Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Islam regarding terrorism?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Islam regarding terrorism?
    Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 04:48
Originally posted by ok ge

Originally posted by Maju

If all the battles of Islam were merely defensive, Azimuth, how come it ended conquering such large stretches of land.

True Maju, not every Islamic battle is a defensive battle. When we are talking about Islamic conquests, we are combining a wide range of subjects from defensive wars, expansion wars, political wars, even economic reasons. These were Islamic states that acted like today modern states too. Idealizing that every battle fought by Muslim is a defensive battle is incorrect as much as saying too that every battle they fought was to subjugate the conquered people.

Ok, then. I was under the impression that some wanted to idealize Islamic expansion as a pattern of merely defensive struggles, which is not the case.

For instance, the Christians of the Coptic Church in Egypt actually welcomed the Muslim Arabs as liberators from the oppression they suffered under Byzantine rule. That was the case too in the Levantine and other parts. Maybe that explains to you the fast expansion of those conquests.

We have already commented on this in other topics. Clearly monophisitic Christianity (Coptic, Arianists, etc.) had some reasons to welcome Muslims. Yet, it is not clear why Muslims would want to invade those countries, apart of political opportunity. While in the case of Syria-Palestine, it seems clear that local Christians welcomed Muslims. In the Egyptian case, the situation is not so clear. In fact, Nubians (Coptic Christians as well) organized the first ever crusade in the 8th century "to liberate the Patriarch of Alexandria".

I know that Islam attacked Christian Berbers and did the same in Spain. .

Well it is not exactly that Islam attacked the Christian Berbers and the Christians in Spain. In the conquest of North Africa, the fight was between the Ummayid forces and the Byzentine Empire. Some Berbers joined the Arab Muslim armies, other opposed them. Other fought against them to maintain their sovernity. It sounds to me more of a political clash rather than a religious clash. This explains why many berbers became Muslims before the Arab succeeded controlling North Africa.

I admit that I dont have all the info regarding this episode. But I know that the Caliphate had already conquered the Byzantine posessions of Africa (Tunis) several decades before the rest of North Africa was conquered. I also know that Berbers posed strong resistence and that was the reason that Muslims had a large army in North Africa of 40,000 soldiers, that, partly, was diverted to the conquest of Spain.

The tribal Berbers had resisted Arab political domination and not Islam, they easily accepted Islam as most of the inhabitants were practicing Arianism, which is a unitarian form of Christianity that denied the full divinity of Jesus Christ. They were also a group prosecuted by the Byzentine empire. Since that they were already practicing a religion with Unitarian beliefs; the Islamic theory of "One God" was an easy concept for those practicing Arianism to grasp, thus facilitating the spread of Islam.

Again you're surely right in Monophisism being ahelp to the expansion of Islam. Yet, I can hardly see how Byzantium could prosecute them in lands it didn't control.

Regarding invading Spain, it is not that much of a different story here. First, that "invasion" is actually a political intervention here and a chance take. You probably know Maju that most of the Muslim armies who battled on Iberia were of berber Muslims and even their leader Tariq Ibn Ziyad and his Amir Musa Bin Nusair were berbers. That invasion came actually as an invitation by Count Julian of Cueta to invade Spain as an opponent to Roderick the Visigoth in 710 AD.

Yes. Actually the defeated party of an internal Visigothic conflict, invited Muslims to invade Spain in the hope of regaining the crown. They eventually settled for much less. I this case though the religious dispute was irrelevant, because Goths had abandoned Arianism already and adopted Catholicism (Trinitarian), while Hispano-Romans were massively Catholic.

The bottom line, wether it is a spread for politics, invitation for intervention, or locals welcoming the Muslim armies, the fact that we shall focus on is, were their rights respected and protected much better than their previous lords for most of their history? I would say yes. Islam did not promise them a new era of a foriegn rulers, rather than a new era of religious freedom, some of them were fighting for initially.

That's surely disputable. I think that many Christian minorities in Muslim countries, particularly those of Egypt, feel opressed right now and along their history under Muslim domination. The case in Sudan was much worse. And the fact that no significant Christian minority exists west of Egypt is also significative that Islam wasn't that tolerant, at least in all periods.

Also we have skipped the invasion of Sassanid Persia, where Christians were rather minoritary and the Zoroastrian majority obviously had no interest in any Islamic invasion.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 08:22

Yet, it is not clear why Muslims would want to invade those countries, apart of political opportunity. While in the case of Syria-Palestine,.

