Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

is this Attilas capital?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is this Attilas capital?
    Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 21:18

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.934438,21.234426&spn=0 .032324,0.060257&t=k&hl=en

well this city is 3.5milesx2.5miles which is really big

http://bible-history.com/ancient_rome/map_rome_plan.gif

http://www.throneworld.com/oathofempire/geographica/constant inople.jpg

some background reading=============================

http://www.ccel.org/g/gibbon/decline/volume1/chap34.htm

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/texts/priscus.html

http://www.mek.iif.hu/porta/szint/human/szepirod/magyar/aran y/epics/html/epics1.htm

http://sophistikatedkids.com/turkic/10%20History/Djagfar%20T arihi/Volume3/DjagfarTarihiV3P5En.htm

some pics/maps===============================

http://www.dvhh.org/mercydorf/info/images/Ueberland_Mercydor f_Zsadany.jpg [note that this land was off limits to settlement]
http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/digkonyv/topo/200e/39-46.jpg [note: Atle {Attila} near Zsadany]

some reference where you would think you'd see it===========

http://archweb.cimec.ro/e_arheologie.htm

http://www.archweb.cimec.ro/e_default.htm

http://mars.elte.hu/varak/terkep+lista2.php

watchout there are 2 cornestis just as there are 2 zsadanys http://www.zsadany.hu [attila claimant] in bekes county near bekesvar and this zsadany [aka cornesti, jadani, mezozsadany] in Temes county near temesvar ie. timisoara 

does any of this seem fishy to you all . this is a city bigger than rome or constaninople that noone knows nor talks about it?

see if you can find another city exactly the same [bilsaga and madaja]  in that same hi-res area [hint - northeast]

Nagyfejedelem View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Nagyfejedelem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 12:16
The capital of Attila wasn't bigger than Rome or Constantinople. The number of the Huns without the Germanic and other tribes wasn't very big. And Huns were nomads, so they didn't live continually in cities.The exception is a Hun city in China. As I know a lot of palaces made of wood and a Roman bath made of stone were in the Hunnic capital, and not only Attila, but German kings stayed in here, so it would be big.  Contrary the ideas and searches we don't know where was the capital of Attila. We know the travell of Priscus and the death of Attila. Attila was buried into a river, maybe the Tisza, such as the Turk and Khazar khagans. The population of the city needed water and the Tisza was drinkable in this time. So the capital situated near the Tisza, I don't know more.
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 14:21

state some sources. you just can't say it isn't because i or they say so. you can't point to one shred of evidence in any language that puts it anyware but where the sources i've provided say it is whereever that is. my only quest in this posting is sources actually. real sources to my contrary are most valued of all right now.

its called an "expansive city" in all accounts stretching for miles http://www.mek.iif.hu/porta/szint/human/szepirod/magyar/aran y/epics/html/epics1.htm. attila had between 300,000 and 700,000 riders at his camp and by that time, the huns weren't nomadic in the classic sense, hense their thirst for gold to support their cash economy.

when riders left buda's camp [before moving to obuda], they traveled for approx 3 days east after crossing the tisza http://www.mek.iif.hu/porta/szint/human/szepirod/magyar/aran y/epics/html/epics1.htm

if there were 2 cities they are both there - same in size and shape http://sophistikatedkids.com/turkic/10%20History/Djagfar%20T arihi/Volume3/DjagfarTarihiV3P5En.htm

a large wooden pallisade needs to be securely set deep in the ground or in a large earth berm. attila's was described as huge in all accounts. the fact that they remain could testify to that. all one need do really would be to find the bath to merit further investigation?

i understand from previous conversations with hungarians that this would be devistating  and i understand from my conversations with romanians that it will be devastating to them having it so i guess to be fair, the site should be investigated by a canadian?

of course i think i know by now where the tomb is and the fact that everyone looks in the tisza makes me glad for Attila as he was one smart cookie all the way around, smarter than any today i think.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 14:24
Why exactly would the discovery of this town be devastating to hungarians or romanians?
What is history but a fable agreed upon?
Napoleon Bonaparte

Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth.- Mohandas Gandhi

Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Nov-2005 at 15:05

romanians entire national identity is in their daciation ancestory, its their claim to territory and pride and rightly so since it is said that the conquest of the daciatians saved the roman empire. Attila's presence and hense his blood lines there is disagreeable. you'd think that the business aspects would prevail as they are romanian after all. i'd guess you could draw parallels in canada.

hungarian national identity is based on magyar and hunner [?] his brother. magyar/hun heritage is a great source of pride and strength. not possessing attila's capital which could be said would have been the true capital would be a great loss and again rightly so.

Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 13:16
Originally posted by Priscus

romanians entire national identity is in their daciation ancestory, its their claim to territory and pride and rightly so since it is said that the conquest of the daciatians saved the roman empire. Attila's presence and hense his blood lines there is disagreeable. you'd think that the business aspects would prevail as they are romanian after all. i'd guess you could draw parallels in canada.

hungarian national identity is based on magyar and hunner [?] his brother. magyar/hun heritage is a great source of pride and strength. not possessing attila's capital which could be said would have been the true capital would be a great loss and again rightly so.

I don't know about that. I was born in Romania myself and I haven't ever heard that the conquest of Dacia saved the Roman Empire. Sure, there were some ultra-nationalist crackpots who exaggerated the importance of the Dacian kingdom (if that's what you mean), but this is not the mainstream view. As for Attila, he was after all the leader of a migratory group. The Romanians admit to the passing of a dozen or more migratory groups, and none of them are supposed to have affected the population much. It is really the language that they take the most pride in. Besides, the supposed location of Attila's capital that you propose would place it outside of the area where the daco-roman population is thought to have survived in. Anyway, it is universally acknowledged that Dacia was conquered by the Huns. What difference would it really make from a national standpoint the fact that the temporary capital may have been situated in Western Romania for a few years?

Also, looking at the Google map, it does indeed look like the remains of a fortified town. However, I don't know where you're getting the 3.5x2.5 miles figure. It looks more to me to be about 1x2 Km. Also, from my knowledge of that area, there is a lot of timber nearby (or used to be). The texts you provided state clearly that there was no timber in the area.

Edited by Decebal
Napoleon Bonaparte

Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 16:41

are you an escu or oso, romanians in the west were heavily hungarian [osos] and weren't fond of being thought of as dacian.

when i was in timisoara in 1990 my business partner was an oso who had been a fairly big schween before he ran across the border in the dead of night. his brother was captured and sent home after some reeducation. they were not dacians let me tell you but it was/had been the line of the communist party that romania was dacian and hense the lands to the west were theirs. i know that alot of high level desks are occupied by the exact same people today as they were before 89 as they are still publishing.

it wasn't outside daco-roman-romania at all. maybe outside of the heartland but http://www.eliznik.org.uk/RomaniaHistory/balkans-map/1-ad.ht m et al.

i think trajans column pretty well covers the conquest included the sacking of the dacian capital and the suicide of the last king of dacia proper. dacia was declared a roman province in 106ad. the empire was nearly broke but due to the vast treasure that was recovered and the mines exploited, the empire was hugely enabled for new conquests and a vast infrastructure expansion & renewal program was undertaken. the first night i arrived in timisoara there were 2 tv programs on, blue hawaii with elvis and a herioc historical epic about the conquest with lots of operatic sequences, it was on every week apparently. lites went off at 11pm and i got loaded on plum schnapse siting around a kerosene lamp at his aged moms house.

its true about the language which is a big area of contention there even today when romanians call themselves dacian. the language is mostly balkan with a smattering of other terms but no or very very little dacian. the sheparding terms [which are supposedly the oldest terms in any language and hense its root] are albanian.

when i first saw the hills in 1990 it was completely cleared but pretty close to the east were the foothills and forest... remember that he supposedly had the cities built by conquered tribes so hauling the logs 10 miles probably wasn't an issue

you have to get yourself a copy of google earth, its free. in it you can measure the 4 circuits of walls [can you see all 4]. there is a really cool button that lets you tilt the map so you can even seen some topography.

i know i should be quoting sources but i don't have time but i can if you want. you can google it all.

ultimately can you find a city mentioned anywhere in any era that was there? i've searched and searched... even at a fine university library.

Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 16:57
Decebal View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Digital Prometheus

Quote Decebal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 17:07

I'm neither an escu nor an oso. I have a more obscure last name, but no Hungarian ancestry that I'm aware of.

Anyway, the way Romanian historians view that period, the daco-romans retreated from the plains and occupied mostly the hilly and mountaineous regions of Transylvania and the Carpathians. They only repopulated the Banat and other areas such as Moldavia and Muntenia after the end of the barbarian invasions in the 12th and early 13th century. You should learn more about the local history. While Dacia was very large in the times of Burebista, and even Decebal, the Roman province of Dacia only occupied Transylvania and Oltenia. The Banat was a borderland, with some Roman towns. In any case, after the retreat of Aurelian in 273, the area that the Daco-Roman occupied was reduced further.

