Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Third empire - who were the two first?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Kubrat View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kubrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Third empire - who were the two first?
    Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 18:04
I thought that Karl der Grosse was the first king of Germany?  I recently read that in a german textbook, but it might be biased .  Then the Second Reich would be Bismarck, and Third Reich would be Hitler?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
-William Shakespeare
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 18:54

Exactly Kubrat Karl der Grosse was crowned emperor by the pope. A portion of his realms evolved into the Holy Roman Empire. The second reich is the united german empire of 1871 and the third reich is hitler.

from 1871 to 1945 germanys official name was aways German empire.

I thought after Wilhelm II abdicated it became the Weimar Republic?

Oesterreich (Oe in place of o with umlaut)

But of course, sorry I didn't do that but I think Oe and Ue and the like looks hideous when I'm reading it (don't ask why) and it's just quicker to write O.

Besides I forgot it was Oesterreich........

Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Oct-2004 at 19:16

more or less, yeah...

the question about the first king of Germany is difficult, since there's no clear definition of "germany" back then. today it is commonly accepted that Henry I. the bird-hunter (rough translation) was the first king of Germany because he had the support of all German tribes...he was the second non-carolingian (non-frankish) ruler of the eastern Frankish kingdom (Conrad I. the younger didn't had the support of all duchies), that was composed of Germanic tribes (Alemanns/Swabians, Saxons, Thringians, Baiuvarians, Friesians, Salian Franks and later middle/Lorraine-Franks) conquered by the Franks. thus, later the kingdom was renamed regnum teutonicum ("Deutschland"/germany, before it was regnum francorum).

since under the third ruler, Otto I. Germany became the HRE, Charlemagne/Carl the Great was still regarded as founder and as later the HRE became uninvitably chained to Germany, Charlemagne isn't really viewed as a foreign ruler by many Germans....
so the whole issue about Germans claiming Charlemagne can be compared to Byzantines claiming Roman ancestry. of course nationalism also plays a large role here...

Originally posted by Janus Rook

I thought after Wilhelm II abdicated it became the Weimar Republic?

Weimar Republic is of course just a nickname of the period between the fall of the monarchy and the rise of the Nazis, official name was still German empire.

Edited by Temujin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12