As i said previously, it has many causes. The conquest were also carried for sure to spread Islam. Afterall, spreading Islam was not a marginal reason. Remember that while you can spread Islam peacefully in a society under the Islamic domain, you cannot do that in a land controlled by non-Muslims. You cannot preach Islam peacefully in the Sassanid or Roman Empire. You will be prosecuted which is no doubt will happen if even other Christian sects were already experiencing that prosecution. Islamic conquests came to open the door of preaching the Islamic faith. Finally, don't forget that for most of the Islamic conquest history, those conquered kingdoms were offered three choices: 1- to accept Islam entering the land (obviously to be preached and not by force, if by force, Muslim armies would have done it and force Islam when they conquered them right away) 2- To pay attribute in exchange of maintaining their block to Islam and the existance of their state and 3- war.

it seems clear that local Christians welcomed Muslims. In the Egyptian case, the situation is not so clear. In fact, Nubians (Coptic Christians as well) organized the first ever crusade in the 8th century "to liberate the Patriarch of Alexandria"

Actually there is much less dispute in the coptic church to the fact of welcoming Muslims than the claims that they were later prosecuted later. Don't forget that the Coptic church lost a lot of followers over the course of hundred of years of preaching and conversion and it developed a negative attitude later on. I think you will be interested to observe this pattern on a table:

Year        Total population        &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;         &n bsp;          Christians        Muslims

0           ; ; 450000 0           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;                      Polytheism
     300          3200000 (social and economic crisis of the Empire)          15%
     600          270000 0           ; ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;              99%         &nb sp;    0%
     661          270000 0           ; ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;               73%         &nb sp;   26%
     680          270000 0           ; ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;              40%         &nb sp;   59%
     790          270000 0           ; ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;              33%         &nb sp;   66%
     810          270000 0           ; ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;               22%         &nb sp;   77%
    1121         2000000 (Low Nile's level = famine and poor harvest)
    1315         4000000
    1248         2660000 (Plague)
    1882  ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;                                                   8%              90%
    1995       5920000 0           ; ;           ;           ;           ;           ;           ;                8%         &nbs p;     90%

source: http://www.religionstatistics.net/histen3.htm

Nubian christian states were coptic and they resisted the Islamic conquest of many  part of Sudan and Nubia. The 8th century crusade you are talking came as a result of :

"Although the Arabs soon abandoned attempts to reduce Nubia by force, Muslim domination of Egypt often made it difficult to communicate with the Coptic patriarch or to obtain Egyptian-trained clergy. As a result, the Nubian church became isolated from the rest of the Christian world."

http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/islam/countries/bl_Sud anChristianNubia.htm

So it wasn't really to "liberate the Patriach of Alexandria". You yourself used the quotation mark. It is a nice propoganda to adopt though for a crusade. Wasn't the first Crusade of Europe in 1098 launched to "liberate the fellow Christians of the holy land from the Muslim prosecution" too? Sadly, who butchered those Eastern Christians were the crusaders themselves.

Again you're surely right in Monophisism being ahelp to the expansion of Islam. Yet, I can hardly see how Byzantium could prosecute them in lands it didn't control..

Did you hear about the Exarchate of Africa? Byzentine Empire dominated most of northern Africa since and around 550 after Justinian I conquests (green areas):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Byzantium550.png

I this case though the religious dispute was irrelevant, because Goths had abandoned Arianism already and adopted Catholicism (Trinitarian), while Hispano-Romans were massively Catholic. ..

I don't recall myself saying that Muslim armies invaded Spain for the religious internal conflict. In fact, I made it clear it was a political move after the invitaton of Cueta's Count.

And the fact that no significant Christian minority exists west of Egypt is also significative that Islam wasn't that tolerant, at least in all periods.

And I would say that the fact that christian minorities existed in west of Egypt undistrupted is a significant fact that Islam was tolerant in all periods.

You completely ignored the barely disputable tolerant environment of Andalucian period even!

Regarding your example of no Christians exist west of Egypt as an evidance of islam being "intolerant" in "most of the history periods" I think you infalted the example and then decided it is the norm and not the exception. Don't forget that this is was not because of the Islamic conquest. I encourage you to read this page to clarify this misconception you have:

" some facts can lead us to such conclusion, as per example that late in the VIII Century, the Berbers of Tunisia took the Jarigite heresy (Muslim sect) as flag, not the Christianity, or as the relate of Ibn Khaldoun about that in the year 788, Idriss I eliminated all REST of Judaism, Christianity and Magism in the Fez's region.  Indeed, the last official church presence in Marocco is in an episcopal account by the Pope Leo of  883, where no bishop appears for Africa (the last reference to a Moroccan bishop was for one in Tangier in the early 9th Century). For the rest of the area, the Christianity in the Maghrib was similarly erased."

http://www.religionstatistics.net/histen3.htm

Also we have skipped the invasion of Sassanid Persia, where Christians were rather minoritary and the Zoroastrian majority obviously had no interest in any Islamic invasion.

I'm not sure where did you pick up the idea that I rationalize Islamic conquest as an effort to liberate Christian minorities.

Anyhow Yazdigird was offered the three choices and he could have allowed Muslim missionaries as the Abyssinian king did.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 10:03
Yes, if Islamic rule was such an intolerant one I can't figure out why are there still christians in the balkans, for example. The turks could've just forcefully converted the greeks, serbs, romanians, bulgarians, hungarians and so on. It would made it a lot easier to administrate later on.

