you ever just wanted to occupy some place for the fun of it?

According to AE we do that all the time!

Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 23:18

I think it's wonderful.

I also think it's very, very unhonorable that the American government snuck a measure requiring schools to provide a full list of students, as well as contact information, to military recruiters as part of the Patriot Act.

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 23:20

Schools should do that, I'd support universal conscription, this country has an obligation to recruit soldiers to fight and kill to defend the state and it's citizens and morally I consider attempts to impede that treason.

Member of IAEA
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 23:46

See this is what I love about the US and being American! It shows that we citizens and states still have freedom and that we aren't controlled entirely by the federal government.

I'll be willing to fight for this country when we are truely invaded or until we actually have a face to the enemy and aren't just hunting or picking our own targets. Does that mean I'm against this country, no maybe in a fascist country that would be said, but a true American Patriot understands that people faught for our freedoms and one of them is choice which those men and women chose to do and the other speach, and I thank them for it.

Though I wouldn't mind joining a agency that hunts the terrorist here in our own country, catching one of them here would be more gratifying because I know I'd actually be preventing them from directly harming a American citizen.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 00:02
They voted for it democratically. The government, in theory, is only supposed to act according to the will of the people. If the people of San Francisco dont want military recruiters at their schools, well, we wont give them any.

I personally dont care if they have military recruiters or not. But they decided it through a majority vote, so i cant disagree with the results.

If someone is that eager to join the military, they can just visit the website. Its not like theyre prohibiting people from joining the military.
Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 01:51

US schools actually let military recruiters near schools.........   

and it's not contravening any child protection laws.

What next? Free NRA membership for all juniors, survivalist classes on the curriculum and school visits to artillery factories in place of museums.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
ArmenianSurvival View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote ArmenianSurvival Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 02:33
Originally posted by Paul

What next? Free NRA membership for all juniors, survivalist classes on the curriculum and school visits to artillery factories in place of museums.

lol, ya. I see soldiers at my junior college trying to recruit students all the time. You cant possess marijuana but you can recruit 18-year old kids to go pour napalm on someone. I guess thats just the way the world works.

Mass Murderers Agree: Gun Control Works!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Resistance

Քիչ ենք բայց Հայ ենք։
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 09:03
San Francisco parents are protecting their children from the misleading recruitment tactics from the military.

I have heard on the radio how some of these recruiters will outright lie to these kids, telling them that if they sign up, they will not have to do combat duty.

What I find the cruelest, is that they offer them a sign-up bonus of something like $5,000-$10,000 in exchange of four years or more. If you are a 18-year-old with no money, this amounts looks huge. However, if we break it down in years, you are only getting $1000-$2000 a year as a bonus in exchange for risking your life.

If anyone is so hot to get $1000-$2000 more a year, they can delivery newspapers or pizza for a couple of months and get that.

This war is not worthy the lives of Congressmen's own children; we know that this is the case because they won't sent their own sons or daugthers there. I think that if it is not worthy of Congress' children, it shouldn't be worthy of any American.

Furthermore, I think that there are plenty of conservative, pro-war youth to man this war. If they think that war is so necessary, they should sign up with the Army and insist in combat duty.
Mila View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Mila Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 09:57
Here, here!

DRAFT JENNA! DRAFT JENNA!

[IMG]http://img272.imageshack.us/img272/9259/1xw2.jpg">
DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 15:13
Originally posted by Paul

Schools are forced to accept military recruiters on campus to qualify for federal funding. This affects poorer americans much more than the rich. 

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 15:44

You know what Genghis? This makes me want to vote Yes in the poll you submitted about whether you are a fascist. Seriously, they voted it on it democratically, and you want to send in the troops to occupy them?

What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 15:46

Obviously any school that wants to ban military (or any other) recruiters should be able to.

But I'm not opposed to the general idea. Certainly in my time many if not most schools had some kind of voluntary cadet corps organisation, which was effectively a kind of recruitment activity. I never really saw anything wrong with it, as long as it was open and honest.

I suspect the problem here is not with recruiting soldiers or sailors as such, but in what they are being recruited to do, and the war they are being recruited to fight.

(NB Personally I was at school in WWII and up to 1951, and was then conscripted, so it was hardly an issue then. However, of my three sons, one joined the navy cadets at school, though he did not later go through with joining the real thing. I had no objection.)

Genghis View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Genghis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 16:02
Originally posted by Decebal

You know what Genghis? This makes me want to vote Yes in the poll you submitted about whether you are a fascist. Seriously, they voted it on it democratically, and you want to send in the troops to occupy them?

I was being sarcastic about occupying them.  And just because they voted on it democratically doesn't mean it's constitutional.  If the citizens of Alabama had a referendum and voted to reinstitute Jim Crow Laws I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem trying to overturn their democratic decision.

Member of IAEA
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 16:17
Somehow I don't think that could happen anyway, seeing as how Alabama has almost half of its population of African descent. I think that there's a difference here though. In one case, people are voting to limit the reach of a government agency. In the other case, they would be voting to discriminate against other people.
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

DukeC View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote DukeC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 17:21
Originally posted by gcle2003

Obviously any school that wants to ban military (or any other) recruiters should be able to.

But I'm not opposed to the general idea. Certainly in my time many if not most schools had some kind of voluntary cadet corps organisation, which was effectively a kind of recruitment activity. I never really saw anything wrong with it, as long as it was open and honest.

I suspect the problem here is not with recruiting soldiers or sailors as such, but in what they are being recruited to do, and the war they are being recruited to fight.

(NB Personally I was at school in WWII and up to 1951, and was then conscripted, so it was hardly an issue then. However, of my three sons, one joined the navy cadets at school, though he did not later go through with joining the real thing. I had no objection.)

Like hugoestr says the recruiters use dishonesty and aggressive tactics to recruit some of the poorest  Americans.

The military is having a hard time meeting its personel needs because no one wants to become a causualty in Iraq. Like in Vietnam it's the people with the least who are being asked to provide the most.

Post Reply Post Reply