Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Name of Renaissance Infantry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Name of Renaissance Infantry
    Posted: 24-Nov-2005 at 13:44

I'm doing a research actually and i cant find it either goggle and yahoo...

i was wondering what's the name of the army on board of Medina-Sedonia's Spanish Armada...

It's Start with letter P and i'm kinda forgot wat's the name of the army...

It was said that they are the Elite Army of Spanish and was on board towards England. in the Elizabeth Era.

In Japan, There's Samurai, In The Ottoman Turks, there's Jannisary, in Russia, Ukraine and other related had the Cossacks, The Mongols has their horseman.... and omg, what's the name of the army who ride on camel's back in the Saladin's Army who fought against the Crusaders... o.O"

tadamson View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tadamson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 05:21
Originally posted by dj pepper

I'm doing a research actually and i cant find it either goggle and yahoo...

i was wondering what's the name of the army on board of Medina-Sedonia's Spanish Armada...

It's Start with letter P and i'm kinda forgot wat's the name of the army...

It was said that they are the Elite Army of Spanish and was on board towards England. in the Elizabeth Era.

In Japan, There's Samurai, In The Ottoman Turks, there's Jannisary, in Russia, Ukraine and other related had the Cossacks, The Mongols has their horseman.... and omg, what's the name of the army who ride on camel's back in the Saladin's Army who fought against the Crusaders... o.O"

The bulk of the army was meant to be picked up from the Low Countries.  I'm not exactly clear what you are looking for but the Spanish infantry were organised into large units called Tercios, I think that's what you are looking for.

This web side give details on the Tercios, including information on the army for the invasion of England in 1588 :
http://www.geocities.com/ao1617/organisationUK.html

"...- For the operation of the invasion of England in 1588, the Army of Flanders had 4 Tercios (Bobabilla, Queralt Leyva and Manrique) with 82 companies (17 of which where of the harquebusiers type) numbering 8710 men. That means an average company of 106 men far away from the theoretically 250 men in each one. Only 6 000 infantrymen will be used in the invasion army..."

Edited by tadamson
rgds.

Tom..
Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 06:32
Unless you're talking of the Duke of Parma, who was in charge of the Army of Flanders or maybe of the pikemen (rather halberdiers probalbly) of the Spanish infantery, I can't imagine what you are thinking about that starts with "P". 

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 14:18

maybe....... the Army of Palma i think or Parma...... something i heard from Discovery Channel explaning how their got lost and die in Irish coast.

and thanks for the info.... The Tercio(Bobabilla, Queralt Leyva and Manrique)  i'll search them for picture of em <333

Maju View Drop Down
King
King

Quote Maju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2005 at 14:43
Well, the Duke of Parma and his invasion army never embarked. Who were lost near Ireland were most of the ships of the Armada. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Armada for more details.

NO GOD, NO MASTER!
 Post Reply Post Reply