Edited by Infidel
An nescite quantilla sapientia mundus regatur?
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 10:48
Infidel, the ottomans had two rules one for muslims one for christians. Christains were discrimitated; had to pay very high taxes, their young sons were taken, and throw in any beautifal girl that was found. They where "tolerated" only becuase they were useful in a economic way.

As for forceful conversion, life was alot easier if you did convert and this did occur throughout the balkans and anadolia, you had tax relief and the right to own land and in the legal system. Many seeking this relief did convert (and became turks), it may not be forcefull but it was definatly co-erced

As for the logic well we didnt kill you all, we must be tolerant kinda proves how twisted your concept of  tolerance is.
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 11:26

If Infidel allows me, I would like to comment on the following points of Leonides:

Originally posted by Leonidas

Infidel, the ottomans had two rules one for muslims one for christians. Christains were discrimitated; had to pay very high taxes, their young sons were taken, and throw in any beautifal girl that was found. They where "tolerated" only becuase they were useful in a economic way.

I would say partially right, partially wrong. First, the "high taxes" you are talking about that non-Muslims had to pay were not high in theory neither in application. Let me explain. In Islamic law, the theory is as follows:

Muslims pay taxes called Zakah collected by the State (in most times) equals to 2.5% of their free money, and invested properties (not necessities). They are still expected to be drafted in state wars as Muslims.

On the otherhand, non-Muslims had to pay no more than 2.5% as Jizyah (most scholars said even 1.5%). Jizyah is not a descrimanting tax system rather a suplimented tax system customized to non-Muslims. They pay Jizyah in exchange of state protection of their properties, lives, and worship places, and religion, as any other citizen. Furthermore, they are not drafted to the Muslim army even in the course of their defense.

Sounds a good deal to me!

Now the application side of the story comes. If Ottoman violated it, it is obviously their fault and not the Islamic system. Did the Ottomans apply this Islamic system precisely in Balkans? Not really, but they also taxed their peasants and locals high taxes which are the causes of the Anatolian revolts. Even these "high taxes" on non-Muslims were lower than the average taxes they had to pay before they were conquered. Here if you are interested in some enlightement:

"In the Ottoman administration, talented men of all faiths could fulfill at least limited roles. For peasants, the finality of Ottoman victory also meant an end to centuries of wars between Serbs, Bulgars, Byzantines and Crusaders, and thus offered stability. Ottoman taxes were lower than the taxes of the conquered Balkan Christian kingdoms. "

http://www.lib.msu.edu/sowards/balkan/lecture3.html

Regarding the Christian kids who were taken young and were raised as Janissaries, I think too it is a bad thing to do. Though in many cases, people give their kids to the state to be raised as janissaries because it promised better life for them, education, serving the Sultan and a class, as the case with Bosnians, I still think it is bad.

As for forceful conversion, life was alot easier if you did convert and this did occur throughout the balkans and anadolia, you had tax relief and the right to own land and in the legal system.

We explained above the typical tax system and it is obvious that it is not that bad as it is portraied here. Regarding that life was not easy for non-Muslims, I won't try to argue this (though I wonder why Sephardic Jews escaped Christian Spain to the Muslim Ottomans), assuming it is true, well life for Muslims in France and in most of Europe would have been easier too if they were white European Christians instead.

As for the logic well we didnt kill you all, we must be tolerant kinda proves how twisted your concept of  tolerance is.

Well you have enough evidance that can rationalize the general tolerance of Islamic states in those days. Just think with me why did it take 1200 years for Egypt to have its 99% Christian population in 600's AD to flip to 90% Muslims in 1800's? While Spain could not stand its Muslim population, violating its treaty of 1492 by banning Arabic first, then Moorish customs, and finally expelled all of them by 1611??

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 11:54

The topic here is Islam regarding the terrorism

and here i quote question and statement from arch.buff

Originally posted by arch.buff

my main question would be how does the Islamic religion view terrorist attacks not only on America soil but all over the world. Is the reason the majority of terrorist attacks are made by Islamic regimes because Muhammed forged the religion on forcefulness? Or is this an overstatement?

I wonder are u really wanna know how does muslims opinions and Islam perspectives on terrorism or you just try to heat up the topic to make it more interesting by stating tht Rasulullah forged the religion on forcefulness... I dont blame u coz sometimes the existing topic might not be adventurous enough...

Well.. in case tht u are really wnt to know Islam perspective on terrorism... (seems like repeating myself and other muslims forumers..).. it is opposite to what Islam is. By literally, the meaning of Islam is peace. In Arabic, Islm derives from the three-letter root S-L-M reflecting the meaning "to be in peaceful submission; to surrender; to obey; peace". (native arab speaker... plz correct me if i'm wrong here..).

if the non-muslims are focusing on Islam history on war to relate with terrorism in order to prove tht Islam is a religion with terrorist concept.. then i guess it is so unfair and irrational judgement coz i believe other religions or countries had war in order to expand and maintain their belief and territory too...

people nowadays misconcept on 'Jihad' term... It is far beyond what people have in mind.. it's not about killing people by killing urself too.. it is not by crashing the airplanes...