By the way, the sheperd words are not considered to be Albanian. Dacian was a language which was related to Illyrian, and so some words are similar to Albanian, which is at least in part if not mostly derived from Illyrian.

I have Google Earth. I'll take a look at it sometime. I only saw 3 walls. Do you think that there's a possibility this is a natural formation?

Napoleon Bonaparte

Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 17:31

we're not really talking about anytime after any retreat are we as that was counterproductive to land claims by the communists and as i say, many many policy makers are the old guard with new suits.  we're talking about maximum extent in this circumstance aren't we. thats why i said not the heartland. i've been to many of the sites including the holy mountain and in general they are all on the tops of hills in the mountains to be sure.

well i'm sure you have your sources saying illyrian, i have mine that say albanian.  illyria it would seem was outside dacia almosts as much as zsadany was wouldn't you say, however radical dacian historians are claiming trajans bridge as their construction.

Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 17:34
oh i see, i said daco-roman romania... i meant dacia pre roman
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 17:47
you know you could prove me wrong by being a romanian that was open to the possibilty.
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 17:55
in regard to natural formation... if it is i'll get a vasectomy the hard way. check it out in google earth
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 18:57

i have been rightly informed that its rude to say can you find the other city and give a hint. i thought it might be fun and meant no rudeness. applogies to any offended.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=46.042497,21.356649&spn=0 .016131,0.030129&t=k&hl=en

this i think would be the coral end [its not the green treeline leading into the valley but to the left of the diagonal road that goes topleft to bottom right] and there are 3 walls northeast where they should be. you may be able to make out the central [seemingly square with corner berms] pallisade on the little plateau in between. [this is best seen in tilt mode in google earth].

Edited by Priscus
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 19:35
Well, that region of the Middle Danub and the Balcans was rich in culture in the Early Chalcolithic period. Could it be a city from that time?

Untill we dig it, we won't know. Bodrogkeresztr culture is my guess.

Are the Universities of the area informed of that finding of you or are you keeping it to you by the moment, Prisco?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 20:52

if you had any idea how many people i've emailed you'd think i was a nut because i'm sure i'm a nut. i haven't contacted anyone directly on this side of the atlantic because really its none of our business. i've been beaten down pretty badly so i'm a little touchy when i start talking to romanians and hungarians. you're wonderful people but dam you know how to hurt a poor canadians feelings. 

Edited by Priscus
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 21:22

there ia a mention of a bronze age find at the town of cornesti/jadani/zsadany  but it doesn't seem the site was part of this structure as only the outermost wall touches the town and has largely been destroyed plus the site excavated was a singular domestic unit of common construction.

there is a mention but no available information about a 1924 excavation following a find by a farmer at jadani. the material was migration period and decorative wood but i only know the reference #2167 and can't find the listing again at cimec. i might mention that all of the cornesti pics i was able to find on google are gone now - specifically a group of bikers who paused in the field on a mound.

Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 21:35

what really got me going on this was

http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Places/Place/395186

http://www.ancientworlds.net/aw/Places/Place/395183

now i know they are lite and i don't know what the source is and what period they show but both were occupied by huns

the semi-circular coral at one end gave me a shiver. if its roman, then its a big dam roman city in romania which doesn't bother anyone right?

Edited by Priscus
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 21:36
Anyhow, I've been comparing the scale with my hometown and it seems quite big. It may be just 2 km x 800 m but that's about 4 times the Medieval distric of my city. And Bilbao was an important comercial harbour and didn't need to be bigger until the late 19th century.

So my new guess is that it is too big for Chalcolithic unless it's truly a great discovery, like the Pyramids of Bosnia (that are older, btw) or some major capital of a badly known late prehistorical state. It could be the city of Attila too: it is in a strategical place near the Danub at the Iron Gates.

I've been thinking in other Chalcolithic cultures that have urbanism and cover the region of historical Hungary, like Vucedol.

If they find something the least they can do is to send you a ticket to visit the ruins.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Priscus View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Priscus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2005 at 21:47

timisoara is one of the most beautiful cities i've seen even with battle tanks on the roof of the courthouse. i'll go anyway, they've given me much over the years and i've never been back because everyone comes here for some reason. my culture is tissue.

this is where i get the dimension

http://216.109.132.28/test.jpg 

http://216.109.132.28/test1.jpg

Edited by Priscus
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>