Originally posted by OSMANLI

]

I will first like to explain what the word Jihad is. In the linguistic sense, the Arabic word "jihad" means struggling or striving and applies to any effort exerted by anyone. In this sense, a student struggles and strives to get an education and pass course work; an employee strives to fulfill his/her job and maintain good relations with his/her employer; a politician strives to maintain or increase his popularity with his constituents and so on.

Therefore the meaning of Jihad is not only focusing on violence. In my condition.. me too can be considered in Jihad as a single status woman...

Originally posted by cok gec

Well you have enough evidance that can rationalize the general tolerance of Islamic states in those days. Just think with me why did it take 1200 years for Egypt to have its 99% Christian population in 600's AD to flip to 90% Muslims in 1800's? While Spain could not stand its Muslim population, violating its treaty of 1492 by banning Arabic first, then Moorish customs, and finally expelled all of them by 1611??

then... why still focusing on Islam regarding on terrorism?

Edited by cahaya
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 11:59
Originally posted by ok ge

Islamic conquests came to open the door of preaching the Islamic faith. Finally, don't forget that for most of the Islamic conquest history, those conquered kingdoms were offered three choices: 1- to accept Islam entering the land (obviously to be preached and not by force, if by force, Muslim armies would have done it and force Islam when they conquered them right away) 2- To pay attribute in exchange of maintaining their block to Islam and the existance of their state and 3- war.

Curiously enough, many Islamic nations even today, do not allow Christian or, let's say, Buddhist proselitism. Also in a period of religious states, that sort of ultimatum meant war almost always.

Nubian christian states were coptic and they resisted the Islamic conquest of many  part of Sudan and Nubia. The 8th century crusade you are talking came as a result of :

"Although the Arabs soon abandoned attempts to reduce Nubia by force, Muslim domination of Egypt often made it difficult to communicate with the Coptic patriarch or to obtain Egyptian-trained clergy. As a result, the Nubian church became isolated from the rest of the Christian world."

http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/islam/countries/bl_Sud anChristianNubia.htm

So it wasn't really to "liberate the Patriach of Alexandria". You yourself used the quotation mark. It is a nice propoganda to adopt though for a crusade. Wasn't the first Crusade of Europe in 1098 launched to "liberate the fellow Christians of the holy land from the Muslim prosecution" too? Sadly, who butchered those Eastern Christians were the crusaders themselves.

You know that I am strongly critic with Crusades but in the case of Nubians and Egypt in the 8th century I don't know what to think. Nubians were being pressed hardly by Islam and the conquest of Egypt was then very recent.

Again you're surely right in Monophisism being ahelp to the expansion of Islam. Yet, I can hardly see how Byzantium could prosecute them in lands it didn't control..

Did you hear about the Exarchate of Africa? Byzentine Empire dominated most of northern Africa since and around 550 after Justinian I conquests (green areas):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Byzantium550.png

Yes. Still you see that most Berber lands  (then called Mauretania) are out of the exarcate. So my objection is still fully relevant. I wasn't thinking in Tunis but rather in Morocco.

I this case though the religious dispute was irrelevant, because Goths had abandoned Arianism already and adopted Catholicism (Trinitarian), while Hispano-Romans were massively Catholic. ..

I don't recall myself saying that Muslim armies invaded Spain for the religious internal conflict. In fact, I made it clear it was a political move after the invitaton of Cueta's Count.

And the fact that no significant Christian minority exists west of Egypt is also significative that Islam wasn't that tolerant, at least in all periods.

And I would say that the fact that christian minorities existed in west of Egypt undistrupted is a significant fact that Islam was tolerant in all periods.

What Christian minorities? Where are they?

You completely ignored the barely disputable tolerant environment of Andalucian period even!

The case of Al Andalus is a little diferent, maybe because it was most of the time ruled by the Ummayad dynasty. Yet, it intercalated periods of tolerance with periods of oscurantism, specially in the final phases under Almohads and Almoravids.

Regarding your example of no Christians exist west of Egypt as an evidance of islam being "intolerant" in "most of the history periods" I think you infalted the example and then decided it is the norm and not the exception. Don't forget that this is was not because of the Islamic conquest. I encourage you to read this page to clarify this misconception you have:

" some facts can lead us to such conclusion, as per example that late in the VIII Century, the Berbers of Tunisia took the Jarigite heresy (Muslim sect) as flag, not the Christianity, or as the relate of Ibn Khaldoun about that in the year 788, Idriss I eliminated all REST of Judaism, Christianity and Magism in the Fez's region.  Indeed, the last official church presence in Marocco is in an episcopal account by the Pope Leo of  883, where no bishop appears for Africa (the last reference to a Moroccan bishop was for one in Tangier in the early 9th Century). For the rest of the area, the Christianity in the Maghrib was similarly erased."

http://www.religionstatistics.net/histen3.htm

This is most interesting. I wasn't aware of the exact circumstances that brought the end of Christianity in North Africa, while in other Islamic lands it has existed, even if in clear decline.

Still it is a good example of how Islam can be intolerant to the extreme as any other religion.

I'm not sure where did you pick up the idea that I rationalize Islamic conquest as an effort to liberate Christian minorities.

Anyhow Yazdigird was offered the three choices and he could have allowed Muslim missionaries as the Abyssinian king did.

Would you accept such sort of ultimatum to Saudi Arabia, a country where the only accepted religion is Islam? Would you accept Buddhist, Christian or Satanist missionaries into Saudi Arabia? Or would you chose war? Would you think such ultimatum as fair if applied to your country and your religion?

You know I am for total freedom of cult... but everywhere in equal terms.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 18:08

IMO, I think secular democratic countries are the best option so far. But traditional muslim countries were far more tolerant towards other religions and minorities than many of its european counterparts. They weren't perfect and many of them today are still difficult to define but Islam is a religion of tolerance and truth. Anyone who digs into Islam without prejudice will find an immense truth and an excepcional overwhelming.

There are things that are going wrong today in the muslim world, but Islam never promotes terrorism. It's absurd!

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 23:07

There are many points here to cover, so I will highlight your points instead of using Quote Quote.

Curiously enough, many Islamic nations even today, do not allow Christian or, let's say, Buddhist proselitism. Also in a period of religious states, that sort of ultimatum meant war almost always.

It is not my job to defend nations and individuals. Im only concerned about the Islamic treatment and jurisdictions. The application is subjective. Regarding that most Islamic nations today do not allow Christian or Buddhist preaching, I disagree with this notion. You have to backup this. Iran and Saudi Arabia is not most of the Islamic nation!

You know that I am strongly critic with Crusades but in the case of Nubians and Egypt in the 8th century I don't know what to think. Nubians were being pressed hardly by Islam and the conquest of Egypt was then very recent.

Maju, I respect your assumptions, but I posted for you a clear link that explains the initial motives of that crusade. It is your task to backup your point with sources for us to critique. It took 300 years for Egyption Muslims to make up at leat half of the population. Your point does not make that much of sense where it is hard to find a forcefull conversion of Egyption coptics but insist on the claim of Nubians being "pressed hardly by Islam". We are not talking about two different eras, you yourself said, it is the same era with the conquest of Egypt being recent. Why do they need a double policy then?

Yes. Still you see that most Berber lands  (then called Mauretania) are out of the exarcate. So my objection is still fully relevant. I wasn't thinking in Tunis but rather in Morocco.

Berber land is huge. Despite that you failed to specify what Berber lands you mean, and failing to recognize a Roman authority over the berber lands Muslim conquered in the Islamic conquest of northern Africa, you also failed to recognize that the map I posted for you as the Byzentine sphere of northern Africa is over 75% of what Muslims took intially during the northern african campaign. Berbers who were under Byzentine were not only in Tunisia, but stretching from Egyption desert, Libyan region (especially Tripolilatina) and Algeria. Muslims took these exact trenches and only added the blank space of the map between half of Algeria to the Atlantic ocean. This is only less than quarter of the Berbers who were subjected to Islamic conquest intially.

What Christian minorities? Where are they?

Coptic Egyption church, Maronite church, Assyrian Church, Syrian Roman Catholic Church, Patriach of Jersualem for the the Orthodox church, Armenian church...etc 

This is most interesting. I wasn't aware of the exact circumstances that brought the end of Christianity in North Africa, while in other Islamic lands it has existed, even if in clear decline.
Still it is a good example of how Islam can be intolerant to the extreme as any other religion.

Well, since now you know the circumstances that brought the christianity to end in the Berber lands (not north africa, egypt is a north african country), you should be able to realize that it is not a good example of how Islam can be intolerant, rather than individual extermist can be intolerant. It was neither a state policy or a subsequent even of the conquests. Remember that part of an intelligent discussion is to avoid generlization. I don't think Christians will be happy if I said Christianity can be intolerant because of the Crusaders, neither Athiest are happy if I said Athiesm can be intolerance because of Pot Pol. Would you say Islam is intolerant because of Bin Ladin acts? Not really. Why would you then say Islam is intolerant because of a man policy that clearly opposed a principle Islamic corner stone of equality?

Would you accept such sort of ultimatum to Saudi Arabia, a country where the only accepted religion is Islam? Would you accept Buddhist, Christian or Satanist missionaries into Saudi Arabia? Or would you chose war? Would you think such ultimatum as fair if applied to your country and your religion?

Other religious preaching are happing in other Islamic states as far as I remember. However,  as soon as the Vatican allows for a Mosque to be built there, allows for Satanist preaching and Buddis temple construciton, then your argument can be more effective.

By the way, part of human struggle of domination is to promote a specific group ideology on the expense of the other. From US constraining Communist groups activities to Saudi Arabia Christian missionary work. Does not mean necessary it is right or wrong. It simply exists and human being always will take a stand prefering a side to the other and promoting for their believes.

D.J. Kaufman
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2005 at 23:29
ok ge wrote:
"I would say partially right, partially wrong. First, the "high taxes" you are talking about that non-Muslims had to pay were not high in theory neither in application. Let me explain. In Islamic law, the theory is as follows:"
Islamic law is also not so bad when followed by a good ruler, but as in christindom they are good and bad rulers. So the arguement can go both ways

"
Now the application side of the story comes. If Ottoman violated it, it is obviously their fault and not the Islamic system. Did the Ottomans apply this Islamic system precisely in Balkans? Not really, but they also taxed their peasants and locals high taxes which are the causes of the Anatolian revolts. Even these "high taxes" on non-Muslims were lower than the average taxes they had to pay before they were conquered"
The Ottomans started well, the system works well, when you got a smart tolerant sultan, but becomes hell when a idoit or arseh**e is in power. This system slowly but surely degraded and it was hardest for christian peasants (and yes poor muslims too).

"
The division of the country into Muslim and non-Muslim halves led to tension and oppression. In the new hard times, Muslims had better access to arms, political power, bribes and other ways to defend their interests. Corrupted courts allowed local landlords to rob their Christian peasants. The burden of bad times fell on non-Muslims, and the country broke into rival blocks based on the "millets."" your source

Plaese note, we are going to remember and judge this above (more recent) situition, that led to the revolutions. Not what it was like many centuries ago when the ottomans had good leaders, when everthing was was like what you say and the theory was close to reality

Perseas View Drop Down
General
General
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Perseas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 09:11

Sometimes i tend to think Islam is probably filling the empty seat, left over from the Cold War era. For some, always has to be an enemy somewhere. This way they can easily justify a list of actions like extreme expenses on military stuff, etc.

The tools for achieving it...always the same story...demonising the opponent through negative stereotyping and distribution of false information assisted mostly from the media.

A mathematician is a person who thinks that if there are supposed to be three people in a room, but five come out, then two more must enter the room in order for it to be empty.
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 10:39
ok Ge:

You have avoided to adress my true questions on Berbers, meaning Berbers of Mauretania. You have also misread my question on Christian minorities "west of Egypt" talking about Christian minorities east of Egypt and in Egypt itself.

You also make an absurd comparison between Saudi Arabia, a country of 15 million people, with the Vatican City, an anachronistic virtual state that only comprises a cathedral and few other buildings. By doing this, you ignore my question on why there is no freedom of religion in countries like Saudi Arabia.

Furthermore, I will pose another question: I've been reading on Caliph Abd al-Rhaman III, first Caliph of Cordoba and the social and political situation of the Caliphate. And I found this intersting item: in Al Andalus there were professional guilds, simmilar in many things to other guilds of Europe to appear son after, yet, unlike "Christian" guilds that were independent associations with no further supervision, Muslim guilds resembled strangely to Stalinist labor unions or Fascist guilds: the almotacin, a religious officer, selected a particularly pious or moralist artisan as alamin or aarif, who was in charge of overseeing the behaviour of his colleagues. The authoritarian nature of Islamic state is very clear in this example, that still has many replicas in many Islamic states, such as Saudi Arabia or Iran. Am I wrong?

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Nov-2005 at 10:48
Originally posted by Aeolus

Sometimes i tend to think Islam is probably filling the empty seat, left over from the Cold War era. For some, always has to be an enemy somewhere. This way they can easily justify a list of actions like extreme expenses on military stuff, etc.

The tools for achieving it...always the same story...demonising the opponent through negative stereotyping and distribution of false information assisted mostly from the media.

You are absolutely right about this: when the Soviet Union collapsed, US imperialism and particularly the Military-Industrial complex that rules that country de facto faced a major challenge. First they tried to create some sort of enemy with Latin American drug cartels, yet they had a seriousproblem in the fact that most of them are actually allied of the USA and/or its local minions, and have an authoritarian right-wing ideology. Also, Latin America had lost part of its attraction as main focus, and they wanted to center in the Middle East, a most strategic area that obviously kind of grants global hegemony to the USA. Therefore Islamic fundamentalism was a much better choice as virtual enemy, specially considering the dificulty of accepting such a totalist doctrine as Islam by laicist western minds. Anyhow, anything that distorts the actual class and S-N conflict into something else is in principle beneficial for US interests and those of its affluent European and Japanese allies.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 02:01
Originally posted by cahaya

The topic here is Islam regarding the terrorism

and here i quote question and statement from arch.buff

my main question would be how does the Islamic religion view terrorist attacks not only on America soil but all over the world. Is the reason the majority of terrorist attacks are made by Islamic regimes because Muhammed forged the religion on forcefulness? Or is this an overstatement?

I wonder are u really wanna know how does muslims opinions and Islam perspectives on terrorism or you just try to heat up the topic to make it more interesting by stating tht Rasulullah forged the religion on forcefulness... I dont blame u coz sometimes the existing topic might not be adventurous enough...

Well.. in case tht u are really wnt to know Islam perspective on terrorism... (seems like repeating myself and other muslims forumers..).. it is opposite to what Islam is. By literally, the meaning of Islam is peace. In Arabic, Islm derives from the three-letter root S-L-M reflecting the meaning "to be in peaceful submission; to surrender; to obey; peace". (native arab speaker... plz correct me if i'm wrong here..).

if the non-muslims are focusing on Islam history on war to relate with terrorism in order to prove tht Islam is a religion with terrorist concept.. then i guess it is so unfair and irrational judgement coz i believe other religions or countries had war in order to expand and maintain their belief and territory too...

people nowadays misconcept on 'Jihad' term... It is far beyond what people have in mind.. it's not about killing people by killing urself too.. it is not by crashing the airplanes...

Originally posted by OSMANLI

]

I will first like to explain what the word Jihad is. In the linguistic sense, the Arabic word "jihad" means struggling or striving and applies to any effort exerted by anyone. In this sense, a student struggles and strives to get an education and pass course work; an employee strives to fulfill his/her job and maintain good relations with his/her employer; a politician strives to maintain or increase his popularity with his constituents and so on.

Therefore the meaning of Jihad is not only focusing on violence. In my condition.. me too can be considered in Jihad as a single status woman...

Originally posted by cok gec

then... why still focusing on Islam regarding on terrorism?

-First off Im not trying to heat up any debate, these were my sincere questions. Now Ive noticed the topic has shifted around a lil bit and I must say that I would agree that Islam does need a "voice" to be heard. For instance I am aware that every person that committed the 9/11 attacks were Saudi Arabians(except 1) and were also Islamic. Ive also heard video tapes and seen audio tapes of their leader Osama Bin Laden saying that Allah has commanded the killings of Americans. Now having said that Ive never heard any islamic group address and condemn these acts, except for middle eastern govts. I will admit that me and a lot of the people in this area of the US are ignorant in the aspect of Islam seeing as how Islam in this part of the US is basically non-existant and the lack of a unified voice of Islam is there to speak on behalf of the religion and their views. sometimes all we have to gain info is the media and I know you cant always believe what you hear but I personally watched middle-easterns burning the American flag and chanting and celebrating after the attacks. I certainly wouldnt think any Islamic or middle-eastern people on this board would do such things but I would like to hear, and have heard some of your personally views.

Infidel View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Infidel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 04:12

We've already said, I don't know how many times, that Islam doesn't support terrorism. How many more times do you want us to say it? Many muslims all around the world have naturally condemned such acts. Many american muslims have done so. If you don't believe it, fine. There is really little I (at least) can do about it. I can suggest you to go and read more about Islam with an open mind, about the millions of its people all around the world, its History and traditions, if possible to read a good translation of the Qur'an and, who knows, to visit a Mosque someday. Perhaps, you'll be unexpectedly and happily pleased.

Extremism exists within Islam (as within Christianity and Judaism, for instance), but it's not part of its nature or fundamentals, as some people try to imply. It's a result of many things summed up together. The post-colonial era of many arab countries has been unsuccessful, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the unability of many governments to provide for development and social welfare in those countries, etc. Then it's when religious extremism crashes onto scene, sometimes masked in political Islam. There's an overemphatization and glorification of martyrdom that leads these people to commit suicide bombings against those who they consider to be the enemies of their faith and their people. It's not a simple subject to deal with and not a simple one to solve.

Btw, how many times has the US government condemned the Israeli policies against the Palestinians?

Edited by Infidel
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 04:48
Aeolus, I also agree with you on this. My thoughts go something like this: The human psyche naturally needs an "other" in order to define itself. This changes and shifts over time.

Neighbouring nations (and I can think of a few) that a very similar in most respects, yet demonise each other due to the proximity and therefore shared (normally bad) history. When the world was very large your neighbour (despite being very similar to you) was your "other", as the world gets smaller this demonising became global.

Modern examples that got demonised would be jews, communist for the west, , bourgiase (spelling?) for the communist, and other empires (germans, japanese). And now islamic extremist.

MY guess is that the proximity of Sept11 has made this very pronounced in the USA, but even if they hadn't attcked, Iran was going to get the same treatment anyway. And the wheel turns

I hope i made sense
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 09:43

First greeting back all,

You have avoided to adress my true questions on Berbers, meaning Berbers of Mauretania.

Ok, Im not sure what do you mean by avoiding. You made the claim that the berbers were not religiously pressured by the Byzentine because they were not under its rule. I proved to you the opposite. In fact, from Eastern Egypt all the way to middle of Algeria is or was a Berber land and ruled by the Byzentine Empire too. Why would I care about Berber of Mali or Berber of Chad?

You also make an absurd comparison between Saudi Arabia, a country of 15 million people, with the Vatican City, an anachronistic virtual state that only comprises a cathedral and few other buildings

Size is no difference. Saudi Arabia used to have 500,000 inhabitant only at one point of time, does not change its status that it has now 20 millions. Still called by most Muslims "holy land" (of course not all Saudi Arabia since it is a political border too)Does not matter if it is a country of 200,000 or 70 millions. Neither it matters if it is a country of three street blocks or a whole region. The concept is the same applied in both cases. Size is no difference. 

By doing this, you ignore my question on why there is no freedom of religion in countries like Saudi Arabia.

I don't think I ignored your question. Go back to my previous post and you will see myself addressing the issue of freedom restriction in Iran and Saudi Arabia before you even mention it.

After all, I'm here to discuss and defend my view of my religion and not any government..

in Al Andalus there were professional guilds, simmilar in many things to other guilds of Europe to appear son after, yet, unlike "Christian" guilds that were independent associations with no further supervision, Muslim guilds resembled strangely to Stalinist labor unions or Fascist guilds: the almotacin, a religious officer, selected a particularly pious or moralist artisan as alamin or aarif, who was in charge of overseeing the behaviour of his colleagues. The authoritarian nature of Islamic state is very clear in this example, that still has many replicas in many Islamic states, such as Saudi Arabia or Iran. Am I wrong?

Well im not sure what exactly you mean by combining the idea of guild existance and using religious officers.

I will be interested to see where you pulled those information. I tried searching and Almotacin is a time period of Taifas or (small kingdoms) of late Andalucia rather than a religious police.

Either case, if you think Saudi Arabia has this authoritarian nature, sure why not. It is not the Kingdom of God to defend. Regarding that using alamin and so and so were examples of authoritarian nature of Islamic state, I think you overlook that while a police officer exists to roam the streets of Cordoba, Paris and London streets were busy burning heritics and cults. Also I forgot to mention that most of the Crusades were actually against other fellow Christians. In this an environment, I don't think your example point out to an authoritarian nature of that era.

Finally, many things that were not instructed in our religion are taken to be part of our religion. For example, Kings rules and successors based on blood are examples of an authoritarian nature. While most of the Islamic states adopted it (since that was the basic most common nature of government in the old world), interesting enough, the early times of Islam applied the concept of selection based on qualifications. Definietely was abolished by the rise of Ummayids.

Edited by ok ge
D.J. Kaufman
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 09:58
Originally posted by Infidel

We've already said, I don't know how many times, that Islam doesn't support terrorism. How many more times do you want us to say it? Many muslims all around the world have naturally condemned such acts. Many american muslims have done so. If you don't believe it, fine. There is really little I (at least) can do about it. I can suggest you to go and read more about Islam with an open mind, about the millions of its people all around the world, its History and traditions, if possible to read a good translation of the Qur'an and, who knows, to visit a Mosque someday. Perhaps, you'll be unexpectedly and happily pleased.

Extremism exists within Islam (as within Christianity and Judaism, for instance), but it's not part of its nature or fundamentals, as some people try to imply. It's a result of many things summed up together. The post-colonial era of many arab countries has been unsuccessful, the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, the unability of many governments to provide for development and social welfare in those countries, etc. Then it's when religious extremism crashes onto scene, sometimes masked in political Islam. There's an overemphatization and glorification of martyrdom that leads these people to commit suicide bombings against those who they consider to be the enemies of their faith and their people. It's not a simple subject to deal with and not a simple one to solve.

Btw, how many times has the US government condemned the Israeli policies against the Palestinians?

arch.buff .. i guess infedel has answered ur curiousity...

ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 10:00

Now having said that Ive never heard any islamic group address and condemn these acts, except for middle eastern govts. I will admit that me and a lot of the people in this area of the US are ignorant in the aspect of Islam seeing as how Islam in this part of the US is basically non-existant and the lack of a unified voice of Islam is there to speak on behalf of the religion and their views

You didn't hear any Islamic group addressing and condemning 9/11 and terrorist attacks because of your media and not the Muslim world.

Your media is the one that chose to show Palestinians kids in refugee camps in Lebabon celebrating 9/11 and destriputing candies, but at the same time ignored other Palestinian kids in Ramallah school standing one minute silence for the 9/11 tragedy.

Your Media is the one that chose to ignore a silent minute by Iranians in Tehran

Your media is the one that chose to ignore a peacful rally in support of 9/11 vitcims by Bangladishis:

Your media is the one that chose to ignore Muslim Americans in all states and especially Florida lighting candles for those victims:

Finally, you yourself chose to ignore the statements of three major American organizations that represent 90% of American Muslims. I said you yourself because these have been publicized on CNN

Statements from Leading American Muslim Organizations:

*Statement from Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) on the Tragedy of September 11th.

Press release from CAIR on September 11th

*Statement from Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA) on September 11th.

*Statement from Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) on September 11th

D.J. Kaufman
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Nov-2005 at 10:03
good job cok gec
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>